#1 Posted by daniel_beck_90 (3159 posts) -

Guys , I have heard a lot of different things about looking at the TV / Monitor ‘s screen while you are in a dark room , some say it is very dangerous while other say it is not a problem at all  .

I am really confused!!!  all I know is that games look much better when you play ‘em in a dark room .

So does playing video games in a dark room hurt eyes in any way ?  

#2 Posted by kmdrkul (3476 posts) -

I've always thought your eyes only get affected depending on how close you sit and how long you play; I've never heard anything about what you explained...

#3 Posted by Kazona (3063 posts) -

I always find that my eyes start getting fatigued alot faster when I leave my light on. Only reason I leave it on is because my kb doesn't have a backlight. Soon as I have one that does, I'll be playing games in the darkness.

Also I read somewhere that with LCD monitors it's harder to differentiate the various shades of a color. So if you ask me, it means leaving the light on actually puts more strain on your eyes.

#4 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

I went from 20/20 to far-sighted since I have been playing video games. A majority of the time I am in the dark, it just is better in my opinion. Not better for your eyes or whatever, but more enjoyable I guess I meant. Just take breaks every hour or so, unlike me. I'm a marathon gamer.

#5 Posted by HazBazz (1901 posts) -

It always says in game manuals that you should play in a well lit room, so i assume theres some sort of medical risk.

#6 Posted by brukaoru (5079 posts) -

Source: Medical Libary - American Academy of Ophthalmology - http://www.medem.com/medlib/article/ZZZ8BUZTYIE

Reading in dim light is harmful to your eyes." True or False?
False.
Using your eyes in dim light does not damage them. For centuries, all nighttime reading and sewing was done by candlelight or with gas or kerosene lamps. However, good lighting does make reading easier and can prevent eye fatigue.

"Using computers can damage your eyes." True or False?
False.
Working on computers or video display terminals (VDTs) will not harm your eyes. Often, when using a VDT for long periods of time, just as when reading or doing other close work, you blink less often than normal. This reduced rate of blinking makes your eyes dry, which may lead to the feeling of eyestrain or fatigue.

Try to take regular breaks to look up or across the room. Looking at objects farther away often relieves the feeling of strain on your eyes. Keep the monitor between 18 to 24 inches from your face and at a slight downward angle. Also consider the use of artificial tears. If your vision blurs or your eyes tire easily, you should have your eyes examined by an ophthalmologist.

"Sitting close to the television can damage children's eyes." True or False?
False.
Children can focus at close distance without eyestrain better than adults. They often develop the habit of holding reading materials close to their eyes or sitting right in front of the television. There is no evidence that this damages their eyes, and the habit usually diminishes as children grow older. Children with nearsightedness (myopia) sometimes sit close to the television in order to see the images more clearly.

#7 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -
brukaoru said:
"Source: Medical Libary - American Academy of Ophthalmology - http://www.medem.com/medlib/article/ZZZ8BUZTYIE

Reading in dim light is harmful to your eyes." True or False?
False.
Using your eyes in dim light does not damage them. For centuries, all nighttime reading and sewing was done by candlelight or with gas or kerosene lamps. However, good lighting does make reading easier and can prevent eye fatigue.

"Using computers can damage your eyes." True or False?
False.
Working on computers or video display terminals (VDTs) will not harm your eyes. Often, when using a VDT for long periods of time, just as when reading or doing other close work, you blink less often than normal. This reduced rate of blinking makes your eyes dry, which may lead to the feeling of eyestrain or fatigue.

Try to take regular breaks to look up or across the room. Looking at objects farther away often relieves the feeling of strain on your eyes. Keep the monitor between 18 to 24 inches from your face and at a slight downward angle. Also consider the use of artificial tears. If your vision blurs or your eyes tire easily, you should have your eyes examined by an ophthalmologist.

"Sitting close to the television can damage children's eyes." True or False?
False.
Children can focus at close distance without eyestrain better than adults. They often develop the habit of holding reading materials close to their eyes or sitting right in front of the television. There is no evidence that this damages their eyes, and the habit usually diminishes as children grow older. Children with nearsightedness (myopia) sometimes sit close to the television in order to see the images more clearly.

"
So what does cause eyes to deteriorate at such an early age? With me, over a ten-year span I have lost a significant amount of range in my eyesight. Genetics? Obviously some people require glasses pretty early. It's nice to know I am not ruining my vision by playing games, then.
#8 Posted by msudude211 (11 posts) -

I do it all the time.

