#1 Posted by saxmusician20 (135 posts) -

So I have recently starting watching soccer (yes, I called it that Brits) after going to London this past summer and watching the final parts of the Euro tourney. Before that trip, I liked soccer. After that trip and watching it in a pub (both the Leinster Arms and The Swan across from Hyde Park), I love soccer. I get it now. It really is "The Beautiful Game," and there is much more to it then I had ever imagined. You have to be a machine to run that much and pull off some of the timing for those kicks and passes. Which brings me to the present day. I pre-ordered FIFA 2013 after finding out last year's game was very good. This will be a two part question here folks:

1. Was it a good idea to pre-order FIFA? (I do not have a soccer game as of now.)

2. Should I have ordered the PES 2013 instead?

This final question is optional in response:

I am new to soccer video games. Any tips?

#2 Posted by DarthOrange (3852 posts) -

There isn't really a reason to pre-order it but yes FIFA is the better of the two soccer games. If you have never played a soccer game before be prepared to get your ass kicked. I just play them for fun at a friends house, last one I personally bought was 08. Like fighting games, they are most fun when playing locally with someone at your skill level. Also, congrats on finally joining the rest of the world in the love of the beautiful game.

#3 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

I don't think there is a reason to preorder. But Fifa is the better game. It's really fun. I'm not getting Fifa 13 this year but I will most likely get Fifa 14

#4 Posted by Lumley (945 posts) -

FIFA is a hell of a lot better than PES. Also, this years FIFA is looking really damn good.

They've implemented plenty of new features for beginners this time round so just spend your time playing the new 'skill-games' and work your way through the difficulties.

#5 Posted by RazielCuts (2942 posts) -
#6 Posted by FLStyle (4599 posts) -

PES was better than FIFA throughout the PS2 era. FIFA is now the superior series in the PS3 era, don't bother with PES.

Also:

I jest, I jest

#7 Posted by saxmusician20 (135 posts) -

@FLStyle said:

PES was better than FIFA throughout the PS2 era. FIFA is now the superior series in the PS3 era, don't bother with PES.

Also:

I jest, I jest

I think "handegg" would be much more entertaining if it really was an egg. Wait, that's probably been done on some random Japanese game show.

Anyways, these are great comments and I feel better about getting Fifa now.

#8 Posted by VaddixBell (230 posts) -

Congrats in joining the rest of the world and loving football, any teams you support?

FIFA is without doubt the best of the football games in the market now. It took massive strides in recent years to became the best football game and every year it's improved in meaningful ways. So, go for FIFA 13. There really is no reason in preordering unless you're going to delve into some of the Ultimate Team stuff, but if you're not, don't bother.

In terms of tips, use the 1-2 ball (which is done by holding LB while passing) then the lob through ball (LB +Y) and it will help you a lot. It will help break down a lot of defenses in a lot of games. Other than that, just play it, experiment and have fun.

#9 Posted by FLStyle (4599 posts) -

@saxmusician20: Yeah, the FIFA of old was all official licences with all the real names but gameplay that was unrealistic, running with the ball was done in such a way that it seemed as if it was stuck to the player. PES on the other hand couldn't afford the licences of the real team names and players but had gameplay that was an incredible simulation of a real match.

But that all changed when FIFA started incorporating realistic gameplay too, on top of all the flashiness and licences. Meanwhile PES is having a hard time trying to compete with FIFA's yearly development cycle and release, releasing unfinished products that damaged their reputation.

Konami just can't compete with EA it seems.

#10 Posted by Sterling (2089 posts) -

You are all crazy. PES is the better game. The game play of PES 12 was miles ahead of FIFA 12.

#11 Posted by AndyMc1888 (93 posts) -

oulzac coming from the uk and football being my sport I follow religiously that is utter garbage, Fifa is miles ahead of pes just now although fifa 12 is no where near the best fifa in last few years few improvements but new tackling system and impact engine a bit buggy. PES6 on the ps2 is still the best footballing game ever, how konami have screwed it this much I still dont understand

#12 Posted by saxmusician20 (135 posts) -

@VaddixBell said:

Congrats in joining the rest of the world and loving football, any teams you support?

