Does grammar and spelling matter to you in a review?

• 81 results
Tricks73r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Tricks73r

Over the past couple years, I've noticed a huge trend in gaming sites (other than Giantbomb) using horrible grammar, and spelling things totally wrong. An excerpt from a recent Gamespot article published todayreads " usually when they're prefer to be doing something else.", and then goes on to say that Civ players would rather nuke things the whole game instead of actually playing. I'm not sure if it's just me, but it totally throws the credibility of an article or review out the window for me.  How do you guys feel about that kind of stuff?

buhssuht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By buhssuht

it just proves that any idiots can work as a reviewer, or they could be just too tired to check their grammar and spelling 

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By zeforgotten

No, not at all.  
If it did there would hardly be anything left worth reading on the internet. 

FunkyHugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FunkyHugo

Most definitely, misuse of grammar does bother me. But I can forgive, if it is a small one time mistake.

GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By GoofyGoober

I can let small grammar mistakes go, but if the whole review seems like it was written by a 12 year old, my credibility for that site or reviewer goes out the window.

whacknasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By whacknasty
@Tricks73r:
I cant stand it... Thats the whole reason I started my account over on Comic Vine.  I read a few of the character bios, and just had to fix the little spelling/grammar issues I saw all over them.  I spend more time doing that than actually posting anything...  I figure if it isn't correct, then like you mentioned, the credibility drops drastically. As does the value of the site...
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By Yummylee

I'm hardly one to judge on a reviewers grammar and spelling, so I generally ignore the simple mistakes I may come across (as I've never encountered a total mess of a professional review on the sites I frequent). Obviously if it's a user review aswell, it's much more natural to let them slide by.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Professional reviews? yes User reviews? nah it can be as sloppy as possible as long as I can read it and I get the points then I have no problem with a user review having bad spelling or grammar.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Lukeweizer

It always matters to me. One of my pet peeves.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By MysteriousBob

Yes it does. Which I why I never, ever bother with user reviews.

Tricks73r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Tricks73r

@Abyssfull: Yeah, I don't really mind if it's a user review; I mean, most people just throw up what they're thinking, and try to put it in some kind of format, which I can appreciate - they're not getting paid to do this. But I can't stand it when I see professional reviewers constantly slip up, like they've got no editing or proofreading staff; and go on to say things they really shouldn't. IGN I find has really cracked down on this lately, while other sites seem to be getting worse and worse. 

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#12  Edited By Sin4profit

It's generally not the writers job to check their own grammar in professional publications..that job goes to the Copy Editor.
my brain doesn't really linger on every single word, so i may glaze over some misspellings...it's only when i come to a dead stop and have to decypher what the hell one sentence is actually trying to say, that bugs me.

Tricks73r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Tricks73r

@ Everybody: Yeah, exactly what I was saying to Abyssfull, no problem with user reviews being a little sloppy, but guys who are getting paid to deliver a decent, unbiased review shouldn't be able to slide misspelling whatever they feel like; I don't care if it's rushed or not, take the extra 5 minutes and read over the article. Oftentimes, it's a half-page article or review; that can't take long. Doesn't MS Word have a context underline if you use a word wrong? Are they writing in notepad?

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By JJWeatherman

Grammar mistakes are a no-no.

Avatar image for mightymayormike
MightyMayorMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MightyMayorMike

It definitely matters to me, though as someone who writes a lot for a living, it doesn't mean the reviewer is an idiot. It's just simple proofreading. Anyone writing a high volume of text is going to make mistakes. You always have to go back and proofread.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Seedofpower

Depends where its coming from,, if the review is from a professional journalist, I would expect a professional looking review.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#17  Edited By Geno

If it's just a couple typos it doesn't matter. If errors are prevalent throughout the article, it would suggest that neither the reviewer nor an editor read over it, which gives a bad impression. If the review is somewhat incoherent then it can probably be safely ignored. 

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MikkaQ

For me, it probably matters more than anything. I don't know why, but I have a hard time accepting someone's opinion if it isn't expressed well. Also it just makes you sound kinda dumb to have mistakes abound in your article. If I see one or two though, in an otherwise professional article, I'm totally cool with that. It happens. But if the general grammatical quality is low, I start making assumptions about the reviewer. 

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#19  Edited By Yummylee
@XII_Sniper said:
" For me, it probably matters more than anything. I don't know why, but I have a hard time accepting someone's opinion if it isn't expressed well. Also it just makes you sound kinda dumb to have mistakes abound in your article. If I see one or two though, in an otherwise professional article, I'm totally cool with that. It happens. But if the general grammatical quality is low, I start making assumptions about the reviewer.  "
With a display pic like yours, that all goes without saying. ;P
riffingt0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By riffingt0n

Generally yes.  A small (easy to overlook) grammar error may get a pass but in general I expect better from people who are paid to do that stuff.  My tolerance for sloppy grammar and spelling is pretty low.

