• 52 results
#1 Edited by Miketakon (514 posts) -

"This is spreading out of the Bonus Round/Doritos pope/keighley heard about sony DRM posts.

The jist of it is that Sony is listening to the backlash that Microsoft is getting and they are basing decisions off of this. I would assume MS is also, but I don't know that for sure. But I can say, for sure, that the past week's PR nightmare for MS has not been lost on Sony and they, in fact, do have a used game 'solution' working and have been going back and forth for months on whether to use it. This past week is pushing them strongly into "Yeah, let's not use that."

Do you want to give them an extra push? It can't hurt. I've been told by lower level people in the company that tweeting to yosp specifically is quite effective as he likes to gauge what people are thinking. Will a couple hundred posts from neogaf change the entire industry? No. Can it help give a little more momentum to something sony seems to be leaning towards already? I would think so.

So, if you care....

Here's the entire list of sony folks I know of that either are in on the decisions or have the ears of people who are in on the decisions that are on twitter.

My biggest piece of advice is be respectful. They aren't likely to finish a tweet in all caps threatening them.

Shuhei Yoshida

(president of worldwide studios)

@yosp

(easily the highest level person on twitter and quite accessible)

John Koller

(head of hardware marketing)

@jpkoller

(dude has like 150 followers - heh)

Guy Longworth

(senior vice president PlayStation Brand Marketing)

@luckylongworth

Scott Rohde

(PlayStation Software Product Development Head for Sony Worldwide Studios America)

@rohdescott

Also couldn't hurt to let the ex-journos that work there like

@nsuttner

and

@shanewatch

know what you are thinking. But again, remember, respectful. I would assume any of these guys are used to getting flamed and just instantly disregard tweets that seem pissed off.

Update 1:

#PS4NoDRM #PS4USEDGAMES are the hashtags being used.

Update 2: @rohdescott: I love passionate #PlayStation Fans!! https://twitter.com/RohdeScott/status/338816945975619584

Update 3: @jpkoller: This is why I love PlayStation fans- the passion overflows #playstation

https://twitter.com/jpkoller/status/338875150017642496

Via Neogaf

I don't really know if this will matter but it certainly won't hurt to try.

#2 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2591 posts) -

I was going to make a thread about this, too.

I know hash-tags are generally stupid, and as are twitter movements. BUT as my post history will suggest, I'm all in favour of being loud and clear in both your criticism and praise.

I encourage anyone who cares about playing a (very small) part in the future of the industry - or even the potential to do so - to jump on twitter and this bandwagon respectively.

Original thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=568033

#3 Edited by mosdl (3259 posts) -

Problem here is publishers are the ones pushing this, I am afraid Sony won't have much chance. EA can threaten to not publish games on ps4 if it doesn't offer a used games solution.

#4 Posted by Clonedzero (4196 posts) -

I can't imagine Sony is unaware of the current MASSIVE backlash against microsoft. A petition isn't going to do anything. They've already noticed, and if they do the same thing thats their fault. They obviously know whats going on with microsoft and why its happening. They're fully aware of it, theres no chance they havent been watching microsofts current hatefest goign on online.

Hopefully they take advantage of it and tweak their own policies and plans to be more consumer friendly, because that'd really push microsoft down a few more pegs.

Hell if Sony would take the hit and make most features free online instead of paying for playstation plus, that'd be huge. No DRM, free online, and all the features they showed off? yeah. they'd win in an instant.

#5 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2591 posts) -

@clonedzero: @clonedzero:

The difference here is the source of information. In this case, the creator of the Neogaf thread is a known and reliable Sony insider (ie he has a proven post history and his details are relatively trusted by the GAF moderators).

Our source (who goes by FamousMortimer) has let it be known that, indeed, Sony has seen the backlash to Microsoft's recent news and has used that to decide to abandon their used games "solution". They were going back and forth on it, but the huge buzz has provided a significant shift towards the no-drm side of the argument.

The twitter movement mentioned in the OP (#PS4NoDRM) isn't about "forcing their hands" or "raising awareness" or anything like that - it's to provide support for their recent moves to abandon used games DRM. Err... adding to the already-existing momentum, as it were.

Because of that, though it's small, it is likely to at least have some remote effect. Also, if it doesn't? Well, it can't hurt - can it?

