This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by christopherson329 (210 posts) -

I was playing some old nes games on my computer using an emulator and i was wonder if that makes me an asshole

#2 Posted by Kidavenger (3486 posts) -

@christopherson329 said:

dick asshole

no, just gay.

#3 Posted by doobie (605 posts) -

not really. but posting about it does

#4 Posted by Jams (2959 posts) -

No it makes you a white knight. (Just Kidding)

As far as I'm concerned, if the game is out of production and it's took expensive/hard to find then by all means. I also came to the conclusion that emulators and roms are going to be an important part in keeping the history of video games. Well at least the first 50 or so years until you won't be able to back them up for historical records. Kind of like what Jeff's been doing with his collection. Those cartridges and CD's are going to stop working/ get demolished in a flood at some point, so we need to get them on the internet to preserve them.

#5 Posted by YOU_DIED (702 posts) -

No, in fact it makes you the opposite of an asshole because you can appreciate old games. I play Sunset Riders and Streets of Rage 2 on my PC all the time.

#6 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

NES games? Fuck no, they aren't making money off of sales of the NES cartridges, and most of them can't be attained without spending more money than they are worth or going well out of your way to get them. And even then sometimes it's just not possible.

Now, if you're talking about PS2 games, that might be a bit different if you don't own the actual games/at least have owned a PS2 in the past. But NES is real damn old, and as far as I'm concerned that shit should be public domain.

@Kidavenger: Really dude?

#7 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3760 posts) -

Nah, I asked the same question a bit back when I started using emulators on my Nexus. They're old out of print games. Aside from some of them being on Virtual Console, there's no way to play those games.

#8 Posted by believer258 (11563 posts) -

No.

#9 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

no, some of the games are expensive. it's like 26 years old out of production, i don't think nintendo cares. they aren't getting any of the money if someone were to buy a NES game.

#10 Posted by Kerned (1169 posts) -

No, but your refusal to use capital letters or punctuation might.

#11 Posted by laserbolts (5309 posts) -

Not at all. Just don't let Kuchera catch you.

#12 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

Pretty sure that's what Jeff does to capture video for the Encyclopedia Bombastica. Just uses emulators for older games to save the hassle.

#13 Edited by algertman (852 posts) -

I think if there is no way to purchase the game currently to give money to whoever owns the game then it's sort of OK.

#14 Posted by ThePickle (4153 posts) -

Add another to the "no" pile. Sorry, I'm not willing to plunk down $400 on something that is older than I am and might not work.

#15 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11419 posts) -

The line for me mostly depends on if you can't get it elsewhere or not. Up to you, really.

#16 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

No because I do it all the time and I'm not a dick. Thats impossible.

#17 Posted by Aronleon (728 posts) -

Not really I mean game batteries WILL eventually die, and the only way to get those games is using an emulator, sure if you use it for things like PS2 or DS maybe but otherwise dont feel bad and enjoy the games man.

#18 Posted by frankfartmouth (1016 posts) -

No. I use them a lot. Even if you have the game, it's far more convenient to have everything in one spot. And like others said, it's absurd to pay $200 for a 20 year old Turbografx game. The only entity getting screwed there is ebay.

#19 Posted by BlastProcessing (910 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

DEAL WITH IT

#20 Posted by Pr1mus (3778 posts) -

No

#21 Posted by KaneRobot (1397 posts) -

Proud to be an asshole, I guess.

#22 Posted by KevinK (198 posts) -

You're kind of a dick, because they are available via means like Virtual Console. But that would require buying a Wii and also spending money. I guess it's easier to just google "NES emulator". Also, this is Generation Y we're talking about here, so we're all entitled to everything that ever existed ever for free.

#23 Posted by Solh0und (1753 posts) -

No. That's your business.

#24 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3720 posts) -

No dude.

Save states are amazing. They've made so many older games more enjoyable for me.

#25 Posted by HistoryInRust (6268 posts) -

@BlastProcessing said:

@laserbolts said:

DEAL WITH IT

IT'LL HURT HIS CAREER, WHICH IS A STEP IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.

#26 Posted by Abendlaender (2734 posts) -

Nobody cares.

#27 Posted by Arabes (338 posts) -

Yes, you are a terrible terrible dick. An awful person and you'll be first against the wall when the revolution comes.

@KevinK: Using emulators has nothing to do with being entitled, being entitled means that you feel you deserve everything and have a right to do it, get it etc. Using emulators is just common sense. I use them because they are free and because if I had to pay to play snes games I wouldn't play them. I don't use them because I feel I'm entitled to do so.

#28 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

Depends how much you're doing it. Most old games are available digitally by some means these days, so if you're pirating a load of old games, instead of giving money to the owners.. that's pretty dickish. No different from pirating a brand new game, really.

I'd only say there's an exception when the games are completely unavailable digitally or if the port is exceptionally bad.

#29 Posted by DeathbyYeti (742 posts) -

@BlastProcessing said:

@laserbolts said:

DEAL WITH IT

I knew I was right about you!

#30 Posted by Petiew (1322 posts) -

I don't think so. The people who made these games aren't going to get paid because you bought a cartridge off of ebay for $200.
Might as well avoid getting ripped off.

#31 Posted by Levio (1782 posts) -

No, unless you can buy them for a virtual console, then it's a tad iffy

#32 Posted by MB (11891 posts) -

Giant Bomb has a strict zero tolerance policy regarding discussing piracy.

Downloading roms and playing them with emulators is piracy and therefore outside the scope of what is permitted on the forums.