• 76 results
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 106

#1  Edited By citizenkane

E3 2011 is right around the corner. Are you excited? Well, you should be. I know I am! As with E3 being the largest expo for the video game industry, naturally there will be many new games/devices/etc announced as well as already-known-yet-still-unreleased games will be shown off and discussed more. With this massive, delicious orgy of video game news, videos and demos, you may be thinking to yourself: What is the best and proper way to discuss all of this video game glory with my fellow Giant Bomb comrades in the forums and how do I go about doing that? Well don't worry my compadre, my fellow moderators and I will show you the way!

Press Conferences

As this week rolls along, you will start to see a set of distinct threads dedicated to each of the major press conferences for E3: EA, Konami, Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony and Ubisoft. These threads will open up a few hours before their respective conference begins. They will be pinned to the top of the forums and in each of their respective forums(which are the links aforementioned in this segment). These will be the official threads for each press conference and only about the press conferences themselves. That means that there will be no other threads talking about the press conferences nor will there be extensive discussion of individual games shown at the press conference. Just about the conference and things about the games that were shown at said conference. To put it simply, only general discussion of the press conferences themselves will be allowed.

Let us recap, with patent-pending bullet points:

• There will be an official discussion thread for each of the major press conferences: EA, Konami, Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony and Ubisoft.
  • These threads will be pinned to the top of all boards and to the boards of each company's respective page.
  • Only general discussion of the press conferences will be allows in these threads.

Now hold on there, champ. What about the games? Well, sir, lets us begin!

Individual Games

Let us all be honest will ourselves for just a second here. E3 is all about the games. That's what we are all here for, right? Tons and tons of glorious video games. So logically, we would want to talk about them...a lot. But wouldn't that make the forums a little messy? Well, thanks to Giant Bomb's awesome super duper Whiskey Media-designed Wiki system, we have a forum dedicated to each and every individual video game. Do these forums sound like the right places to post topics about and discuss these precious games? It should, because that is what we want you to do. They're there for a reason, after all. Can't wait to talk about Mass Effect 3? Discuss Shepard and all of his pals in this forum. Is Uncharted 3 more of your thing? Talk about Drake's latest adventure here. This way, General Discussion is not clogged up with every thread about video games and each game's specific page will receive the proper traffic that they deserve. Any thread dealing with a specific game that is not in that game's specific forum will be immediately moved and the thread creator will be sent a PM detailing his/her wrongdoing and the necessary steps to correct it. Continued misplacement of threads by a user will result in an official warning against them detailed in a PM sent to that user. To avoid running into these problems, you might be asking yourself some questions. Hopefully I will address them now.

How Do I Post a Topic in an Individual Game's Board?

Don't worry, my friend. I am about to show you how. Make sure to follow every step and in order!

Search for the individual game and click on the correct link:

Click on the Forums tab on the left hand side of the page:

The next step in the most important one:

Check If Topic Already Exists in the Forum:

We simply can't stress this enough. Check the forum to see if the topic you want to start/talk about already exists. If it does, simply continue the discussion in that thread. Do no create duplicate threads. Such threads will be immediately locked and PM sent to the user about the situation. Constant creation of duplicate threads by a user will be met with an additional PM with an official warning. Again, please check for already existing threads. However, if you find that there isn't already a thread dedicated to the topic you want to discuss, please continue on to the next step.

Click on the red Start New Topic button in the top right hand corner of the page:

And here you go!

That was pretty easy, right? However, there still might be an additional question that is equally as important.

What if There Isn't a Page for the Game Yet?

Like clockwork at every E3, there will be brand spanking new games announced and possibly shown for the first time ever. Therefore, it is very much likely that there is not already a page for it here on Giant Bomb. What do we do about this? Well it's a pretty safe bet that while you are thinking about this conundrum, somebody else has already gone ahead and created a page for the newly announced game and will likely appear instantly on the site (thanks to our great, hard working Wiki moderator team!). If the regular search method doesn't bring up anything, visit here to look for it manually. If it seems to not be there either, simply go ahead and submit your own request for a page for that game. If someone has already sent a submission before you or you simply missed the already existing game page during your search, you will receive a PM from a moderator rejecting your submission and giving you a link to the newly existing page for that game.

Now let us recap again, shall we?

• Any topics/discussions about individual games should be placed inside of their individual forums and NOT in General Discussion.
  • CHECK FOR ALREADY EXISTING THREADS ABOUT WHAT YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT
  • Topics not put in the correct place will be immediately moved and topic creator sent a message.
  • Constant continuation of above after PM will be met with an official warning.

Summary

We all love the fast paced, almost chaotic influx of news, videos, and games coming from E3 ever year. However, we don't want the choas to flow over to here in the Giant Bomb community. To keep this place organized and easy to navigate for everyone during E3 2011, we all need to make sure what we post and discuss in in the proper forums and threads. Make Giant Bomb the best place to be for E3 2011!

If you have any addition questions, don't hesitate to ask them here. Make sure to place you questions here and not in a PM so in case somebody else with the same question(s) can see the answers too.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By citizenkane

additional space if needed

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By KarlPilkington

I look forward to 20 threads being created after some game gets announced at E3. And the angry backlash that follows.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By KaosAngel

Someone post dozens of threads about the Wii 2 with each word they speak as a new "BREAKING NEWS" topic. 

For the love of god, do it.  Give the mods something to work for!

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By hockeymask27
@CitizenKane: Wow way to put  in the extra effort. To bad this will be ignored and you will have to point to it before every lock.Still great guide and keep up the work.
samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By samfo

were you really really bored when you wrote this?

