#1 Posted by BlueLantern1995 (102 posts) -

#2 Posted by AlexW00d (6236 posts) -

Wat? Are you asking that the whole new console being new thing about a new console would be off-putting due to it not having pre-owned games you can buy for like 95% of the normal price?

I buy all my games new so this would have no effect on me whatsoever. That and I don't think I will be buying any new consoles.

#3 Posted by mlarrabee (2927 posts) -

I'm a bit confused about what the question is exactly. Are you curious whether the ability (or inability) of the next generation of consoles to play "used," or current gen, games affects whether I'll buy into what's next?

#4 Posted by FriedConsole (53 posts) -

I prefer discounted new games over used. Discounted games aren't there until a couple years after launch. I rarely feel I need a game right when it comes out. Will buy a new console when there are plenty of discounted games.

I play a lot of games. (20 hrs a week) They could stop making games now and I would have enough to play for the rest of my life. No hurry on new systems.

#5 Posted by WilliamHenry (1202 posts) -

If the new consoles don't support used or rented games, I won't be buying them. I think it would be crazy for either Microsoft or Sony to implement this, and I doubt either will.

#6 Posted by morrelloman (608 posts) -

They could print rental copies like they do for netflix that are not fully featured. As long as a rental copy has full story that would be amendable.

#7 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I picked up a PS3 copy of DJ Hero + Turntable + both boxed for £8, Wii version was £6. That game was way more than that when it came out, I approve of used games.

#8 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

If next-gen consoles ruled out used games, or more importantly, trading in my old games for new ones, (say all digital or whatever) then I'd skip them and stick with my 3DS. Very few games are worth the asking price without getting money back later.

#9 Posted by laserbolts (5319 posts) -

I'll go with D. Don't understand the question.

#10 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

@FriedConsole said:

I prefer discounted new games over used. Discounted games aren't there until a couple years after launch. I rarely feel I need a game right when it comes out. Will buy a new console when there are plenty of discounted games.

I play a lot of games. (20 hrs a week) They could stop making games now and I would have enough to play for the rest of my life. No hurry on new systems.

I share the same view.

Should one be able to play used games on next gen consoles? Yes.

#11 Posted by WilliamHenry (1202 posts) -

@morrelloman said:

They could print rental copies like they do for netflix that are not fully featured. As long as a rental copy has full story that would be amendable.

Its a thought, but I think keeping features behind a paywall like an online pass is more likely to happen.

@AlexW00d said:

Wat? Are you asking that the whole new console being new thing about a new console would be off-putting due to it not having pre-owned games you can buy for like 95% of the normal price?

You're crazy if you think the only time people buy used games is when the game is just released and the used copy is $55 instead of $60.

#12 Posted by Jrinswand (1704 posts) -

Although I have an Xbox 360 and a PS3, I can't actually remember the last new game that I bought. It must've been Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood back in 2010 or something. Aside from that, the only games I've purchased on either of those systems in years have been either XBLA or PSN games.

#13 Posted by TyCobb (1966 posts) -

No, it will not affect me when buying a new console. I don't buy used games unless it is no longer in production and by that time, it is highly unlikely I would even have the urge to play it. Used games are bullshit because it's only $5 less than a new copy and would probably have to pay another $10 to be able to play online. Yep, a used game probably just cost me more money than a new one.

Also, I don't believe used games should be sold with that much markup.

#14 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1565 posts) -

My only concern with getting rid of used games is that old, out-of-print games may become very difficult to find (which I think/hope will be solved by downloadable games becoming ubiquitous).

Besides that potential issue, getting rid of used games would be a net gain to the industry. I'm sure some won't be happy about it, but the reality is from the perspective of publishers and developers, buying a used copy isn't all that different than pirating it.

#15 Posted by believer258 (11802 posts) -

Not particularly. I just bought a PC for gaming and used games haven't been sold there for quite a long time, so I guess I'm pretty accepting of not being able to buy new games.

#16 Posted by kgb0515 (411 posts) -

I like buying used games from time to time, but if they are able to work something out like Steam where they allow friends to trade digital copies, that would be tremendous. I used to rent more often than I do now, but I buy more digital copies of games now than I ever have. I think simultaneous digital and retail releases being the new norm will be more of a deciding factor for me if consoles want to pull me away from PC gaming.

#17 Posted by mlarrabee (2927 posts) -

@BlueLantern1995 said:

Oh, now that I look at the title I can see how you could be confused, I was a little to vague. The 1st one you mentioned is it, the ability or inability to play used games on Next gen consoles.

I'd actually forgotten completely about how Microsoft and Sony were talking about restricting their systems from playing used titles; now that you've reminded me, the question makes sense.

I nearly always buy new, so it really wouldn't affect me, but I dislike it in practice. People should be able to buy what people are willing to make, and then sell it when they don't want it anymore. I'm not sold on the next generation yet, anyway, and "new-only" restrictions don't add or detract too much from my desire. They sure leave me with a dirty taste in my mouth, though. I'd rather developers and manufacturers came out and said plainly (and legally) that purchasing a game is purchasing a lifetime license, that the license is untransferable, and that the disc you're "buying" is only a cheap and bandwidth-shallow method of transferring the data. They shouldn't dance around it by acting as though we're buying sixty-dollar DVDs and then demanding we don't resell. If we're in the business of buying and selling copyrighted instances then let's do it properly.

