• 72 results
#51 Posted by hermes (1387 posts) -

@naru_joe93: GOTY deliberations has never been about importance but about games the staff have enjoyed. If importance was a factor, I don't think X-COM would have won last year, and this year would be dominated by DOTA and GTA 5 (I hope not).

Since last year, Jeff's GOTY was Far Cry 3, Brad's was Mass Effect 3 and Patrick's was Walking Dead, I believe there will be a broad range of games being represented.

#52 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4605 posts) -

I really don't think anyone else at Giant Bomb would allow Brad to further his dirty, dirty dota agenda past #9 on the top ten list. Even then it's like throwing a few dollars at the homeless because it's cold and you feel bad that they have to sleep in the snow.

That thing going any higher is like inviting that bum into your house where they can bring lice, fleas, leave AIDS in the sink and lord knows what other filthy, dirty diseases they might have.

Dota actually winning Game of the Year is like that bum knocking you out cold, sodomizing you, and then stealing your wallet and calling his cohorts of the homeless to take everything you own not nailed down. You might as well just kill yourself at that point.

#53 Posted by Zero_ (1973 posts) -

Don't be silly. There's no way Dota should win Game of the Year.

That's because it's the game of the generation.

No seriously, 10 years from now, people will STILL be playing Dota2 and still be going crazy over it. Dota 1 has been out for ages, and it's still being played.

#54 Edited by RecSpec (3766 posts) -

As someone who has no interest in playing Dota ever again, I hope Brad fights for it to be on the top 10. I think it deserves to be up there.

#55 Posted by vikingdeath1 (933 posts) -

If DOTA 2 is on the Giantbomb top 10 of the year I will be Sorely surprised.

isn't it only Brad that is into it? I mean, they all played it that one TNT but i think most of their opinions didn't sway from "Meh"

#56 Posted by Ratinho (77 posts) -

If previous GotYs have taught us anything, it's that Brad doesn't, and shouldn't, get his way.

And i support the guys on that stance.

#57 Edited by Veektarius (4639 posts) -

Curious where Dota2 will come out in the list, actually, since only one of the core team play it or even like it, from what I can tell. Obviously Brad will lobby for it to go somewhere, but can it win anything with no other support?

#58 Posted by Winternet (8008 posts) -

Think about it:

1) Tidehunter -> Tide -> Sea -> The mother in Brothers dies drowned at sea

2) Phantom Lancer -> Commonly called as Cancer Lancer -> Cancer is a disease -> The father in Brothers is suffering from a disease

3) Slark -> He sometimes says "Wriggle, wriggle, little fish" -> Fish can be found in the Sea -> The mother in Brothers dies drowned at sea

4) Bristleback -> Has two "b"s in the name -> Two is also the number of sons in Brothers.

Follow the money!

#59 Posted by chilibean_3 (1625 posts) -

wp

#60 Edited by chiablo (908 posts) -

I started playing DotA2 in August. I have almost 300 hours of game time. My weekends are frequently consumed by DotA binges.

IT WILL TAKE OVER YOUR LIFE!

Game of the Year

#61 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2990 posts) -

@mcfart said:

I'll laugh if Brad actually forces an award on DOTA 2. Even GS didn't give it an award (for some unfathonable reason Path of Exile is their PC GOTY)

lol what? That game is OK I guess.

#62 Edited by Dan_CiTi (3188 posts) -

I think MOBAs are a snooze, but Brad likes them so I imagine it will at least be high on his list.

#63 Edited by kishinfoulux (2256 posts) -

Brad knows the score; no one in the office likes it, but they can't deny how huge it is. It wont be number one, it wont be in the top 5, but I bet that it will be on the list. Brad will make the case for its importance and everyone will comply. Jeff did the same thing with syndicate last year, except syndicate didnt deserve to be on the list.

Also, this is coming from a person who cant stand MOBAs or esport bullcrap. I can still admit that these games are widely regarded and are a huge thing in this industry right now, dota2 especially.

I actually think it deserves to be in the top five and Brad can definitely make it there with a good argument. This is from someone who only dabbled in it for a little bit.

#64 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1740 posts) -

@hunkulese said:

It's a shame since it's the second best moba.

Ha. I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. If not, this is definitely not the website to mention it. Even getting people to discuss DOTA 2 on the site was near impossible before Brad got into it.

Unrelated to that comment, I find it odd that MOBAs aren't more often covered by video game journalists. They're here, and they're changing a lot about the landscape of video games. It'd be like if no one covered MMOs 10 years ago. (Not an exact parallel, guy who is eventually going to point out how that is not an exact parallel.)

#65 Edited by Redsox44 (481 posts) -

What's wrong with Gamespot giving PoE the award? I've played more dota 2 than anything else this year but I think PoE is a worthy game, liked it way more than Diablo 3 and i didn't pay a cent for anything unlike the $60 for D3.

#66 Posted by coaxmetal (1580 posts) -

@mcfart said:

I'll laugh if Brad actually forces an award on DOTA 2. Even GS didn't give it an award (for some unfathonable reason Path of Exile is their PC GOTY)

Path of Exile is really good

#67 Edited by Trilogy (2645 posts) -

Started playing Dota 2 earlier this year during the beta. Played it for a few hours and never touched it again. It's ok I guess.

Game of the LAST BILLION YEARSSSS OH MY GOD, BASED DOTA...YOU CAN GANK MY FRIEND, BASED DOTA...

Ahem, what were we talking about?

#68 Posted by ProfessorEss (7281 posts) -

I'm not exactly sure what you guys want Brad to do. I mean do you guys really think that a game Brad has spent endless hours playing all year having hooting hollering fun with friends and online onlookers doesn't deserve to even be considered? Shit, Brad's probably played more hours of DOTA than Jeff's played hours of GAMES this year, does that not count for anything?

You guys kinda got me feelin' all GO DOTA 2! right now.

#69 Posted by Three0neFive (2288 posts) -

@mcfart said:

Except for the unbearable lag and desynch that makes high-level play literally impossible

#70 Edited by coaxmetal (1580 posts) -

@three0nefive said:

@riboflavin said:

@mcfart said:

Except for the unbearable lag and desynch that makes high-level play literally impossible

It varies, but I've only found it to make play "impossible" once, maybe twice. Though I do play on dom so its not as big of a deal if I die. Regardless, that problem isn't universal, it varies by circumstance, player, and internet conditions.

I didn't know gamespot gave it an award, but that checks out. There aren't really a lot of PC exclusives this year, but PoE is probably the best one. Or at least a good one.

#71 Posted by Animasta (14650 posts) -

DOTA 2 is actually the theme for this year's GOTY.

except it's not on the top 10.

#72 Posted by GaspoweR (2830 posts) -

@chiablo said:

I started playing DotA2 in August. I have almost 300 hours of game time. My weekends are frequently consumed by DotA binges.

IT WILL TAKE OVER YOUR LIFE!

Game of the Year

-Testimonial from a satisfied customer

#73 Posted by crithon (3081 posts) -

I will stab myself in the testicles if it even makes it into the top 5.