• 86 results
#1 Posted by tunaburn (1890 posts) -

I showed my girlfriend from dust and she really liked it. but then once it got to where she had to rush to not let the people die she didnt enjoy it anymore. are there any kind of games like this for xbox? ones where she doesnt have to rush and can take her time? preferably pretty games. she really loved how the vegetation grew and how pretty the whole scenery was.

#2 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2243 posts) -

Geometry wars 2

#3 Posted by BoG (5187 posts) -

It's not out right now, but this looks like a great girlfriend game:

My friend's girlfriend thought it looked adorable, and really wants to play.

#4 Posted by natedawg_kz (234 posts) -

Dark Souls!!!!!. Just joking, Viva Piñata is the only one i can think of

#5 Posted by sissylion (679 posts) -

Flower is a super pretty game and doesn't take much to play, so it's good for family members and romantic partners who aren't very good at games.

#6 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3855 posts) -

What about Braid? Does she like puzzle-y type games? Or Fez?

#7 Posted by McAwesome (53 posts) -

I'd recommend Superbrothers S&S EP, my wife had a great time playing that one. Not only good looking, but sounds great and is easy!

#8 Posted by Grimhild (723 posts) -

Alice: The Madness Returns.

I've turned many of my friends to the Dorkside with it, much to the delight of their boyfriends. It's a gorgeous, fun game and the mechanics are easy to pick up for someone that doesn't normally play video games.

#9 Posted by jayjonesjunior (1087 posts) -

are you limited to what platform?

#10 Posted by tunaburn (1890 posts) -

@McAwesome: ? what is S&S EP?

@sissylion: i thought of flower but thats not really a game is it?

@natedawg_kz: hmmm... viva pinata.... that might work.... ill have to show her a video of it and see if it interests her. Shes not a super girly girl when it comes to animals and shit though.

#11 Posted by tunaburn (1890 posts) -

@jayjonesjunior said:

are you limited to what platform?

i only have xbox and pc. but she doesnt like playing on the computer.

@Grimhild: is alice very difficult? it looks like something she would love if its not to hard. her favorite game is fable. but i think its cuz its so easy.

#12 Edited by Grimhild (723 posts) -

@tunaburn:

Not especially. The combat has a lock-on mechanic and the game does a good job of rationing out the skills you need at a controlled pace. If you miss a jump during the platforming sequences, you just teleport back to the start of the jump puzzle, as opposed to it just being "Game Over."

#13 Edited by JasonR86 (9657 posts) -

@tunaburn:

If you have a PS3 Journey is one of the best games of the year and looks great. For XBLA, Fez is a nice, good looking game that on the surface is pretty easy to get into.

EDIT:

She might like Dust: An Ellysian Tale as well if she can get into the fighting mechanics.

#14 Posted by pyromagnestir (4299 posts) -

... Limbo?

Maybe 2008 Prince of Persia?

#15 Posted by sissylion (679 posts) -

@tunaburn: It's a piece of media played with the use of a video game console in which you use a controller to directly affect the product. It's a video game.

#16 Posted by jayjonesjunior (1087 posts) -

that makes it difficult, what about Fez, Limbo and Bastion?

Girls like racing games... Portal is pretty too

#17 Posted by RipTheVeins (1546 posts) -

Castle Crashers is really approachable for "girlfriend gamers" since its style is really charming and they don't have to be a master to play it since if you're playing co-op you can take the grunt of the enemies or they can take on most of them if they find out they like the challenge.

#18 Edited by Jeust (10550 posts) -
  • Bastion
  • Alan Wake
  • Limbo
  • Angry Birds Trilogy
  • Braid
  • Fable 1, 2 and 3
  • Minecraft
#19 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver.

#20 Posted by Zippedbinders (984 posts) -

@tunaburn said:

I showed my girlfriend from dust and she really liked it. but then once it got to where she had to rush to not let the people die she didnt enjoy it anymore. are there any kind of games like this for xbox? ones where she doesnt have to rush and can take her time? preferably pretty games. she really loved how the vegetation grew and how pretty the whole scenery was.

Whoa wait, I thought you had to break up with your girlfriend? Wasn't there a thread a few months ago, or am I imagining things?

Its kind of difficult to make recommendations based on someone liking how vegetation grew. First thing that comes to mind is Okami, which is easy, but mechanically dense. Flower and Journey are both very pretty and have beautiful natural vistas with simple gameplay, but those are on PS3. de Blob 2 is pretty simple and is all about making things vibrant and pretty, but certain missions are time based. Enslaved and Lego Pirates of the Caribbean both have beautiful scenery and relatively forgiving gameplay. Beautiful Katamari is a bit of a long shot. If 2D hand painted stuff is alright, Braid, the Monkey Island remakes, possibly Bastion, and Rayman Origins are all worth trying.

#21 Posted by TwoLines (2803 posts) -

@tunaburn said:

@McAwesome: ? what is S&S EP?

@natedawg_kz: hmmm... viva pinata.... that might work.... ill have to show her a video of it and see if it interests her. Shes not a super girly girl when it comes to animals and shit though.

S&S EP Would be Sword and Sworcery, it's a Ipad/PC game with an awesome soundtrack. I think it has a GB Quick Look.

#22 Posted by Dagbiker (6970 posts) -

Viva Pinata, very low key, and still very deep. The first one was easier then the second one, because you didn't have to glitch the game to keep Professor Jerkface from crapping up your garden.

#23 Posted by Ghostiet (5250 posts) -

Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet might be cool.

#24 Edited by GunstarRed (5118 posts) -

ilomilio.

#25 Posted by big_jon (5723 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy said:

hahaha

I don't think those qualify as easy.

