• 55 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Edited by SmugDarkLoser (4619 posts) -

* topic title is meant as a question, not a "I told you so" sentence.  Hard to define tone sometimes.


Is it just me, or does it seem like Epic is such a hated game developer?

They use to be hugely popular with the pc crowd, it starting to die quickly with gears 1 (do to the turn to the X360) and it completely died with UT3.
Then console gamers don't seem to fond of them as seen by the fact that everyone bashes them over the multiplayer in Gears 2.

And the worst, their engine sucks.  Maybe it's easy to use, but if you notice, almost every game that uses it has some sort of technical problem.  Texture pop up is guaranteed and I do not recall a single game without it that uses the engine besides Lost Odyssey.  Then tons run poorly and the engine gives a dinstinct meh look (although obviously it varies, just most look blandish).

#2 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

I haven't heard of anyone hating Epic recently.  I am not a big fan of Gears of War, but I do not hate them at all.  They make good games and that is fine by me

#3 Posted by Captain_Fookup (1519 posts) -

Troll makes another fine troll post, good job.

#4 Posted by William (441 posts) -

I love them.

#5 Edited by Geno (6477 posts) -

The thing with Epic is they haven't done anything new for a really long time. Gears were good games but it was still UT3 engine FPS stuff that they've been doing since forever. I don't think people hate Epic, but it's repute has certainly been in decline for some time.

Captain_Fookup said:

"Troll makes another fine troll post, good job."
Your posts, which consist of nothing more than calling other people trolls, are somehow of higher quality?
#6 Posted by shadows_kill (3165 posts) -

i really dont remember people hating epic really. yeah some of there games have been bad or had problems but i still think there a good developer but i wish they would start using a new gaming engine definatly.

#7 Posted by Hexpane (1397 posts) -

This is the epitome of trolling. 

Cliche

  1. "Does everyone/anyone hate popular thingX"
  2. "Is it just me or.."
  3. "Bunch of random hater anecdotes"
#8 Posted by Captain_Fookup (1519 posts) -
Geno said:
"The thing with Epic is they haven't done anything new for a really long time. Gears were good games but it was still UT3 engine FPS stuff that they've been doing since forever. I don't think people hate Epic, but it's repute has certainly been in decline for some time.

Captain_Fookup said:
"Troll makes another fine troll post, good job."
Your posts, which consist of nothing more than calling other people trolls, are somehow of higher quality? "
I use the word to define someone when needed. DarkSmugLoser is a troll it's just sad that he doesn't know it.
#9 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -
Captain_Fookup said:
"Geno said:
"The thing with Epic is they haven't done anything new for a really long time. Gears were good games but it was still UT3 engine FPS stuff that they've been doing since forever. I don't think people hate Epic, but it's repute has certainly been in decline for some time.

Captain_Fookup said:
"Troll makes another fine troll post, good job."
Your posts, which consist of nothing more than calling other people trolls, are somehow of higher quality? "
I use the word to define someone when needed. DarkSmugLoser is a troll it's just sad that he doesn't know it.
"

Sorry it's just that your posts are usually just "you're a troll gtfo", which I find ironic.
#10 Posted by dsplayer1010 (2227 posts) -

Well when the online is practically broken, people have the right to complain about it

#11 Posted by Captain_Fookup (1519 posts) -
Geno said:
"Captain_Fookup said:
"Geno said:
"The thing with Epic is they haven't done anything new for a really long time. Gears were good games but it was still UT3 engine FPS stuff that they've been doing since forever. I don't think people hate Epic, but it's repute has certainly been in decline for some time.

Captain_Fookup said:
"Troll makes another fine troll post, good job."
Your posts, which consist of nothing more than calling other people trolls, are somehow of higher quality? "
I use the word to define someone when needed. DarkSmugLoser is a troll it's just sad that he doesn't know it.
"
Sorry it's just that your posts are usually just "you're a troll gtfo", which I find ironic. "
Lurking my profile now eh? I'm used to having stalkers on Facebook, but on Giantbomb that's just a whole new kind of naughty.
#12 Posted by Kowalski (262 posts) -

The only troll is the one calling another person a troll. That's the true form of trolling.

Epic is alright, but I don't really care about most of their games. I don't see why anybody would hate them though, and if they did I'd urge them to get some sort of meaningful life going.

#13 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

No it's just that whenever I see any forum post of yours while I'm reading a thread it's just you saying someone is a troll. Even with your 900 posts I doubt that you contributed even a handful of meaningful ones, so I think it would benefit everyone and quit spamming "troll" everywhere you go, which is both spamming and flaming. And don't think so much of yourself.

#14 Posted by Hexpane (1397 posts) -
Geno said:
"No it's just that whenever I see any forum post of yours while I'm reading a thread it's just you saying someone is a troll. Even with your 900 posts I doubt that you contributed even a handful of meaningful ones, so I think it would benefit everyone and quit spamming "troll" everywhere you go, which is both spamming and flaming. And don't think so much of yourself. "
Take it to PMs
#15 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

PC gamers hate Epic
PS3 gamers mostly hate Epic
360 owners who loved Gears 1 online hate Epic
Some people who can appreciate how much most of these UE3 games suck hate Epic

I actually like Epic a little more than I had before because I enjoyed Gears 2 SP...

