• 85 results
#1 Posted by AcidBrandon18 (787 posts) -

Because if he doesn't I swear he needs one. The amount of crap he gets from playing games live is ridiculous, especially after the Darkness feature. So should we create a BDF?

#2 Posted by buft (3320 posts) -

what happened on the darkness feature? im not a premium member and didnt watch but these guys get a lot of hassle from a vocal minority regardless of their actions. I'm sure they don't really care.

#3 Posted by TruthTellah (9470 posts) -

Brad is the best! He simply needs to accept the pitch black darkness within his soul so that he can harness the unlimited power of anger and fear. :D

Cards Against Humanity, Breaking Brad, and Brad Takes On The Darkness have already shown us that the demons are inside; he just has to stop suppressing them and let the darkness guide him to ultimate victory.

#4 Posted by DonChipotle (2840 posts) -

That's silly. No one needs a defense force. That's like white knighting but somehow even sadder.

#5 Posted by Jimbo (9983 posts) -

I for one would like to wish him the best of luck with his impending aid mission to Abyssinia.

#6 Posted by AcidBrandon18 (787 posts) -

@buft: A lot of dieing and a lot of talking about Klingons.

#7 Posted by ShaggE (6698 posts) -

The comment section is always the worst of the community gathered together, but I can understand (some of) the frustration this time. They simply could not let go of that Klingon tangent, LONG after it had stopped being funny, and Brad seemed to be actively undermining his own progress at every turn.

#8 Posted by AcidBrandon18 (787 posts) -

@ShaggE: I struggled with the feature myself. Also nice Tim & Eric avatar.

#9 Posted by ShaggE (6698 posts) -

@AcidBrandon18: Cheers! Yeah, I stopped watching around the part where Brad kept running off when getting info from the guy in the subway, then wondering why he didn't know what to do. I totally get that watching him play in silence would be incredibly boring, but watching him run about in confusion because he can't take a minute to listen isn't exactly compelling either.

I really do like Brad and Patrick, but I feel like they need Jeff, Vinny, or Ryan as a buffer to keep things moving.

#10 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4878 posts) -

@AcidBrandon18 said:

Because if he doesn't I swear he needs one. The amount of crap he gets from playing games live is ridiculous, especially after the Darkness feature. So should we create a BDF?

Brad really doesn't deserve the hate for The Darkness thing. He was 8-9 hours deep into the campaign when he started and he knew absolutely nothing. Dave and Patrick should've acted as a support structure to help him get through it, but instead they decided to dick around and talk about Klingons for most of it. This would be fine if Brad wasn't constantly saying he needed help, that he didn't know what to do, or how to use his powers, or hell, that staying in the dark made you damn near invincible. I don't know about other people but when a friend of mine is obviously struggling and desires help, I give it to them. The fact that Patrick waited so damn long to even glance at the chat for aid is all the more infuriating because it was there the whole time. The chat is always willing to assist in these matters.

So yeah, I feel like Brad got screwed out of what is an awesome home stretch for an underrated gem.

#11 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

I don't mind that Brad is bad at videogames. I mind when Brad doesn't pick up on super obvious clues from the game because he isn't paying attention, goes all passive aggressive and then blames the game.

#12 Posted by Cincaid (2959 posts) -

No he doesn't need a defense force, and yes people are major, loud and obnoxious dicks on the Internet.

#13 Posted by AcidBrandon18 (787 posts) -

My problem isn't the fact Brad died a lot during the feature as The Darkness can be rather challenging at times. My problem is that Brad played the game as if he was suffering from ADD. The main focus of the feature was to help people get a better understanding of The Darkness 2 so they have a good idea of what happened in the first game. Brad showed the mechanics well, but skipped the important story beats by running away from the person talking and the few times he did listen to a person speak it would be drowned out by Klingon talk. Some people probably have never played the Darkness and are interested in The Darkness 2. I would have recommended this video to those people if it weren't for all the missed story instances.

#14 Posted by CptChiken (1987 posts) -

Brad could have prepared a little better for it, but have always known that brad is not the most adept person at FPS games. Patrick and dave were WAY too ffocused on that stupid kilngon thing they started. Also Comments of videos are ALWAYS full of hate.

#15 Posted by GuyIncognito (445 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

I don't mind that Brad is bad at videogames. I mind when Brad doesn't pick up on super obvious clues from the game because he isn't paying attention, goes all passive aggressive and then blames the game.

Did you guys watch the Shadow of the Colossus quick look? :3

#16 Posted by AcidBrandon18 (787 posts) -

@GuyIncognito: Sadly I did. lol

#17 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Does anybody want to post the picture of a bunch of Zergs with Brad's face?

