• 123 results
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Edited By Hailinel

Though Roger Ebert supposedly gave up his debate against video games being art, mostly by publicly stating that he's sorry he ever brought the subject up in the first place, he apparently isn't above posting the occasional childish retort on Twitter.  To whit:

Aaaaaand, here we go again.
This comment of course stems from the Smithsonian's upcoming video game exhibit.  Now, I'm not posting this to say that Ebert is wrong, or bring up the "games as art" debate for the hojillionth time.  This is just a general plea.  Don't be this guy.  Don't be this guy who has spent so many years immersed in his medium of choice, his life's work, that he has become a parody of himself.  The man in the ivory tower sneering at something he doesn't understand, nor chooses to make the effort to do so.  As someone that spent four years in college studying film history and theory, and critique, there are aspects that I admire about Ebert.  He has an encyclopedic knowledge of film and a deep respect for the medium.  But he chose to stir a pot, and was not prepared for the violent splash he received.  Eventually, he chose to take his ball and stay in his tower, and now he's content to merely sling taunts and insults from his Twitter feed.

No matter whether you believe games are art or not, keep an open mind and maintain a willingness for civil discourse.  Just because we disagree on something, nor may we ever agree, mean that the debate can't still take place.  Both sides can learn things, so long as they're willing to learn.  Ebert, unfortunately, isn't, and look where it's gotten him.

So please, don't be this guy.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Hailinel

Though Roger Ebert supposedly gave up his debate against video games being art, mostly by publicly stating that he's sorry he ever brought the subject up in the first place, he apparently isn't above posting the occasional childish retort on Twitter.  To whit:

This comment of course stems from the Smithsonian's upcoming video game exhibit.  Now, I'm not posting this to say that Ebert is wrong, or bring up the "games as art" debate for the hojillionth time.  This is just a general plea.  Don't be this guy.  Don't be this guy who has spent so many years immersed in his medium of choice, his life's work, that he has become a parody of himself.  The man in the ivory tower sneering at something he doesn't understand, nor chooses to make the effort to do so.  As someone that spent four years in college studying film history and theory, and critique, there are aspects that I admire about Ebert.  He has an encyclopedic knowledge of film and a deep respect for the medium.  But he chose to stir a pot, and was not prepared for the violent splash he received.  Eventually, he chose to take his ball and stay in his tower, and now he's content to merely sling taunts and insults from his Twitter feed.

No matter whether you believe games are art or not, keep an open mind and maintain a willingness for civil discourse.  Just because we disagree on something, nor may we ever agree, mean that the debate can't still take place.  Both sides can learn things, so long as they're willing to learn.  Ebert, unfortunately, isn't, and look where it's gotten him.

So please, don't be this guy.
dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By dungbootle

That is really shitty.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Daveyo520

What is up his ass? Okay, don't think they are art but don't diss on them.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By EpicSteve

I accept all forms of entertainment. Movies, videogames, books, paying the massage lady a "special" fee. You name it.  

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By spankingaddict

Mmkay...

amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By amomjc

I stopped listening to his trash when he started going ape-shit on movies that I loved for reasons that only an old-hermit stuck in his ways could see. He's one of those critics that doesn't actually enjoy anything he watches or plays, just looks for ways to criticize or reinforce each part of it.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ryanwho

Ebert's pretty good at sending angry nerds into angry nerd rage. If your response to his twitter is longer than his twitter, you give a shit too much. Cus its twitter. Its one thought out of 10 he had that day that made the cut on twitter.

Also, it was more a statement about the Smithsonian than videogames but if you need to flip out about something who am I to stop you.
ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By ptys

Personally I don't classify most of what comes out of Hollywood as art, so not sure why a film critics opinion carries such weight?

stringbacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By stringbacon

If Sonic Adventure is part of that exhibit, he's right.

RobertOrri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By RobertOrri

Eh, who cares, really? He can have valid and informed opinions on films, but as far as video games are concerned he knows about as much as my grandmother.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#11  Edited By Video_Game_King

And just like that, I'm back to hating Roger Ebert. Should I cite all the games that are art?

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

So he's a troll now.

