TGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By TGB
No Caption Provided
Ever since the massive, colossal failure that was Square's one and only expedition into the film world "Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within" in 2001 the company has been extremely conservative and gun-shy when it comes to the games they develop and distribute. Anyone who is fairly well read on the state of Square-Enix and its release schedule will know of the lack of titles that do not feature the Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest names or do not have RPG placed somewhere within its genre label. But, back in the Hey-day of the PlayStation, before Sakaguchi convinced the Square board to flush their funds down the drain, they were actually an experimental company.

Parasite Eve and Parasite Eve II were an rpg and survival-horror game that were really trying to be American, they took place in America and at least attempted to make a game that American's could identify with. Bushido Blade had a lot of playability issues, but was one of the first attempts at a fighting game that had realistic damage parameters. Was it annoying to have your head chopped off and lose a battle in one move? Perhaps, but it was an interesting take on the fighting genre and made it distinct from similar games like Soul Edge. Einhander is my favorite of Square's various dabbling in non-rpg genres. Einhander is a R-Type style shooter, a vertical shooter that had very dramatic camera angle changes and a clean polygonal style. The game may not be as sublime and exhilarating as games like Thunder Force V, but it was a solid shooter with an intriguing steam-punky dystopian style that was grimy and bleak, something I had rarely seen from the genre previously. Einhander is not the worlds greatest vertical shooter, but it represented a nice step by Square into that genre and was a nice diversification of their catalog.

Which goes onto my major question for everyone. What kind of games do you think SE should be making right now? Should they just stick to strip-mining their base with their most popular franchises or should they experiment and try to make games like Einhander, Bushido Blade and yes, even games like The Bouncer? Does the possible purchase of Eidos and their revamping of the Taito brand make my point mute? I ere on the side of maximum creativity, but then again I don't pay the bills at SE.

TGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By TGB
No Caption Provided
Ever since the massive, colossal failure that was Square's one and only expedition into the film world "Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within" in 2001 the company has been extremely conservative and gun-shy when it comes to the games they develop and distribute. Anyone who is fairly well read on the state of Square-Enix and its release schedule will know of the lack of titles that do not feature the Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest names or do not have RPG placed somewhere within its genre label. But, back in the Hey-day of the PlayStation, before Sakaguchi convinced the Square board to flush their funds down the drain, they were actually an experimental company.

Parasite Eve and Parasite Eve II were an rpg and survival-horror game that were really trying to be American, they took place in America and at least attempted to make a game that American's could identify with. Bushido Blade had a lot of playability issues, but was one of the first attempts at a fighting game that had realistic damage parameters. Was it annoying to have your head chopped off and lose a battle in one move? Perhaps, but it was an interesting take on the fighting genre and made it distinct from similar games like Soul Edge. Einhander is my favorite of Square's various dabbling in non-rpg genres. Einhander is a R-Type style shooter, a vertical shooter that had very dramatic camera angle changes and a clean polygonal style. The game may not be as sublime and exhilarating as games like Thunder Force V, but it was a solid shooter with an intriguing steam-punky dystopian style that was grimy and bleak, something I had rarely seen from the genre previously. Einhander is not the worlds greatest vertical shooter, but it represented a nice step by Square into that genre and was a nice diversification of their catalog.

Which goes onto my major question for everyone. What kind of games do you think SE should be making right now? Should they just stick to strip-mining their base with their most popular franchises or should they experiment and try to make games like Einhander, Bushido Blade and yes, even games like The Bouncer? Does the possible purchase of Eidos and their revamping of the Taito brand make my point mute? I ere on the side of maximum creativity, but then again I don't pay the bills at SE.

fishinwithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By fishinwithguns

I never played Einhander, but I definitely remember hearing about it.  I never played Parasite Eve 1 or 2 either but remember watching my brother play through them both...he was way more into RPGs than I was.  But I used to love Bushido Blade 1 and 2, sometimes fights could go on FOREVER, while some could be over just like that.  It was pretty intense.  The Bouncer was interesting as well...I don't even know what kind of game it was trying to be...but from what I recall I'd probably just say it was a beat 'em up.  I also remember a game called Ehrgeiz, which was made by Square Enix too I believe (and it might have been right after the name Squaresoft became Square-Enix).  It actually came out in arcades first, and was a pretty strange fighting game.  All I remember was that it played a little like Power Stone, and I believe Cloud from Final Fantasy was a playable character.

But yea, I like reading nostalgic stuff like this and reminiscing.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Linkyshinks

Genius game, with awesome music.  I have a original Japanese PS copy. I remember hearing that they released the game on the Japanese PSN late last year. I really hope they create another game, but I would be happy with just a HD version really.

SE could definitely do with more experimentation, I would love to see more diversity in their output, because quite frankly I am getting sick of it. They  for me are a prime purveyor of stagnancy in the Japanese industry.. The  recent acquisition will certainly help, Eidos make distinctly un-Japanese games.

If SE are serious about making in roads in the west, they really need to concentrate on genres that appeal here, at least to start off with. They should use the download services on all consoles to experiment... I find it puzzling that Japanese developers do not utilize the download services in such a way, especially given the stagnancy in their industry.

clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By clarke0

I think it would be great if they were more experimental. Honestly though I haven't liked much they have made since they became Square-Enix rather than Squaresoft.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Meowayne

Ä's for everyone! Get your ä today, while it's still hot.

Edit: Einhänder is a German term for a short sword, btw. ("Einhänder" - "held with one hand")
Which is great because there are no short swords in Einhänder.

TGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TGB

Clearly I'm too lazy to type it the proper German way :)

The name does make sense, now that I see its proper translation, since you can grab a hold of the secondary weapons with your ships "arm." I wonder if anyone from the Xenogears/saga series worked on this game, since they eventually became the masters of giving unnecessary German titles to games.