#1 Posted by Retodon8 (47 posts) -

Apparently I can pick a couple of PSP games and download them for free because of the big PSN outage. 
(I already downloaded my free PS3 games; nice!)
Now I don't own a PSP at the moment, but I wouldn't mind having the licenses to some PSP games tied to my PSN account.
Especially with the NGP... Vita coming, which looks interesting enough to consider, and which I believe is backwards compatible.  
My PSN account knows I don't have a PSP, so it doesn't let me do that.

In this case, would I have to buy a PSP, log in with my PSN account, and start the downloads to get the licenses?
From what I gather, licenses are tied to accounts, and can be used on up to 3 PSPs. 
Is it possible to have multiple accounts on a single PSP?
That would mean I'd only have to find someone with a PSP willing to temporarily let me add my account (and game licenses) to his PSP, right?
Maybe it's more like connecting a PSP to a single PS3?

Actually I might already be too late asking this, but either way I'm curious.
Thanks for any enlightenment! :)

#2 Posted by Twitchey (865 posts) -

You can play PSP games on your PS3. 
For getting them on your Vite. Just sign into your PSN on the Vita and it should work.

#3 Posted by Spoonman671 (4527 posts) -

I don't have a PSP and I still downloaded the two free PSP games to my PS3.

#4 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

you can't play psp games in the ps3

#5 Posted by sopranosfan (1935 posts) -

I don't know if I can or not but I figured it was worth a shot and tried.  They don't take up much space and if it works it will give me something to play in addition to Uncharted on the Vita.

#6 Posted by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -

@Twitchey said:

You can play PSP games on your PS3. For getting them on your Vite. Just sign into your PSN on the Vita and it should work.

You can play a few PSP games and PS1 games on your PS3. Most games don't work on the PS3 of course. No one is going to be playing Persona 3 Portable or MGS: Peace Walker(current version) on a PS3.

#7 Posted by Retodon8 (47 posts) -
@sopranosfan said:
I don't know if I can or not but I figured it was worth a shot and tried.  They don't take up much space and if it works it will give me something to play in addition to Uncharted on the Vita.

So did you get it to work? How?
I managed to download the PS3 games using the method mentioned near the end of this FAQ:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/06/03/welcome-back/
I opened the PS Store, selected Welcome Back, and downloaded the games I wanted.
I remember I needed to download a main Welcome Back thing before it let me download the actual games.

The Welcome Back section currently only shows "PlayStation Plus", which groups a bunch of PS Plus offers. 
I can understand the free PS3 games aren't listed there any more, but there are no free PSP games there either.

There is supposed to be an alternative way if a download failed:
On your XMB, go: PlayStation Network > Account Management > Services List > SCEA Promotion.
Actually on my PS3 (Europe) there is "PlayStation Network Promoties" and inside it "Gratis PlayStation 3 Games".
There is no "Gratis PSP Games" there.

Now what?
Again, thanks for any help! :)

@Twitchey said:
You can play PSP games on your PS3.  For getting them on your Vite. Just sign into your PSN on the Vita and it should work.
There are the so called "PlayStation Minis" which are PSP games, most of which you can also play on your PS3.
Everything that isn't a Mini won't work.
My problem isn't getting them on a PSP or Vita, but getting the licenses before that.
#8 Posted by sopranosfan (1935 posts) -
@Retodon8: I hit the claim PSP game and then chose the game the same as I did for the PS3 games.  I don't remember exactly the way I did it because I did it a day or two after the program started.