#6 Posted by ch3burashka (5247 posts) -

I don't like DRM, so I don't eat.

#7 Posted by SexualBubblegumX (542 posts) -

I honestly suspect sony will do something similar, but less harsh. So they can screw consumers without looking like 'the bad guys'.

#8 Edited by Vinny_Says (5721 posts) -

It's been a whole week and I'm still confused. Do people want an all digital future or do they want to trade games with their friends? Right now as I understand it you can't have one without DRM and you can't have the other if you want the first thing....

I expect sony to do something similar to microsoft because it's the publiushers that really want to curb the used games thing. What would be funny is if by E3 we find out both consoles have the exact same DRM policies and then we'll have a whole bunch of great posts on the internet.

But what would be the best is if there was none of it on PS4 because I like to collect games and cases instead of 'files' and I only ever purchase used games if they are impossible to find new. Then again if I had a video game console with a 100TB drive with 1000s of games on it that would also be dope as hell. So I guess you could say I'm just as confused as everybody else on the internet....I don't know what I want.

#9 Edited by CommanderGermanShepard (303 posts) -

@vinny_says said:

It's been a whole week and I'm still confused. Do people want an all digital future or do they want to trade games with their friends? Right now as I understand it you can't have one without DRM and you can't have the other if you want the first thing....

I expect sony to do something similar to microsoft because it's the publiushers that really want to curb the used games thing. What would be funny is if by E3 we find out both consoles have the exact same DRM policies and then we'll have a whole bunch of great posts on the internet.

But what would be the best is if there was none of it on PS4 because I like to collect games and cases instead of 'files' and I only ever purchase used games if they are impossible to find new. Then again if I had a video game console with a 100TB drive with 1000s of games on it that would also be dope as hell. So I guess you could say I'm just as confused as everybody else on the internet....I don't know what I want.

Just make it that you have to go online to be able to install your games to the hard drive, other wise you won't be able to switch games without a disc. And the 30% of offline console owners today would still be able to play their games.

Have a pre load game setting like Steam has so you can unlock games at midnight of their release day and a competitive digital market with sales and 10% off the standard price of retail games, make the proposition attractive instead of just forcing it in.

And you wouldn't be able to fill up 100 TB of hard drive with games, because you can't carry over your Arcade Games which means you probably won't be able to carry over your Xbox One games to the Xbox Two in the future, this is another reason why the digital download future on the consoles isn't appealing.

#10 Posted by CommanderGermanShepard (303 posts) -

I can't imagine Sony is unaware of the current MASSIVE backlash against microsoft. A petition isn't going to do anything. They've already noticed, and if they do the same thing thats their fault. They obviously know whats going on with microsoft and why its happening. They're fully aware of it, theres no chance they havent been watching microsofts current hatefest goign on online.

Hopefully they take advantage of it and tweak their own policies and plans to be more consumer friendly, because that'd really push microsoft down a few more pegs.

Hell if Sony would take the hit and make most features free online instead of paying for playstation plus, that'd be huge. No DRM, free online, and all the features they showed off? yeah. they'd win in an instant.

Sony would of came forward and said out right "always online" and "no rented games" are not happening on their system after the conference, since they haven't I would suspect this is a back room deal between Sony, Microsoft and the publishers sadly.

#11 Edited by golguin (4045 posts) -

No, we don't want an all digital future where we can't lend and trade games with friends and family. People don't want to relinquish their consumer rights for this so called convenience of not putting a disk in a console. I know the GB crew is mostly on board with an all digital future, but they don't represent the common consumer. Most user on this website are not the common consumer.

I have family and friends that don't visit video game websites and they were pretty upset with the press conference and the idea of needing to be online to play games and the possibility of fees for borrowed games.

#12 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4488 posts) -

This a great way to get your point across. Spam those dudes but be constructive about it, not crazy.

#13 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2591 posts) -

This a great way to get your point across. Spam those dudes but be constructive about it, not crazy.

Hi5 hippie!

#14 Edited by kishinfoulux (2511 posts) -

This won't affect anything and I'm going to laugh when Sony does the same thing as MS.

#15 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2591 posts) -

@kishinfoulux said:

This won't affect anything and I'm going to laugh when Sony does the same thing as MS.

*shrug* - maybe, maybe not.

