• 150 results
#151 Edited by antime (103 posts) -

The Wii U would have made a lot more sense if it had been released one or two years earlier. That would have let developers get up to speed on the new hardware and get in on the last wave of big multiplatform releases which would have helped grow the user base and thus ensure future developer support.

For a developer to put serious effort into the Wii U now basically means skipping the PS4/Nextbox, or at least having to play some serious technological catch-up once they do switch, and I don't see any big developer willingly putting themselves into that situation. So the end result is the usual Nintendo third-pary support: third-string developers and shovelware.

#152 Edited by THRICE_604 (210 posts) -

I don't see this guy getting fired. He isn't saying offensive or incendiary remarks so much as an underlying opinion a lot of people have shared that Nintendo faithful isn't willing to admit it. Just look at how many here have refuted its less powerful than 360 with no basis to go on despite every Wii U version of a game thus far has been inferior on a technical level. Just a lot of "I don't think it is but what do I know" kind of remarks.

The problem is this is the first time we are hearing this opinion not from a journalist or some guy on a message board but this is from a guy within one of the biggest publishers that just got done saying they are not supporting the system. And at a subconscious level you may not be calling for his head but your first reaction being oh well he's definitely going to get fired obviously is in a weird way doing exactly that.

#153 Posted by jgf (383 posts) -

@thrice_604: A guy who tags himself as an EA employee in Twitter - which he does not need to do for a private account - says: "Wii U is crap" and "Origin is not important". This is offensive, it can harm sales of Wii U and PC titles. Harm EAs bad repuation even further and last but not least is bad for any business relation with Nintendo. Those guys are from japan, you know the kind of "face losing" people. They have a very different culture on how to criticise things.

It also sends out a message to other (more important) partners of EA, like Microsoft and Sony that EA does not have its people under control and they may babble potentially harmful things at any moment.

As I see it EA has to make a move even if the core message of the tweet is right. They would appear weak and not in control of their own people if they just let this slide.

Lessons leared: 1. To not include your employment status in any social media profile you want to use to tell your personal view on things related to work. 2. Don't be a dick on the internet - at least don't use your real name if you can't help it.

#154 Posted by OmegaPirate (5523 posts) -

In other obvious news. water is wet

#155 Posted by THRICE_604 (210 posts) -

@jgf: The only thing I see wrong with what he has said as far as EA is concerned is the Origin comment. Even that though is not fire worthy, he's not a PR spokesman. Most companies can't just fire you on the grounds you disagree with something they do. He may be reprimanded but businesses have a rigid structure to handle that. If anything at all he got EA's equivalent to being written up. Not a straight to pink slip, he wasn't attacking someone he said something thats definitely true just not public luckily in a calm as a matter of fact manner.

And as far as Nintendo is concerned EA as an entity choosing to not do business at any level on the Wii U is a million times worse to Nintendo than one random employee saying the hardware isn't good. And EA doesn't need to. They've got their marketing in bed with Sony and they have always been on weird terms with Microsoft since the original Xbox, all over them circumventing Xbox Live and running their own servers and log-ins. And hey look at Dreamcast, EA is not afraid to give the finger to an entire console and not look back.

#156 Edited by Subbeh (90 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@oscar__explosion: And who honestly expected Mass Effect 3 to sell on Wii U, anyway?

I totally forgot that port existed.

To be honest, I sometimes forget that the Wii U exists. Been gaming since the early 80s and never has a console interested me less.

#157 Edited by jgf (383 posts) -

@thrice_604 said:

@jgf: The only thing I see wrong with what he has said as far as EA is concerned is the Origin comment. Even that though is not fire worthy, he's not a PR spokesman. Most companies can't just fire you on the grounds you disagree with something they do. He may be reprimanded but businesses have a rigid structure to handle that. If anything at all he got EA's equivalent to being written up. Not a straight to pink slip, he wasn't attacking someone he said something thats definitely true just not public luckily in a calm as a matter of fact manner.

And as far as Nintendo is concerned EA as an entity choosing to not do business at any level on the Wii U is a million times worse to Nintendo than one random employee saying the hardware isn't good. And EA doesn't need to. They've got their marketing in bed with Sony and they have always been on weird terms with Microsoft since the original Xbox, all over them circumventing Xbox Live and running their own servers and log-ins. And hey look at Dreamcast, EA is not afraid to give the finger to an entire console and not look back.

I don't want him to be fired, but he made a public statement. If EA handles this incident fully internal, it appears to the public as if they did nothing at all. Thus silently approving the statement. So I think there will be a public reaction in some form, even if its only an apology and a clarification that he stated his personal views and not those of the company. On the other hand they may decide that any public reaction will only bring further unwanted attention to the statement. So in a way it depends how much his comment has blown up in the internet. As of now I don't see the same amount of shitstorm going on like in the "always on" incident. So maybe you're right - lets see.

Besides the public there is still Nintendo and Nintendo is not only the Wii U. They still have the largest console install base on the planet with the Wii and the 3DS is also going strong. So EA is concerned about its standing with Nintendo. Even if it would not hurt them much, it does not make sense from a business perspective. Nintendo is a potential business partner and not a competitor, even if they are not the most attractive partner out there right now, you still gain nothing from a poisoned relationship.