Dreamcast worth picking up?

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Barrock

I never purchased a Dreamcast so I've had very little experience with its library of games. Would it be worth picking up a used Dreamcast to experience the games? Do they hold up over time? Or should I wait and see if they release the titles to Xbox Live or PSN?

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Pazy

I would say so, you can get a Dreamcast fairly cheap (The last I checked on Ebay in the UK it was £40 which is the price of a new game) and some of the games hold up really well. Some of them dont hold up just as well, as the Dreamcast Quick Looks would tell you, but theres enough really fun games to be worth it. Sadly though the online dosent really work anymore, even if you get the broadband adaptor (since I assume you dont have dial up) theres apparently only 3 games that work on it anymore and they are not really played.

Basically id say if you can get it cheap its easily worth it :)

EDIT: Oh I forgot that you can still play PSO online with a fair amount of players. If you get the broadband adaptor (or use the normal dial up if can) you can changed a couple of the settings and connect to a private server (which is essentially legal since when Sega Japan closed their server they gave them the data for it) which has a bunch of people playing and all the content supported on Dreamcast (and more if you download the free Blue Burst PC Client).

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Barrock

Hmm, well if I do get one what would be the essentials? Skies of Arcadia, Sonic 1&2, Power Stone 1&2, and Marvel Vs. Capcom are definitely on my mind.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FunExplosions
@Barrock: Toy Commander and Fur Fighters are alright. Stay away from games like Crazy Taxi. They didn't age well. But yeah, Powerstone is a must-buy, especially if you like some amazing local multiplayer.
asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By asurastrike
@Barrock said:

" Hmm, well if I do get one what would be the essentials? Skies of Arcadia, Sonic 1&2, Power Stone 1&2, and Marvel Vs. Capcom are definitely on my mind. "

http://www.metacritic.com/games/drm/scores/
Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Pazy

Although some dreamcast games are going to be quite dear (like Ikaruga I think, though the XBL version might have brought it down) id suggest looking into Shenmue (since its a relativly unuiqe experience), Chu Chu Rocket (especially if you can get friends together and multiple gamepads), Rez, Jet Set Radio and Metropolis Street Racer (Read: Project Gotham Racing 0.5). Oh and Phantasy Star Online, though it was better at launch (more players online and the first of its kind on consoles really) its still a really fun game and worth experiencing since its referance so often especially since if you get a Broadband Adaptor you can still play it online for free :)

Most of the games we both brought up are the games that feature in Top 10's, sadly I cant think of any game outside it just now.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Pazy
@FunExplosions said:
" Stay away from games like Crazy Taxi. They didn't age well. "
While I would agree it didnt age well I still think its a really fun game as long as you dont expect to spend a long time with it. But I think its still fun for quick 5/10 minute blast's.
asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By asurastrike
@Pazy said:
" id suggest looking into Shenmue (since its a relativly unuiqe experience),"
I got Shenmue when it came out, that game is painfully boring.
Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Barrock

Are games like Grandia II and Skies of Arcadia better on the Dreamcast or PS2/Gamecube?

Also, how does the Dreamcast hold up? Are they pretty long lasting?

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

The Power Stone games and Street Fighter III: Third Strike (on PS2 but whatever).

ryoma122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By ryoma122

if you do get a dream cast get mitropolis street racer there is no point in getting the console if you dont
ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ArchScabby

no dude you don't need something to cast dreams for you.  Just go to sleep, and they will come.

leky1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13  Edited By leky1

nooo!no no no no no no no no no no  no no no no no no no no no no ....but that is only my opiniop aldo i do repeat :
nooo!no no no no no no no no no no  no no no no no no no no no no

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Systech

Yes!

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Pazy
@leky1 said:
"  nooo!no no no no no no no no no no  no no no no no no no no no no ....but that is only my opiniop aldo i do repeat : nooo!no no no no no no no no no no  no no no no no no no no no no "
Any particuler reason why?
veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By veektarius

Are you a collector?  If not, I don't think the Dreamcast is a necessity.  Sure, you might find the odd unique game in its library, but almost by definition, anything that was good enough to sell on the Dreamcast was ported, remade, or ripped off so that it would sell on other consoles.  If you are a collector, I don't see how your collection could be complete without one, but that still doesn't mean it's necessarily worth playing.  The controllers for the Dreamcast in particular were terrible.  In addition to the cord problem that's mentioned on the quick looks, the face buttons are very small and caused blisters with overuse.
Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Kou_Leifoh

Yes, go pick one up. 

There's also plenty of games on Amazon that are very cheap.