#1 Posted by banishedsoul1 (294 posts) -

Today one of the most cutting edge consoles of all time came out. It will later be remember to be the last failed console of sega. What are you're memories of this system!

09/09/99!!

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I played a Ready 2 Rumble demo and an NES emulator on it, and that's about it.

#3 Posted by harinosho (604 posts) -

Not owning one... bad bad memory that keeps resurfacing

#4 Posted by csl316 (9523 posts) -

Crazy Taxi and Typing of the Dead were all that was needed to justify the DC.

#5 Posted by thedj93 (1237 posts) -

ay bruh that commercial is pretty weird

rip dreamcast

#6 Posted by Jams (2966 posts) -

It was the first console I paid for with my own money that I earned at my first job that released close to my birthday. It was a pretty special occasion for me when it came out. I actually liked it a lot and didn't know how bad it was doing for the years that I had it.

#7 Posted by AjayRaz (12477 posts) -

i remember playing Mortal Kombat Gold on a Dreamcast. the whole 'insert coin to continue' screen always terrified me

#8 Posted by JCTango (1366 posts) -

Somehow it feels like it should be a lot older than that!

I never got the chance to buy a dreamcast :( Almost bought a 2nd hand one, but backed away from the deal.

#9 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

God that's weird, that's too weird. 13 year olds are fuckin' teenagers. People born when the Dreamcast came out are like experimenting with weed and stealing from their parents' liquor cabinet. Even in my early twenties that makes me feel old.

#10 Posted by DoctorDanger99 (687 posts) -

thanks alot asshole.now i feel alot older than i should. i still vividly remember sitting in math class in the 8th grade thumbing through the latest issue of EGM and getting psyched for the new dreamcast. dammit im old.

#11 Edited by That1BlackGuy (216 posts) -

Happy 13th Birthday to one of my favorite consoles of all time, lots of memories with it and great games that I'll never forget. The DC did so much in it's short run but they went out with a bang. #9-99-99

#12 Posted by BionicRadd (616 posts) -

Power Stone 1 and 2, Jet Set Radio, Crazy Taxi, Ready 2 Rumble, Soul Calibur, Rush 2049 and THPS 2 are my favorite memories of my Dreamcast. It was a system that should have had a longer shelf life than it did.

#13 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Fantastic console. It absolutely trounced the N64 and PS1 in graphical fidelity and had some brilliant games to back it up, shame the marketing was so terrible.

#14 Edited by kgb0515 (405 posts) -

I loved my Dreamcast. Shenmue was one experience that really blew me away at the time. I just remember wondering how they could have squeezed so much into one game. I still haven't played anything since that allowed you to explore an environment so exhaustively. Then my system developed a problem where it would only read discs if the lid was open and you had to rig the switch that popped the top open with a paperclip so it would spin the CDs. It died shortly after that, and I couldn't bring myself to replace it. R.I.P. Dreamcast.

#15 Posted by HarlechQuinn (451 posts) -

Still my favourite console with an awesome line up when Sega was at the height of their game. It is still in my living room and attached to the TV (besides the Saturn, the only pre-PS3/360 era console which is still in regular use)... Really a shame that it "died" so early...

#16 Posted by Alexandru (301 posts) -

I always find it weird when people celebrate the birthdays of the dead ones.

#17 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

Ah memories...

#18 Posted by Itwastuesday (986 posts) -

The DC came out when I was 7 and I liked the first Sonic Adventure game and I'm sorry.

#19 Posted by thegoldencat7 (1501 posts) -

Never had one at the time. Bought one a few years ago but kinda blew it up recently by plugging in a broken controller.

#20 Edited by kindone (2843 posts) -

I don't have many memories other than playing "Power Stone" 1 and 2 at a friends house back when the console was relevant. Great game! I own a used console now and it's sitting on my shelf in the basement. I may break it out today in honor of it's birthday and give a couple of a games a whirl. I can't say a game of Hydro Thunder is a waste of time. Ever.

EDIT: Completely forgot the Dreamcast was my first Gauntlet Legends experience. God I remember the countless hours I spent with my friends leveling up and grinding the hell out of the world bosses. The secret areas and treasure's were brutal in that game. I never played Jet Set on the DC, but I did play the Xbox rendition and loved it. I'm trying to remember what else I may have played. I never liked the original Sonic Adventures once you passed the first paradise level. The feeling I had back when I was a kid of the speed and epic-ness of the whale chasing me was un-paralleled. Now it's just a bad-game to me.

Oh, and Chu-Chu Rocket. The first Puzzle game on a console I poured hours into with my family.

#21 Posted by AndrewB (7691 posts) -

I own one. I've never played it.

I get that the Dreamcast totally has good games on it, but most of them are fighting games and/or just not for me. Maybe some day, Shenmue. Maybe some day...

#22 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@AndrewB:

What about that Ever17 whatever stuff? Wasn't something like that released for the Dreamcast?

#23 Posted by AndrewB (7691 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: Only in Japan. PC release was the only commercially available English translation.

#24 Posted by MattyFTM (14434 posts) -

Obligitory "Here is Jeff Gerstmann 13 years ago" post:

#25 Edited by RazielCuts (2987 posts) -

@MattyFTM: God dammit :P

#26 Posted by ArcLyte (893 posts) -

so many sweet capcom fighters on the dreamcast.

#27 Posted by SmilingPig (1341 posts) -

*shrug*

#28 Posted by chilibean_3 (1698 posts) -

Like most people, I never had one.

#29 Posted by HatKing (6125 posts) -
#30 Posted by captain_clayman (3328 posts) -

Fell in love with the dreamcast again recently. Had one as a small child but sold it, and recently bought a new one and a bunch of games. so many fantastic games, and there's a lot of games that were good on ps1/n64 that are far superior on dreamcast (tony hawk, spider-man, soul reaver).

Also, the best way to give the dreamcast new life is to buy the VGA adapter for it. It looks goddamn amazing, and makes it infinitely better to play on an HDTV

#31 Posted by Shady (503 posts) -

Time to celebrate by playing PSO.