• 81 results
#1 Edited by BoOzak (997 posts) -

Well, that just happend. Now i'm not against the idea of expanding the universe in non-game form but this seems a bit, odd... And definately not consistant with DAO or even DA2. Is this EA's attempt to appeal to the Japanese? Who knows. All this does is make me scared for the Mass Effect anime that's allegedly being done by the same studio, hopefully Casey Hudson's involvement will ensure it doesnt go this off the rails.

#2 Posted by TehFlan (1928 posts) -

I watched some of a Moby Dick anime the other day.

#3 Edited by babblinmule (1262 posts) -

As much as I try to like the dragon age games and various animes, I reeeeeeeeally do not like that art style.

#4 Posted by Brodehouse (10129 posts) -

Game enthusiasts doing what they do best: getting angry at anything for no reason.

I think we have the worst 'enthusiasts' in the world. Nobody who identifies as someone who likes games appears to like anything related to gaming. They hate everything about this industry, and yet here they are.

I guess I'm QQing but man, I'm just... I'm so sick of the overall attitude. It's just nothing like what I want it to be.

#5 Posted by themangalist (1747 posts) -

Another Dragon Age II thread with WTF in the title? WTF?

#6 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12110 posts) -

Yay. More pointless multimedia tie-ins for a franchise that doesn't need it!

#7 Posted by Irvandus (2881 posts) -

Really don't like the art style.

#8 Edited by Soren (274 posts) -

WITH MUSIC BY GACKT

Just give me my Dragon Age Pachinko machine already.

#9 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

This counts as an anime? I thought it had to be 2D and stuff.

#10 Posted by Ramone (2976 posts) -

That trailer had a lot of swords and blood and Japanese women screaming in it.

#11 Edited by JackSukeru (5964 posts) -

ONORE BRAD MADJI!

Weird stuff, not sure if awful. That GACKT guy though, does he just do whatever? He did a couple of Kamen Rider songs for the 10 year anniversary also.

#12 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4807 posts) -

As much as I love Japanese takes on American franchises (see Halo and X-men) and as much as I love anime in general, this just looks bad. The animation looks awkward the voice acting sounds atrocious. Not sure what EA or the animation studio were thinking with this project. But whatever, there's an easy solution to my problem...

I just won't watch it.

#13 Posted by WebScud (118 posts) -

Too bad it's not a Don Bluth project.

#14 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5154 posts) -

I don't like this.

#15 Posted by Ghostiet (5321 posts) -

That chick's screams are the fucking most annoying sound ever. I'm loving it.

#16 Edited by BoOzak (997 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

Game enthusiasts doing what they do best: getting angry at anything for no reason. I think we have the worst 'enthusiasts' in the world. Nobody who identifies as someone who likes games appears to like anything related to gaming. They hate everything about this industry, and yet here they are. I guess I'm QQing but man, I'm just... I'm so sick of the overall attitude. It's just nothing like what I want it to be.

I'm not angry, i'm confused. I think anyone who's attached to a certain franchise be it games, movies, comics etc. has a right to be a bit concearned when they see something they like be turned it on it's head like this. I'm honestly not too offended, it doesnt seem to be tied to the games in any way therefore it isnt going to effect "the canon" but I cant help but feel that this is a huge miss-step on EA's part and they would have been better off doing something that had some relevancy to the DA universe.

...And I personally would really love to see a series based on Mass Effect that took the law seriously. And if this is any indication, that's not going to happen.

#17 Posted by ick_bop (109 posts) -

@Video_Game_King:

CG's getting bigger in Japan with stuff like Appleseed, Vexille and the upcoming .hack movie. You can tell it's anime because of traditional stiff animation.

#18 Posted by Deleth (248 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

Game enthusiasts doing what they do best: getting angry at anything for no reason. I think we have the worst 'enthusiasts' in the world. Nobody who identifies as someone who likes games appears to like anything related to gaming. They hate everything about this industry, and yet here they are. I guess I'm QQing but man, I'm just... I'm so sick of the overall attitude. It's just nothing like what I want it to be.