#18 Posted by AcidBrandon18 (787 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: I've never seen it. :/

#19 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

Brad is so brad at video games.

#20 Posted by Drebin_893 (2933 posts) -

Personally Brad's probably my favourite member of staff. I hate people on the internet.

#21 Posted by kishinfoulux (2506 posts) -

People on the internet are just fucking stupid. It's not just Brad. They've crapped on all the guys at one point or another. Just enjoy the features for what they are. Stop taking them so damn seriously. The hilarious part is they clearly hate the feature but they'll keep watching it anyways. No one is forcing you.

#22 Posted by GuyIncognito (445 posts) -

@Cincaid said:

No he doesn't need a defense force, and yes people are major, loud and obnoxious dicks on the Internet.

@Oldirtybearon said:

Brad really doesn't deserve the hate for The Darkness thing. He was 8-9 hours deep into the campaign when he started and he knew absolutely nothing.

@kishinfoulux said:

People on the internet are just fucking stupid. It's not just Brad.

XD

The comments in this thread are full of unintended comedy and irony.

#23 Posted by Humanity (10053 posts) -

The problem is that Brad has this very black and white attitude about games where they're either best games ever or he just couldn't give less of a shit.

#24 Posted by AngelN7 (2973 posts) -

Where do I sign?.

#25 Posted by Dtat (1630 posts) -
@Cloudenvy

Qft. Love Brad, but he does that constantly. He really shouldn't be put in the driver's seat so often.
#26 Edited by Chop (1998 posts) -

Brad is awesome. People bitching about how he plays on camera need to get in touch with reality. I doubt that they would do any better in his position (playing a game they're not intimately familiar with while trying to entertain for the camera).

I guess this makes me a BDF member?

#27 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8605 posts) -

I'll defend Brad, he can call me anytime.

#28 Posted by Yanngc33 (4461 posts) -

@Humanity said:

The problem is that Brad has this very black and white attitude about games where they're either best games ever or he just couldn't give less of a shit.

That's not necessarily true, he has that weird middle ground where he claims that a game is "fine" but that we shouldn't buy it. That confuses the shit out of me sometimes.

#29 Posted by laserbolts (5365 posts) -

The bitching about Brad play is pretty dumb. It really is not that big of a deal guys. Besides when it comes to the chat during live stuff he's not reading it anyways so its pointless.

#30 Posted by max3000 (371 posts) -

I don't mind Brad - But I do mind when he's driving. Weird thing is - he'll kick your ass at Quake III and maybe SC. But put him in a game where you need extreme situational awareness and master multiple mechanics like BF3 and he's toast.

#31 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

He is picked on the most because of he allows it to happen, pulling a brad, breaking brad. He knows he messes up more often than others and likes to put on a good show

#32 Edited by eskimo (481 posts) -

I dunno if he has a defense force, but he is clearly the brightest of the bunch. <3 the team, but Brad seems like an intellectual and my tastes most match with his.

#33 Posted by ThePickle (4165 posts) -

Me.

#34 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4801 posts) -

He doesn't need one. The people who legitimately get mad at and lose their minds over him will tear each other apart eventually thanks to their stupidity...

#35 Posted by The_Nubster (2354 posts) -

I like Brad. :)

#36 Edited by flanker22 (124 posts) -

i came to giantbomb with brad as one of my favorite staff member, since he was always into the technology aspects of video games, but its really difficult to defend his gameplay.

i dont think people hate him, but the things he does or misses can be frustrating to watch.

#37 Posted by Humanity (10053 posts) -

It can be slightly unnerving watching a feature like that. I mean they came up with it, ostensibly all agreed to do it. Then you have that moment where theres an important scene where a dying character is telling you important plot points and Brad literally can't keep still enough to listen to it - to the point where Patrick has to talk him into staying and listening. So I didn't rage or anything but I thought "whats the point of this if Brad is seemingly completely uninterested in playing" We all know he's capable of paying attention and getting engrossed in the story. Brad always mentioned how in skyrim he read all those books and enjoyed the backstories of people so he must have been able to stand still to listen to them. So again, if he doesn't want to do it here, why do it at all and half ass it - the whole premise behind the site is doing fun things they enjoy.

#38 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Yeah, but it's not as big or hostile as Patrick's. I guess he can handle himself a little better.

#39 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Playing games live on the internet is different from playing games by yourself.

#40 Posted by nomorehalfmeasuresdoctor (143 posts) -

@rebgav said:

@AcidBrandon18 said:

You could create one but Brad will almost certainly make life hard for you.

