• 78 results
Edited 10 months, 8 days ago

Poll: Does it bother you when people send rude or death threats from online games? (138 votes)

All the time I hate it. 25%
Not at all could care less. 46%
It can bother me sometimes. 29%

For me I usually don't care what type of messages people send me. Over the years I've received plenty of hate messages some were racist, jealous, or flat out pissed off. Alot of times I find it funny how people take games to seriously. Sometimes I might reply just to piss them off some more, but usually I block them before it goes too far.

#51 Posted by joshwent (2056 posts) -

How can they not at least have filters for racial slurs and attacks on sexuality and stuff?!?

Jerks would be like 99% less likely to waste their time if "Faggot ass bitch!" just appeared as ****** *** *****!.

#52 Posted by Cirdain (2996 posts) -

When you've been playing shooters on the PC since Counter Strike 1.6 you understand a lot.

#53 Posted by Missacre (566 posts) -

I usually don't care when people talk shit to me online, it's pretty funny actually. Except when you get the crazy ones, then it gets kind of disturbing. I've had guys call me every name in the book, one guy threatened to rape me, then kill me, blah blah. Others get mad and talk shit just because they hear a female voice on the mic, then get even madder when I wipe the floor with them. That part's delicious. So I've had my share of abuse, I just ignore it, or I just end up muting everyone.

#54 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@joshwent said:

How can they not at least have filters for racial slurs and attacks on sexuality and stuff?!?

Jerks would be like 99% less likely to waste their time if "Faggot ass bitch!" just appeared as ****** *** *****!.

most mmos have this ff for example.

At topic: No why should it?

#55 Posted by XenoNick (1390 posts) -

I've gotten to the point that I don't care anymore. Got so many hate messages when Gears 2 was about and I killed guys who wall-bounced and spammed Gnashers. So much stupidity that I just started laughing at it.

#56 Posted by TobbRobb (4554 posts) -

I don't really get messages like that. But then again, I keep myself fairly subdued and inoffensive in company of strangers. So I assume there isn't really much reason to start something with me.

#57 Posted by falserelic (5280 posts) -

@missacre said:

I usually don't care when people talk shit to me online, it's pretty funny actually. Except when you get the crazy ones, then it gets kind of disturbing. I've had guys call me every name in the book, one guy threatened to rape me, then kill me, blah blah. Others get mad and talk shit just because they hear a female voice on the mic, then get even madder when I wipe the floor with them. That part's delicious. So I've had my share of abuse, I just ignore it, or I just end up muting everyone.

It's funny how some guys react when they hear female gamers. Usually they'll try to flirt or act like there above a female. I've seen quite alot of that stuff happen over the years of my online gaming days. For me I treat everybody the same with respect. Though I have came across afew asshole female gamers aswell. Sometimes they might use the fact that their a girl gamer as an advantage.

#58 Posted by ninnanuam (258 posts) -

It might be because a get credible death threats at my job but assholes on the net don't bother me at all, people get so hung up on stupid shit, both people who can't stand losing and the people who let assholes get to them.

#59 Posted by Stonyman65 (2573 posts) -

Nope. I grew up using the internet so it doesn't bother me one bit. The fact that it is also 10-15 year old kids making all the threats just makes it funny more than anything else.

Also, the people that talk shit aren't the ones you have to worry about because they won't do shit. It's the quiet motherfuckers that you have to watch out for because those are the guys that have a plan and are just waiting for the right time to do it.

#60 Posted by MOAB (374 posts) -

I feel like I'm doing something wrong if I'm not getting nasty messages in APB. It's just people that are mad you're better than them, so I take it as a compliment. I'll ignore them if goes on too long, but I'm immune to it now.

#61 Posted by MrJorOwe (279 posts) -

I didn't vote because none of those say "I don't care at all". I couldn't care less.

#62 Posted by SquirrelGOD (485 posts) -

The thing that bugs me about it, isn't the actual threats. The least intimidating thing in the world to me is a dude getting so pissed off at his TV screen that he sends me a poorly worded message. No, what bugs me is that there are people that think that that behavior is in any way acceptable. I can't stand the idiots that go "Well, it's just the internet. It's not a big deal." No. Fuck you. You're part of the problem. People need to learn that being a piece of shit, regardless of the context or the delivery mechanism for being said piece of shit, is not okay. Learn to act like an adult, or at the very least, a child with decent social abilities.

#63 Posted by Relenus (15 posts) -

Do I care about what some hate-spewing jackass thinks of me? Of course not.

Does it bother me that someone could get that upset and nasty over me beating them in a video game? Hell yes it does.

