• 66 results
#1 Edited by Baltimore (273 posts) -

Electronic Arts today announced that The Sims 4 will be coming to PC and Mac in 2014. EA said that additional info will be released later today.

So, excited? Depressed? Need to pee but locked in a room with no doors, windows or a bathroom? Discuss.

Official language below:

"The Sims franchise is fueled by the passion and creativity of its millions of fans around the world," reads EA's announcement. "Their continued devotion to the franchise ignites the fire of creativity of the team at The Sims Studio, driving them to continually improve and innovate on one of the world's most successful simulation game that has sold more than 150 million copies worldwide."

#2 Edited by Ben_H (3361 posts) -

After what happened with SimCity and the Sims 3, I cannot see this going well at all.

Those poor sims. They don't deserve this.

#3 Posted by Quarters (1706 posts) -

I'm intruiged. Here's hoping for some good next-gen versions.

#4 Posted by BeachThunder (11942 posts) -

I can't wait for the backlash on this game when it's released :o

#5 Posted by EXTomar (4736 posts) -

The Sims is a money maker. Hopefully they didn't forget lessons learned from Sims Online. Beyond that they need to announce what is new and different.

#6 Posted by jaycee13 (523 posts) -

Here's hoping there's no social networking, online only bullshit.

#7 Posted by RE_Player1 (7560 posts) -

Always online.

#8 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

Awesome! I liked The Sims 3 a lot so I'm excited to see what they do with the franchise now.

#9 Edited by Baltimore (273 posts) -

I texted this news to my wife, who has every Sims game and every expansion, and this was her reply: "I'm mildly interested, but not excited." Dear EA, this was the reaction of one of your die hard Sims fans. I think you have burned to many bridges with Maxis fans.

#10 Edited by NoobSauceG7 (1247 posts) -

Can't wait for it to be online only!

#11 Edited by JouselDelka (967 posts) -

@msavo said:

Always online.

@ben_h said:

#12 Posted by Humanity (9262 posts) -

I think the question on everyone's mind is: will it have cheetah speed?

#13 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

I refuse to get excited until I see how they handle the post release. I had the most fun with the old sims because it had a huge dedicated mod community that made a ton of great free content that I would spend hours looking through to download. Sims 3 was designed from the ground up to be as hard to mod for as possible to force people into buying DLC that only EA makes. If they do more of that then they can go fuck themselves. If they return to their roots and focus on modability then I'm all for it.

#14 Edited by Jimbo (9814 posts) -

If your internet goes down they all die :(

#15 Edited by probablytuna (3666 posts) -

Yeah, good luck with that.

#16 Edited by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

this is the most anticlimactic unveil I've seen... EA PR worst in business ?

#17 Posted by ConfusedOwl (942 posts) -

Didn't the Sim 3 have a shit ton of DLC and very little customization options unless you bought those DLCs?(I didn't play it so I wouldn't know for sure) If so I don't have much hope for this game, chances are it will be even worse and of course always be online.

#18 Posted by Animasta (14692 posts) -

if they make the sims look better and more customization (not mods necessarily, just more options) then I'm down.

#19 Edited by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6198 posts) -

I'm hoping they do away with all those microtransactions for additional outfits and housing items (har har) and reintroduce the ability to mod or create your own. And while I'm at it, I might as well wish for them to just mail me a million dollars and a box of doughnuts.

#20 Edited by joshwent (2207 posts) -

I texted this news to my wife, who has every Sims game and every expansion, and this was her reply: "I'm mildly interested, but not excited." Dear EA, this was the reaction of one of your die hard Sims fans. I think you have burned to many bridges with Maxis fans.

Funny, that was my reaction as well, and I consider my self... well... a pretty big Sims fan. The problem is that (to risk sounding like a broken fucking record) EA trying to squeeze as much cash out of everything stifles any really interesting and uniquely new potential. Since the first Sims game, there has been a frighteningly devoted mod community that's only become more awesome and unsettling since. This is a really exciting resource that in this online age could be tapped and integrated like LittleBigPlanet or even an economy where you benefit from creating content like Forza.

