Downloading and playing PS3 digital games on PS4.

SuperFusion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Alright, so I'm planning to take the plunge this holiday season to get myself a PS4. I want to trade in my PS3, but I have a few questions before hand. Now, I have a PS3 and I understand that my PS3 hard copies cannot be played on the PS4. I also have a bunch of PS1 games on my PS3.

My question is: Will I be able to digitally download PS3 games from the PS4 PSN Store? And will I be able to re-install all my PS1 games that I bought on my PSN account onto my PS4?

Thanks.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi

No because it's a PS4 not a PS3. Unless the game specifically says Crossbuy PS3 and PS4 then it will not work.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

Considering Sony is now offering a service to sell/rent you PS3 games on their streaming service, don't expect any support for PS3 games on the PS4 any time soon. Also the PS4 uses a completely different architecture compared to the PS3 (cell vs x86) so emulation would not be an easy thing. Any PS3 game that runs on the PS4 would have to be modified to work with the new architecture and that will likely require some work on the developer's part.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Their answer to backwards compatibility is the PS Now service.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do NOT, do NOT, trade-in your PS3. You will be sorry.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@htr10 said:

Do NOT, do NOT, trade-in your PS3. You will be sorry.

Definitely, how else will you play Yakuza 5 next year?

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, definitely keep your PS3 around. You'll regret it when you see something you're interested in go up on sale that's a PS3 game.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unless they're being emulated (PS2 classics for example) or being streamed (PS now) digital games still require the proper internal hardware to run. The PS4 does not include the hardware to play PS3 or PS1 games, so even digital games would not work on it.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

just another post telling you that no the PS4 won't play PS3 digital games. The PS4 doesn't have the hardware or software to emulate and play PS3 games. PS Now is sort of the only way to play a ps3 game on the ps4 but it uses internet streaming to feed you a video of you playing the game on their ps now servers, so unless you have amazing internet there will be some quality loss and latency with your input controls so it's definitely not a perfect solution.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kept my ps3 for media files and ps+ games, I advise holding on to the system of you still want to play ps3 games