DS vs PSP

Avatar image for koolestkid1ndahood
KoolestKid1ndaHood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

which one should i get, A DS lite or a psp. I love MGS, so I may want MGS PO, but I just want a good portable gaming device which I can take on plane/bus rides,etc.

thordain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By thordain

The DS is good for those rides where you need something to do. I recommend getting a lite.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4  Edited By kush
Levio91 said:
"Neither have good games but i think the touch screen sucks so id say psp."
Have you played many games for either system? ...or any?
drsalvador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By drsalvador

Depends what games you like playing, If you like Mario and just plain fun games DS is the way to go, If you looking for a more mature gaming experience PSP is the one you want.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By brukaoru

MGS: PO is awesome, but it is hard to find. PO+ Is easy to find, but it doesn't have the single player game.

My advice would be to look at the list of PSP games and the list of DS games and see which one has more that you are interested in.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Axersia

Why'd ya wanna buy a DS Lite at this point? If you're gonna buy a DS now, just wait 3 more weeks and import the DSi from Japan.

As for whether you should get a DS or PSP... Just go with whichever has the most games you're interested in. If you like MGS, the PSP is probably more your thing.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8  Edited By KaosAngel

I say, get a PSP but for playing your own PSone games.   I often end up playing old PSone games I own (legally) on the train to work or whatever.  Plus if you have a PS3, you'll get more bang for your buck.

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Axersia said:
"Why'd ya wanna buy a DS Lite at this point? If you're gonna buy a DS now, just wait 3 more weeks and import the DSi from Japan.

As for whether you should get a DS or PSP... Just go with whichever has the most games you're interested in. If you like MGS, the PSP is probably more your thing."
DSi is going to be region locked, so if you want to import all your games from Japan,  and play them in Japanese, just to say you have a DSi, then feel free.
Avatar image for luckywanderdude
LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By LuckyWanderDude

DS has much better games.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Axersia
MasterOfPenguins_Zell said:
"Axersia said:
"Why'd ya wanna buy a DS Lite at this point? If you're gonna buy a DS now, just wait 3 more weeks and import the DSi from Japan.

As for whether you should get a DS or PSP... Just go with whichever has the most games you're interested in. If you like MGS, the PSP is probably more your thing."
DSi is going to be region locked, so if you want to import all your games from Japan,  and play them in Japanese, just to say you have a DSi, then feel free."
Yes, DSiWare, like all console download services, will be region-locked. Do we even know yet if DSi-specific games will come on carts? And if they do, I can't see anything interesting coming out of it (unless Face Training is your thing).
sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#12  Edited By sarahsdad

like others have said, checking out the games available for both systems is a good idea.

I own a psp and it's one of the best electronic things I've bought in years, but I also use it a lot for listening to podcasts and watching tv and movies that I get from dvd or download beyond the games I play.
I also have a hard time with the graphics for most of the DS games I've seen, but again, that's personal preference.
theshadow027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By theshadow027

I've owned both and I must say I like my PSP more. The DS is really fun but the games on the PSP are games like you would play on a PS2. If you're going for the PSP I'd advise waiting until the PSP 3000 comes out though.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Endogene
Axersia said:
"MasterOfPenguins_Zell said:
"Axersia said:

DSi is going to be region locked, so if you want to import all your games from Japan,  and play them in Japanese, just to say you have a DSi, then feel free."
Yes, DSiWare, like all console DLC services, will be region-locked. Do we even know yet if DSi-specific games will come on carts? And if they do, I can't see anything intersting coming out of it (unless Face Training is your thing)."
For now it looks like the DSI games are purely digital distribution and i dont really see why they would be released on cart except perhaps for marketing purposes.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By Willy105
Levio91 said:
"Neither have good games but i think the touch screen sucks so id say psp."
Wrong and wrong.
Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Axersia
Endogene said:
For now it looks like the DSI games are purely digital distribution and i dont really see why they would be released on cart except perhaps for marketing purposes."
Right, I thought so too. Nintendo has only stated DSi will be region-locked for DSi-specific games--which for now consist of only DSiWare games. I wouldn't be surprised if a few games give you to option to take a picture of your face as an added bonus for DSi owners, but I can't see a company turning their back on the DS' current 80 mil installbase and releasing a DS game on cartridge that only works on the DSi.
Knives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By Knives

I wouldn't say the DS has "better" games, but there is just so many solid titles with many more to come. The DS is easy to recommend.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jayge_

I recommend the PSP, both for its all-around functionality and very deep selection of more "console-resembling" games, compared to the DS's more bite-sized offerings.