Unfortunately, they've set it up so that the expansions are more about objects than new gameplay, so they're forced to downplay community stuff to support their own business model. If The Sims 4 was presented as a game attached to a community of creators, so you could play as Batman and Robin raising 4 kids living in the brady bunch house working as pop stars, more people would give a shit than those who get really pumped about, "the H&M clothes pack! only $19.99!".

#21 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Always on and micro transactions up the ASS.

#22 Posted by Reisz (1497 posts) -

Not like this.

#23 Edited by Funkydupe (3320 posts) -

I want Sims 4, but in space, like a moon base or something. They could have professions related to planetside survival and perhaps go to other planets as well.

#24 Edited by Hailinel (24830 posts) -

If you aren't online, your Sims all suffocate to death.

#25 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@ben_h said:

After what happened with SimCity and the Sims 3, I cannot see this going well at all.

What's wrong with the Sims 3?

#26 Edited by Funkydupe (3320 posts) -

@animasta said:

if they make the sims look better and more customization (not mods necessarily, just more options) then I'm down.

I'm expecting it to look pretty much like it does now. They don't want to alienate millions of players by setting too steep system requirements that a new engine could bring. I'd like them to try something besides the cartoonish thing they have now but I just don't see it. It isn't "cute and innocent" when it looks realistic.

#27 Edited by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

As someone who's never cared about the Sim's games. I'd like to formally announce that I don't care about The Sims 4.

#28 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@baltimore said:

No, I think your wife just played enough of that already. Unless your wife was raging about always online in SimCity, which seems unlikely. 3 games with about a trillion expansions is enough to get one's fill of just about anything.

@animasta said:

I'm expecting it to look pretty much like it does now. They don't want to alienate millions of players by setting too steep system requirements that a new engine could bring. I'd like them to try something besides the cartoonish thing they have now but I just don't see it. It isn't "cute and innocent" when it looks realistic.

They need to focus on optimizing the engine they already have. Sims 3 is really poorly optimized, especially CPU-wise. I also think if it ends up getting pushed hard on consoles, which has to happen sooner or later, they could upgrade the engine and get away with it as a result.

#29 Edited by Funkydupe (3320 posts) -

Someone has to make a cooler more edgy version of The Sims. Just a scenario/setting change besides the modern world would be big. Like survive in a post-nuke world. Survive in a zombie apoc. Survive in a terminator/skynet scenario. Survive in a moon base. Build a new settlement on mars etc. All with sims-like qualities but with a bit more maturity; I'd play that stuff. The improve character skills stuff could be great if given more context than just 'get trained, get a job, get rich' like it is now.

#30 Edited by MikkaQ (10290 posts) -

Well Sims 3 was pretty bad I thought, so I hope they do a better job. I kinda doubt it. I mean Sims 3 had some cool ideas but they were pretty iffy on the actual execution of those ideas, and also it felt super easy to just power-play your sim into riches and fame and then give him a family later. The endgame once you did get super rich was just so boring. And the AI still needs work, I feel The Sims AI hasn't impressed me since the first game, but that was like 2000 and any AI was impressive.

#31 Edited by jaycee13 (523 posts) -

Someone has to make a cooler more edgy version of The Sims. Just a scenario/setting change besides the modern world would be big. Like survive in a post-nuke world. Survive in a zombie apoc. Survive in a terminator/skynet scenario. Survive in a moon base. Build a new settlement on mars etc. All with sims-like qualities but with a bit more maturity; I'd play that stuff. The improve character skills stuff could be great if given more context than just 'get trained, get a job, get rich' like it is now.

There seems to be a few indie games in development that are trying that type of thing, "Project Zomboid" springs to mind.

#32 Posted by Jams (2961 posts) -

STOP IT with all these good ideas. What do you think EA is? Some kind of innovative company with moneybags hanging from around their collective necks?

#33 Edited by jamesallenrazor (1 posts) -

YES, a new entry in everyones favourite murder simulator. seriously though personally i havent been interested in the sims francise since sims 2.

#34 Posted by gike987 (1755 posts) -

According to NeoGAF they have apparently confirmed that you will be able to play it offline. I have always liked the Sims, maybe EA will finally find a way to get me to install Origin.

