Does something about Madworld seem weird?

• 52 results
mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By mattbodega

I just watched that Madworld quicklook....and something doesn't seem quite right.
Ostensibly, I should be the perfect audience for that game. I like violence. I like my Wii. I like ridiculous games. I LOVE No More Heroes.
But watching the quicklook on the site....Something is off.
I don't think Madworld is as exuberant as No More Heroes. I think that Madworld is a little too....dark and mean. Yeah, it celebrates it's own over the top violence....but there's nothing else their.
When an enemy is cut and half in No More Heroes and shouts, "My Spleen!", That's funny and fun. Madworld....doesn't seem funny or fun. It doesn't seem exuberant. It doesn't even seem as crazy as 50 Cent:Blood on the Sand!
I dunno....what do you guys think?

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Shadow

yes...yes it is weird.  That's it's selling point.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#3  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

Dude I just killed a guy by impaling him through the anus... wth a rusty spike... I don't know about you but that's a little "weird" to me. Beyond the gore it just doesn't have the humor of No More Heroes that drew me to that game, so I can see were you're coming from.

I have to admit that I don't think that I'll be able to continue playing this game, good thing I borrowed it from a friend. The reason is that I'm extremely squeamish (I've walked out on movies because of this) when it comes to gore, but normally when the gore is super stylized it doesn't affect me. I mean I was able to play No More Heroes to completion but for some reason I just can't play this game.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#4  Edited By AgentJ
MattBodega said:
"I just watched that Madworld quicklook....and something doesn't seem quite right.Ostensibly, I should be the perfect audience for that game. I like violence. I like my Wii. I like ridiculous games. I LOVE No More Heroes.But watching the quicklook on the site....Something is off.I don't think Madworld is as exuberant as No More Heroes. I think that Madworld is a little too....dark and mean. Yeah, it celebrates it's own over the top violence....but there's nothing else their.When an enemy is cut and half in No More Heroes and shouts, "My Spleen!", That's funny and fun. Madworld....doesn't seem funny or fun. It doesn't seem exuberant. It doesn't even seem as crazy as 50 Cent:Blood on the Sand!I dunno....what do you guys think?"
You need to hear the commentators. THEY ARE HILARIOUS! They got Bender and one of the guys from Whose Line is it Anyway to do great commentary for the game. Listen to a minute of it, and you wont think the game is too serious anymore. BTW your poll us useless.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Yeah, i feel the same. Something about this game just isn't right.

gesi1223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By gesi1223

Personally game looks just as fun as No More Heroes. Although when I bought NMH at full price and didn't really know what I was getting into, and was wholefully surprised with an over the top game that was just plain fun. I hope Madworld gives me close to the same experience.

dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By dudacles

It looks insane in a truly awesome way.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Endogene

Quick looks is from the beginning of the game also, normal that the enemies are not tough.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Here's the thing, Madworld has to be able to get it through that it's being rediculous, not just over the top violent.
If it does that, it'll be good.  If not, it'll probably just be a cash in for hardcore games on the wii

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10  Edited By Arkthemaniac
SmugDarkLoser said:
"

Here's the thing, Madworld has to be able to get it through that it's being rediculous, not just over the top violent.

"
Over the top violent is ridiculous. Over-the-top is a synonym for ridiculous.
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Meowayne

Sounds like people desperately looking for something to complain about.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Of course. People always do that with hyped games.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Arkthemaniac said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:
"

"
"

Over the top violent would mean they're just extremely violent.  Rediculous is when it's almost comical.
Had I said rediculously violent then yes, you'd be right, but not in the way I said it.
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By crunchUK

Of course htere's something weird. It's clearly in black and white, yet blood is still red?

