Does anyone else HAVE to install games (Scratched Discs, xbox)

Thrust_Muscle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Thrust_Muscle

I have over the course of time noticed that my xbox360 tends to scratch discs if played without being installed to the hard-drive first, which has FORCED me to buy a bigger hard-drive so i can play more than one game without having to delete and install first.   

I was just wondering if anyone else is having this problem? P.S i love my xbox360, its never given me any problems and i am happy to say its still my first xbox, which i know from my friends is something i should be happy saying.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By hatking

First of all I love The IT Crowd. :) 

Secondly no, I haven't had to do that.  Although that does sound helpful, I'd rather install a game than buy a new copy of it.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By iam3green

no, i don't have any problems like that. the only problem is if it gets moved when it's on.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Rowr

The disc drive on mine is unreliable as fuck so i always install everything. My last 360 was the same. Sometimes it refuses to see the disc is in there, and i spend a bunch of time opening and closing the drive. Good thing the hard drive is so big.

Manatassi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Manatassi
@Rowr: You should get that repaired if its in warranty thats a manufacture fault. 

Havent had any problems with mine personally, I usually install the games I'm playing most at the moment to save the drive spinning and reduce noise.
Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

Yea I have to do that with a couple of my games actually, Fallout 3 and Rainbow 6 Vegas spring to mind, I don't know why they're like this I treat my discs very carefully.  I'm guessing that heat might have something to do with it.  Also games that I have to install to the hard drive are Fable 2 and Mass Effect, I cannot stand to play either of those games without installing as it improves the framerate and texture pop in so much it's just ridiculous. 

Also HatKing is correct, IT Crowd is awesome

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Coombs

Never had that problem with either of my 360's
Though I did have that problem with my original Xbox

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By PureRok

The fourth disc of Lost Odyssey requires me to install it, and that I have to try five or six times before it works. The US release of Lost Odyssey had the fourth disc in a paper case inside the main case, and supposedly the paper case made the disc messed up for some people.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Rowr
@Manatassi said:

" @Rowr: You should get that repaired if its in warranty thats a manufacture fault.  Havent had any problems with mine personally, I usually install the games I'm playing most at the moment to save the drive spinning and reduce noise. "

Well the current ones my girlfriends and she bought it on craigslist, so i dunno about that one. As for the one back at home im not using - the problems are so inconsistent i could probably never prove it easily to the warranty guys. I have heard that disc drives are fairly unreliable on 360's and usually the second most frequent issue next to the rrod. The xbox i had before that one was a launch and would frequently dirty disc error, but i recall that was a pretty common thing at the time also.
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

My hard-drive's not big enough to install games and I sure as heck can't afford a new one, but although you can definitely tell when a disc has been used in my machine I've not had a problem with my 360 scratching any of my discs. 

P.S. I appreciate your appreciation for The IT Crowd.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Meowayne

Depends on the game. Lost Odyssey almost requires an install, not only because it cuts the loading times in half, but also because otherwise it crashes frequently with a disc read error; which isn't too great for a game that utlizes save points.