Download Speed on Steam

BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By BigLemon

I've been downloading a few games recently via the Steam client, and they are downloading at an unbelievably slow rate (around 30 KB/s transfer rate)

I benchmarked my internet download and upload speed on a few different speed test sites to both Chicago and New York (I live in Michigan), and I'm averaging around 8000 kbps with about 900 KB/s transfer rate. I've tried changing my settings between the >10 MB and the > 2 MB to no avail (I usually run on the >10 MB without any problems), and I've also tried changing my download region, also without any luck.

Is this something that should just be chalked up to high download traffic around this time of year? I know they've got a ton of specials going on right now, so perhaps it's just that there are so many people in the area downloading, but if anyone has any suggestions, that'd be swell.

Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Babble
@BigLemon said:
" I've been downloading a few games recently via the Steam client, and they are downloading at an unbelievably slow rate (around 30 KB/s transfer rate)  I benchmarked my internet download and upload speed on a few different speed test sites to both Chicago and New York (I live in Michigan), and I'm averaging around 8000 kbps with about 900 KB/s transfer rate. I've tried changing my settings between the >10 MB and the > 2 MB to no avail (I usually run on the >10 MB without any problems), and I've also tried changing my download region, also without any luck.  Is this something that should just be chalked up to high download traffic around this time of year? I know they've got a ton of specials going on right now, so perhaps it's just that there are so many people in the area downloading, but if anyone has any suggestions, that'd be swell. "
I would agree and say it's most likely the holiday sale putting a strain on Steam. I know a lot of other people having similar download speeds around this time, even when during other parts of the year it's much better.
mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By mracoon

The sale means everybody's downloading a lot of games off Steam so inevitably it's going to be slower then normal. I've bought a few games this week but the only one I downloaded was X-COM and that took about 10 seconds to download but then again it was only 20Mb.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By JoelTGM

I usually get at least 500 kb/s, and at some point it always makes it to 1 mb/s or more.  It depends on the game I think, and because of the christmas deals it's getting bogged down with so many people downloading.  I looked at the stats earlier today and there were like 2.2 million people online at that very moment...

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cspiffo

You could barely even download a game 2 days ago.  It's actually much better today. 

BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BigLemon
@DOUBLESHOCK said:
" I usually get at least 500 kb/s, and at some point it always makes it to 1 mb/s or more.  It depends on the game I think, and because of the christmas deals it's getting bogged down with so many people downloading.  I looked at the stats earlier today and there were like 2.2 million people online at that very moment... "
Dang that's a lot of people

But yeah, I usually get up to 1MB/s transfer rate, but just the past week it's been frustratingly low.
grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By grilledcheez

Steam has been getting slammed due to the sale.  My friend was downloading a game at my house the other day at around 130 kb/s which is WAY slower than my usual speeds.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Ben_H

It's been hit and miss.  It seems that later at night I get around 1.1ish Mb/s or higher but right now I'm only getting about 300Kb/s max.  Usually more like 100-200.  I left it on over night and installed Assassin's Creed, STALKER, and World in Conflict all at once but it took me a whole day to get Medieval 2.  Try installing at night.  There seems to be way fewer people on then and faster speeds.

Avatar image for the_philosopher
The_Philosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By The_Philosopher
@BigLemon: 
Weird mine always downloads at at least 300Kb/s. Maybe it's just your internet?
BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BigLemon
@The_Philosopher said:
" @BigLemon:  Weird mine always downloads at at least 300Kb/s. Maybe it's just your internet? "
Nah my internet seems fine. i can download anything else at normal speeds of around 800-900 KB/s. 

@Ben_H said:
" It's been hit and miss.  It seems that later at night I get around 1.1ish Mb/s or higher but right now I'm only getting about 300Kb/s max.  Usually more like 100-200.  I left it on over night and installed Assassin's Creed, STALKER, and World in Conflict all at once but it took me a whole day to get Medieval 2.  Try installing at night.  There seems to be way fewer people on then and faster speeds. "

Yeah thanks, I'll probably just have to do overnight installs or just wait until later at night to download.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I'm getting 700 - 900 KB per second. I usually download an entire game within a few hours and play it. I have no idea why it's not working for you, i'm sorry to hear that. I'm just letting you know steam is working great for me.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Demyx

I can get up to 2MB/s sometimes, but with all the sales on steam it can drop considerably sometimes.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

my usual speed is 1.2MB/s I plan on getting a fair few games tomorrow, might as well do one at a time.

Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Slippy

Usually i'm around 700-800kbps (same for all my downloads, except in Google Chrome when it hits 1MB at times). Right now, in the heat of the sales, it's hovering at a mere 150kbps.

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By FlipperDesert

230kb/s shared between two games for me, I typically can reach a megabyte per second.

Aaack Riddick is so close to finished!

SaucySala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By SaucySala
Yeah, I was having some trouble even getting steam to let me download Red Faction Guerilla. However, yesterday evening/today things could not be any smoother.
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I've been downloading a fair bit of stuff from Steam recently and while my download speeds have varied a fair bit they seem to be lower around the times more people are usually online. I've even had a few occasions lately where Steam has said the servers have been so busy they've not been able to process my download requests at all.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Diamond
@DOUBLESHOCK said:
I looked at the stats earlier today and there were like 2.2 million people online at that very moment...
Just so you know, that's not a atypical number.  It counts a lot of people (such as myself) that simply start up Steam and let it idle.  Basically not all of those people are downloading content.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By iam3green

i think it is the sales that steam is having. i usually always get 100ks when i download a game.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#20  Edited By wefwefasdf
@Diamond said:
" @DOUBLESHOCK said:
I looked at the stats earlier today and there were like 2.2 million people online at that very moment...
Just so you know, that's not a atypical number.  It counts a lot of people (such as myself) that simply start up Steam and let it idle.  Basically not all of those people are downloading content. "
Yeah, I have Steam on all the time because I leave my computer on 24/7.