Dragon Age Inquisition or the Witcher 3?

• 87 results
ds9143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Dragon Age Inquisition or the Witcher 3? (528 votes)

Dragon Age Inquisition 11%
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt 89%

Which do you like better?

• 
LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not even in the same league imho. Witcher 3 any day.

ds9143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lestephan: I agree 100%, I could not stand the combat in DAI, it was completely dreadful.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed DA:I but only because there really wasn't much else to play at the time. It suffered from exactly what everyone fears when games go "open world", that being a severe drop in quest design and just loads of filler content. So far TW3 has only has a few things where I'd say that's the case. I think there's too many repeated points of interest and monster contracts tend to boil down to the same patterns. But even then those negative aspects of TW3 are still 10x better than what the best things in DA:I to me.

I think other RPG developers have a very hard act to follow, one that I don't think will be caught up to any time soon.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@baronsamedi: CDPR has no competition besides themself. Do they go down the business line and follow Biowares quest for medioker moneycows or do they keep making awesome games?

So far they have suprised me positively with both Witcher 2 and 3 and the only games that come close to them are indystuff like Pillars of Eternity, Shadowun etc.

I really hope Witcher 3 can revive the rpg genre.

Still i wouldnt go so far as saying the worst of Witcher 3 is 10x better than the best in DA:I :)

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

I haven't even played The Witcher 3 and I voted for it. Screw DA:I.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

They both have their strong and low points. The Witcher 3 certainly has better writing from what I've seen, but just like The Witcher 2, there are some parts that just do nothing for the game at all. Weapon and armor degradation, for one - it's completely unnecessary. Weapons and armor degrade way too fast (so much so that the game has to warn you that they don't have much time left when they hit the 50% mark!) and it's just a pain to be forced to run back to town and spend hard-earned fantasy bucks on something that feels so arbitrary. Seriously, it's the one thing that's really hampered my experience with The Witcher 3 and I'm constantly on the lookout for a mod to just completely get rid of it.

Dragon Age Inquisition doesn't have a mark against it that low, not in my opinion, but it has a bunch of other little things wrong with it. Lots of filler quests, for one. The dialog and writing aren't as interesting to listen to, although the story itself goes for a more epic-feeling scale than The Witcher 3 does (so far, haven't beaten Witcher 3 yet). Combat can be fun but is, at other times, clunky or just plain dry (hold the attack button 'til it dies!)

So, really, I think both are worth playing but if you're only going to get one, I'd say The Witcher 3.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rethla:

Still i wouldnt go so far as saying the worst of Witcher 3 is 10x better than the best in DA:I :)

Well to be fair to DA:I (and unfair to I guess) I have absolutely no memory of what I did in that game other than run around a high fantasy world doing quests of no particular note to gain power so I could advance the main story. So the best parts of it are shrouded by the overwhelming majority of negatives.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really, really liked Dragon Age but Witcher 3 is a step above even the best parts of Inquisition.

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I actually really liked the combat in Dragon Age, but then I played Rogue, which has a counter mechanic, so maybe that's why. Also, normal attacks as a rogue make you feel like you're shanking some guy in a prison movie. Very impactful animations. My problem is quest structure. They don't do enough to make me give a shit about why I'm helping this lady find her lost heirloom or whatever.

Compared to the Witcher where I would probably do a simple herb fetch quest with a big smile on my face because they make it matter to the world/characters/ME.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Inquisition is not a good game. Only a few hours into Witcher 3 so it's hard to say, but it's great so far.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

I really, really liked Dragon Age but Witcher 3 is a step above even the best parts of Inquisition.

Wholeheartedly agree. Doesn't matter if you are talking world, story or combat Witcher's just better, Inquistion's still a very good game though.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Dragon Age fan here so I voted DA:I

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By mike

I've played all of the Dragon Age games and both previous Witcher games, but I'm only about 10 hours into Witcher 3 so far. At this point, Wild Hunt is blowing Inquisition away, and for me, Witcher 3 is a better game in every every sense of the term. It's that good.