#18 Posted by Wacomole (818 posts) -

I've never (to my knowledge) bought a used game. I HAVE, however, bought quite a few games a while after they released and are reduced (or even free in the case of PS+) and I can't see that sort of scenario being suddenly abolished with the new set of consoles.

#19 Posted by Bane122 (786 posts) -

I'd still but the consoles just fine but, what it would do is cause me to buy less games. I only keep certain games in my collection so if I was no longer able to sell games I'd just reduce what I buy. Which probably wouldn't be good since I've already pretty harshly cut what I've bought this year compared to last.

I rarely buy used game but I think losing them would ultimately do more harm than good.

#20 Posted by Druminator (1678 posts) -

Very much so. What I'm concerned with is weather or not it will effect my GameFly.

#21 Posted by tourgen (4473 posts) -

used games were always something the consoles had over a PC. Without that, what am I getting? An under-powered PC with no DOTA, no MMOs, no modding, and over-priced digital games? Yeah.

Consoles have the used game market, sofa + controller play, and used to have put-disk-in-to-play going for them. PC's are getting better couch interfaces & controller support in games. Consoles already went down the "broken on release day" road with online patches so they lost out there. If consoles lose the used game deal it's going to look pretty bleak for Sony and MSoft.

#22 Edited by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

I don't intend to buy a console without used games availability without a significant price drop. Maybe none of us made the mistake of buying Silent Hill HD Collection on 360 or Skyrim on PS3, but someone sure as hell did, and the way developers are behaving about patches now, you fucking bet I expect to be able to resell a game I buy for $60.

#23 Posted by RE_Player1 (7558 posts) -

God I haven't bought a used game since the PS2 days. Would suck to see used games be blocked though because many people need to purchase them to save some $.

#24 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7077 posts) -

I so rarely by used games that it wouldn't affect me. Doesn't mean I wouldn't criticize them for such an idiotic move, however.

#25 Posted by banishedsoul1 (294 posts) -

Getting less freedom over your games that you own is a big deal. I really don't get why people are so passive on this. Even if you don't sell games, there taking away your freedom.

#26 Posted by Hunter5024 (5620 posts) -

I really like having backwards compatibility so I don't have to worry about keeping my old system hooked up, or keeping it at all I suppose. I've only played 3 or 4 ps2 games on my BC ps3, but it was worth it every time. If I had a model that couldn't play old games I dont think I would've gotten to any of them.

#27 Posted by DoctorDanger99 (686 posts) -

i wouldnt support the new consoles at all and im as hardcore a console fan as they come. at the very least i would wait and buy a new console for dirt cheap and then just mod it and pirate the hell out of it. if they wanna fuck me in the ass they will regret it. i dont even buy used that often but i like having the option to. i would have never given Bayonetta the time of day had it not been 20 dllrs. now its one of my favs this gen and will probly make me get a Wii U for the sequel.

now what would have happened if it had still been full price and never being lowerd? the devs would have lost my money for Bayonetta 2 and nintendo would probly have had to wait even longer for me to pick up thier new console. the problem most devs and publishers have is that they are all convinced thier games are worth 60 dllrs. they are not. spec ops the line.lollipop chainsaw,mad world and sleeping dogs. all really good games but in my opinion not worth full price.

#28 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i don't really understand what your asking. i do hope that they have used games to work with the console. rumor has it that next generation consoles won't be able to use used copies of games. i think it's a bad idea to do that. sometimes having to buy used is a good thing. older games for the console end up being hard to find or at least the game stores near me.

#29 Posted by probablytuna (3617 posts) -

No because I don't buy used games. I could never trust a game that has been opened and touched by another person's filthy hands. Just kidding, I just don't feel the need to buy used games since if it's a game I want to play realy bad I would be getting it on launch. If it's a game I'm mildly interested in I would just wait until it's on sale.

#30 Posted by hawkinson76 (362 posts) -

I buy cheap games, because I don't think they are worth $60. The discount on used isn't enough, I wait until they are under 20 (under 30 for a very few games). I'll probably stick with my PC and cheap steam games at least a year into the new consoles, maybe 2. Used does not factor into this.

#31 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2294 posts) -

That depends on how the system of games is. If its a future where 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand is STILL 60 bucks if you buy it off XBL, then fuck that. However if its like Steam where everything is digital but sales and free weekends happen a lot, then fuck yes. I'll miss my collection of physical boxes and easily scratched DVD's

#32 Posted by AsperGamer (161 posts) -

If Microsoft and Sony go down this path it will give Nintendo a slam dunk win for the generation. The backlash would be of nuclear proportions. That being said, that is why it won't happen. They will use other methods to try and control the market, which will still make them douchebags.

#33 Edited by huntad (1931 posts) -

I hate how it's so hard to just try games nowadays. Wouldn't rented games become obsolete (even thought they're already almost completely gone) since they would be considered used? It would really fucking blow for those games like Borderlands 2, where I am really not sure if I want to pay full price for the game until I try it a little bit.

For the record, I'm not talking demos, because almost everything is locked.

#34 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

They aren't going to lock that at the console level, which it sounds like you're suggesting. I don't think the companies actually ever talked about that, it was all just rumors. They couldn't pull it off without going the steam route and giving options for getting games good and cheap.

#35 Posted by Funrush (70 posts) -

@Hizang said:

I picked up a PS3 copy of DJ Hero + Turntable + both boxed for £8, Wii version was £6. That game was way more than that when it came out, I approve of used games.

Same for me, except my store ran out before I got to it.