Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Keavy_Rain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's OK, I'll be sticking to my "I'm not buying anymore EA Games" statement.

After Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3, they lost all my business.

LornHg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can't make someone pay for a game and then make them pay more. Either go paid-title or go free-to-play!

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Jams

They're not backing off. It's the money making scheme that's hitting the game industry. I'm positive they'll push and push with more ridiculous required transactions up until the straw breaks the camels back. Then they'll back off a little bit for a while and wait. Then they'll go back to their stupid pricing schemes.

You know, like how gas prices have been going up. You push up the price 200%, back off to 150% for a while and go, "Hey prices aren't that bad after all, it's practically the same as it was when it was 100%!". Then start raising the prices at a slow increment until they greatly surpass the original 200%. Keep it at the price until people forget all about it then start the process all over again.

Then repeat.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

You charge what people will pay. If they'll pay more, you charge more. Period.

The problem with gas isn't that they're 'trickin us!' It's that you'll pay any price because we went and built modern society to require motor vehicles. So either move to the inner city or pay.

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, silly us, thinking that they meant all games. We so stoopid....

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'ma buy: Dragon Age 3, Battlefield 4, maybe any unannounced IP next year, a Madden at some point, a FIFA so I can play every once in a while. ~ 'Don't give a fuck!

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'ma buy: Dragon Age 3, Battlefield 4, maybe any unannounced IP next year, a Madden at some point, a FIFA so I can play every once in a while. ~ 'Don't give a fuck!

I'm going to steal three physical copies of each of those just to cancel you out :P

~ Restoring balance of fucks given.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

@blu3v3nom07 said:

I'm going to steal three physical copies of each of those just to cancel you out :P

~ Restoring balance of fucks given.

Cool! I'll see you in Battlefield! :D

Optix12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You charge what people will pay. If they'll pay more, you charge more. Period.

The problem with gas isn't that they're 'trickin us!' It's that you'll pay any price because we went and built modern society to require motor vehicles. So either move to the inner city or pay.

This exactly. Im really hoping Simcity doesnt sell much not because I hate EA (they do good stuff with battlefield 3) but because if it sells amazingly £35.00 will be the standard price for pc games (from £25.00) on release

MAGZine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MAGZine

Did you RTFA? Rajat said one thing, Blake misappropriated his words (read, not what was said originally), and then Blake issued a clarification.

It's like someone said. "I heard that store was having a fire-sale!," someone else saying "OMG THAT STORE WAS ON FIRE?" and then everyone reporting the latter, when the prior was stated. Classic case of awful games journalism.

All that Rajat said, for further clarification, is that the games are being built in a more unified way, to bring more services inhouse at EA, to reduce cost and make things easier. This goes hand-in-hand with EA's new single identity thing. By building their apps on this single identity model across ALL platforms (PC, XBOX, PS, Vita, 3DS, Mobile, whatever), not only do they do their single identity, but they can bind something like credit cards to an account, making microtransations easier on every platform, on every game, since the framework and payment method will already be in place.

That is all that it's saying.

Stop being ridiculous.

This is mostly a 'games journalism is shitty and not actually journalism' problem.

The next and much bigger piece is microtransactions within games. And so to the extent that, as Rajat said [he didn't], we're building into all of our games the ability to pay for things along the way, either to get to a higher level to buy a new character, to buy a truck, a gun, whatever it might be, and consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of the business. We've got to have a very strong back-end to make sure that we can operate a business like that. If you're doing microtransactions and you're processing credit cards for every one of those microtransactions, you'll get eaten alive.

~Blake Johnson, EA CFO

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

So far they've ruined 3 of my favorite series this generation (Mass Effect, Dead Space and Dragon Age) so fuck them. They're not getting my money until they stop shitting on their customers.

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Slaegar

Its a good thing EA makes shitty games or else it might be hard for me to not buy any of their shitty games.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Zirilius

Don't care about Microtransactions in the least. I'll buy them if they are cool and won't if they aren't. Still think EA pushes out quality games that I thoroughly enjoy and will continue to support those games as long as I am having fun with them still.

And god forbid a business that is in the market to make money try things to bring make money through other avenues.

squidraid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By squidraid

@magzine said:

Did you RTFA? Rajat said one thing, Blake misappropriated his words (read, not what was said originally), and then Blake issued a clarification.

It's like someone said. "I heard that store was having a fire-sale!," someone else saying "OMG THAT STORE WAS ON FIRE?" and then everyone reporting the latter, when the prior was stated. Classic case of awful games journalism.

All that Rajat said, for further clarification, is that the games are being built in a more unified way, to bring more services inhouse at EA, to reduce cost and make things easier. This goes hand-in-hand with EA's new single identity thing. By building their apps on this single identity model across ALL platforms (PC, XBOX, PS, Vita, 3DS, Mobile, whatever), not only do they do their single identity, but they can bind something like credit cards to an account, making microtransations easier on every platform, on every game, since the framework and payment method will already be in place.

That is all that it's saying.

Stop being ridiculous.

This is mostly a 'games journalism is shitty and not actually journalism' problem.

The next and much bigger piece is microtransactions within games. And so to the extent that, as Rajat said [he didn't], we're building into all of our games the ability to pay for things along the way, either to get to a higher level to buy a new character, to buy a truck, a gun, whatever it might be, and consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of the business. We've got to have a very strong back-end to make sure that we can operate a business like that. If you're doing microtransactions and you're processing credit cards for every one of those microtransactions, you'll get eaten alive.

~Blake Johnson, EA CFO

You're right. I should've done my homework better. Pretty enlightening to be reminded that reporters who will twist someone's words so completely are everywhere. And how many people will discover the truth of that one and actually understand it well enough to reverse the bad light that gave EA, I wonder?

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By Snail

Video game industry PR might just be one of the most interesting/funny ecosystems of corporate/social interaction in the world.

MAGZine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MAGZine

@squidraid: it's not your fault, we read things all of the time from places that have gained our trust and take what they say at face value. This was an easy blunder for the gaming industry to commit as Blake Johnson actually did say what people claimed that he did... but it was groundless, and people were taking it out of context. And context is so, so important... you can't remove context of something and expect it to mean the same thing.

People might read into it as much as I did for a company that they love, like Valve... but it's easy to hate on the boogeyman, so very few people will read. If your website published this story, you're either pandering to your audience, or you didn't fact-check your source. Or both.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hunter5024

Good. I bet they still intend to shoehorn them into games where they don't belong, but it's still nice to know that it's not some corporate mandate for every game.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Me too! Well not FIFA because I don't like soccer but still! People who think everyone else is overreacting unite!

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#22  Edited By DarthOrange

@triple07 said:

@blu3v3nom07 said:

Me too! Well not FIFA because I don't like soccer but still! People who think everyone else is overreacting unite!

The only one of those games I am buying is FIFA but I will still join you all in your group.

Avatar image for least100seraphs
least100seraphs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I don't get the hate on time-saving microtransactions. They're brilliant, because they give you options. You can use them and save time otherwise spent on boring sections of a game. You can not use them, and save money, because you haven't bought them. Or you can recognise that any game full of microtransactions is basically admitting that it has a lot of boring sections, and you can save time and money by not buying the game. You can then use that saved money to buy a different game, and that saved time can be spent enjoying the game that isn't full of boring bits.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

Ooh! And NBA Live! Respawns' thing. An XBLA game on Xbox Infiinity that actually turns out fucking good, for a cheap price. Dragon Age 3 DLC, and Mercenaries 3 at some point. ~ But that's it. :D ..... RAGE 2, DOOM 4, Portal 3, Half-Life 3. Not EA? I guess-maybe-probably so.