DuderVideo: Use HTML5 video on all WM sites (OBSELETE)

• 88 results
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By KaosAngel

Reminding people this works and is a godsend for people who hate Flash.

rufo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#52  Edited By rufo

Heh, thanks. I use it so often I tend to forget it's not the default. ;) 

You also reminded me to edit the post to mention H.264's pending removal from Chrome - as mentioned, I'll try to push an update out that will properly detect H.264 support and Do The Right Thing, but just in case there are any problems, just disable/uninstall the extension.  The Safari version will continue to be supported, though!

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By KaosAngel

Hah, thank you for bumping this.  I wanted to, but didn't want to be a dick.

ALL SUBSCRIBERS NEED TO USE THIS!  It makes all the videos into HTML5!

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By KaosAngel
@bitcloud: Yeah, it's on the site.  There's a thread about it on the Bug Report, they're going to fix it.
Magma_Pear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#58  Edited By Magma_Pear

I use IE9.

How do I get HTML5 video?

I hate flash and would love to be able to disabled it for this site.

rufo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By rufo
Yes, the error is on me to fix - it's been a crazy couple of weeks, and I do more watching from iPhone and on Boxee via RSS so it's been less apparent to me.

Look for an update soon, hopefully within the next 24 hours… (I'll see if I can't future-proof it a bit…)
D_Man_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By D_Man_Taylor
@rufo: I was told to contact you if the HTML5 video on the front isn't working. While I've noticed that you've recently posted on forums that your fairly busy, I was wondering when you will be updating DuderVideo to fix the problem. And if it won't be for a while, how do I uninstall or disable DuderVideo? Because now I have to open Safari to watch a quick look and that's pretty slow.

My specs: 
Mac OS X 10.6.7 
Chrome 12.0.742.68 

Thanks!
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By KaosAngel

He knows,   

I sent him a PM.  The new site update changed things up. 

For now, just download the mp4 files.

rufo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By rufo

Yes, and the new homepage/video stuff changed it even more… 

@KaosAngel, I apologize, I didn't actually get an e-mail when you PMed me! Not sure why…

The new site design broke it originally - I made a 0.4 version which was *almost* (and technically was for a few mnutes) released, but I pulled last-minute due to some issues with quests/stat tracking - and right after that, I got bogged down with work, so it's been still been sitting here, broken. :( 

In addition, the new homepage/video code broke even 0.4, so i'll need to be taking a look and fixing that. Luckily we have a long weekend and not much on my plate, so I *will* sit down and take a look. Seriously. If I don't have 0.4.1 out by end-of-day Monday, I will find a can of Surströmming and eat it on video. 

rufo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By rufo

All right everybody - at (far too long) last, DuderVideo 0.4.1 is now available! (No nasty Swedish fish for moi…)

Improvements include:  

• Proper functionality with all Whiskey Media sites as of May 29th, 2011
  • Improved error handling (not logged in? Not a member? Other problem? I'll try to let you know!)
  • Improved stats tracking (Whiskey will have the ability to track DuderVideo if they wish)
Obviously most people will want to update just so it'll work again, but the other stuff is good too. 

Installing for the first time:   

Just download the links at the bottom of the original post. For Safari, you'll need to run/open the downloaded file; Chrome will automatically prompt you to install, but if you have problems just drag the .crx file into any open Chrome window. After installing, reload any Whiskey video pages you may have open.

Updating Safari: 

To update Safari, head into your Safari's preferences (Safari menu on OS X, gear menu on the right in Windows), make your way over to the Extensions pane and click the "Install" button next to DuderVideo 0.4.1.
No Caption Provided

If you like, check the "Install Updates Automatically" button to automatically install future extension updates.  

Updating Chrome:  

Chrome will automatically update, but if you want to hurry it up a bit, just head to the extensions settings area… 

No Caption Provided
…flip down the Developer Mode controls…  
No Caption Provided
  …and click the Update Extensions Now button: 

No Caption Provided
That's it!  