Congrates ebert.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ryanwho
@Video_Game_King said:
" And just like that, I'm back to hating Roger Ebert. Should I cite all the games that are art? "
lol doesn't get it
JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By JasonR86
@Hailinel:

When I saw the title of this thread I thought you were talking about this guy;
 http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/redspaceman/
ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By ArchScabby

You know he brings this up so much maybe he's on to something.  If he would just come down here and tell me in person, you know words from his own mouth, I just might side with him.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ryanwho
@ArchScabby said:
" You know he brings this up so much maybe he's on to something.  If he would just come down here and tell me in person, you know words from his own mouth, I just might side with him. "
Really,  throat cancer joke? Keep it classy, GB.
Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Dany
@ryanwho said:
" Ebert's pretty good at sending angry nerds into angry nerd rage. If your response to his twitter is longer than his twitter, you give a shit too much. Cus its twitter. Its one thought out of 10 he had that day that made the cut on twitter.
Also, it was more a statement about the Smithsonian than videogames but if you need to flip out about something who am I to stop you.
"
I agree. I respect Ebert's opinion on films. First thing I do after seeing a film is check out what Ebert thinks. But his oppinions on video games are simply uninformed. He isn't a fan, so yeah, he'll be dismissive of them
Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Dude, C'mon.

@ArchScabby said:
" You know he brings this up so much maybe he's on to something.  If he would just come down here and tell me in person, you know words from his own mouth, I just might side with him. "
I'm not sure if thats a horrible joke or not.
Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Slaker117

Whether or not you think video games are art, you can't deny that they have been culturally significant. Berating the Smithsonian for acknowledging that is silly.

That being said, I can't help but feel like the exhibit is a joke. The way they organized it is nonsense, and not conducive to recognizing the form in a meaningful way.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Video_Game_King
@ryanwho said:
" @Video_Game_King said:
" And just like that, I'm back to hating Roger Ebert. Should I cite all the games that are art? "
lol doesn't get it "
What am I not getting? Ebert sucks. What more is there to get?
TomP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By TomP
@ArchScabby said:
I hate myself for chuckling at that. 
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ryanwho
@Video_Game_King said:
" @ryanwho said:
" @Video_Game_King said:
lol doesn't get it "
What am I not getting? Ebert sucks. What more is there to get? "
Never gonna get it
DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DystopiaX

I don't really care that he doesn't get it...there certainly are things other people like that I don't get at all and probably actively hate on...w/e I could care less what he says.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hailinel
@Slaker117 said:
" Whether or not you think video games are art, you can't deny that they have been culturally significant. Berating the Smithsonian for acknowledging that is silly.That being said, I can't help but feel like the exhibit is a joke. The way they organized it is nonsense, and not conducive to recognizing the form in a meaningful way. "
True, the Smithsonian exhibit isn't what I would call the best at what it's attempting to do, but that's really another discussion altogether.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ryanwho
@DystopiaX said:
" I don't really care that he doesn't get it...there certainly are things other people like that I don't get at all and probably actively hate on...w/e I could care less what he says. "
Please try.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Video_Game_King
@ryanwho:

What am I not getting? Care to explain?
PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I don't understand the problem with that tweet. It was kinda funny. It's funnier than a lame joke about him not being able to speak, that's for sure. Grow up, people.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Aus_azn

You can't forget that Ebert is 68 and literally has no voice. And won the first Pulitzer Prize for "Criticism"; of course he's stubborn.

EDIT: 1337th post, yay?

Avatar image for thevideohustler
TheVideoHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheVideoHustler
@stringbacon:

If giantbomb let us like posts. I would like this
yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#30  Edited By yoshimitz707

I thought this was going to be a topic about ryanwho.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DystopiaX
@ryanwho said:
" @DystopiaX said:
" I don't really care that he doesn't get it...there certainly are things other people like that I don't get at all and probably actively hate on...w/e I could care less what he says. "
Please try. "
lol whoops.

@TheVideoHustler said:
" @stringbacon: If giantbomb let us like posts. I would like this "
I'm glad they don't...liking posts just turns into a lot of bullshit and tons of "blah blah blah topical LIKE THIS IF YOU AGREE" comments.
Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By Gerhabio

Dude, has WALLS of text on the comments section of that one article he wrote about video games not being art, mostly rebuttals, of course.

