#1 Posted by fuzzypumpkin (383 posts) -

Yea, so I got FarCry 3 today and before I play it I was wondering if installing it will help with the framerate or if it just helps with the load times. They made it pretty clear in the quick look that the framerate can be a tad dicey sometimes. Any answers would be appreciated bruthas.

#2 Posted by believer258 (11560 posts) -

It depends on the game, and even if it does improve graphics and framerate and all that fancy stuff, it never improves them by much.

#3 Posted by deano546 (182 posts) -

I'm not 100% sure, but I really doubt that it would improve framerate.

#4 Posted by mordukai (7125 posts) -

I don't think so. Game performance is pretty much locked to the hardware. The only areas I see it helping is load times and textures pop-ins. 

#5 Posted by KevinK (198 posts) -
@mordukai said:
I don't think so. Game performance is pretty much locked to the hardware. The only areas I see it helping is load times and textures pop-ins. 
What he said. 
#6 Posted by Demoskinos (14512 posts) -

Nope. Might in some cases alleviate texture pop in but that is about as much effect that installing will have on games outside of faster load times.

#7 Posted by TyCobb (1944 posts) -

I always recommend installing a game you are planning on playing for a long time. 360 DVD drives are so cheap and flimsy, you want to alleviate as much stress as you can. I have gone through three 360s and all three times it was due to the DVD drive failing.

#8 Posted by GalacticGravy (540 posts) -

installing also helps if your game disc is making too much noise. Some games sound alike a jet taking off (Civ: Rev for me) and when I installed them it stopped.

#9 Posted by gaminghooligan (1402 posts) -

very rarely. In fact some cases (AC3 and the original Mass Effect) are actually worse on some systems when installed. Can never hurt to try however.

#10 Posted by adam1808 (1355 posts) -

It'll speed up load times and in some cases it may put a dent in performance for no discernible reason. Sorry dude, Far cry 3 is going to run at sub-20 framerates regardless of whether you install it or not.

#11 Posted by fuzzypumpkin (383 posts) -

@adam1808: yea, I installed it and the load times got better, but sadly the framerate stays the same. Still having a great time though.

#12 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1376 posts) -

Nope, just reduce load times and slightly less texture pop.