Does anyone here still play Killzone 2?

mercutio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mercutio123

I popped it in yesterday and it really hit me how great the game actually is, especially the online play which I found pretty refreshing and required a bit more teamwork then other console based titles in my opinion. I've never played Killzone 3 and only ordered it yesterday but playing through 2 again it surprises me how "forgotten"(?) the franchise has been despite being pretty great, sure the characters and story are a bit meh but the gameplay gives its own spin on the FPS, and I appreciated the feeling of weight to the weapons that you don't get from many shooters these days.

MegaLombax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MegaLombax

Personally, Killzone 2 >> Killzone 3. Though the set pieces in KZ3 was far more impressive, KZ3 for me just became a mindless shooting gallery. I appreciated the fact that in KZ2 it took more shots to down an enemy that it forces you to think where to shoot. Whereas in KZ3 it just felt like an enemy after another.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By mosespippy

My copy got stolen by an old roommate.

My biggest issue with Killzone 2 multiplayer was that it didn't feel like it was designed for 32 players. For example, the plant bomb mode on Tharsis Depot. The objective for one team is to plant 2 bombs in a room that is 8 feet x 10 feet. With 32 players tossing renades through the 3 doors it gets crowded and non tactical. When the other team needs to plant bombs it's in an open area with balconies overlooking. It's still 32 players focused on 1 location but there is space to move and there is no funnel for grenades. The only map that was big enough for 32 players was Phyrrus Rise. The rest were better at 16 or 12 players.

I still think Killzone Liberation had the best multiplayer of the series. The 4vs4 top down shooter style is really tactical and every weapon had a counter. Even if the host set the default starting weapon as chaingun or rocket launcher the good players would go to a supply drop and get a revolver (which is powerful enough to knock a player out of attack stance) or micro machine gun (which allows you to move fast enough to get up close to rocket launchers and unload a clip super quick). I also love that everybody has a syringe so that if their teammate gets below 50% health you can heal them but you can't heal yourself. Everybody moved in teams of two because of that. It's a shame that after 2 weeks the game got hacked and everyone started using mods like infinite grenades. I hope they remake the multiplayer as a PSN game.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By dbz1995

My brother rented the game for a week from Blockbuster, and I basically played it every day for the seven days I could. That game is awesome-I'm always kinda surprised that the hype for it dimmed down completely after release.

scalpel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By scalpel

I played the multiplayer non-stop while the shotgun auto-aim bug was in effect. Played some more recently and the game is still worth its full price.

nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By nickux

I liked the campaign of Killzone 2 perhaps a bit more than KZ3 but I think the multiplayer in the latter game is much better. The multiplayer in that series is one of those overlooked gems but it has a small, dedicated following.

bchampnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By bchampnd

Killzone 2 could have been amazing. Visari was an iconic villain and they really could have made a truly interesting story there - they actually have, it's just trapped away in the game's lore on a website instead of being heavily integrated in the games themselves. I definitely recommend reading the backstory online if you find yourself remotely interested in the game's universe.

The problem it runs into is that it becomes just another dudes in space shooting adventure (and, of course, Rico, who makes you want to just play on mute) and doesn't flesh out its world enough. In terms of gameplay, I really liked the "weight" of the controls in Killzone 2. The guns also looked and sounded great and shots really do seem to have impact (even if there are some bullet spongy opponents).

I do, however, think that the game shows age now and that you should probably pick up Killzone 3. I haven't played it much in awhile but when you get into a good game of Warzone with the rotating objectives and play with people who know what they're doing instead of just worry about K/D ratio it's pretty sweet and you can definitely sink a bunch of hours into it (that also applies to KZ2's multiplayer but I'm not sure how many people are still active online in that game).

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Hizang

I have that game in my backlog, but when I bought it I assumed I was buying the original version. I took it to the counter, he went into the back room and handed me a cracked platinum case and told me to have a nice day.

Fuck Killzone 2.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By iam3green

no, but i need to play the game. i have just i never got to play the game.

sabby_po

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By sabby_po

@bchampnd: I dug the storyline/story progression in KZ2. It was just the story of one infantry squad/platoon making it's way through a battle. It had a good Saving Private Ryan / Band of Brothers vibe.

Unfortunately, most people didn't see it that way, so they bitched endlessly and we ended up with the mess of a plot that was in Killzone 3. Thanks a lot!

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Doctorchimp

Fuck Rico.

Killzone 2 was the only one I played. The campaign was okay, except for Rico. The multiplayer was pretty mediocre.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everything I remember about KZ2 is it being all-around fun and solid shooter, but nothing memorable. Really the only thing I remember about it is the kinda weight-y feel the guns had, which I liked.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By mosespippy

@Hizang: That's how I ended up with 2 copies of Valkyria Chronicles. Nobody bought it when it came out so they didn't make very many copies so it was hard to find. I had to settle for a cracked copy. A week later I found it new and bought that. Despite not opening the cracked copy and being within EB Games' 1 week return policy window they would not refund the cracked copy. So I spent $65 and $70 on 2 copies of Valkyria Chronicles and then bought the 4 DLC packs. The game is so good I think I paid about what it's worth.

bchampnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By bchampnd

@sabby_po said:

@bchampnd: I dug the storyline/story progression in KZ2. It was just the story of one infantry squad/platoon making it's way through a battle. It had a good Saving Private Ryan / Band of Brothers vibe.

Unfortunately, most people didn't see it that way, so they bitched endlessly and we ended up with the mess of a plot that was in Killzone 3. Thanks a lot!

It could have had a good vibe had it not been for the writing. They nailed it when putting together the Helghast, particularly Visari, dialogue portions but that's what makes the disaster that is everything uttered by the ISO members even more noticeably bad.