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By KingBroly

You should ask yourself if you want a Portable Gaming System for trips and quick fixes of games or a Mini-Console that you won't take out of the house much because the battery life is a joke.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jayge_
KingBroly said:
"You should ask yourself if you want a Portable Gaming System for trips and quick fixes of games or a Mini-Console that you won't take out of the house much because the battery life is a joke."
6 and a half hours is a joke? If you're going to be playing something for longer than 6 hours per day, you're probably in a place with an outlet. Seriously.
LoZone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By LoZone

i dont think either have that great a game library although DS has better games,  i have a psp and if it did not play movies and music i doubt i would ever use it,  i have only played about 2 games on it,  Gow, Star Wars Renegade

GigersALIEN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By GigersALIEN
brukaoru said:
MGS: PO is awesome, but it is hard to find. PO+ Is easy to find, but it doesn't have the ... [more]

I hope you don't mean to say that MGS:PO+ doesn't have a single player mode because it does. Technically, PO+ is the direct sequel to PO, it's not an expansion pack. It's a stand alone game with an admittedly puny story, where you are sent off to find and recrute various soldiers in what seems like random missions. It's pretty fun.

Also anyone saying that there are no good games on the PSP or the DS certainly haven't played very many games to make that judgement. The PSP caters to all gamers and has a game in almost every genre. It's basically a console you can take anywhere and it also has unigue games not found anywhere else.

The poor battery life comments can be ignored as only a raging fanboy would utter such nonsense. Six hours and up is plenty of time for gaming on the go or at home.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By The_A_Drain
GigersALIEN said:
brukaoru said: MGS: PO is awesome, but it is hard to find. PO+ Is easy to find, but it doesn't ... [more]

Apparently an utter fanboy is using my PSP between charges then. Because if mine lasted 6 hours i'd be jumping for joy. It barely lasts 2 and a half.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jayge_
The_A_Drain said:
GigersALIEN said: brukaoru said: MGS: PO is awesome, but it is hard to find. PO+ Is easy to find, but ... [more]
Then you need to buy a new battery or something, because that baby is dying.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By The_A_Drain
Jayge_ said:
The_A_Drain said: GigersALIEN said: brukaoru said: MGS: PO is awesome, but it is hard to find. PO+ Is easy to ... [more]

Yeah everyone says that, but it's been that way since I bought the damned thing. Maybe it was faulty from the get go, but it's the 2000 model with the slim battery, and I pretty much only play games that use the unlocked CPU. So 2 - 3 hours isnt ridiculously off base.

I may buy a new batter anyway, just to see if it is faulty.
GigersALIEN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By GigersALIEN

If it's only lasting 2 and a half hours then your battery is old. Tell me, how old is your battery and do you let it run completely dead? These batteries don't last forever you know. And letting it go completely or near dead will significantly shorten the battery's life span.

Try this. Take your battery out of your PSP and let it sit for no less then 12 minutes. Time it. Then put your battery back in but do not turn the PSP on. Plug it into the charger and let it charge until the red light goes off. Then and only then will your battery have a real full charge. If your battery does not last around 6 hours playing games, then it needs to be replaced.

Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By Disgaeamad
The_A_Drain said:
Jayge_ said: The_A_Drain said: GigersALIEN said: brukaoru said: MGS: PO is awesome, but it is hard to find. PO+ Is ... [more]
The chances of it being faulty are high. The battery on my PSP lasted me a full 8 hour flight when I went on holiday last year.
BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By BigBoss1911

Holy thread revival.
The psp has better graphics,with more mature games and franchises from the ps2.The Ds i dont know much about.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By The_A_Drain
@GigersALIEN:

Like I said, don't tell me my battery is old. It's around 18 months at worst since purchase. Faulty sure, but it's not like i've had it for years and it's starting to die.

Ill take another look at it when I get a chance, I dont play my PSP too often and im about to move house next week, but ill set aside some time to have a look at it.
GigersALIEN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By GigersALIEN

18 months is a good amount of time to call a rechargeable battery old. You saying that you hardly used the PSP is another sign that the battery could be dying. A battery that's charged and then left to die all the way is going to change the maximum charge life.

The norm for a PSP battery in good working order is 6+ hours.

Get a new battery, take good care of it by not ignoring it and you will jump for joy.

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Lashe

If you're getting a PSP, get a Pandora Battery and enjoy the mod scene. From that aspect, I would say it is far superior to the DS.

However, if you're going by factory standard systems, the DS definitely.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By The_A_Drain
GigersALIEN said:
18 months is a good amount of time to call a rechargeable battery old. You saying that you hardly used ... [more]

Other points withstanding as I know i've neglected the battery, but 18 months is not old. My frickin GBA SP lithium battery still works a decent charge and i've had that since release, and it gets forgotten for years at a time.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jayge_
The_A_Drain said:
GigersALIEN said: 18 months is a good amount of time to call a rechargeable battery old. You saying that you ... [more]
Yeah as long as the battery has been used regularly (and not left dead for months straight) the battery should work fine. If you had 2-3 hours out of the box though, that's some defective shit. I get a bit under 6 hours using the UMD drive, and around 7 from the memory stick on medium brightness with the wi-fi turned off. You should try and get a replacement or something.
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#34  Edited By brukaoru
@GigersALIEN
What I mean to say is that PO+ doesn't have the same story-driven single-player campaign that PO has. I think many people were confused and thought that PO+ contained the same single-player mode that PO has and were disappointed to find out that it's different.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#35  Edited By AgentJ

This thread is unfortunate.

If you want a multimedia tool, get the PSP. The DS doesnt do music or internet browsing well.
However, the DS has by far the better game lineup for whatever you want to play (except maybe sports)