#16 Edited by Galrick (50 posts) -

Hate Epic? Errr... no. Not really. Considering that Gears of War is one of my favorite modern serie and that many of the games I enjoy playing use the Unreal Engine (or a modified version of it), I'm pretty fond of Epic Games. They're not perfect, they make some bad decisions, but then again, nobody is and everybody does.

#17 Posted by mracoon (4961 posts) -

No. I have no reason to hate Epic at all, they're a good company which makes good games.

Moderator
#18 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

The texture streaming in is an eye sore, have to agree with that one. I've never played Gears games, but I have played some games with their engine.

#19 Posted by kmdrkul (3476 posts) -
Captain_Fookup said:
"Troll makes another fine troll post, good job."
Grow up.  This is a legitimate discussion topic, either contribute something worthwhile or just get out...


Anyway, Epic will always have a place in my heart for making UT2004.  As far as the Gears games moving to the 360, it was simply a matter of them doing what they thought was best; since so many people have 360's I'd say they made a good choice.  I don't think we should think of them as alienating their PC gaming fans...
#20 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -

I think gears and unreal tournament are awesome. Epic is annoyingly overconfident though. I mean look at all the shit that was in gears 1, they fix that but theres a whole load of new shit in gears 2

That wouldnt happen with bungie

#21 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

No, I don't hate Epic. They're fine in my opinion. Gears of War 2 had a buggy multiplayer but I never really play that competitively so it doesn't bug me out.

#22 Posted by LiquidPrince (15857 posts) -

Well I got a 360 mostly for Gears II so no.

#23 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

I remember people talking about adapting Unreal for Wii. I laughed, and called them stupid. 

#24 Posted by Kratos81 (411 posts) -

I am pissed they released new maps before they fixed the online in gears2. I bought the maps but have moved on to other games due to the mp issues and dont think I will ever go back. I dont hate them, I love gears 1 and 2 even if the mp is fucked. The sp was great.

#25 Posted by Jayge_ (10222 posts) -

Epic used to be my favorite company. Then they released Gears of War, the buggiest supposedly "triple-A" title I've ever played. Then, Unreal Tournament 3 (my favorite series of all time, aside from Pokemon) shipped with "From the creators of Gears of War" on the box. Fuck no. What was worse was that it was an incompetent Unreal Tournament game. An average shooter, but a ridiculous disappointment to most of the series' long-time fans. I'm not even going to bother with Gears 2. Epic is now one of my least favorite companies.

#26 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

Gears and Gears 2 are some of the best games i've played in a long while, so I can't say I hate Epic at all.

#27 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

They're Ok, they seem like the snobby kids in High school sept they don't really do anything to you directly, you just dislike their vibe.

#28 Posted by Bucketdeth (8004 posts) -

Of course when someone disagrees with something it`s almost like being a default troll, STFU with the troll shit, damn.

#29 Posted by Captain_Fookup (1519 posts) -
Bucketdeth said:
"Of course when someone disagrees with something it`s almost like being a default troll, STFU with the troll shit, damn."
I didn't say I disagreed with him buddy, it's how he worded it.
#30 Posted by Snipzor (3317 posts) -

I just think the company itself is somewhat representing a douchy theme, but they make good games.

#31 Posted by Kowalski (262 posts) -
Arkthemaniac said:
"I remember people talking about adapting Unreal for Wii. I laughed, and called them stupid. "
You might not have the last laugh on that one Sir.


#32 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -

People hate Epic?

#33 Posted by Cheapoz (1064 posts) -

I don't care for developers full stop, I care for quality games.


That said, the fact that a studio as big as Epic creates such a friggin lousy multiplayer for a tentpole game as Gears 2, where ONE GUY is responsible for the train-wreck code, is a joke.
#34 Posted by kmdrkul (3476 posts) -
Captain_Fookup said:
"Bucketdeth said:
"Of course when someone disagrees with something it`s almost like being a default troll, STFU with the troll shit, damn."
I didn't say I disagreed with him buddy, it's how he worded it.
"
You still haven't contributed to the topic.  And whoever is magically is "-1'ing" everyones posts who call you out on it is really hurting my feelings *rolls eyes*

Sorry to intrude.
#35 Edited by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
Kowalski said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"I remember people talking about adapting Unreal for Wii. I laughed, and called them stupid. "
You might not have the last laugh on that one Sir."
No, I'm sure they'll make it, but there's better Wii Engines around.
#36 Posted by Optiow (1745 posts) -

I had never heard of Epic in the first place...

#37 Posted by ishotmrburns (279 posts) -

Hate is a strong word.