Plus...dynamic beards with physics. That's GOTY status right there, folks.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rethla:

Well to be fair to DA:I (and unfair to I guess) I have absolutely no memory of what I did in that game other than run around a high fantasy world doing quests of no particular note to gain power so I could advance the main story. So the best parts of it are shrouded by the overwhelming majority of negatives.

I have the same memories of Inquisition. I think it's because a lot of the quests were largely made up of boring, repetitive, MMO-style fetch tasks that the game never did a great job in actually making me care about.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By RonGalaxy

Dragon age had a lot of filler. Every quest in the witcher has some sort of story hook to it, its actually insane how in depth they went. Plus, the characters and overall irreverent nature of the world makes it 100 times more interesting than the standard fantasy world of dragon age. Its attitude is almost akin to GTA, except it provides a much deeper experience.

Witcher 3 is the best game to come out this generation so far. Its gonna be talked about for awhile, while inquisition will end up as a footnote

Edit: also, I had no expectations for Gwent and was disaponted that there's no dice game like the previous 2, but if you were to ask me my 5 favorite parts of witcher 3, Gwent would be one of them after seeing how well made and fun it is. I would love to see it get turned into a mobile game.

joshth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly enjoyed inquisition quite a bit when it came out. I mean it was no Origins, but I didn't expect it to be. Witcher 3 is on a different level though, it's likely to take a top five spot in my favorite games of all time.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

...while inquisition will end up as a footnote

I think it more or less already is a footnote, and has been for some time. That game was alright and I did have fun with it, but Witcher 3 is on a whole different level.

schlorgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By schlorgan

I can't like both for different reasons? ;p

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@mb said:
@rongalaxy said:

I think it more or less already is a footnote, and has been for some time. That game was alright and I did have fun with it, but Witcher 3 is on a whole different level.

My fear is that this will be the trend for all future BioWare games. After the EA acquisition, it became clear that BW was being pushed to make games for as wide an audience as possible. So the tactical shooter Mass Effect became a... shooter. And Dragon Age became a strategy RPG where it really didn't want you to use much strategy.

When you design for the broadest audience, you make the most expected thing. A game that may satisfy at the time, but will soon be forgotten, and certainly not innovate at all.

Of course, that's not really BioWare or EA's fault. They've just painted themselves into the dumb corner where their AAA games can't financially support themselves, so they'll only take the safest risks. And their games sell well, so they're not motivated to break out of that downward spiral.

We're just fortunate to have some Polish weirdos that can innovate, and provide that AAA experience at the same time.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Evilsbane

The Witcher 3 is one of the best games I have played in 2 years fucking no contest. Even with the broken quest its still not even a question.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DA:I's story never grabbed me and the side quests made me think I was playing an MMO. Witcher 3 made me realize how weak side missions have been in almost all open-world games. DA:I looks like poop in comparison

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I think they're both flawed, but ultimately great games that I like for very different reasons. Luckily we don't have to choose!

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Witcher...I guess? It does pretty much everything better than Inquisition, but I don't think Inquisition was even a remotely bad game. In fact, it was my second favorite game to come out last year.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mike

Witcher...I guess? It does pretty much everything better than Inquisition, but I don't think Inquisition was even a remotely bad game. In fact, it was my second favorite game to come out last year.

Calling Wild Hunt better than Inquisition doesn't mean Inquisition was a "bad game."

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having beaten Dragon Age: Inquisition (play time of 70 hours I believe), and having played nearly 40 hours of The Witcher 3, I'll have to say that The Witcher 3 is LEAGUES better.

It's ALL because of the quests.