FIFA is without doubt the best of the football games in the market now. It took massive strides in recent years to became the best football game and every year it's improved in meaningful ways. So, go for FIFA 13. There really is no reason in preordering unless you're going to delve into some of the Ultimate Team stuff, but if you're not, don't bother.

In terms of tips, use the 1-2 ball (which is done by holding LB while passing) then the lob through ball (LB +Y) and it will help you a lot. It will help break down a lot of defenses in a lot of games. Other than that, just play it, experiment and have fun.

I support Chelsea. I picked them about 3 years ago, so I don't feel like I was jumping on a bandwagon. I haven't got out of the Premiere League yet. Any other leagues I should follow?

#13 Edited by ManU_Fan10ne (662 posts) -

@saxmusician20 said:

@VaddixBell said:

I support Chelsea. I picked them about 3 years ago, so I don't feel like I was jumping on a bandwagon. I haven't got out of the Premiere League yet. Any other leagues I should follow?

The Premier League is where it's at, and that's mainly all I watch (whenever I have time to), The only thing outside of the EPL that I watch is El Clasico (Barca vs. Madrid), because in truth, La Liga is basically 4-5 good teams, and the rest are not so good teams.

Edit: Since you mentioned Chelsea, I once had a dream (possibly a nightmare?) where Chelsea destroyed Manchester United, and my brother would not shut up about it........It was weird.

#14 Posted by alexl86 (620 posts) -

@ManU_Fan10ne: The disparity between the teams in Premier League is so huge, it's hardly worth watching. You already know now, at the start of the season that the team that wins comes from Manchester, the other team from Manchester will come in second, and Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Tottenham will fight to finish in the top 5. While Barcelona or Real Madrid will take first, and the other second, there's more competition among the other teams in La Liga.

#15 Posted by Balex1908 (143 posts) -

You should also watch the Champions League.

There is no reason to pre order, both games have demos out go play both and decide. Fifa was overall better in this generation but some people still prefer the faster PES.

#16 Posted by iGooner7 (136 posts) -

PS2 era PES > FIFA

This generation FIFA > PES

1- Yes, Very good idea.

2- Ofcourse no!

FIFA is giving us alot of new things with each new FIFA. PES? arent giving a damn change with every new PES

The game's engine is horrible! FIFA's is realistic and fun!

#17 Posted by markini6 (445 posts) -

After playing each game's demos I think I'm gonna pick up PES 2013 and hold off on FIFA till christmas. Have had a lot more fun playing PES' demo, perhaps I'm just a bit bored of FIFA after several years, loved 12, but PES 2013 is just straight up more fun to play, and the fact that I really like how good the players faces in it are. Also, in ultimate team I was basically winning 9/10 matches, so maybe the fact that I'm not as good as PES appeals.

By all means, FIFA is the best choice for your first one, it's a much more polished experience and with the exception of the tricks you can pull off, it's generally a bit less complex than PES so it's easier to get into.

Disclaimer: You will be rubbish at first, but it's easy to get better - play the AI on the easiest difficulty first, then move it up a difficulty when you start winning comfortably. Just keep doing that and you'll improve in no time.

#18 Posted by 9cupsoftea (652 posts) -

@alexl86: Last season was the first in a long time City where above Chelsea. Liverpool will probably struggle to finish in the top 6. Newcastle and Everton look good for breaking into the top 5 (certainly if Tottenham don't pick up form) and the title is certainly no given for either Manchester club, let alone one. It's a million times more competitive than Spain.

#19 Posted by SuperSambo (2854 posts) -

@alexl86 said:

@ManU_Fan10ne: The disparity between the teams in Premier League is so huge, it's hardly worth watching. You already know now, at the start of the season that the team that wins comes from Manchester, the other team from Manchester will come in second, and Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Tottenham will fight to finish in the top 5. While Barcelona or Real Madrid will take first, and the other second, there's more competition among the other teams in La Liga.

Sure, I'd bet a lot of money that the title will go back to Manchester (City, not United), but that is the only position i'd bet on.

And you're living in the past if you think Liverpool are a top 5 team.

#20 Posted by VaddixBell (230 posts) -

In terms of leagues to follow, the best is without doubt the Premier League. Most competitive without a doubt, this image pretty much sums it up