#38 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
SmugDarkLoser said:
"* topic title is meant as a question, not a "I told you so" sentence.  Hard to define tone sometimes. Is it just me, or does it seem like Epic is such a hated game developer?They use to be hugely popular with the pc crowd, it starting to die quickly with gears 1 (do to the turn to the X360) and it completely died with UT3. Then console gamers don't seem to fond of them as seen by the fact that everyone bashes them over the multiplayer in Gears 2. And the worst, their engine sucks.  Maybe it's easy to use, but if you notice, almost every game that uses it has some sort of technical problem.  Texture pop up is guaranteed and I do not recall a single game without it that uses the engine besides Lost Odyssey.  Then tons run poorly and the engine gives a dinstinct meh look (although obviously it varies, just most look blandish)."
Just because you apparantly hate Epic now, doesn't mean the rest of the world does. In fact, i think now that you have declared your hate for it, Epic Games approval rate will suddenly match that of President Obamas. (Oh, and how can you continually and shamelessly defend your personal favorites? It hurts your arguements sooooo much.)
#39 Posted by PenguinDust (12455 posts) -

I liked Gears some and Gears 2 a lot more.  I consider the original Unreal Tournament for the PC one of the best games ever.  UT2 and UT2004 were also a lot of fun.  I didn't like Unreal 2 or UT3.  But overall, I like Epic and Cliff Bleszinski as the face of the company.  I'd like to see them try something other than a shooter, though.  Remember, Jazz Jackrabbit?  Something else other than beefy dudes in hyper armor would be a nice change.

#40 Posted by atejas (3057 posts) -

They just updated UT3.

While I am a little disappointed in their latest games, they're still pretty good in my books for inventing UT.

Also agree on UE3. Even Source has aged better than that piece of trash.

#41 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

As a PC gamer I can say I used to love Epic but my dislike for them wasn't because they turned to the 360 with Gears 1. But rather their CEO bashed the PC and slammed it hard in the 2008 argument / debate over piracy on the platform. When every point he made not only was ridiculous but also the fact Epic is a member of the PC Gaming Alliance and he pretty much just did a complete U-Turn on what that organisation stands for. I believe Epic is still a member. Not to mention Epic allowed a shoddy Gears 1 port to the PC to be released.

For me personally I found the fact a once great PC developer who has lost the inovative spirit they once had decided to slam the platform that gave them such success was laughable to be honest. Can you say butthurt much?

#42 Posted by End_Boss (3220 posts) -

I don't flip from loving a game company's work to hating it because of one broken title. I am really disappointed with Gears 2 multiplayer though, as you can see in my shameless plug.

#43 Edited by DevilishSix (102 posts) -
Geno said:
"The thing with Epic is they haven't done anything new for a really long time. Gears were good games but it was still UT3 engine FPS stuff that they've been doing since forever. I don't think people hate Epic, but it's repute has certainly been in decline for some time.

Captain_Fookup said:
"Troll makes another fine troll post, good job."
Your posts, which consist of nothing more than calling other people trolls, are somehow of higher quality? "

WTF?  Really?  Gears is FPS stufff..........???????..........hahahaha
#44 Posted by LiveOrDie1212 (926 posts) -

haha, so Gears 2 wasn't so "EPIC" after all.......haha *zing*.

#45 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -
Captain_Fookup said:

Lurking my profile now eh? I'm used to having stalkers on Facebook, but on Giantbomb that's just a whole new kind of naughty."
Idiot. Look on the front page, it says "giantbomb supports stalkers".
#46 Posted by Wuffi (246 posts) -

gears 2 was dissapointing

#47 Posted by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -
Diamond said:
"PC gamers hate EpicPS3 gamers mostly hate Epic360 owners who loved Gears 1 online hate EpicSome people who can appreciate how much most of these UE3 games suck hate EpicI actually like Epic a little more than I had before because I enjoyed Gears 2 SP..."
I don't hate Epic.
#48 Posted by Kazona (3060 posts) -

They may have dropped the ball when it comes to Gears 2, and their engine might not be perfect, but to say they've fucked up so much that I would hate them now? No I really don't. I really don't see a reason to hate them just because they made a mistake. Te one mistake they made with Gears 2 doesn't outweigh all the awesome they did with all their other games and engines.

#49 Posted by Pibo47 (3166 posts) -
Captain_Fookup said:
"Troll makes another fine troll post, good job."
Exactly. And epic is fucking kickass. I cant think of a single game they have made i didnt love.
#50 Posted by TMThomsen (2070 posts) -

Epic are great.

Yes, some players are whining about the multiplayer in Gears of War 2, but so what? That doesn't mean Epic are a terrible developer. Gears of War 2 is awesome and Unreal Tournament 3 was great as well, so I fail to see your point.
...and their engine is the most popular this generation with currently 74 licenced titles. The "texture popping" but that you describes, is actually not a bug; it's just the way the engine loads textures on the fly to cut down loading time. Texture popping will entirely disappear if you install the game on the 360, or have a decent PC rig.

So what's your point?