Does it seem like the Fighting Genre is making a comeback?

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Godwind

I noticed lately that there has been more public notice of games of the fighting genre.

For awhile it seemed liked it was overlooked during the 5th and 6th generation of games.  In fact the only Fighting game that was really mentioned was Tekken and Soul Calibur.  Even more evidence to this was the fall of the Dreamcast and Sega Saturn, home to many fighters.

Does anyone agree or disagree?

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Diamond

There's something of a developer push for new fighting games.  I think the market has gotten a little bigger, but it'll never be like it was in the 90's IMO.

The more surprising comeback is 2D gameplay.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Systech

There is no room in the world for another Fighting game franchise to enter the ring. I know that Street Fighter IV and MKvsDCU came out recently, but these are just exceptions. I don't see any long term growth in the genre unless it's coming from those two franchises.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I call it a comeback!

Actually, I'm gonna say no. While I grew up around fighting games, I just can't seem to even care about them so much anymore. SF4 didn't quite do it for me. I will still, however, always keep my fingers crossed for KI3.

LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By LiveOrDie1212

is or isn't, i still don't give a shit

Snuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Snuffy
LiveOrDie1212 said:
"is or isn't, i still don't give a shit"

These are my thoughts.  The fighting genre has never really appealed to me.  I used to play a bit in the 90s, but they just kinda lost it.  :S
greennoodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By greennoodles

No, not yet. Street Fighter made a comeback, we have yet to see how well these other games are going to do.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By FluxWaveZ

greennoodles said:

"No, not yet. Street Fighter made a comeback, we have yet to see how well these other games are going to do."

It's not how good the games are, but how they are being made again.  Personally, I love the fighting genre of games the most and yes, fighting games are effectively making a comeback.  With recent ones like SF HD, SC IV, SF IV, and future ones like the soon-to-be announced new MvC 2, KoF XII, Tekken 6 and BlazBlue.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#9  Edited By AgentJ

I sure hope so, but if it really is on a comeback, I really hope it never becomes the new FPS.

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheMustacheHero

I dislike fighting games anyways....

Avatar image for masturbatingbear
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11  Edited By MasturbatingBear

Not as sure that its fighting games as much as it is old developers brining their old games back. Recently we have been seeing many rereleases or like remakes of classic games that people played on the NES and arcade era. Many games from the 90's are being resurrected and fighting games were all the shit back then.

greennoodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By greennoodles
FluxWaveZ said:
"

greennoodles said:

"No, not yet. Street Fighter made a comeback, we have yet to see how well these other games are going to do."

It's not how good the games are, but how they are being made again.  Personally, I love the fighting genre of games the most and yes, fighting games are effectively making a comeback.  With recent ones like SF HD, SC IV, SF IV, and future ones like the soon-to-be announced new MvC 2, KoF XII, Tekken 6 and BlazBlue.

"

I guess it depends on how you define comeback. Personally I think it is defined by success. If the new Star Trek does well, and they make more movies, a new show and video games, then its a comeback for Star Trek. If it bombs, then its not. When fighting games were big, even shitty ones (I'm looking at you Primal Rage) were huge. If none of the other games sell worth a damn, then no comeback.
ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#13  Edited By ZombiePie

I've said it before and I'll say it again... until Clayfighter 2 (or any cheap knock offs on that matter), is made the fighting genre will not truly be resurrected.

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

Honestly, I think Capcom in general is making a comeback, not the genre.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Al3xand3r

Lol. I don't like it so no it's not a comeback. I DECIDE WHAT MAKES A COMEBACK, YOU HEAR? Lol @ those guys.

I don't think it's a comeback, because they never left. If anything, we have less of them this generation, so far. How many are there on the PS2? How many were there on the Saturn? They're just continuing the tradition, there always have been and always will be fighting games around. They have their ups and downs, some take the lead in a generation and some in the next, and sometimes we may get a new contender, but they're always around. They'll never really be more mainstream, unless we include licences like Naturo and Dragonball, which I wouldn't...

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By StaticFalconar

Its a comeback for sure. Blazblue will at best get the same numbers as those that play guilty gear (niche game), KoF12 seems at least a rent of not def buy, and don't forget the new MvC2. I always hated MK so if another one is never made I woulnd't miss them. While I did play and loved 3d fighters at some time, I just don't feel the same way about them now.

Eitherway, I yes a definite yes of resurgance of fighting games in general. Sure they may not all sell like SF4 did, but then again, how many FPS came out lately and how many of them can sell the Halo3 Cod4 numbers? I'm just glad fighting games are making a comeback so people won't automatically assume all games are fps style.