I'm not going to just stay silent about it and let it happen, though. The fact that it will probably do nothing is not a reason to not voice my opinion.

Eg. I vote for a specific minority political party every single time - I don't care if they have no chance of winning, they support my ideals, so they get my vote.

#16 Edited by xyzygy (10078 posts) -

I can't see Sony not doing the same thing. I simply don't see how one console will have such strict limits on used games and still expect to win over the crowd. It is definitely something that is being pressured by the big publishers like EA, Activision, 2K, etc. I don't think Sony or Microsoft really has the power to say no to this without the support of consumers, and that's why I'm all for this. I've already voiced my opinion multiple times to multiple different Microsoft accounts, will do the same for Sony.

It is actually for this reason that I wish Nintendo would have created better hardware. They would have been the ultimate plan B if both MS and Sony go forth with this ridiculous used game policy.

#17 Edited by MiniPato (2751 posts) -

I'm surprised we haven't seen any online petitions crop up. Those always come up when people are angry or scared about something. Not that this isn't worthy of worry.

#18 Edited by StarvingGamer (8555 posts) -

Who will answer this thread? Who will give the best answer!?

#19 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2591 posts) -

@starvinggamer said:

Me! Me!

Pick me!

Also, I got GB friend-of-the-site Adam Boyes to respond - though it was a classic non-answer.

You can find my twitter handle quite easily, but I'm not going to make it that easy.

ED: For those who don't know, Boyes is in the Publisher & Developer Relations arm of Playstation.

#20 Edited by egg (1469 posts) -

Maybe it's better if all the DRM happens. The ship can finally sink and it's the console gaming fans which will suffer the most.

Not to mention Vita doesn't block used games so it will be good for Vita.

#21 Edited by Miketakon (514 posts) -

Bug these duders too.

Shahid Kamal Ahmad

(third party relations, europe)

@shahidkamal

Nick Accordino

(SCEA ISD A. Producer)

@nikoro

#22 Edited by Drebin_893 (2933 posts) -

Ugh.

#23 Edited by jimmyfenix (3753 posts) -

why hasn't this thread been locked?

#24 Posted by jimmyfenix (3753 posts) -

this is basically spam

#25 Posted by isomeri (1415 posts) -

I do find it ironic that some gamers got upset over Microsofts rumored used game policies, so they decided to spam Sony on Twitter.

#26 Posted by SomeJerk (3389 posts) -

I will, I will!

If you take part in this spam campaign you are a fucking tool, Sony are already on our side internally and publically, the PS4 will be playable offline and there will be no f-in-the-a DRM, unless publisher pressure (EA, Activision, UbiSoft, Capcom) becomes large enough that the choices are to enable it on a per-game basis or watch Microsoft get exclusives.

#27 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

@isomeri said:

I do find it ironic that some gamers got upset over Microsofts rumored used game policies, so they decided to spam Sony on Twitter.

Sooonyy, did you see what Microsoooft diiid?
Sooony, please do something about it, they're mean, sooony! waaah waaah

Found on twitter from the always cheerful Totalbiscuit:

"gamespot.com/news/sony-rule… < May 7th, prior to this hashtag nonsense. Grats on your victory and also timetravelling ability"

#28 Posted by Darji (5293 posts) -

@isomeri said:

probably because Sony cares?

And if you look at Microsoft

IT is just a business answer.

#29 Edited by isomeri (1415 posts) -

@darji said:

@isomeri said:

I hate to break your bubble, but any corporation cares about its shareholders first and only then its customers. If adopting stricter DRM rules makes business sense for them, then stricter DRM it will be.

#30 Posted by Darji (5293 posts) -

@isomeri said:

@darji said:

@isomeri said:

I hate to break your bubble, but any corporation cares about its shareholders first and only then its customers. If adopting stricter DRM rules makes business sense for them, then stricter DRM it will be.

Wrong. Lets take a look at CDProject for example and their no dlc no drm philosophy. Does Sony want to make money? Yeah of course but all people have different approaches and Sony is very gaming and core focused.

#31 Posted by Yodasdarkside (300 posts) -

Although I don't buy used games myself, having made the decision to go all digital about halfway through my PS3's life (and loving it), it would be a major coup for Sony to reveal that their machine will just run used games without any faffing around. Look at the poll in the forums asking which console we're more excited for - it's already 90% PS4.