#9 Posted by TooWalrus (13155 posts) -

yrah, i aleays plsy with thw lighys ob and my visuin is finr/

#10 Posted by daniel_beck_90 (3159 posts) -
TooWalrus said:
"yrah, i aleays plsy with thw lighys ob and my visuin is finr/"
lol , your typing skill and spell accuracy is a proof   :D
#11 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -

So I'm told, though no one says that about TV's and movies. Which is pretty ridiculous. I always play with the lights off and I have 20/20 right now.

#12 Posted by msudude211 (11 posts) -
BiggerBomb said:
"So I'm told, though no one says that about TV's and movies. Which is pretty ridiculous. I always play with the lights off and I have 20/20 right now."
For now... check in ten years.
#13 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -
msudude211 said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"So I'm told, though no one says that about TV's and movies. Which is pretty ridiculous. I always play with the lights off and I have 20/20 right now."
For now... check in ten years."

Twenty0ne?
#14 Posted by daniel_beck_90 (3159 posts) -
BiggerBomb said:
"So I'm told, though no one says that about TV's and movies. Which is pretty ridiculous. I always play with the lights off and I have 20/20 right now."
  you are either so lucky or have  genetically super sharp eyes
#15 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -

I don't sit right next to the TV. I have always had 20/20, I'm 16 now.

#16 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

One of my eyes is shit, so i'm in no position to really say anything but i've always found it more difficult to play games in a light room than in a dark one. That way i'm more focused.

#17 Posted by Player1 (3857 posts) -

I could see the reasoning behind each arguement.

Lights on- So much light everywhere that it strains your eyes.

Lights off- So much light in ONE small place that it strains your eyes.

If it made a difference there would be loads of studies/ evidence out there. And it would be all over the news. So I wouldn't worry about it.

#18 Edited by msudude211 (11 posts) -
BiggerBomb said:
"msudude211 said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"So I'm told, though no one says that about TV's and movies. Which is pretty ridiculous. I always play with the lights off and I have 20/20 right now."
For now... check in ten years."

Twenty0ne?"
Erm...uh... nevar! 
#19 Posted by daniel_beck_90 (3159 posts) -
BiggerBomb said:
"I don't sit right next to the TV. I have always had 20/20, I'm 16 now."
  you are doing the right thing 
the fact that you are 16 and 20/20 means that you have no genetic sight issue whatsoever , though I hope your eyes remain sharp as you get older (which is easier said than done considering all the great games that will come out in  2009- 2012  :D )
#20 Edited by 10MP (311 posts) -

My vision sucks and im willing to bet it's because i watch anime for 5 hours a day in the dark so yes.

i can barely read anything small from 3 feet away without glasses but it's worth it.

#21 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -
daniel_beck_90 said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"I don't sit right next to the TV. I have always had 20/20, I'm 16 now."
  you are doing the right thing 
the fact that you are 16 and 20/20 means that you have no genetic sight issue whatsoever , though I hope your eyes remain sharp as you get older (which is easier said than done considering all the great games that will come out in  2009- 2012  :D )"

I sit on my bed, about 10 feet away. BUT I'm asking for a chair for my TV for Christmas, that might bring me closer....
#22 Posted by TheJollyRajah (1576 posts) -

Myth.

#23 Posted by daniel_beck_90 (3159 posts) -
BiggerBomb said:
"daniel_beck_90 said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"I don't sit right next to the TV. I have always had 20/20, I'm 16 now."
  you are doing the right thing 
the fact that you are 16 and 20/20 means that you have no genetic sight issue whatsoever , though I hope your eyes remain sharp as you get older (which is easier said than done considering all the great games that will come out in  2009- 2012  :D )"

I sit on my bed, about 10 feet away. BUT I'm asking for a chair for my TV for Christmas, that might bring me closer...."
  yeah a chair is more comfy though you'll have to pay for it with your eyes !!!
#24 Posted by MisterSpiffy (880 posts) -
daniel_beck_90 said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"daniel_beck_90 said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"I don't sit right next to the TV. I have always had 20/20, I'm 16 now."
  you are doing the right thing 
the fact that you are 16 and 20/20 means that you have no genetic sight issue whatsoever , though I hope your eyes remain sharp as you get older (which is easier said than done considering all the great games that will come out in  2009- 2012  :D )"

I sit on my bed, about 10 feet away. BUT I'm asking for a chair for my TV for Christmas, that might bring me closer...."
  yeah a chair is more comfy though you'll have to pay for it with your eyes !!!"
But hey, it benefits your back.

I prefer playing in dark room.  Everything seems so much sharper, and it makes the game more atmospheric.  I usually play with the lights on, though.
#25 Posted by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -

I play in a dark room, around 10-14 feet from my TV, on my bed. Does nothing to my eyes.