And I am sick of you. Honestly after seeing how you constantly defend Bioware, Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3 in advance claiming they've got no fault at all and how all those people saying otherwise are wrong it's not really hard to make you out for what you are. A giant Bioware fanboy.

#19 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

@Irvandus said:

Really don't like the art style.

I agree.

#20 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

That art style is horrible. It looks like a really bad Catherine.

#21 Posted by mazik765 (2316 posts) -

@Deleth said:

@Brodehouse said:

And I am sick of you. Honestly after seeing how you constantly defend Bioware, Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3 in advance claiming they've got no fault at all and how all those people saying otherwise are wrong it's not really hard to make you out for what you are. A giant Bioware fanboy.

I liked how you proved his point in your attempt of trying to flame his point. Good job.

#22 Posted by Butano (1789 posts) -

Art style kinda reminds me of a mix of that Dragon Age Facebook game mixed with Skyward Sword.....kinda weird.

#23 Posted by Enigma777 (6058 posts) -

Um... That's not anime...

#24 Posted by VisariLoyalist (3000 posts) -

yelling in japanese!

#25 Posted by BoOzak (997 posts) -

@Enigma777 said:

Um... That's not anime...

Anime refers to any kind of Japanese animation, it doesnt have to be hand drawn and even when it is it often includes CG. (see ghost in the shell or ergo proxy)

@rebgav: I agree with you.

But I don't understand your problem with Casey Hudson, unless you're one of those Bioware elitists who think everything they've done post Baldurs Gate 2 is garbage because there arent enough dice rolls.

#26 Posted by Enigma777 (6058 posts) -
@BoOzak No it's not. It's why stuff like Advent Children is not considered anime.
#27 Posted by punkxblaze (2990 posts) -

A western property with primarily western fans turned into an anime dubbed in Japanese. This makes sense on every level.

#28 Posted by Vexxan (4613 posts) -

Sweet Jebus.

#29 Posted by Shady (503 posts) -

Wasn't Dragon Age 2 an anime already?

#30 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

Game enthusiasts doing what they do best: getting angry at anything for no reason.

No Balkan people are the best at that. In any case, don't like it? Don't watch it.

#31 Posted by endaround (2147 posts) -

EA decided to do a bunch of anime tie ins. Remember the Dante's Inferno anime?

#32 Posted by Nux (2421 posts) -

I guess that looks kinda ok, maybe. But I'm not likeing that art style.

#33 Edited by Dallas_Raines (2221 posts) -

@Enigma777:

Anime = Japanese Animation That's all that means, there's nothing else to it. Appleseed and .hack are not only mad Japanese, but also extremely animated...making them anime.

#34 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@rebgav said:

@endaround said:

Didn't they do two Dead Space cartoons too?

They did!

I watched one of them!

#35 Edited by Narx (176 posts) -

I'm a big fan of japanese animes...

BUT THAT ART STYLE IS SO NOT APPEALING!

And it's GACKT doing the main theme....FUUUUUUUUUUUU

#36 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@rebgav said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@rebgav said:

@endaround said:

Didn't they do two Dead Space cartoons too?

They did!

I watched one of them!

Why?!

Was it bad? It was bad, wasn't it?

It was pretty bad, though not offensively so!

#37 Posted by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

I would just like to say...DURAGON HUNTAH!

Oh man, this looks terrible, it reminds me of that incredibly bad Dead Space movie(The one with crappy CG parts.) They look similar. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmnzXWSYbns

#38 Posted by Marz (5671 posts) -

anime is CG?

#39 Posted by Herocide (440 posts) -
#40 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4882 posts) -

@Mrsignerman44 said:

I would just like to say...DURAGON HUNTAH!