However, Patrick's really short and sharp analysis of the business reality of a new console on the last Bombcast really made me wonder if either of the two can afford to just let the used games thing be. If the majority of people flocked to Sony on the back of a freer used-games policy, is that enough to sustain them when fewer new games are being bought for their system due to used sales? Might Microsoft's backing of the big franchises like FIFA and CoD see them through in the long-run?

#32 Edited by shinjin977 (799 posts) -

Some of the sentiment on this topic are completely disgusting. Yeah lets all point finger and mock people who are trying to get their voices heard. Yes it might/probably fall on deaf ears for the most part but letting your out concern as a customer/person is NEVER a bad thing. I bet if one of you guys go to a restaurant and order a cheese burger, you know onion come with it and you are allergic to onion. You know it is coming, you know you don't want it, why wouldn't you call it out?

But no lets be the cool internet dudes that we are and mock people who are passionate enough to voice their concern about a product they are interested in. Video games might not have turn us into homicidal killers but the internet sure have turn us into uncaring selfish ass holes.

edit: I am not trying to call anyone out, apologies to all offended, just that this attitude of "not gonna matter these guys are tool/stupid" is really disgusting

#33 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1682 posts) -

I realize that asking for any kind of nuance from Twitter is utter madness, but what exactly is this campaign asking for? If it's just about used games, maybe don't use the hashtag "#PS4NoDRM", because make no mistake, the PS4 (like almost every video game console since the NES) will have DRM.

If your position is "the PS4 shouldn't have DRM" (and not "the PS4 shouldn't implement anti-used game DRM mechanisms"), nobody at Sony is going to take you seriously, nor should they.

#34 Edited by Brodehouse (10129 posts) -

Doesn't every machine come with DRM in the form of copy protection and banning modded consoles and so on? That DRM is okay, this isn't? What draws that line for you? You should be able to resell the disc at close to new value, but not copy it because... Why? Is there any effective universality to this anti-DRM push or is this merely emotional reactions to specific cases?

It just seems strange, because I saw the 'backlash' to copy protection 20 years ago, everyone who said it was their right to copy that floppy, and now people seem to accept it, but not banning used sales! Makes me think 20 years from now, the idea of used video games will be hysterical.

#35 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Doesn't every machine come with DRM in the form of copy protection and banning modded consoles and so on? That DRM is okay, this isn't? What draws that line for you? You should be able to resell the disc at close to new value, but not copy it because... Why? Is there any effective universality to this anti-DRM push or is this merely emotional reactions to specific cases?

It's the latter, the whole "emotional reactions"-thing
It usually always is.

#36 Edited by SomeJerk (3389 posts) -

Scenario:

I'm switching ISPs, something goes wrong, I get a week and a half offline, not counting tethering to my phone which I can only do over USB with my non-wifi computers.

Good DRM:

I can install and play my games offline.

Bad DRM:

I'm unable to install and play my games because I can only get my computers online and there is no manual way to do it over the phone like how you reactivate a Windows product key for a new hardware install. Not only that, I'm actually unable to play any games, because I cannot take it online even for just a moment.

Actuality:

Wasn't playing jack from EA Activision Ubi Capcom on consoles anyway, the four main offenders of "wait why what" DRM. Living in a calm neighbourhood with no wifi to steal or even borrow.

#37 Edited by connerthekewlkid (1843 posts) -

@darji said:

@isomeri said:

@darji said:

@isomeri said:

Wrong. Lets take a look at CDProject for example and their no dlc no drm philosophy. Does Sony want to make money? Yeah of course but all people have different approaches and Sony is very gaming and core focused.

Youre "facts" sure are overflowing with opinions

#38 Edited by jakob187 (21759 posts) -

@mosdl said:

Problem here is publishers are the ones pushing this, I am afraid Sony won't have much chance. EA can threaten to not publish games on ps4 if it doesn't offer a used games solution.

...yet EA has dropped their own online pass DRM because of the backlash against it.