As always, please let me know in a comment if you're having any problems or have any other comments. And, thanks for using it! May your fans stay cool and your browser stay Flash-free…

snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 14

#64  Edited By snide

For the record, we support this just like we do all third party apps people like to build around the site. Glad we have such a fun little dev community. As Rufo states in an earlier post, this will likely only be useful for a few more months. On our roadmap is to move fully into HTML5 before the end of the year. To do that we've first got to re-encode our back catalog into webm and spend some time figuring out a proper way to deliver ads in HTML5. For now though, this is a great way for subscribers using H.264 compliant browsers to view our views with more efficient performance.

Avatar image for eisforextinction
EisforExtinction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By EisforExtinction

This Duder has videos to watch.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Afroman269

Pretty awesome stuff. I noticed an issue though when you go fullscreen on a video on the homepage, the stuff on the homepage is on top of the video.

FunnerGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By FunnerGod
@Afroman269: @Afroman269 said:

Pretty awesome stuff. I noticed an issue though when you go fullscreen on a video on the homepage, the stuff on the homepage is on top of the video.

Yeah, I'm having the same issue in Chrome. I updated to the newest version of Chrome, but I'm still getting the same problem. Any ideas?

(Mac OSX Snow Leopard) 

Edit: Like so:

No Caption Provided
onlineatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#68  Edited By onlineatron

In window full screen is a bit of a bummer.

rufo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By rufo

Ack - sorry for the homepage problems in Chrome! I'm mostly a Safari man myself which actually full-screens and not just full-windows... It should (hopefully) be an easy fix in the CSS. I'll take a look first thing in the morning, I actually hit bed already and was surfing on my iPhone when I noticed Dave retweeted me and I had a small flurry of new comments ;)

If anyone else finds anything, drop a post and I'll take a look first thing tomorrow.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By PillClinton

whoa, awesome work! 

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Afroman269
@onlineatron: just put the browser in fullscreen. I toggle F11 when using Chrome. 

@rufo: Sweet, dude. Awesome thing you have going.
theodacourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#72  Edited By theodacourt

Hey duders. Is this HTML5 thing a streaming or progressive thing? I need progressive play for my shitty net connection. If this can do that then I'll be on this!

rufo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By rufo
@theodacourt: DuderVideo actually requires (and forces behind the scenes) progressive loading, though you can actually skip around ala streaming. It's the best of both worlds! GIve it a shot and let me know if you have any problems, it's easy to disable in your browser's Extension settings if you have any problems or you find Flash works better for you.

And thanks to everybody else for the kind words/retweets/etc!! I'm currently looking into the Chrome homepage bug (initially tricky due to the randomization of the homepage) and still hope to have an update later today.
theodacourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#74  Edited By theodacourt
@rufo: I've just used this for a few videos and I have to say, Amazing! I wish I had known about this when it was first posted. This thread should be stickied and Whiskey should pay you to implement this across all their sites. They'll have to do something like this in the future anyway. I'd love to make a donation to this work in any case.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By KaosAngel
@theodacourt: When rufo first made it, it was the best day of being a subscriber for me.  Dave said last year that the HTML5 site will be up before the end of 2011, so rufo's extension is a godsend until the official one hits subscribers later this year.  Seriously though, rufo needs a huge reward for what he did.  This is the best extension I have used in ages and I fucking hate Flash as I'm on OSX. 

rufo should get his own Quest set or another token for his work.
wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#76  Edited By wefwefasdf
@rufo: Thanks for the update, rufo! This is one of my favorite extensions.
VicRattlehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#77  Edited By VicRattlehead

this is pretty great... i salute you good sir

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#78  Edited By mrfluke

nice work duder! video is so damm smooth now

rufo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By rufo
@FunnerGod and @Afroman269 (as well as other Chrome users): DuderVideo 0.4.2 is out! 

0.4.2 fixes the Chrome homepage problems, as well as problems advancing through the home page videos I didn't notice the last time around. I updated the video.js HTML5 video control library I used also, and there are some nice tweaks they threw in there. 

However, there are two known issues with 0.4.2: 

• In Chrome 13 on my Mac, when coming back from full window mode, there's sometimes a black rectangle that extends from the video and covers some of the page content. This does not occur in Chrome 11 (the current stable version), and poking around using debugging tools currently leads me to believe this is a bug in the dev channel of Chrome. Since Chrome 13 is the dev channel (less stable than the beta versions), I decided this wasn't a blocker, but if it pops up in other places please let me know and I'll look into finding a workaround.
  • The seconds do not currently update while the video is hovered over. This is annoying the heck out of me and I considered not releasing 0.4.2 because of it, but I wanted to get the other fixes out there. Ideally I'll figure out why the video player update I performed broke this and release a 0.4.3 later this week. 
Even though Snider mentioned HTML5 video is coming later this year, I'd still like to improve on DuderVideo a bit…  I'd like to look into replacing video.js, and I think I may see an even cleaner way to hook DuderVideo into Whiskey sites - but that's for another day.