Oh man, this looks terrible, it reminds me of that incredibly bad Dead Space movie(The one with crappy CG parts.) They look similar. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmnzXWSYbns

To be fair anything sounds terrible in Japanese. Especially the hodge-podge rape of English words. Man.

That said, meh. It's an anime that has no bearing on the games I enjoy. Whatever.

#41 Edited by mutha3 (4986 posts) -

@Herocide said:

CG looks like the same style used in Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn.

Only, like, 20x uglier in every conceivable way.

Path of Radiance had pretty ugly CG for a lot of parts anyway, but the CG in this anime is something else entirely.

#42 Posted by coakroach (2492 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

Bit of an overreaction.

Also that ladies war cry made me lose my shit laughing.

#43 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -

Looks terrible. Oh well. No matter how hard they may try to destroy this franchise for me they can never take away the first game and the first few novels.

#44 Posted by RE_Player1 (7526 posts) -

I don't like the art style but I'm a sucker for anime so I'll try it. I also love Dragon Age. Played Origins and read the first two books. I've been putting off 2 but I might play through it in 2012, hopefully it doesn't completely ruin the franchise for me and just leaves somewhat of a sour taste.

#45 Edited by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

@msavo said:

I don't like the art style but I'm a sucker for anime so I'll try it. I also love Dragon Age. Played Origins and read the first two books. I've been putting off 2 but I might play through it in 2012, hopefully it doesn't completely ruin the franchise for me and just leaves somewhat of a sour taste.

It's mainly trolls that like to over hype how bad something is even though it is still quite a good game. Hell, IMO, the story and the gameplay both are better in DA2 than in origins, but with the lack of eviroments and a cliffhanger, I guess that gives enough reason to people to be psychopathic about it. Kinda reminds me of FF13 hate in a lot of ways.

Also, to everyone, I did watch several of these type of EA things, here are my thoughts on the dead space ones.

The first dead space movie is basically a prequel movie involving the ishimura before... well, what happened on it. it was an alright movie, however it seems kinda noncanon due to how large the marker is in the animation compared to the game, and what kind of powers it has.

The second one, while it had HORRID CGI. had a better story to. Seriously, the CG is the only reason it is bad, if they just had a better animation for those scenes, I think the movie would've been way more well received. The story is about a group of people who found a shard of the red marker and what happens on board the ship. as told by each crewmate to a interregation officer. The story is much better than that of the first and is much more canon... just that it has really crappy CGI effects.

Thankfully, DA anime looks MUCH MUCH better than that movie.

#46 Posted by RE_Player1 (7526 posts) -

@Jay444111: I agree about your Dead Space comments. I have consumed everything Dead Space from both games, movies, the book and that iPad game. The only misstep EA has done with that series is, as you said, the horrible CGI and the somewhat inconsistency of that first movie. The games have been great and the book is genuinely interesting, I strongly suggest you read it if your interested in the series.

Also I cannot stress enough how horrible that CGI was. It looked like it fell out of the 90's.

#47 Posted by Kazona (3096 posts) -

I think I've just developed a twitch from hearing that woman scream every few seconds.

Oh, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it has something to do with Blood Mages. Could just be me though...

#48 Posted by Scratch (628 posts) -

@BoOzak said:

...the Mass Effect anime that's allegedly being done by the same studio...

Wait, wait, wait...there's ME anime in the works? WTF.

#49 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

it seems like a bad one. the art style isn't good.  girls screaming for some reason.

#50 Posted by Deleth (248 posts) -

@mazik765 said:

@Deleth said:

@Brodehouse said:

I liked how you proved his point in your attempt of trying to flame his point. Good job.

I liked how you pulled something out of your, you know where in an attempt to flame me. I can show you several posts of him in about every post against every Bioware thread he noticed. It's always the same pattern. Say people have no indea, flaming them for a bit and then flame some more. And btw, don't I remember you from the Dragon Age/Mass Effect forums, where you did the exact same thing?