Dragon Age: Inquisition's side quests are very MMO-like, to the point where some of them were literally killing monsters to collect their liver and shit like that. The side quests in Dragon Age: Inquisition were just dreadfully boring and really pulled the game down after a while, with the exception of the companion quests. The Witcher 3 on the other hand somehow manages to make a majority of its side quests interesting - I go out of my way to find more quests and explore the world - it's not out a sense of obligation like it was in Dragon Age, but because I genuinely enjoy it and want to do more in this world. It's AMAZING how much difference this brings to the table.

The main quest is also significantly different in both games. In Dragon Age: Inquisition, you just do about ten or so missions set aside from the world in their own little instances. These missions are great, and usually have cool set pieces, but there are so few of them and they're so far apart that you'll likely just start to get bored before you make it to the next one. The Witcher 3's main quest is MASSIVE. Like, there are SO many fucking steps, and it all takes place in the open world you're doing side quests in. To make it even more amazing, the writing is freaking incredible. The Bloody Baron quest is a particular highlight for me just because it's so incredibly well written, I'm not being hyperbolic at all, it's seriously that good. All of the characters have a huge amount of depth to them, and aren't paper cutouts at all. They feel like real people who make real mistakes and are genuinely trying to make things right, it's just so damn good.

So yeah, Witcher 3 is far better in this department.

Avatar image for maskedlovewarrior
maskedlovewarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DA:I wasn't a bad game. I never completed it, but I probably put at least 12 hours into it, and maybe I'll get around to completing it some day. I have almost no interest in the story and I was pretty much just skipping through things to try to complete the next bit. The Witcher 3 is really something else though. I don't think there is any competition.

I really didn't like Witcher 2 and never played the first one, but man... Witcher 3 is a hell of a thing. I was pleased with how I felt like I understood basically what was going on without having to go back and read about the previous games.

cosi83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

haven't played either, but Witcher 3 right, RIGHT

Avatar image for militantfreudian
militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb said:

@rongalaxy said:

I doubt that. DA:I was critically acclaimed. It reviewed well and received numerous accolades and awards. In ten years, if someone who hadn't played the game was to look up a list of the best games of 2014, chances are, DA:I will be in the top 3.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#31  Edited By RonGalaxy

@militantfreudian said:

@mb said:

@rongalaxy said:

I doubt that. DA:I was critically acclaimed. It reviewed well and received numerous accolades and awards. In ten years, if someone who hadn't played the game was to look up a list of the best games of 2014, chances are, DA:I will be in the top 3.

Except 2014 wasnt that great of a year for games, at least not for AAA games. Inquisition was good for what it was, but I don't see anyone getting all nostalgic for it in 5-10 years. Also, the majority of game critics tend to overscore games, as compared to other mediums. So scores don't mean anything, at least to me.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I know why you would put them in the same category, buuuut. I don't think these games are even in the same league.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragon age is a pretty good game, but man Witcher 3 really is a step above and really does rank with the best of the best.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb said:

@rongalaxy said:

Being 'critically acclaimed' isn't exactly a high bar these days. Winning accolades in 2014 was an even lower bar.

Nobody will care about Inquisition in 5 years, let alone 10 years. Games which rely so heavily on soulless, MMO-trash content do not live long in the memory. Remember that side-quest where you had to close the portal and that other side-quest where you had to close the portal? No, me either.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimbo: @rongalaxy: I was splitting hairs, I suppose. I don't know if people who've played it will think fondly of the game in ten years, but, at least for the uninitiated, Inquisition can easily appear as one of the best games of last year, even if it wasn't.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can only assume this was joke thread. Witcher 3 is by far the better game.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

People are acting incredibly incredulous in this thread as if Inquisition was some Big Riggs quality product. It was a solid RPG that had it's up and downs but there was a lot more good going for it than bad.

I'm enjoying Witcher 3 but lets be honest here, the combat is nothing to really write home about. Some parts are over-written and some of the UI choices are just plain bad.