Copy editors are one thing, but after a point it looks like the person writing the review forgot that the point of a review is to convey ideas with words, and that undermines their credibility in a pretty big way.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NekuSakuraba
It depends, If it is something small like a typo or no full stop I don't mind.   

However if the review goes something like this, I have a problem. - 

___ IS A VRY MEDIORCORE GAME THAT LACKZ REPLY VALVUE... 

You guys get what I mean.
CandleJakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CandleJakk

Certainly, a simple typo I can accept will get through now and then, but you shouldn't be a journalist if you don't have a concept of correct grammar and spelling. Get someone to proof-read your stuff before you post something. You're paid to do a job, you should do it properly.

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By mfpantst

Normally I could care less about spelling.  (Personal communications)  But journalists by trade work with language and therefore, to be good at  their trade must also be proficient with language.  I don't care what the subject, it's not the fact that you play video games that makes you a good journalist, it's your communications skills.  The subject matter is largely secondary.  Bad grammar, spelling and poor copy edit skills are laziness.

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24  Edited By MisterMouse

In this world, to be taken seriously, grammar and spelling always matter. but on a seid note i ated lunsh not to long a go...

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By OldGuy

There's a ' missing in a "can't" up there... and it's "COULDN'T care less", please...

Interesting thing obout spelling:

As lnog as the frist and lsat ltetres of the word are corcert it msolty deos not matetr waht odrer the rest of the letrets in the wrod are arargend as our barins tend to rwerok them for undetrsanabdlliity (touhgh rlleay long wdros mhigt cosnufe anwayy).

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mfpantst
@OldGuy said:

" There's a ' missing in a "can't" up there... and it's "COULDN'T care less", please...  Interesting thing obout spelling:  As lnog as the frist and lsat ltetres of the word are corcert it msolty deos not matetr waht odrer the rest of the letrets in the wrod are arargend as our barins tend to rwerok them for undetrsanabdlliity (touhgh rlleay long wdros mhigt cosnufe anwayy). "

Damn.  Sorry.

Oh- also I understand the linguistic argument that spelling is largely  not useful for effective communication.  However I also understand the linguistic argument that proper grammatic structure is innate, and therefore required for effective communication.  I don't think I mean 'proper' as in college paper style proper.  I think I mean proper as in using a generally accepted grammatical structure with certain proficiency is required to effectively communicate.  I can't remember the linguist who worked out this theory, and if I did I'd put his name here.  Sorry.
mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mazik765

The odd typo here or there is not a big deal to me. But an obvious disregard of grammar bothers me no matter where it comes from. Even on a forum I tend to ignore people if they spell like illiterate 4 year olds.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#29  Edited By natetodamax

One or two small mistakes are fine because nobody is perfect, but I don't take anyone that can't construct proper sentences seriously.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#30  Edited By Icemael

It matters... but it matters less than just about everything else. I'd much rather read a review that's riddled with grammatical errors and misspellings but contains expert-level criticism than a grammatically flawless review that has nothing of value to say.

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mfpantst
@OldGuy:  Chomsky, if you're wondering is who I was thinking of.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
@mfpantst said:
" @OldGuy said:

" There's a ' missing in a "can't" up there... and it's "COULDN'T care less", please...  Interesting thing obout spelling:  As lnog as the frist and lsat ltetres of the word are corcert it msolty deos not matetr waht odrer the rest of the letrets in the wrod are arargend as our barins tend to rwerok them for undetrsanabdlliity (touhgh rlleay long wdros mhigt cosnufe anwayy). "

Damn.  Sorry.  Oh- also I understand the linguistic argument that spelling is largely  not useful for effective communication.  However I also understand the linguistic argument that proper grammatic structure is innate, and therefore required for effective communication.  I don't think I mean 'proper' as in college paper style proper.  I think I mean proper as in using a generally accepted grammatical structure with certain proficiency is required to effectively communicate.  I can't remember the linguist who worked out this theory, and if I did I'd put his name here.  Sorry. "
well I just read old guys post easily...I mean I stopped a few times here and there and Am like thats not right...but I had no problem actually reading it.
nvmfst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By nvmfst

I went to a Liberal Arts college where I received a degree in English. Due to my background, it really urks me to see misspellings and grammatical errors in reviews, articles, etc.  Though, I have not had that problem with Giantbomb.  

As a former copywriter, I have to say you cannot always rely on a Copy Editor, or any editor for that matter, to catch all mistakes.  

Three words: Elements of Style. 

Or you can always blame the WYSIWYG.

TheChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TheChaos

I can stand a typical case of "the the" or something like that. Everyone does that sometimes. 
But when I see consistent incorrect use of your/you're it starts to bug me.