"The Sims 4 celebrates the heart and soul of the Sims themselves, giving players a deeper connection with the most expressive, surprising and charming Sims ever in this single-player offline experience. The Sims 4 encourages players to personalize their world with new and intuitive tools while offering them the ability to effortlessly share their creativity with friends and fans."

#35 Posted by smcn (926 posts) -

I always get super into Sims games (legit, not "lol I trapped this guy in a room with no doors look how clever I am") for a few weeks after they come out. This will probably be no different.

#36 Posted by Jams (2961 posts) -

@smcn said:

I always get super into Sims games (legit, not "lol I trapped this guy in a room with no doors look how clever I am") for a few weeks after they come out. This will probably be no different.

I do the same. I thought they did a really good job with 2.The Sims 3 was a great idea but it ended up the same as the first 2 games. Hopefully EA can pull their heads out of their asses on this one and include all the important functions (like weather, animals etc) with the first game instead of trickling the same expansions out as the last two games but in a different order.

I don't think they'll be able to get away with it for a fourth time. They just can't.

#37 Edited by Mr_Skeleton (5144 posts) -

@ben_h said:

What was the problem with the Sims 3?

#38 Posted by Scrawnto (2450 posts) -

@smcn said:

Same here. I'd probably be burned out on the franchise if I'd tried to keep up with the endless procession of expansions, but I haven't. I think I'm willing to dip back in just to see the technical advancements they make.

#39 Posted by Kaidorin (34 posts) -

I believe they've almost got Sims 3 caught up to Sims 2 in expansions and gameplay, so obviously time for Sims 4.

Look forward to buying the Sims University expansion once more, yay!

#40 Posted by VoshiNova (1691 posts) -

I loved Sims 3, although the expansions weren't timed well in my opinion. I would love to see what they've done with the art style, as I don't believe Maxis were pursue photo-realism as natural progression.

Fingers crossed for decent hairstyles.

#41 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4208 posts) -

I sure hope they release a next-gen XBLA release, or something! That would be dope to fuck around with 4 gb of stuff! (Like a playground, drop-in stuff into an environment and see what it does.) Instead of paying $60..

#42 Posted by Baltimore (273 posts) -

While it's far to soon to really make any decisions about the game, I just don't trust EA and Maxis anymore. Even if it's does not require an always online connection who's to say they don't screw over gamers in some other way? I realize that they are a business but nickel-and-dimeing consumers is not a good long term business model.

#43 Posted by HaltIamReptar (2029 posts) -

I got sucked into the first Sims for an unhealthy amount of time. I got sucked into The Sims 2 for an unhealthy amount of time. I played The Sims 3 for a few hours and hated all the changes. Count me not interested.

#44 Posted by Dalai (7030 posts) -

I guess it's time for another Sims game, but the series doesn't suck me in like it used to. It's not the game, but it's the monetary investment. The game is basically a money vacuum.

#45 Edited by Hunter5024 (5686 posts) -

Cool Beans. I really love the series and I feel like they've made meaningful improvements to all of them so far. If they go further down the path of personality customization then I will be more then a little excited.

#46 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2030 posts) -

@ben_h said:

Shoot! Now I'm really worried The Sims 4 will end up being always online DRM and a very shoddily networked disaster somewhere between the latest SimCity and The Sims Online.

#47 Posted by EuanDewar (4929 posts) -

I dunno it could be alright you guys are kind of a big downer

#48 Edited by Nictel (2412 posts) -

You have a single house with sims which you control with friends!

#49 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4208 posts) -

"For The Sims 4 we took a look at the history of the series and we pinpointed what we believe is the core of the experience," a Maxis representative said during the call, which was recorded and transcribed by TheSimSupply. "So we're listening to fans like you, and we're going back to our roots, the Sims, themselves. We felt it was important to unlock new ways for your Sims to interact with one another. So we're focusing on the complexity of Sim-to-Sim interactions and the way your Sims behave."

Polygon: The Sims 4 announced, coming to PC and Mac in 2014

#50 Edited by JouselDelka (967 posts) -

Now instead of removing the pool ladder to kill your sim, all you have to do is unplug your router