I can't remember his reasons... was it because video games are made for commercial purposes? or because they are made by more than one person? I can't remember.
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#33  Edited By ArbitraryWater
@Video_Game_King said:
" @ryanwho: What am I not getting? Care to explain? "
He, being the guy who acts like everyone around him is an idiot, has implied that because you are angry at Roger Ebert for not bothering to understand video games that you're just wasting your time because you've spent more time thinking about Roger Ebert's stupid tweet than Roger Ebert. At least, that's what I could parse out from all his condescending replies.
lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By lead_farmer

Roger Ebert has always lacked a certain flexibility on how he perceives entertainment.  That's really just his loss.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Hailinel
@G3RHRT said:
" Dude, has WALLS of text on the comments section of that one article he wrote about video games not being art, mostly rebuttals, of course.

I can't remember his reasons... was it because video games are made for commercial purposes? or because they are made by more than one person? I can't remember.
"
Neither of those (as both reasons could easily be applied to film).  As I recall, his argument centered mostly on the interactive nature of games and how the experience changes from player to player.  Thus how can there be an artistic vision to express if not everyone is able to view it the same way.
Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Subjugation

Dude was pretty good at what he did. Unfortunately that had nothing to do with games so he should probably stick to what he knows. Or you can be like him and be the adult that doesn't act like an adult.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Video_Game_King
@ArbitraryWater:

But doesn't that mean I come out superior, since I put more thought into my beliefs than he did into his? Or is there something I'm still not getting?
FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38  Edited By FireBurger

Who cares? Just because he's famous, does that mean his opinion should be taken any more seriously than some random person's on the street? People make a campaign out of discrediting this guy for no reason. Don't let him and his personal opinion get under your skin so much.

He's not affecting a damn thing.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Evilsbane
@Hailinel: ...I used to have so much respect for this guy, I still can't help but HAVE some respect But Only from a movie standpoint now its clear his opinions outside of Films are that of a man of his generation.
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ArbitraryWater
@Video_Game_King said:

" @ArbitraryWater: But doesn't that mean I come out superior, since I put more thought into my beliefs than he did into his? Or is there something I'm still not getting? "

Eh, you come out superior because you're not a dude who thinks he's important because he had a movie reviewing show a billion years ago. Roger Ebert has done plenty of petty back and forth with the likes of Clive Barker in regards to what he thinks about Video Games, so I think he's put plenty of misguided thought in his weird crusade to discredit video games as art. Even though we have plenty of pretentious artsy video games that qualify as art if you're an artsy person.  The solution is, as the topic title suggested, is to continue to not be Roger Ebert.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#41  Edited By Claude
@xaLieNxGrEyx said:
"

So he's a troll now.

Congrates ebert.

"
When Ebert learns the art of the troll, then we're all in trouble.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Video_Game_King
@ArbitraryWater:

So I still win. Hooray.
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#43  Edited By Karl_Boss
@ryanwho said:
" Ebert's pretty good at sending angry nerds into angry nerd rage. If your response to his twitter is longer than his twitter, you give a shit too much. Cus its twitter. Its one thought out of 10 he had that day that made the cut on twitter.
"
I usually don't agree with what you say but I agree with you here....also I have a lot of respect for Roger Ebert and he has a lot of quotes that I use as inspiration.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By iam3green

video games can count as art. this guy is weird.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#45  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
@Unknown_Pleasures said:
" @ryanwho said:
"
I usually don't agree with what you say but I agree with you here....also I have a lot of respect for Roger Ebert and he has a lot of quotes that I use as inspiration. "
Ditto
Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Oldirtybearon

It's sad that a guy as respected and intelligent as Roger Ebert can't appreciate a new medium like video games. I think my frustration stems not from his incapability to "get" how games are art, but more so he's content to be dismissive and continue mudslinging from his corner of the Internet. 

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ArbitraryWater
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#48  Edited By Brendan

It's too bad that someone with such incredible insight into a certain medium can be so blind to another, but that's how it often goes.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#49  Edited By Animasta

god why the fuck do you care?

also whoever made that joke about him not speaking... grow up please, that was terrible.

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By thehexeditor

ARE YOU SAYING

NO MORE HEROES IS NOT ART

FUCK YOU EBERT. FUCK YOU

YOU'RE THE PHILISTINE, EBERT. A GODDAMN PHILISTINE.

(Really though, I don't agree with him but he's entitled to his opinion.)