Dyack predicts end of console gaming, dubs cloud as grand poobah

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

http://gamescom.gamespot.com/story/6215385/dyack-predicts-end-of-the-golden-era-of-video-games

Nevermind the fact that they still need to produce two more Too Human games & apparently remake Cyber Empires (whatever that was).  I for one, don't plan on buying into the online gaming only/pay monthly fee bs as "the future".  I like the Used market & games being disposable.  

Let's face it, half or more than half the games that ever come out are complete shit. Only a few of them are ever worthy enough to spend hundreds of hours playing.  Do I need to pay the game developers every month because I like playing their awesome ass game??  That could get expensive.  Plus a giant, popular game, such as the likes of Halo, would probably tax the network giving a sub-par experience.  

I'd rather just get a console or the PC hardware myself, rather than be billed every month to play my games. That's just..stupid.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By demonbear

Can't blame him to say he thinks thats the future. It's the perfect solution for a game dev. You stop the piracy and you stop used game sells.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By penguindust

It's all part of his "one console" future.  One device that allows remote play of games via a subscription service or purchase and keep in the "cloud".

RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RipTheVeins

That would completely decimate the casual gamers bracket, his idea will (or should) never be embraced by anyone other than the developers themselves.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By MeierTheRed

Exactly, there are so many factors that benefit the developers. And this trend about talking smack about every thing that comes out of Dyaks mouth, is just lame. He might have run his mouth too much on his Too Human project, but all most every other person in the business has talked shit about something and not delivered, or it never came true. 

Peter Molyneux is another one who is a prime example of that, and out of just those two. I will rather listen when Dyak speak, then when Peter does.  

Btw, i don´t like the thought about having games in the cloud either.

EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By EdIsCool

Yeah I cant see offline gaming being a significant piece of gaming in 10 years.
It will go the same way as TV.Top quality content is paid.Bog standard will be free.
No triple A games will be made without a monthly subscription or ad supported.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Diamond

I think a lot of people who talk about cloud computing (which would end PC gaming as well as console gaming), talk too much about it while understanding little.  The whole situation is extremely complex.

You have to consider the whole economics issue on all ends (user, ISP, game developer/publisher, hardware makers), you have to consider the technology (limitations of the internet, bandwidth available / bandwidth costs to ISPs / bandwidth costs to cloud computing company / bandwidth costs to users), you have to consider the games technology itself (reaching the limits of currently understood technology, where graphics & physics are going to top out, the hardware manufacturers wanting to sell products to billions of customers instead of 1 or 2 cloud computing companies).  Finally you need to be able to predict the future.

Even if every games maker and publisher was 100% for a future of cloud computing, that's still far from making it a reality.

I think lots of people have gotten carried away with the concept of cloud computing without really measuring all aspects of the situation.

SniperMOUS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SniperMOUS
@EdIsCool said:
"No triple A games will be made without a monthly subscription or ad supported. "
Unfortunately, I'm going to have to agree with this...
EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By EdIsCool

Blizzard made far too many money hats for anything else to happen

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Dennis Dyack is a fuckin' retard who doesn't know how to make games on time, and when he does, he just ends up cannibalizing his own product by severely overhyping it when it is actually a mediocre piece of shit.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Diamond
@EdIsCool said:

" Yeah I cant see offline gaming being a significant piece of gaming in 10 years. It will go the same way as TV.Top quality content is paid.Bog standard will be free. No triple A games will be made without a monthly subscription or ad supported. "

@EdIsCool said:

" Blizzard made far too many money hats for anything else to happen "

Blizzard made money, but dozens of other MMOs have crashed and burned.  Making a game like that is seen as a major risk, and that won't change.

But this whole discussion isn't about online or offline games, this is about taking the part of your computer or console that actually renders the graphics, figures out the physics, and stores the game data away from you and putting it in a building miles away.  It's a business model that still has never even been tried.
TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By TheHBK

There is a reason netflix and online movies have not taken over.  Because right now, the bandwidth is not there for us.  At least not here in America.  Having the disc and being able to turn it on yourself means something still.  Which is why people still buy DVDs and are looking into blu ray as the only real way to watch HD content, there is no chance of quality changing there.  Maybe one day, everything will be in the cloud  but for me, it doesnt seem like something I want to be a part of.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By Video_Game_King

Yea, I prefer the simplicity of console gaming. Moving towards an online digital distribution thing would bring all gaming closer to the PC spectrum and all the flaws in there (using the first wave of buyers as guinea pigs, complex gameplay, etc.). I'm not calling PC gaming bad, I'm just saying that I like console gaming better. Besides, saying console gaming will die is just as stupid as saying PC gaming is dying or that arcades are dying (they're already dead, that's why it's stupid).

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PureRok

I don't Denis knows what he's talking about.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ryanwho

Awesome, captain crazy is talking again.
I know the old addage goes "you learn more from failure", but you still need a pretty big success in order to be taken seriously on something like this. Dennis probably thought the Wii was a fad, he's clueless on what makes a game successful.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jimbo

Just like when libraries made book shops redundant and Blockbuster spelled the end for movie sales!  Oh wait. 

People like choice, they like convenience and they definitely like owning shit.  The games industry will cater to their customers, not the other way around.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
@Jimbo said:
" Just like when libraries made book shops redundant and Blockbuster spelled the end for movie sales!  Oh wait.   People like choice, they like convenience and they definitely like owning shit.  The games industry will cater to their customers, not the other way around. "
It seems retarded to suggest that all of a sudden any game developer can charge us more to play a game via a monthly fee. This adds absolutely ZERO benefit for the end customer.  A game never goes to the USED bin for people that like to bargain bin shop, plus what piracy are they talking about?  I've never pirated a console game. How can you?  Even for PC games, I don't mind paying for them, they're reasonably priced.  If they aren't, well then I wait for the USED price.

My guess is that should we get forced into cloud computing, there will just be fewer players as nobody will want to spend the money.  Monthly fees as opposed to a one-time purchase has a psychological effect.  I think it'll just go belly up.  It would have to offer something that a console or PC game can't do & that is already been invented: it's called an MMO.  Really, isn't an MMO already gaming in the "cloud"?

@Everyones_A_Critic said:
"

Dennis Dyack is a fuckin' retard who doesn't know how to make games on time, and when he does, he just ends up cannibalizing his own product by severely overhyping it when it is actually a mediocre piece of shit.

"

You took the words right out of my mouth. LOL.
asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By asurastrike

I can't wait until the developer has a monopoly on the sales of their games and can charge what ever they feel like.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By toowalrus

I like being able to sell my games when I'm short on cash... so I hope that digital distribution becomes the alternative, not replacement to physical media.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not going to happen.

EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By EdIsCool

I dont like having to rely on physical media which fails.
I'll trade off the joy of owning stuff for security.Im very saddend that album art has died.Cover flow unless you have your ipod hooked up to a big screen tv dosent replace it.
Sadly nvidia will never allow cloud computng they make too much money from everyone having a GTX SUPER TUEBO THING