#1 Edited by christopherson329 (213 posts) -

Can someone please tell what exactly E Sports are and why I should care about them?

#2 Posted by Funkydupe (3311 posts) -

Its people playing video games. That's it. That is IT.

#3 Edited by christopherson329 (213 posts) -

That's it?

#4 Edited by CaLe (3959 posts) -
#5 Edited by Dalai (7017 posts) -

Basically competitive gaming, but with a dumber sounding name.

#6 Posted by christopherson329 (213 posts) -

@cale: I take that as an insult I am very much a game enthusiast its just that I play games for fun and the only time I watch people on the internet play video games is on here to see if i will like the game or just to have few good laughs

#7 Posted by CaLe (3959 posts) -

@christopherson329 said:

@cale: I take that as an insult I am very much a game enthusiast its just that I play games for fun and the only time I watch people on the internet play video games is on here to see if i will like the game or just to have few good laughs

Well it's not like it's a new thing. This stuff has been going on since the Quake days, over a decade ago. I dunno how you can never hear about any of it if you're on a site like Giant Bomb.

#8 Posted by christopherson329 (213 posts) -

@cale: I've heard of it I've just never paid any attention to it until recently

#9 Edited by csl316 (8428 posts) -

Video sports involving cyberathletes.

#10 Edited by CaLe (3959 posts) -

@christopherson329 said:

@cale: I've heard of it I've just never paid any attention to it until recently

Well it's pretty basic stuff, people who are really good at competitive multiplayer games play against other people who are also really good at said games. Some games are extremely popular, meaning they attract large audiences, which in turn attracts a lot of sponsorship opportunities. Small and big tournaments are held around the world all the time for varying levels of prize money. The bigger tournaments are usually commentated on an livestreamed. A popular way to make revenue is to charge money for the higher quality video stream.

You don't even have to understand anything about some of the games to appreciate the skill on display. I barely played Quake and still think this is pretty amazing.

#11 Edited by mrpandaman (864 posts) -

ESports is basically video games played by professional players who are also payed. Certain games like Starcraft (BW and SC2) and League of Legends are probably the most popular of the games that are played professionally. If you like these games and like to watch high level of play of these games, then esports are for you. E-sports is still in its building block stages so don't expect it any time soon to be broadcasted on TV, most organizations are focusing on having people watching online if they can't make live events and since online watching is becoming the new TV that's where the focus is.

You don't have to care like you don't have to care about watching other sports like football (both kinds) basketball, or baseball. It's just like that.

If you say esports is dumb and people shouldn't be payed to play, then that is exactly the same thing as saying people should not be payed to play other professional sports. It's all entertainment and ostensibly, people playing at the professional level are doing something most other people can't do. Anyone can play a video game and be good at it, and anyone can play another sport well and be good at that, but like on the podcast there's a plateau where some people can surpass and just be better than everyone else.

#12 Edited by BIGJEFFREY (4946 posts) -

This is E Sports (Halo 4)

In this scenario if some one no Scopes sniper everyone loses their shit.

#13 Posted by Funkydupe (3311 posts) -

ath·lete

[ath-leet] Show IPA

noun

a person trained or gifted in exercises or contests involving physical agility, stamina, or strength; a participant in a sport, exercise, or game requiring physical skill.

The individuals we are referring to are video gamers. Just like you and I. They are privileged to be able to play and compete for money in competitive tournaments. They are not athletes. They don't even have to be any good at what they do.

#14 Edited by christopherson329 (213 posts) -

@cale: Thank you for clearing that up

#15 Posted by Winternet (8014 posts) -

I've just been watching the 3rd most popular Dota 2 channel on twitch.tv, so ask me anything about e-sports.

#16 Posted by Funkydupe (3311 posts) -

I've just been watching the 3rd most popular Dota 2 channel on twitch.tv, so ask me anything about e-sports.

What is e-sports?

#17 Posted by Winternet (8014 posts) -

@winternet said:

What is e-sports?

No idea.

#18 Edited by DarthOrange (3858 posts) -

Is what the fighting gamers do considered an E-Sport or are they their own beast?

Evo is the only time I pay attention to people playing videogames because the matches are fun to look at.

#19 Edited by StarvingGamer (8146 posts) -

The individuals we are referring to are video gamers. Just like you and I. They are privileged to be able to play and compete for money in competitive tournaments. They are not athletes. They don't even have to be any good at what they do.

Because it's really easy to subsist on tournament winnings and sponsorship deals when you don't win, right?

Is what the fighting gamers do considered an E-Sport or are they their own beast?

Evo is the only time I pay attention to people playing videogames because the matches are fun to look at.

Yes and no. In terms of the base-level, denotative concept of playing video games competitively for tournament winnings, yes.

On the connotative, incorporated business sense, then no, hence all the pushback from the fighting game community (FGC). Groups like MLG and Gom are businesses first. They are run by businessmen who are primarily concerned with increasing profit-margins. It is true that this translates to larger prize-pools and increased production values, but also leads to a general sanitization of the scene to broaden mass-market appeal.

Unlike other games that found their multiplayer footing in a primarily online setting, the FGC was born in arcades where players were shoulder-to-shoulder, duking it out in front of a screaming crowd. This led to the growth of a tournament scene that was always by-the-players, for-the-players. There's a certain level of rowdiness/offensiveness that you can get up to when you're with a group of friends that you simply can't match when you're trying to pull in big, corporate sponsorship, and that's what the eSports movement seems to be threatening. Parts of the FGC feel like they're being invaded, having social values foisted upon them by an encroaching audience that they do not want or need. They're being asked to sacrifice the heart and soul of their community for megabucks, and in their eyes the trade off isn't worth it.

#20 Edited by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

@christopherson329 said:

Can someone please tell what exactly E Sports are and why I should care about them?

I suppose you would care about them if you were interested? Are you looking for an honest answer here, some kind of heartfelt "It is important for the future of mankind?" Or just gaming maybe?

Mostly its living with your parents, dropping out of college, and playing video games full time. Or a million permutations that run the gamut when people avoid a conventional career path in favor of trying an entertainment medium. My understanding is that most of the players make money through streaming on Twitch and collecting the ad cut, rather than the prize pools (always funny to hear about how 40k in prize money for a year is a great haul O.o).

#21 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5353 posts) -

@christopherson329: You absolutely should not care, as the evidence that the highest level advertised in most (not all, mind) E-Sports events is actually the highest level is limited at best. Most publicized level sure, but the highest is usually reserved for people that have actual jobs and were smart enough to realize life was important enough to pay attention to but are still good at games on the side when they have the time.

#22 Posted by JJOR64 (18954 posts) -

FGC for life.

#23 Posted by Bollard (5426 posts) -

ESPORTS

#24 Posted by MeganeAgain (123 posts) -
#25 Posted by groin (846 posts) -

Electric sports (eSports) is when cyberathletes compete in video games for oversized novelty cheques.

#26 Posted by jewunit (1056 posts) -

You saved me the trouble of mentioning it. I love Sabin Squarepants.

I watch far more fighting game streams than I do sports games on TV. I certainly respect the athleticism involved in basketball, hockey, or baseball, but I ultimately don't enjoy watching the games in their entirety. For fighting games, the matches are condensed down to a couple of minutes. You get to see a whole range of strategies, tricks, and skills in a very short span of time. You also don't get as bogged down by commercials and transitions from a TV program and you don't need a highlight reel to explain what has already happened. One guy beat another guy and you can go track down an individual match if you are interested in it.

I have not had the opportunity to watch as many streams this year, but I am looking forward to EVO. The combination of quality matches, commentary, and excitement is a potent cocktail.