They both have their issues and they're very different games but I'm continuously blown away at how poorly people talk of Inquisition.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like Inquisition as my game of the year list from last year shows. But Witcher 3 is still better.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Somehow, I feel like comparing these two is like comparing Final Fantasy to The Legend of Zelda. That may be a weird way of looking at it but that is just me.

Why not enjoy both if you have both?

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Inquisition had a better cast of supporting characters (it's tough to beat Iron Bull), but absolutely everything else about Witcher III is dramatically better. Inquisition had incredibly dull sidequesting and super flat, uninteresting combat. I think the writing of the main quest stuff and dialogue in Inquisition was really well done, but the writing in Witcher III is even better.

Witcher III is easily my GOTY pick so far this year. I'm having a hard time seeing anything else already announced for this year beating it.

ds9143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought I liked Dragon age inquisition at first, but as the game wore on the mmo style combat and questing became intolerable.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#43  Edited By Tom_omb

I'm hearing hyperbolic praise for the Witcher 3 and the opposite for DA:I. I'm still early in the Witcher. I'm trying to temper that praise and set aside my bias that I couldn't get into the last Witcher game.

I think the major reason I like DA:I more is because I felt ownership of my character. I created my Inquisitor, chose her class, her friends, her abilities, etc. In the Witcher I'm just being told a story. I understand that by defining Geralt as a character allows for a better crafted story in some ways, but I like Bioware's method better for the games medium. In DA the Inquisitor is a character I am defining by playing. In the Witcher I am borrowing someone else's character for a little while.

As for the combat, the Witcher has yet to impress me. There's much more variety in DA's combat and you can switch characters to try another class if you get bored. The Witcher just seems very vanilla: quick attack, heavy attack, parry, superficial magic blast with long cool down....

As for quests I'm having trouble finding them in the Witcher. I'm level 3 and have a level 33 quest for some reason, but nothing for my level. The question marks on the map are mostly just treasure.

I'm going to keep playing The Witcher, but I'm just skeptical of all the praise it's receiving.

Strathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The more I played of Inquisition the less I liked it. The more I play of the Wild Hunt the more I love it.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:
@iceman228433 said:

People are acting incredibly incredulous in this thread as if Inquisition was some Big Riggs quality product. It was a solid RPG that had it's up and downs but there was a lot more good going for it than bad.

Nonsense. Of course DA:I isn't Big Riggs bad. I would rank it as such:

1. Blackwater
  2. Dragon Age: Inquisition
  3. Big Riggs
Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@humanity said:
@iceman228433 said:

Nonsense. Of course DA:I isn't Big Riggs bad. I would rank it as such:

1. Blackwater
  2. Dragon Age: Inquisition
  3. Big Riggs

Yah those levels of hyperbole.

M3cha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're both good games for different reasons.

Dragon Age: Inquisition plays like a party-based MMO. You control 4 characters, one of your own creation, in MMO-style cooldown combat. Think hotbars and hotkeys.

Witcher: Wild Hunt plays like a character RPG. You control a single character and concern yourself with small-scale engagements, using an active combat system.

If you want something that'll last you close to 100 hours, both will suit your tastes. Honestly, I find it a little hard to compare the two because they're so different. So far, I'm enjoying Witcher 3 more than Dragon Age: Inquisition. I put down Jaws of Hakkon so I could put all my attention into the new Witcher game.

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just hit the 30 hour mark on Witcher 3. That was the point I was starting to get bored with Dragon Age : Inquisition. With Witcher 3, I still can't get enough of it. Don't get me wrong, Dragon Age Inquisition is a pretty good game but Witcher 3 is leaps and bounds better. This isn't even a contest.

Also, Witcher 3 has DYNAMIC BEARD TECH. You can't beat that.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I loved the first DA and enjoyed all of them generally but it's not even close.

Game to game and franchise to franchise it's The Witcher hands down.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So far Dragon Age. But I am only 3 hours into Witcher 3 so I almost expect it to change soon. If not, I might just be more into the high fantasy stuff rather than the more gritty and dark fantasy worlds.