#64 Posted by Slag (3923 posts) -

The thing that bugs me about it, isn't the actual threats. The least intimidating thing in the world to me is a dude getting so pissed off at his TV screen that he sends me a poorly worded message. No, what bugs me is that there are people that think that that behavior is in any way acceptable. I can't stand the idiots that go "Well, it's just the internet. It's not a big deal." No. Fuck you. You're part of the problem. People need to learn that being a piece of shit, regardless of the context or the delivery mechanism for being said piece of shit, is not okay. Learn to act like an adult, or at the very least, a child with decent social abilities.

this

#65 Edited by MOAB (374 posts) -

@squirrelgod said:

Please enlighten us plebs on how you handle it, sir.

#66 Posted by big_jon (5708 posts) -

Between Halo and battlefield I have gotten hundreds of these, I remember in BFBC 2 me and a friend used to have contents where we would try to get the most hate mail by stealing the other teams chopper and wreaking them with it. My record was 3 in one game, it was amazingly predictable.

But whatever, anything outside of death threats is pretty funny to me.

#67 Posted by SeanCoughing (261 posts) -

The only game I have played that resulted in me getting nasty messages is Call of Duty, so basically anytime I get a message while I'm playing COD I assume its some dickhead talking shit. What really bothers me are the people that blast their shitty music into their mics, so I usually mute everyone immediately.

#68 Posted by Brodehouse (9523 posts) -

No, what bugs me is that there are people that think that that behavior is in any way acceptable.

Find a single person who said this behavior is acceptable.

You will find people who say that that behavior is not threatening, below consideration, not worth an expenditure of public resources to prevent, and not worth an expenditure of law enforcement's time and effort to arrest every 15 year old who says something stupid.

That people say it should be ignored is not advocacy for it. It is completely disingenuous to pretend as if it were so.

#69 Edited by Pr1mus (3780 posts) -

Yes because while the insults or threats themselves are easy enough to ignore i can't help but think and ask myself, at what point in one's personal development does saying these kind of things becomes acceptable just because you're anonymous? The amount of people for which this seems perfectly normal to behave like this is worrisome because we are seeing more and more of those without the anonymity with the proliferation of sites using Facebook logins and the almost complete lack of change in some people's attitude, even when they're using their real identity.

#70 Edited by Yummylee (21208 posts) -

Not anymore. It would admittedly make me feel a little down when I first started playing online multiplayer on the PS3; I received my share of hate when playing Uncharted 2 and RDR MP in particular, primarily because I was pretty good at it. But nowadays I find it to be just kinda pathetic, and I'll usually ignore it, if not goad them further for my own amusement.

#71 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2862 posts) -

Just because I hate it doesn't mean it "bothers me". That behavior is more than pathetic and everyone should probably hate it. It's all this lazyness that makes kids such shit heads.

#72 Edited by ModernAlkemie (357 posts) -

I hate it in the sense that I don't think it should be acceptable behavior. It isn't really something I take personally, though, because it clearly is the result of someone's anger management issues and doesn't actually reflect anything about myself as a person.

Mostly what does bother me is when people start throwing that negativity around in the middle of some cooperative game. I was playing a Dota game last night, and one of my teammates did nothing but complain the whole game about how another teammate was playing. It ruined my enjoyment of the game because I had to listen to someone whining like a child for thirty-five minutes. Plus, I felt bad for the guy who was the target of the constant rage (and obviously a very new player). I play multiplayer games to be a part of a team, and that kind of crap really destroys any cooperative atmosphere.

#73 Posted by the_lens_flare (12 posts) -

Not at all, in fact it can sometimes be fun to respond to them in a smartass or trollish way. I usually just ignore it though.

#74 Posted by MonetaryDread (1987 posts) -

Why would I care about what someone I have never met thinks of me? Caring that much sounds more like a personal weakness than anything else.

#75 Posted by DRSOne80 (8 posts) -

Don't let it bother you. Anon is gonna anon. They'll talk a good game that they wouldn't dare say in person.

They're the one with issues, not you.

#76 Posted by geirr (2469 posts) -

It bothers me in the same way it bothers me seeing people being awkward and socially inept. Like, it's funny, but seeing the larger picture and imagining a future where this spreads and no one ever grows up, gets kinda sad.

#77 Posted by Ninja_Welshman (476 posts) -

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. In fact I enjoy it and keep the messages. 90% of the time it's because I've beaten someone online. Those people I love cause you can just keep turning the knife and there is nothing they can do.

#78 Posted by AlisterCat (5470 posts) -

It's COULDN'T CARE LESS.

If you could care less then you must care at least a little, if not a lot.