Chemin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#51  Edited By Chemin

@TopSteer said:

@Zenaxzd: I have a 3DS and I'm definitely getting Bravely Default. I don't want only turn-based, the Tales series has some of my favorite combat in RPGs for example. It's just that turn-based is so rare these days and I prefer that to what most new RPGs are doing. I'm around 20 hours into Xenoblade Chronicles and I'm liking it but I'm not really enjoying the combat which is something I seem to be saying a lot lately.

Amen. Again. That's pretty much how I feel also, most of the time. I don't mind it when developers experiment with the battle system, I actually encourage it. Games like Resonance of Fate seems crazy, and is interesting because of it. But nowadays it seems developers are trying to up one another, and make the combat stick out a bit just for the sake of sticking out. And yes, from a marketing standpoint that makes sense, but often it just feels tacked on, and doesn't make for a better or more playable experience a lot of the time. That's why I often go back to older JRPGs from the SNES and PS1 eras. The simpleness of it is.. refreshing, in a twisted kind of way. I applaud developers trying to go back to the roots, just because they dare.

@Zenaxzd said:

@TopSteer: Unfortunately yeah, it is pretty rare nowadays but I think my biggest problem with it is that most of the time we get a "traditional" turn based game it feels like they didn't put much effort into it. Honestly the only truly turn based RPG combat (on consoles) I fell in love with this gen was Last Remnant. Really the only way I can get into that kind of combat any more is if it requires some actual thought and strategy. In Last Remnant that came from positioning bonuses (Flanking/Morale increasing damage, deadlock system, etc). Lost Odyssey did a pretty good job with it too even if I feel like it fell apart at the end and moved to slow with 5 party members (especially if 3 of them had double-cast).

On the flip side something like Persona 4 killed me. I absolutely loved the game but the combat bored me to tears with how little there was going on. I am not saying they shouldn't use it but I hope they put some thought into it outside of spamming attack over and over while occasionally healing.

But Last Remnant had such a bad scaling-system though. It was like playing the broken mess Oblivion all over again. Something that often kills the whole role-playing experience completely, for me. Also, Last Remnant had the longest fights known to man.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

We're only allowed to play games made on expensive tools, you guys. It's like music, the quality of the music is directly proportional to the cost of the instruments.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By ZenaxPure

@Chemin: This is slightly true, the scaling in Last Remnant isn't the best but I had pretty much no problems with it and I didn't even use a walkthrough for much of the game outside of sidequest locations/late game stat boosting. I actually enjoyed the longer fights (which I assume you're talking about some of the disc 2 stuff, one fight in particular) since I really had fun with the combat.

@TopSteer: Well, my main problem with Persona 4s combat (and this actually applies to FF13 for like 70% of the game since you mentioned it) is that it's not designed to force you to use any of the battle mechanics. All the way to the final boss of Persona 4 I did the same thing in combat over and over: Party attack buff, spam whatever attack (most of the time physical), heal when necessary. The only fight I ever died to the entire game was Kanji's shadow. Otherwise I used that strategy almost the entire way and it just bored me to be honest, there wasn't much thought actually required in fighting most of the enemies. I wish they would of forced you into using the element/knockdown system more and perhaps expanded on it a bit in some ways. It's a cool idea but the game never requires you to use it outside of a few encounters.

@Brodehouse: I tend to agree, it's silly to knock the game for using RPG Maker. It's actually a very awesome tool set for making the specific game they are going after. The more recent versions are also really liberal and let you mess with tons of systems. Also it's not the easiest things in the world to use unless you really steal someone else's work and copy/paste your story/characters/art onto their actual systems.