Oh and current day sega made a good game, thats also highly weird

mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mattbodega

I'm not looking specifically for something to complain about. In fact, it's a little more complicated than that.
Something about Madworld is turning me off, when the game seems designed FOR ME. But whatever it is that makes Madworld so weird is more complicated than "bad gameplay" or "ugly graphics"(because, clearly, the action in the game seems satisfying and the style is lovely).
No, I created this thread not to complain, because, in general, Giant Bomb users are smarter than sinply reducing my thread to some trolling attempt.
I love video games. If I don't like them, I don't swallow them. I want to know what it is about Madworld that I can't swallow.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Arkthemaniac
SmugDarkLoser said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:
"

"
"
Over the top violent would mean they're just extremely violent.  Rediculous is when it's almost comical.Had I said rediculously violent then yes, you'd be right, but not in the way I said it. "
*sigh*

How can people not find it funny?
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By brukaoru

As Mark McDonald said on the first PlatinumGamesTV episode, when you see screenshots or have the audio turned off on the game, you don't really understand the humor that will be presented with the game. When you hear the characters, you'll get it. I think you need to play the game to get the humor presented within it.

Here, I wrote down quotes from that episode:

• Mark McDonald: "It is a totally different game if you play the game with the sound turned off or just see screenshots, you aren't really getting it, because when you are hearing the speech from the characters and hearing the stuff they're saying, it totally changes the complexion of the game."
  • Shigenori Nishikawa responded: "Oh yeah, absolutely. That is actually why we put narrators, our announcers into the game. At first, there weren't any announcers and when you would play the game without sound it was actually pretty rough. There wasn't a good balance with the violence. I struggled with what we should do about the problem for a long time."
  • Shigenori goes on to talk about the movie Death Race and how that inspired him to have announcers, "...That movie actually had an announcer in it. And he would take these terrible things happening and make them funny with his color commentary. I thought of that and said, "That kind of thing might actually work!"

I really think you need to play the game to get it's humor. The minimal footage you'll see in reviews, I do not think they will convey that humor very well.
BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By BoG

I sort of feel the same way. I want to think the game is this years No More Heroes, but it just isn't cutting it. I should think everything is awesome, I just don't. Maybe its the main character, who doesn't seem nearly as cool as Travis Touchdown. Really, comparing it to NMH is really unfair, as that game just had so much personality. What it lacked in overall polish regarding gameplay, it made up for in the absolutely brilliant presentation.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BiggerBomb

I think so, but I'm not really sure. Is it just me or is the video only showing in black and white?

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Milkman

I'm gonna have to agree. No More Heroes was over-the-top crazy challenging awesome fun throughout the entire game. Mad World so far looks like over-the-top crazy easy fun for an hour or two.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Milkman
brukaoru said:
"As Mark McDonald said on the first PlatinumGamesTV episode, when you see screenshots or have the audio turned off on the game, you don't really understand the humor that will be presented with the game. When you hear the characters, you'll get it. I think you need to play the game to get the humor presented within it.

• Mark McDonald: "It is a totally different game if you play the game with the sound turned off or just see screenshots, you aren't really getting it, because when you are hearing the speech from the characters and hearing the stuff they're saying, it totally changes the complexion of the game."
  • Shigenori Nishikawa responded: "Oh yeah, absolutely. That is actually why we put narrators, our announcers into the game. At first, there weren't any announcers and when you would play the game without sound it was actually pretty rough. There wasn't a good balance with the violence. I struggled with what we should do about the problem for a long time."
  • Shigenori goes on to talk about the movie Death Race and how that inspired him to have announcers, "...That movie actually had an announcer in it. And he would take these terrible things happening and make them funny with his color commentary. I thought of that and said, "That kind of thing might actually work!"
I really think you need to play the game to get it's humor. The minimal footage you'll see in reviews, I do not think they will convey that humor very well. "
By humor, did you mean "fuck" or did you mean "motherfucker"? 
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By brukaoru
BiggerBomb said:
"I think so, but I'm not really sure. Is it just me or is the video only showing in black and white?"
The whole game is in black and white.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By HandsomeDead

It looks so boring. At the start of the Quick Look, I thought it was pretty funny and brutal as hell then by the end, I felt like i'd seen it all.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#24  Edited By LordAndrew
BiggerBomb said:
"I think so, but I'm not really sure. Is it just me or is the video only showing in black and white?"
There's also red. Lots of red.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BiggerBomb
brukaoru said:
"BiggerBomb said:
The whole game is in black and white."

