• 65 results
Edited 1 year, 7 months ago

Poll: Does Denis Dyack deserve to be heading up "Shadow of the Eternals"? (229 votes)

Hell Yes 22%
Hell No 78%
#51 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

Yo

#52 Posted by lemonlateralus (102 posts) -

Hmm...seems awfully controlled.

#53 Edited by Jeust (10861 posts) -

@artisanbreads said:

.... "deserve" is a very odd way to put it. Weird.

Pretty sure his company made the original game. If you don't like it, don't kickstart it and don't play it.

Pretty much. It's his game. He deserves making it.

#54 Posted by oraknabo (1514 posts) -

Sure. Does he deserve your money to make it is the important question.

#55 Posted by Little_Socrates (5718 posts) -

Sure. It's his franchise, and he should get a chance to really continue it. It's not like anybody else should continue it instead. If ED is getting a prequel, Dyack should be involved.

Am I gonna trust him to do a good job? Hell no! Not only is the original Eternal Darkness super-overrated (the parts that are good ARE good, but the art/combat/characters/story/score are all super-lame) but Dyack has never, ever, EVER made a game that I like. AND THEN there's all the stuff that got said about X-Men Destiny. Like, yeah, no way I'm touching that.

#56 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

Sure. It's his franchise, and he should get a chance to really continue it. It's not like anybody else should continue it instead. If ED is getting a prequel, Dyack should be involved.

Am I gonna trust him to do a good job? Hell no! Not only is the original Eternal Darkness super-overrated (the parts that are good ARE good, but the art/combat/characters/story/score are all super-lame) but Dyack has never, ever, EVER made a game that I like. AND THEN there's all the stuff that got said about X-Men Destiny. Like, yeah, no way I'm touching that.

Eternal Darkness is not his franchise. He has no ownership of it. The IP in whole is property of Nintendo. And I sincerely doubt that Dyack would ever go back to working under Nintendo's management again.

#57 Edited by Nardak (583 posts) -

I think Denis Dyack made the fatal mistake of getting into an argument with neogaf. Developers should learn not to start arguing with their most hardcore customers about stuff relating to games.

In the end it is a service based industry like any other industry. People are quite willing to say if they dont like a certain movie and that same thing applies to games.

#58 Posted by RazielCuts (2987 posts) -

" Precursor Games will accept donations immediately upon receipt; there is no minimum aggregate goal for funding.

A donation cannot be cancelled or returned once it has been completed, whether or not Precursor Games completes the Game or fulfils the specified reward.

Precursor Games is under no obligation to complete the Game, or in the event completion is impossible, return any of the donations it has received. "

Link - http://www.precursorgames.com/shadowoftheeternals/campaign/terms-of-use/. Sketchy as fuuuuccck!

#59 Posted by alternate (2720 posts) -

I am not sure why anyone thinks he is a fraud. He has awful business sense (suing epic was a disaster waiting to happen) but he at least put out some games. Did a lot better than say 3D Realms.

#60 Edited by Little_Socrates (5718 posts) -

@hailinel: It's not legally his franchise, but it's silly to say it's not his. He was the lead director, producer, and writer. It was definitively his team.

#61 Edited by ProfessorEss (7523 posts) -

Does he deserve to? Sure, why not.

Do I understand why anyone would give him money to do so? Not at all.

(I notice I'm not the only one around here who feels this way)

#62 Edited by StingerMK2 (386 posts) -

I honestly don't know the in's and out's of the whole situation, and the whole SK shenanigans seems shady as fuck, but a big part of me want this "kickstarter" to succeed, few games have stuck with me like Eternal Darkness has and I'd love to see a modern take on it.

Having said that I will not support Denis Dyack or Precursor games until I know there is a product worth buying there, having just looked at their website and seeing how far along it is, I can't see this happening, it's unfortunate they couldn't keep their shit together enough to make this game more traditionally, but Dyack in particular has proven himself untrustworthy again and again over the last 6 or 7 years so I can't say I'm surprised.

#63 Edited by EXTomar (4951 posts) -

There is no reason why anyone should deny Denis Dyack from making more games. However I will give his company no more money unless they prove they can deliver a quality product. I wish him luck on getting this funded but they will not get money from me.

#64 Edited by ProfessorEss (7523 posts) -

@stingermk2 said:

...having just looked at their website and seeing how far along it is, I can't see this happening...

I know I should be saying "it's their own damn fault" but man I'm gonna feel bad for that person who donated $5000 when this thing fails.

(edit: apologies, missed the edit to their legal where they offer potential refunds)

#65 Posted by lemonlateralus (102 posts) -

Someone donated $5000?!