Soooooooooooooooooooo yeah, I don't think that EA, a third party publisher that relies on as much market penetration as possible to try and gain profit, is going to discount an entire console because they would possibly be DRM-free. Hell, have you seen the list of games that they offer DRM-free through GOG.com? Sure, it's a lot of older games, but it's also a lot of BELOVED games that people would probably pay a pretty penny more just to have available to them. They don't gouge the prices on them, though. They were even kind enough to let a re-release of System Shock 2 happen this year!

It's not like they aren't AGAINST the idea. It's just that they are not super fond of it.

#39 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2591 posts) -

I'd like to point out to those who view this as a spam campaign that it doesn't have to be - it's your choice.

Many people have simply added to the overall "message" by just tweeting #PS4NoDRM and #PS4UsedGames without @-replying anyone. It's your call as to how you want to approach it - and, of course - if you want to take part at all.

Again, I know twitter movements are generally stupid, but over the last 24 hours this one has been pretty nice. By overwhelming majority the tweets and messages sent out have been civil and, in many cases, filled with nice words to say. People taking part aren't trying to do damage or make a statement, they want their opinions to be heard.

Anyway;

Some of the sentiment on this topic are completely disgusting. Yeah lets all point finger and mock people who are trying to get their voices heard. Yes it might/probably fall on deaf ears for the most part but letting your out concern as a customer/person is NEVER a bad thing. I bet if one of you guys go to a restaurant and order a cheese burger, you know onion come with it and you are allergic to onion. You know it is coming, you know you don't want it, why wouldn't you call it out?

But no lets be the cool internet dudes that we are and mock people who are passionate enough to voice their concern about a product they are interested in. Video games might not have turn us into homicidal killers but the internet sure have turn us into uncaring selfish ass holes.

edit: I am not trying to call anyone out, apologies to all offended, just that this attitude of "not gonna matter these guys are tool/stupid" is really disgusting

Thanks @shinjin977 - you get it.

If people don't like this thing, that's fine, don't participate, but leave those people who do like it to their own devices. It's their choice.

#40 Posted by Hunkulese (2875 posts) -

If no used games means every studio smaller than Ubisoft wont explode and they'll keep the price of games at $60 I'm all for it.

#41 Posted by BradBrains (1171 posts) -

If no used games means every studio smaller than Ubisoft wont explode and they'll keep the price of games at $60 I'm all for it.

this.

steam has done this for years and no one gives a shit but then sony or Microsoft does and its the end of the world.

I think developers should get money if someone other than yourself is going to play the game. people say show how you care with your wallet well you not giving any money to the developer is you and your wallet saying you dont care about them

I dont want to switch discs for every game. if it means a drm so that people can just copy the data to every console fine. should there be an offline way to verify? probably but its so easy to hack that kinda stuff if there isnt a server to check it at least once.

these kind of campaigns make gamers seem like giant babies. Im not sayin what they believe in is wrong but they way they are going about it is totally the wrong way. this kinda stuff like twitter spam doesnt help.

#42 Posted by geirr (2709 posts) -

Good to know!

#43 Posted by Freshbandito (689 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

@mosdl said:

...yet EA has dropped their own online pass DRM because of the backlash against it.

Soooooooooooooooooooo yeah, I don't think that EA, a third party publisher that relies on as much market penetration as possible to try and gain profit, is going to discount an entire console because they would possibly be DRM-free. Hell, have you seen the list of games that they offer DRM-free through GOG.com? Sure, it's a lot of older games, but it's also a lot of BELOVED games that people would probably pay a pretty penny more just to have available to them. They don't gouge the prices on them, though. They were even kind enough to let a re-release of System Shock 2 happen this year!

It's not like they aren't AGAINST the idea. It's just that they are not super fond of it.

I would argue that EA dropping their "project 10 dollar" DRM is, if anything, a sign that they were instrumental in creating this 'baked in' DRM on the consoles and not that it was a reaction to backlash.

Think about it, they get to look consumer friendly by cancelling an unpopular strategy of countering the used games market all the while they know that the next generation of consoles are signing deals with them to stamp out used games by attaching game disks to online profiles.

Sure it's a bit #tinfoilhat but it's the very first thing that jumped out at me.

#44 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2591 posts) -

@hunkulese: @darkstalker:

The whole situation is absurdly complex. I'm actually 100% in favour of a steam-like future where games span the entire price board, have DRM, but also have sales many times a year to offset prices for many gamers. Also, a digital future is perfectly fine by me, and about 30% of my games collection is digital.