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Dany
@KaosAngel said:
Someone post dozens of threads about the Wii 2 with each word they speak as a new "BREAKING NEWS" topic.  For the love of god, do it.  Give the mods something to work for!
I love when that happens. Especially when someone with 300 posts calls their thread OFFICIAL WII2 GRAPHICS DISCUSSION
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By citizenkane

@SamFo said:

were you really really bored when you wrote this?

Nope. Just wanting to cover all bases for everyone.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By citizenkane
@KaosAngel said:
Someone post dozens of threads about the Wii 2 with each word they speak as a new "BREAKING NEWS" topic.  For the love of god, do it.  Give the mods something to work for!

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By Claude

These are the times I'm glad I'm not a mod. Of course, I would become part of the problem and have to ban myself. Good luck Mods.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By EpicSteve

You really retard-proofed this. 

Good stuff. 

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By BraveToaster

Good job. Let's hope that everyone actually follows this.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#13  Edited By BeachThunder

Well written CK, you should be a mo -- oh, never mind :(

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By EvilTwin

You should just lock the entire forums up except for the press conference threads until they're over.  Lord it's going to be a mad house.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By iam3green

yep, i can't wait until there are a bunch of threads that people already know about. it's going to be a good E3.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By citizenkane

@EvilTwin: @iam3green: You may be surprised how civil things are from our perspective. We have all been happy surprised with each E3 we have been controlling. Things aren't as bad as we fear they be.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PillClinton

Was too much or just enough effort put into this? 

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By citizenkane

@100_Hertz said:

Was too much or just enough effort put into this?

I created one of these last year, so I already had the basic structure of the thread down. So just enough effort.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By JJOR64

I really hope people actually read this thing.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20  Edited By Yanngc33

Anybody know any good sites where I could watch the conferences live?

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@Yanngc33: GameTrailers should have it, they always have before and it's usually great quality.
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great thread, by the way.  I hope people actually read it and learn from it.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23  Edited By Yanngc33
@xobballox: thanks :)
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Yanngc33: Yep.
Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#25  Edited By Hizang

I'm waiting for the Wii Vitality Sensor forum to be flooded with new topics..
Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Lunar_Aura
@EvilTwin said:
You should just lock the entire forums up except for the press conference threads until they're over.  Lord it's going to be a mad house.
This pretty much.
Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By Cirdain

Giant Bomb before E3
Giant Bomb before E3

Giant Bomb the night before E3
 Giant Bomb the night before E3
flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#28  Edited By flaminghobo
@CitizenKane: Great guide for the newbies and reminder for us all. Nice work, Kane!
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Good to see some solid rules laid down here, I'm sure you mods will still have plenty of forum management to do over E3 though. Just a quick question, if I have a blog discussing a number of different games from E3 where would I post that?

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By citizenkane

@Gamer_152 said:

Good to see some solid rules laid down here, I'm sure you mods will still have plenty of forum management to do over E3 though. Just a quick question, if I have a blog discussing a number of different games from E3 where would I post that?

If you have a blog discussing a number of games at E3 and you want the people in the forums to see it, post it in the E3 2011 board or General Discussion.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#31  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

I'M SO HYPE! 

I'm going to steer away from creating any topics or game pages so that I can just chill out and watch it all go down.

StingingVelvet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32  Edited By StingingVelvet

Glad to know a lot of things will be going on with the site for E3 both officially and through user content.  Can't wait to get my some news and reaction from the fine GB community.  E3 is normally a lot more mellow for PC only gamers like myself, but I look forward to some great software announcements.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@BeachThunder said:
Well written CK, you should be a mo -- oh, never mind :(
hahaha +1
ethan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ethan

Now that's a tutorial!

adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By adziboy
@CitizenKane said:
@KaosAngel said:

That is the most perfect use of that picture I have ever seen.
NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By NickL

Good idea to post about all this info.
Hopefully it will at least minimize the inevitable many repeated threads there will be.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38  Edited By benpack

@EpicSteve said:

You really retard-proofed this. Good stuff.

From the stories I've heard, you'd be surprised about how much this will get messed up anyway.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@GlenTennis said:

@EpicSteve said:

You really retard-proofed this. Good stuff.

From the stories I've heard, you'd be surprised about how much this will get messed up anyway.

oooh the guys at Whiskey Media tell mythical stories of internet dumbery? do share !
fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By fattony12000
@CitizenKane said: 

Summary

We all love the face paced, 
I love face pace.
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By citizenkane

@Fattony12000: That's one strike against you, pal.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#42  Edited By monkeyking1969
@Claude said:
These are the times I'm glad I'm not a mod. Of course, I would become part of the problem and have to ban myself. Good luck Mods.

But just imagine the power of such mighy men.... 

"One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a forum; one makes the forum in order to establish the dictatorship."
  - George Orwell w/ some Monkey King embellishment 

I like the way these forums work, it is weird at first, but it has a clock-work logic that keeps this site neat once you understand the tools.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#43  Edited By toowalrus

/sigh I'll be working those days- I'll be avoiding the internet for a few days, then on my days off I'll. Download ecerything and absorb it all at once- it'll bo ok.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So... post shit randomly throughout the board?

You got it!

RafaelMei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By RafaelMei

Oh man, I feel so sorry for the Mods and Staff when E3 starts... All those threads, duplicate pages...

Good luck gentlemen, and remember, have Batman.

tropico89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By tropico89

Has the GB crew announced a schedule for live shows and stuff like that yet?  Hope they do a stream of them driving down like they did last year.
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Mod Six, standing by!

No Caption Provided
k9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#48  Edited By k9

Why not open the chat during the conferences? Even though GB is not going to stream any of them some (many) of us would enjoy discussing the conferences in a chat format as opposed to posting on message board.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx
@CitizenKane

Oh god I love you
nunami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points