*sigh*

Bruk, why do you take my seriously? =P
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By brukaoru
BiggerBomb said:
"*sigh*Bruk, why do you take my seriously? =P"
Because someone has to... And sometimes I fail to recognize sarcasm.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BiggerBomb
brukaoru said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"*sigh*Bruk, why do you take my seriously? =P"
Because someone has to... And sometimes I fail to recognize sarcasm."

=/
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Milkman
HandsomeDead said:
"It looks so boring. At the start of the Quick Look, I thought it was pretty funny and brutal as hell then by the end, I felt like i'd seen it all."
Exactly. It just seems like "Hey, pick up this dude. Bring him to this thing. BAM!" and rinse and repeat. The humor wasn't really there at all either. It was just "HEY! FUCK! That's funny, right guys?!" But to be fair, I couldn't hear it all that well but that's the impression I got, especially from what Jeff and Ryan were saying. I really hope I'm wrong about this as Mad World was pretty much the only reason to play my Wii in a very long time. 
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Al3xand3r

If you want to post your opinion on the game you could do it on the quick look thread itself you know, this guy clearly isn't talking about that sort of thing, otherwise it would have been easy enough to pinpoint for himself and spare the thread creation >_>

Ujio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By Ujio

If you ask me MadWorld is just a lame attempt to draw attention to the Wii and trying to break its stereotypical portrayal as the "kiddie" system this generation. So they figure they can release a game like this with gratuitous violence to try and break the mold for what the Wii audience is supposed to represent.

It doesn't look that interesting as far as long term is concerned. It's more like a short term fix for the system, but I doubt it'll have any lasting effect after that. Running around killing people in hideous ways as the main draw of the game will get old very quickly.

Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

MattBodega said:
"I just watched that Madworld quicklook....and something doesn't seem quite right.Ostensibly, I should be the perfect audience for that game. I like violence. I like my Wii. I like ridiculous games. I LOVE No More Heroes.But watching the quicklook on the site....Something is off.I don't think Madworld is as exuberant as No More Heroes. I think that Madworld is a little too....dark and mean. Yeah, it celebrates it's own over the top violence....but there's nothing else their.When an enemy is cut and half in No More Heroes and shouts, "My Spleen!", That's funny and fun. Madworld....doesn't seem funny or fun. It doesn't seem exuberant. It doesn't even seem as crazy as 50 Cent:Blood on the Sand!I dunno....what do you guys think?"
yeah..i'm a level or two into the second part of the city and i just can't see myself going through the rest of the game. it doesn't have to charm of NMH and the gameplay is just kind of annoying. it all seems a little... off.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By HandsomeDead
spilledmilkfactory said:
"MattBodega said:
yeah..i'm a level or two into the second part of the city and i just can't see myself going through the rest of the game. it doesn't have to charm of NMH and the gameplay is just kind of annoying. it all seems a little... off."
You're obviously not a core gamer whose able to appreciate a mature game on an innovative system. Please, let me know if I left out any buzzwords.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Al3xand3r
Ujio said:
"If you ask me MadWorld is just a lame attempt to draw attention to the Wii and trying to break its stereotypical portrayal as the "kiddie" system this generation. So they figure they can release a game like this with gratuitous violence to try and break the mold for what the Wii audience is supposed to represent.It doesn't look that interesting as far as long term is concerned. It's more like a short term fix for the system, but I doubt it'll have any lasting effect after that. Running around killing people in hideous ways as the main draw of the game will get old very quickly."
Great conspiracy theory, too bad Nintendo had nothing to do with its development and SEGA has no reason to try and change the Wii's image, they could make money off of casual and kiddy games just the same. In fact, they do with Sonic. Also, this isn't the first bloody game on the Wii, there's been Manhunt 2, Resident Evil 4, Umbrella Chronicles, House of the Dead 2 & 3 and Overkill, No More Heroes, and likely others I forget. Try again. Also, I take it you have some sort of inherent inability to enjoy simple, fun games because they somehow compromise your image. MadWorld isn't the first beat em up or otherwise shallow action title, and there's nothing wrong with being a short term fix. Most games are. But I bet none of them were annoying enough to post about them in this manner huh? >_>
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BiggerBomb
Al3xand3r said:
"Ujio said:
"If you ask me MadWorld is just a lame attempt to draw attention to the Wii and trying to break its stereotypical portrayal as the "kiddie" system this generation. So they figure they can release a game like this with gratuitous violence to try and break the mold for what the Wii audience is supposed to represent.It doesn't look that interesting as far as long term is concerned. It's more like a short term fix for the system, but I doubt it'll have any lasting effect after that. Running around killing people in hideous ways as the main draw of the game will get old very quickly."
Great conspiracy theory, too bad Nintendo had nothing to do with its development and SEGA has no reason to try and change the Wii's image, they could make money off of casual and kiddy games just the same. In fact, they do with Sonic. Also, this isn't the first bloody game on the Wii, there's always Manhunt 2, Resident Evil 4, Umbreall Chronicles, Houst of the Dead 2 & 3 and Overkill, No More Heroes, and likely others. Try again. Also, keep being a constipated psudo intellectual with an apparent inability to enjoy simple, fun games because they somehow compromise your image. MadWorld isn't the first beat em up or otherwise shallow action title, and there's nothing wrong with being a short term fix. Most games are."