#26 Posted by Kerned (1170 posts) -

Try the 2D Worms games, they are fun, accessible and you can play them together. I got my wife a bit more interested in video games that way. Also, try Portal! It's a great game with terrific puzzles, and despite looking like an FPS, is actually pretty accessible to non-gamers.

#27 Posted by CosmicBatman (317 posts) -

FEZ and then Limbo for sure are my favourite games in terms of style.

#28 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3855 posts) -

@big_jon said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

hahaha

I don't think those qualify as easy.

Maybe not Braid, but Fez isn't that hard if you're just going for the initial stuff. And easy from a mechanics standpoint and easy from a brain teaser standpoint are two different things, she might not like something complicated to play but she might like having to figure out puzzles.

#29 Posted by big_jon (5723 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy: I'm so lost in Fez right now, I gave up.

#30 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

Child of Eden is not very changeling. It is also kinda incredible, visual and audio delight. Sadly it makes you replay levels multiple times. Still, I strongly recommend it.

Journey is another option although it's harder to control. Someone else mentioned Braid and that is a possible good choice as well.

#31 Posted by believer258 (11797 posts) -

How easy is Skyrim on easy? I'd imagine it's pretty easy, because the default difficulty isn't especially hard.

#32 Posted by BSw (252 posts) -

The only Xbox game my girlfriend really played through (up until the final boss, whom neither of us could beat at that time) was the XBLA version of Prince of Persia. Another one she played a lot for a couple of days when a friend of her was staying over was Burnout 3 (I still don't understand how that happened). We've recently started Rayman Origins together, and she quite enjoyed that, but I wouldn't let her play it alone since it's not that easy. Finally, I think the XBLA version of Lode Runner could work very well too.

I've done a similar search for girlfriend-friendly games, and they're really hard to find. I've bought The Fancy Pants Adventure for her, but she never really got into it. A game I personally like because it was easy and whimsy is Mini Ninjas. This could work as well, provided that she can handle 3D gameplay.

#33 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -
#34 Edited by Manhattan_Project (2140 posts) -

@GunstarRed said:

ilomilio.

This seems like a good choice since its co-op just make sure you guys don't end up pissed at each other.

Viva Pinata and Enslaved seem like good choices. Might have to set Enslaved to easy.

Edit: Don't try Portal unless she knows how to handle an FPS otherwise she will end up concentrating on the movement and overlooking all the little things that make Portal so damn special.

#35 Posted by Sploder (917 posts) -

Mario Galaxy 2. Actually the first is a way easier so go with that.

#36 Posted by RPGee (759 posts) -

My successes to date: Braid, Limbo, Pacman CE:DX to some extent, Super Meat Boy for looking cool and driving her insane.

My failures: Portal 2, due to motion sickness.

There's a bunch of them that have been mentioned which would work. I'd suggest indie games would work best, since they tend to work around an interesting mechanic instead of a whole bunch that could become too complex. thatgamecompany games would go down well, especially Journey.

#37 Posted by CosmicBatman (317 posts) -

@big_jon: Don't give up dude. How far are you?

#38 Posted by ripelivejam (3803 posts) -

i like how pretty much everything suggested are game-ass games lol

#39 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

@tunaburn said:

Flower is a game, it has mechanics and a ending, its a good choice.

#40 Posted by tunaburn (1890 posts) -

@Zippedbinders: yes that was my girlfriend. that was about 9 months ago. ive started seeing a new girl now. :) just a girlfriend but who knows in the future.

#41 Edited by tunaburn (1890 posts) -

@Hizang said:

@tunaburn said:

can you lose in flower? theres actually like a plot? i thought you just watch flowers bloom. ill have to research this.

edit: doesnt matter like i said, i only have xbox

im leaning towards viva pinata

#42 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -
@tunaburn

@Hizang said:

@tunaburn said:

can you lose in flower? theres actually like a plot? i thought you just watch flowers bloom. ill have to research this.

edit: doesnt matter like i said, i only have xbox

im leaning towards viva pinata

Watch the quick look, there is a plot in flower, it's very deep.
#43 Posted by Baillie (4080 posts) -

Holy shit, beatiful, not beautiful. I think the phrase you're looking for is 'easily beatable.'

#44 Posted by big_jon (5723 posts) -

@CosmicBatman said:

@big_jon: Don't give up dude. How far are you?

Not sure, I think a fair ways, I will get back to it, but with such slow progress I find myself taking long breaks from it.

#45 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

@tunaburn: Definitely show her Fez and Red Dead Redemption along with Viva Piñata. While the inherent gameplay of Viva Piñata is more obviously up her alley, those are two beautiful games with hours upon hours of fun and gorgeous scenery that have little to do with the more difficult aspects of those games.

On the same token, the Assassin's Creed games aren't that much harder than Fable, and Skyrim is obviously huge and pretty in many of the same ways Fable manages to be.

#46 Posted by leafhouse (133 posts) -

I don't understand the Braid recommendations! Yeah, its pretty, but it can be brutal.

I think Flower is your best bet, it doesn't sound like she will care about the 'is this a game?' debate,

#47 Posted by endaround (2142 posts) -

Trine and Trine 2

#48 Posted by Phatmac (5725 posts) -

Dear Esther is a beautiful game that only requires you to move around the environment. Only on PC.

#49 Posted by tunaburn (1890 posts) -

@Little_Socrates: im really wondering if assassins creed would work. its beautiful and fun and not that difficult

#50 Posted by byterunner (305 posts) -

I would suggest 2008 Prince of Persia, the combat is easy and the platforming (the meat of the game really) is very forgiving. The art style and look to the game is amazing.