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mfpantst
@WilliamRLBaker:  Yeah, its a neat trick.  I had no issue reading his post either.  Though when he posted out my mistake I had a hard time reading mine...
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TheGreatGuero

It really does bother me. Maybe it shouldn't, since a person's use of grammar doesn't exactly determine whether or not they know what they're talking about, but it does bug me. Even in articles. IGN just made a GTAV wishlist article, and they refer to the GTAIV character Dwayne as "Forge". I won't lie, it took me a couple minutes to remember the guy's name, but what the heck, man?

Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Goly

It completely ruins it. They're writing for a living, the least they could do is be careful about those things.

Avatar image for griefersstolemykeyboard
griefersstolemykeyboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

If the reviewer cant spare the time to look over his review why should I spare the time to read it?

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Lunar_Aura

I've seen "professional" non-gaming websites with atrocious grammar and spelling anomalies. 

The bad economy attracts cheap labor. Unfortunately, you get what you pay for.
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SeriouslyNow

A person who is paid to write is someone who is expected to do so to the best of their ability.  If their ability is consistently poor, then they aren't willing to improve or aren't capable thereof and so then they should find other means of employment.  This is as true for garbage collection as it is for games journalism. 

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By sodiumCyclops

It adds a layer of professionalism that you just can't get if you have spelling mistakes. 

If you fuck up your spelling and grammar, you CANNOT be taken seriously.

Mrskidders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Mrskidders

Yes, massively.  It shows a lack of effort and skill if you make spelling errors when writing a review.  It would make me question the integrity of the review.

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By X19

Its very important. My grammer is terrible and thats why I don't write reviews. When I write threads in the forums I spend ages going over them to make sure they're right. I'm sure if I had paid more attention at school I probably wouldn't have to go to such lengths.

PS I have no fucking idea when to use a comma outside of making lists. lol

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#44  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

An occasional small mistake is fine, but frequent bigger mistakes make me doubt the writing ability of the reviewer, and the competence of the editing team.

Avatar image for detectivespecial
DetectiveSpecial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By DetectiveSpecial

I tend to be forgiving when it comes to digital content that was posted in a short time-frame.

With print media, however, it is unforgivable.  

This applies only to spelling mistakes. Everyone screws up spelling. Grammar mistakes are not typos and tend to imply that the author didn't simply make a mistake, but never knew the proper method. Anyone who is paid to write for a living should have a decent knowledge of grammar.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By OldGuy
@mfpantst:  Yes comprehension is key. But, let us also not forget that (unless you are talking about Latin here [and, should it actually get used for more than just showing off and naming things in nature, it'll happen to it too]) language evolves. Just because some nutjobs (and some of these guys were doozies) decided to codify the English language in the mid to late 18th century (yes, yes there were several dictionaries created earlier [and many in Chinese and Arabic {not to mention some even older languages}] but roll with me here) that (like US paper currency when we decided to put dead presidents on it [I suppose it ISN'T possible for me to write without many, many asides]) you really get a large vocal clump of people trying to halt English right here, right now because "that's the way it's supposed to be" ("Ain't isn't a word!").

--hrmmm... that period probably should be inside the parens... no wait! "parens" isn't a word! Ah, no I don't need a period at all, because there's an exclamation mark there! Ahhh!--

Let's be honest, people have complained about how the language that other people use is "vulgar", "rude", "crude", "incorrect" and "slovenly." Well, fine, but I'm not satisfied to go back to Samuel Johnson's version of English. Shakespeare (Shakespere, Shakespear, Shakspeare, Shackspeare, Shakspere - you get the idea [regardless of the "controversy" over who he {she? Don't recall one going with a she, but you never know} was]) is generally considered to be the greatest writer in English. So why don't we go back to Elizabethan? Oh, no wait, how about Chaucer? 

But, that's not gonna happen (ewwww, "gonna"). Some of the "misspellings" and grammar errors we get all huffy about now (we're actually probably right at the tipping point where "could care less" and "couldn't care less" will become accepted to mean the same thing [which is a different issue from them doing so in practice - which has already happened, frankly] - even if, when you take the phrase apart that makes no sense whatsoever) will be what English IS. Pronunciation is the same way (New - cle - ar vs. Nu - q - lur anyone?).

No matter wat we do b4 u no it English will b diff. I axe u, man, amirite?
mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By mfpantst
@OldGuy: well I'd agree with you, but in any case you still used generally accepted grammatical structure, word choice and spelling aside.  So understanding your post was pretty easy.
foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By foggel

An article is supposed to have flawless grammar and spelling imo. If not I feel the same way, credibility gets thrown out the window.

Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#49  Edited By Synthballs

I'm like everyone else, if it is infrequent I don't give a fuck but if it's a lot, I'll get pissy.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#50  Edited By Video_Game_King

Yes......................Are you expecting more, or something?