And as always, thanks so much for using it, as well as the kind words - they mean a lot! - and keep the feedback (good or bad) coming!
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Afroman269
@rufo: Looks like the homepage issue is cleaned up but I'm noticing that issue that you mentioned, the extended black rectangle when exiting fullscreen. I'm in the beta channel running Chrome 12.0.742.68 beta-m
rufo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By rufo
@Afroman269: Argh - I didn't test in Chrome 12/Mac, was hoping it was just a dev channel thing. I'll look into workarounds/fixes a bit later this week, but it might be a few days before I get back around to it (sorry!).
rufo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By rufo

Hey everybody!

Quick update - looks like there are some tweaks I need to make with DuderVideo's CSS for the new Video pages to prevent the shift right and support Embiggenation. I'll try and push something out within the next 24 hours to patch that up.

The Chrome 12 Big Black Box issue is still pending also; I haven't yet looked into it, but I have a few things I can try that may (or may not) help. As it would happen I'm about to in the middle of courting a pretty huge job and may not have the time, but I promise I will get to it whenever I can!

GiveUpNed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#84  Edited By GiveUpNed

Thanks for this. This is very, very cool. Hi from Reddit ;)

rufo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By rufo

Good news, everyone!

As of several minutes ago, Whiskey is rolling out official support for HTML5 video! It's currently functional on Giant Bomb and Screened, and I'm sure when the other sites get updated with the new video page they'll have it too.

So: while it's been fun, very shortly you won't be needing DuderVideo anymore. To that end, within a few hours I'll be updating DuderVideo to gracefully bow out if it detects official HTML5 on the page. Once all sites have been updated, I'll probably push out one final update to completely disable the extension, just to make sure it doesn't cause problems in the future.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#86  Edited By Skald

Dude, awesome.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By KaosAngel

Rufo, this shit no work anymore. Fix it.

Thank you as well.

Mother fucking Flash spiking my CPUs to 90% each.

EDIT: Ignore what I said, I went straight to your blog and not the forums...didn't see updated comments. My mistake. Good job Rufo, I'd fuck you if I was a chick...but alas, I am not.

rufo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By rufo

OK, everybody - DuderVideo 0.4.3 is out. This version gets out of the way if official HTML5 video is detected on the Whiskey site you're on, but will continue to add HTML 5 to the sites that don't support it. Once it's rolled out across the entire network, I'll post an update here and disable DuderVideo so there are no problems… and that'll be the end of that. :)

Thanks to everyone who posted here - complaint or compliment, the amount of feedback I received was unexpected and awesome, and shows a small part of why Whiskey Media has the best community around.

Second, thanks to the Engineers at Whiskey Media - for building the sites in the first place, for the tolerance toward my half-baked hacks of the site, and for actually baking official support in far sooner than I'd expected - fun as it was, I definitely don't mind not having to worry about code pushes breaking things anymore :).

Finally, a huge thanks to everyone at Whiskey, from the interns to the editors to the tech guys and up to the Toppest Men; the awesome content you put out is one reason I come back, but the welcoming and fostering attitude you have toward your community is why I dropped $50 without hesitation. Bravo, good sirs and madams.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#89  Edited By ZombiePie

Bravo fine sir. Your efforts are greatly appreciated. Here's to auld lang syne!

LeetBalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#90  Edited By LeetBalla

This addon is pretty useless now that Whiskey supports HTML5 video and it was buggy as hell. Sorry duder.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By KaosAngel

Rufo, thank you for being my primary benefit for subscribing. You have been a hero to everyone here who uses OSX and to all of our CPU Cores.

If there is any user who deserves a special trinket for work done for the community, it is you before everyone else.

R.I.P. DuderVideo, the greatest extension I have ever had on Chrome.

No Caption Provided