Furthermore, I have never sold any of my games to a store - but I HAVE found games on used piles which have been out of print for aaaaages, or are insanely hard to find. The World Ends With You, the original Ratchet & Clank (with original box art), the original Ace Attorney, Okami on PS2 and Eternal Sonata. Because of that alone, I'm in 100% support of used games.

Would I prefer to have been able to purchase those same titles online for $10 and for that purchase to have been directly between me and the Publisher responsible? Absolutely. However, that just hasn't happened for half of those titles - I own Ace Attorney on my iPad now and Okami is on the PSN.

I don't see a world any time soon where all of the great games across PS1 and PS2 are available online. Heck, until recently you could only get System Shock and Ico/Shadows used on ebay.

I know the above is not entirely applicable for this day and age - but something similar can be said for 20-30years down the track, but for PS4 and XBO games (especially if, for the XBO, games are rendered useless when their DRM servers are shut down). There are certainly reasons to be concerned.

As for whether this whole campaign is silly and be ignored?

#45 Edited by BradBrains (1171 posts) -

@selfconfessedcynic:

Maybe i worded myself wrong. talking to the people that make thew changes is a great idea though the way some people are doing it is not the right way i dont think

Steam has the sales because of how it deals with owning games and such and i think if consoles did the same thing you would see sales like it. maybe not for some games. call of duty as an example barley goes on sale for super cheap. even on steam.

If you want things to involve we all have to let some things about past gaming go. in the End i think it will be better.

#46 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2591 posts) -

@darkstalker said:

@selfconfessedcynic:

Maybe i worded myself wrong. talking to the people that make thew changes is a great idea though the way someon peopel are doing it is not right.

Steam has the sales because of how it deals with owning games and such and i think if consoles did the same thing you would see sales like it. maybe not for some games. call of duty as an example barley goes on sale for super cheap. even on steam.

If you want things to involve we all have to let some things about past gaming go. in the End i think it will be better.

Man, I think you and I both agree that if everything worked like Steam, the world would be a better place. Heck, I'd buy more furniture if it worked like Steam.

But in this case, although I see your argument, I think we can agree to disagree - as I don't want to let the good old times go. Not like this anyway - let physical media fade out gracefully, not with this push towards restrictions and reduced rights.

Oh, and I got on in the first place because I wanted to post this image - namely because I agree with the sentiment, but also because Captain America lost this fight. Many of us are fully aware that this twitter thing is nonsense, but are doing it anyway because we feel it's... well, not important per se, but it means something to us.

#47 Posted by Hunkulese (2875 posts) -

@selfconfessedcynic: Your reason for backing used games isn't really relevant anymore since everything will be available digitally.

#48 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2591 posts) -

@hunkulese said:

@selfconfessedcynic: Your reason for backing used games isn't really relevant anymore since everything will be available digitally.

True to some extent, I agree. But at least thus far, my secondary point stands - "Something similar can be said for 20-30years down the track, but for PS4 and XBO games (especially if, for the XBO, games are rendered useless when their DRM servers are shut down)"

The precedent has been set already - see MAG. I know noone remembers that game (for better or worse), but the idea that the games we bought may stop working for reasons beyond our control is a sobering one.

Furthermore, a precedent has been set that each console generation does not support the previous. Backwards compatibility is no longer a thing and the original Xbox Live has been shut down - there are legitimate concerns about the future of console games if both DRM and anti-used games policies become a thing.

As to whether there will be new consoles in the future? That's another discussion entirely.

#49 Edited by sopranosfan (1935 posts) -

The thing that I think console manufacturers are overlooking is that it will push the core gamer to the PC market. Why am I gong to pay $400-500 for a console when for couple hundred more I can get a gaming PC where PC games are regularly significantly cheaper that will pay for the difference as many games as I buy and includes a modding community.

#50 Posted by AiurFlux (902 posts) -

@mosdl said:

And it's up to good guy Sony to be good guy Sony and say fine, potentially lose millions upon millions of sales. EA has already been voted worst company in America two years in a row, doing something like that will absolutely make it three in a row.

Gamers are generally smart and reward asshole dickheads with spam, DDoS attacks, and maybe a few smatterings of goatse or lemonparty in there for good fun.