No one said this was going to be easy. I haven't watched the video yet but I usually disagree with the negative comments on videos such as these. They seem to mostly come from peoples' internal hopes and desires for the way a game they enjoy should be presented. That Brad and crew are somehow sullying it's good name and putting potential players off of playing it by poorly playing the game. Of course this doesn't apply to everyone as sometimes people are just fed up with the way Brad plays or his general personality. Of course they don't have to watch anymore of the video if they feel that way, but if they have concerns they have every right to voice them.

#41 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

I don't know, I think Brad is old enough to take care of himself and I don't really see why he needs or even wants a defense force.  
He did actually suck at The Darkness, a lot. Not using the Darkness at all (not even having it out just so he wouldn't die for being shot 2 times) so people were saying "use the darkness" and stuff.  

Creating any sort of defense force sorta just proves that this community is filled with a lot of 10 year olds. Stop humping dicks and realize that Brad can take care of himself instead of disrespecting him and saying he's so weak that he needs a bunch of kids to protect him. 

#42 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@GuyIncognito said:

@Cincaid said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

Brad really doesn't deserve the hate for The Darkness thing. He was 8-9 hours deep into the campaign when he started and he knew absolutely nothing.

@kishinfoulux said:

People on the internet are just fucking stupid. It's not just Brad.

XD

The comments in this thread are full of unintended comedy and irony.

What a meta post.
#43 Posted by AndrewB (7689 posts) -

The crap wrap is not exclusive to Brad. One of the first comments I saw on the new TNT was someone complaining that Ryan sucks at playing Twisted Metal.

#44 Edited by aceofspudz (935 posts) -

I used to play games in a similar way to Brad. I'd miss a ton of cues and generally not know what to do. Games I found difficult other people would find easy.

I think it boils down to this: I was treating the game world mechanics as kind of like the real world. When you're trying to get something done in the real world there is a ton of noise that you naturally ignore: irrelevant locations on maps, irrelevant things people are saying, irrelevant objects in the room, etc.

In game worlds the things other people are saying to you are 100% signal, more or less. When I realized this, all games became infinitely easier. When the mechanics told me to do something I would do it, regardless of how stupid, absurd, thinly justified, or non-sequitor that thing was. I would just turn off my brain and shuffle over to where I was being directed.

If you focus you can look at every element in the game as simply a proxy for the game designer pointing you in the right direction. When you are doing something in a game reality bends to support your effort: only specific doors or paths are lit up, people will only say specific and pertinent things to you, and whatever weapons/resources you need to overcome the challenge you're faced with are likely to be nearby, if not in the same room. Brad probably knows this stuff on an intellectual level but he plays like he hasn't made the visceral realization.

Edit: I should add that I extended this lesson back to real life and it made a number of things simpler there, too. So the moral probably goes beyond vidja games and into psychology, but that seems kind of OT.

#45 Posted by weegieanawrench (1943 posts) -

Brad doesn't need a defense force, he's a grown man. Stop worrying about the way a game should be played and enjoy what's being presented.

#46 Posted by qawsed (145 posts) -

The only thing that really kills me about Brad is his indecisiveness during open world/nonlinear games. There were so many times in the Deadly Premonition Endurance Run when he'd decide to go somewhere, get 3/4ths of the way there, and then change his mind.

#47 Edited by handlas (2748 posts) -

doesnt seem like it...can't watch the Darkness video but I scrolled the comments. People need to take the sticks out of their as*es.

I find myself getting annoyed at the Patrick hate. Guy does nothing annoying imo and people jsut hate on him. Think it is the new kid on the block sort of thing and I find it childish.

And Mr.Davis is my favorite GB member; I enjoy when he's on quicklooks.

#48 Posted by jayjonesjunior (1087 posts) -

he doesn't need one because he doesn't give a shit for what you nolifers think about him.

#49 Posted by Subjugation (4740 posts) -

Haters gonna hate.

#50 Edited by wjb (1696 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

I like Brad, but that second sentence is something I really wish he improves on in the future. It happens more than it should, and it's frustrating to listen to. I'm watching the Darkness video now, and even though I'm enjoying it, I just got past the part when he kept on dying in that WWI hell-scape 30 minutes or so in. It took him multiple tries to realize enemies were also behind him.

I love ya, Brad, but sometimes it isn't the game's fault.

@GuyIncognito said:

Did you guys watch the Shadow of the Colossus quick look? :3

Oh god. That was hard to watch toward the end. I've never seen anyone completely disregard something so obvious, like a meter on a HUD.