uhhhh-oh! Shh, don't say anything bad about the Wii and its game(s?)!
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Al3xand3r

Say anything bad you want, just don't expect people to suck it up and not counter all the ridiculous points. I haven't played MadWorld and I'm not saying it's a good game, what I said is pretty clear for anyone who isn't out flame baiting like yourself.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BiggerBomb
Al3xand3r said:
"Say anything bad you want, just don't expect people to suck it up and not counter all the ridiculous points. I haven't played MadWorld and I'm not saying it's a good game, what I said is pretty clear for anyone who isn't out flame baiting like yourself."

If it helps you sleep at night.
ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
Al3xand3r said:
"Say anything bad you want, just don't expect people to suck it up and not counter all the ridiculous points. I haven't played MadWorld and I'm not saying it's a good game, what I said is pretty clear for anyone who isn't out flame baiting like yourself."
you seem angry take a prozac or something ! 
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Al3xand3r

Judging emotions over the internet sure isn't your forte.

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
Al3xand3r said:
"Judging emotions over the internet sure isn't your forte."
cleverness and wit doesn't seem to be your forte in general ...
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Dalai

Nothing's weird.  Stabbing dudes with signposts and shoving them into a spike ass first is totally normal... and awesome.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By brukaoru

Well Nishikawa-san said if MadWorld only sold 100,000 copies but the people enjoyed it and said it wasn't like anything else they had seen before, he'd be happy.  He doesn't expect everyone to like the game and this game is obviously not made for everyone. You either like it or don't.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Arkthemaniac
HandsomeDead said:
"spilledmilkfactory said:
"MattBodega said:
yeah..i'm a level or two into the second part of the city and i just can't see myself going through the rest of the game. it doesn't have to charm of NMH and the gameplay is just kind of annoying. it all seems a little... off."
You're obviously not a core gamer whose able to appreciate a mature game on an innovative system. Please, let me know if I left out any buzzwords."
Innovative. No, you got that . . .

Jokes aside, though, quit hating on a game that looks to be pretty great, OP. If it doesn't sit well with you, then too bad. No one is making you play it. Go play RE5 instead. I find what I've seen of MadWorld to be hilarious. I'll get it once I have money.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#43  Edited By AgentJ
HandsomeDead said:
"It looks so boring. At the start of the Quick Look, I thought it was pretty funny and brutal as hell then by the end, I felt like i'd seen it all."
Why do you even bother commenting on anything Wii related? We get it already, you think the Wii is worthless, and thus everything on the Wii is worthless. 
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Linkyshinks

Seems perfectly fine to me.

brukaoru said:

"As Mark McDonald said on the first PlatinumGamesTV episode, when you see screenshots or have the audio turned off on the game, you don't really understand the humor that will be presented with the game. When you hear the characters, you'll get it. I think you need to play the game to get the humor presented within it.

I really think you need to play the game to get it's humor. The minimal footage you'll see in reviews, I do not think they will convey that humor very well. "

Agreed with this post, I would have pointed this out also. Watching the game does nothing to give you a feel of the experience MadWorld offers, playing it does by all accounts.

