Does the Giant Bomb staff prefer to play 360 multiplatform games?

HibikiRush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By HibikiRush

I'm curious if you guys also feel that it seems the staff prefer to play multiplatform games on 360 rather than on PS3.  They're usually talking about 360 versions of games, and also when you look at achievements the GiantBombing account has 100,000+ points on 360, while the PS3 account only has 260+ trophies.  I plan on getting a PS3 soon and am not sure how I'll decide if I'll get PS3 or 360 version of games, so I've been wondering. 

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By trophyhunter

yes they do

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By Yummylee

Catch on quick.
Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Bigandtasty

To put it bluntly, yes; if there is a multiplatform game they will almost always play the 360 version.

That said, the majority of multiplatform games no longer have game-breaking differences in visuals and performance between 360 and PS3. There are a few outliers such as Bayonetta, though. 

When it comes to picking which version to buy a 360/PS3 game on, it basically comes down to the differences in performance/visuals, if there is any; it also depends on which version your friends are playing if there is multiplayer.

Memoriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By Memoriter

I think so, but imo they always play the most common version of the game and that seens to be xbox, if its online then the 360 version is a no brainer, even if the ps3 offered better graphics.

btman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By btman

what pisses me off is that most games aren't developed to fully utilize the PS3

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Burns098356GX
@btman said:
" what pisses me off is that most games aren't developed to fully utilize the PS3 "
Which is exactly why my PS3 sits on the shelf collecting dust. I've even turned off the main power I use it so little.
Boostergold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Boostergold

ACHIEVEMENTS! ITS THE ACHIEVEMENTS! 
/thread
fugie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By fugie7

yeah they do.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@Bigandtasty said:
" To put it bluntly, yes; if there is a multiplatform game they will almost always play the 360 version.  That said, the majority of multiplatform games no longer have game-breaking differences in visuals and performance between 360 and PS3. There are a few outliers such as Bayonetta, though.   When it comes to picking which version to buy a 360/PS3 game on, it basically comes down to the differences in performance/visuals, if there is any; it also depends on which version your friends are playing if there is multiplayer. "
I think it is that they just dont wanna unhook the 360 and re hook the PS3.. 

I hate having to go back there in the cords...*lol* 
mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By mazik765
@Boostergold said:
" ACHIEVEMENTS! ITS THE ACHIEVEMENTS! /thread "
Agreed
haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By haggis

I own both consoles and generally buy the 360 version, because the 360 tends to be the primary dev console. And strangely enough, despite claims that the PS3 hardware is better, framerates have tended to be better on the 360 versions of multiplatform games. It doesn't make much sense to me, but it's been my experience. Honestly, I hardly play the PS3 at all anymore. I like the console fine, but I just haven't had that many reasons to turn it on lately. Maybe that'll change.

As for why the GB crew chooses the 360, I'd guess achievements are probably one part of it. Or maybe it's something innocuous, like preferring the 360 controller to the PS3's.

Avatar image for organicalistic_
Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Organicalistic_

ps3 if you have hd

360 are cheaper though n my area

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By MysteriousBob

To be fair, it does make sense considering its the better selling console of the pair. I guess its just their preference. Might be easier too- they may have the recording equipment set up for the 360 and its more accessible for them.

Avatar image for deactivated-57aaaa9329732
deactivated-57aaaa9329732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I've always wondered myself if in the case of multiplat games what system do they send out review copies for? Is it up to the reviewers or do they just send whatever?

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By penguindust

I have both a 360 & a PS3 and this is what it comes down to these days:  Where are all your friends?  If all your friends are playing online on the 360, then you should buy multiplatform games on the 360, if your friends & relatives are on the PS3 (like me), then that is the way to go.  I suspect that one of the reasons the GB staff plays on the 360 more often is because all the people they normally play with are on the 360 for whatever reason.  Could they switch to the PS3? Sure,  but then they'd have to convince their friends to buy/play the games on that system, so that's how it goes.  One the secrets to Microsoft's success in North America is that they launched early and so built a foundation of 360 players.  I might be able to convince one friend to buy Bad Company 2 on the PS3, but how do I convince his friend to switch and then his friend and his friend like a spiderweb branching out from the center?  At this point there isn't really much difference between the systems online, so it's where your friends are that matter.  The staff's friends are on the 360. 

Avatar image for peepeepoopoo696
peepeepoopoo696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By peepeepoopoo696

Yes they do.

Crono11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Crono11
@PenguinDust: 
That's exactly it. I really wanted to get a PS3 but I got an Xbox 360 instead because that's what all my friends had.