Al3xand3r said:
"If you want to post your opinion on the game you could do it on the quick look thread itself you know, this guy clearly isn't talking about that sort of thing, otherwise it would have been easy enough to pinpoint for himself and spare the thread creation >_>"

I'm puzzled as to why this thread was created also, does this game look weird hardly offers much for debate : /

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#45  Edited By LordAndrew
Linkyshinks said:
"I'm puzzled as to why this thread was created also, does this game look weird hardly offers much for debate : /"
I think Matt's trying to figure out why it's weird. He finds something odd about the game, and he's trying to see if anyone else knows what it is that's not right.
harrisonave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By harrisonave

It just... seems a lot like No More Heroes, to me.  No More Heroes meets Smash TV?  I can't really see how someone can praise No More Heroes, and be baffled by this game.  It's damn near the same exact format, only with the violence turned up to 11.  That's the only real reason it stands out.

Grind through a bunch of faceless henchmen.
Defeat the boss.
Rinse and repeat.

It was the same format for No More Heroes.  The gameplay and use of controls even seem to look and play very similar.

Why_So_Serious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Why_So_Serious

It's one of few gore games on the Wii. Of course its werid, but people will buy cause they want as many action games as possible for the Wii cause there are so few.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By HandsomeDead
AgentJ said:
"HandsomeDead said:
Why do you even bother commenting on anything Wii related? We get it already, you think the Wii is worthless, and thus everything on the Wii is worthless. 
"
Because I do own a Wii and I do want to play it, but garbage like MadWorld is constantly being spoon fed and someone needs to give the alternate opinion of you sickly sweet Wii lovers.

NinjaSquirrel
said:
"Artemis_D said:
"It just... seems a lot like No More Heroes, to me.  No More Heroes meets Smash TV?  I can't really see how someone can praise No More Heroes, and be baffled by this game.  It's damn near the same exact format, only with the violence turned up to 11.  That's the only real reason it stands out.Grind through a bunch of faceless henchmen.Defeat the boss.Rinse and repeat.It was the same format for No More Heroes.  The gameplay and use of controls even seem to look and play very similar. "
This is very true, but the thing with no more heroes is that it was actually funny and had good gameplay. It was constantly making fun of itself. That's debateable with madworld. Madworld is just kinda like "Isn't this enough? Dark, gritty, bloody, violent wii game? Awesome right?" I mean think if this game was on the xbox? This actually makes me think of the comduit, as all three of these games have a hardcore-game-on-the-wii-totally-finally-not-for-kids appeal. I sure hope the conduit doesn't get all too caught up in that kind of hype..."
If MadWorld were on the Xbox, no one would give a shit and it'd sink without a trace like Dark Sector or something.
Avatar image for luckywanderdude
LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By LuckyWanderDude

It looks like a bad attempt to emulate No More Heroes. That's kind of weird.

NinjaSquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#50  Edited By NinjaSquirrel
HandsomeDead said:
"AgentJ said:
"HandsomeDead said:
"
Because I do own a Wii and I do want to play it, but garbage like MadWorld is constantly being spoon fed and someone needs to give the alternate opinion of you sickly sweet Wii lovers.

NinjaSquirrel
said:
"Artemis_D said:
"It just... seems a lot like No More Heroes, to me.  No More Heroes meets Smash TV?  I can't really see how someone can praise No More Heroes, and be baffled by this game.  It's damn near the same exact format, only with the violence turned up to 11.  That's the only real reason it stands out.Grind through a bunch of faceless henchmen.Defeat the boss.Rinse and repeat.It was the same format for No More Heroes.  The gameplay and use of controls even seem to look and play very similar. "
This is very true, but the thing with no more heroes is that it was actually funny and had good gameplay. It was constantly making fun of itself. That's debateable with madworld. Madworld is just kinda like "Isn't this enough? Dark, gritty, bloody, violent wii game? Awesome right?" I mean think if this game was on the xbox? This actually makes me think of the comduit, as all three of these games have a hardcore-game-on-the-wii-totally-finally-not-for-kids appeal. I sure hope the conduit doesn't get all too caught up in that kind of hype..."
If MadWorld were on the Xbox, no one would give a shit and it'd sink without a trace like Dark Sector or something."
Exactly