Electronic Gaming Monthly: Just Online

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

Edited By Claude

I love magazines, I like to read in general and it makes me a little sad with the news I read on JoyStiq and Kotaku. It seems all of Ziff Davis's publications are going online only. I've been a fan of Electronic Gaming Monthly and Computer Gaming World for a long time. CGW became Games For Windows before it went online only. I understand the reasoning behind it, Jeff Green once wrote, "paraphrasing" it's not the subscriptions that make the money, but people who buy the magizine off the rack that counts. Ziff Davis filed for bankruptcy earlier this year, so this makes it even more understandable. I'm going to miss these rags though, just having them in my hand, flipping through the pages and then coming back to them for more intensive research. There are other magizines, but these two had a special place in my heart for a long time. When GFW went online only it just wasn't the same, actually, I'm not a big 1up fan. I don't know, there's just something about 1up I don't enjoy. I check the site out, but that's about it. So goodbye, EGM, I'll still enjoy you, until you quit coming in the mail and when that happens, my mailbox will have never felt so empty.

Thanks for reading

Claude

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By Claude

I love magazines, I like to read in general and it makes me a little sad with the news I read on JoyStiq and Kotaku. It seems all of Ziff Davis's publications are going online only. I've been a fan of Electronic Gaming Monthly and Computer Gaming World for a long time. CGW became Games For Windows before it went online only. I understand the reasoning behind it, Jeff Green once wrote, "paraphrasing" it's not the subscriptions that make the money, but people who buy the magizine off the rack that counts. Ziff Davis filed for bankruptcy earlier this year, so this makes it even more understandable. I'm going to miss these rags though, just having them in my hand, flipping through the pages and then coming back to them for more intensive research. There are other magizines, but these two had a special place in my heart for a long time. When GFW went online only it just wasn't the same, actually, I'm not a big 1up fan. I don't know, there's just something about 1up I don't enjoy. I check the site out, but that's about it. So goodbye, EGM, I'll still enjoy you, until you quit coming in the mail and when that happens, my mailbox will have never felt so empty.

Thanks for reading

Claude

MasterSplinter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By MasterSplinter

I am a long time EGM subscriber and I have grown to love every Ziff Davis employee at 1UP and EGM. They produce quality material and each have great personalities that shine in their content. I was also really upset when I heard the news, but I know that no matter where the content is placed, it is still going to be from the same quality people behind it. Digital killed the print media star. =(

AttackedCamo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By AttackedCamo

No! It looks like I wont be buying magazines anymore...

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Sorry for your loss dude. I still buy EDGE monthly because, despite already having heard all the breaking news live on the internet, their writing style is so fresh and inspired.

People should read more.

Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Gameboi

As someone who subscribes to a couple of gaming mags (EGM included), this is bad news. Online is nice, but there's something special about viewing the written word on glossy paper. I too, shall miss it.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By brukaoru
Sweep said:
"People should read more."
I would agree to some extent, but in terms of gaming magazines, I just think it's rather difficult to stay on top of the latest news when your publication only releases once a month. The internet can produce and distribute news almost instantly when compared to magazines. This is the major reason why I personally don't read game magazines right away when I get them in the mail. Also, now that I think about it, the gaming news on the internet is free, and while a subscription doesn't cost much for magazines, people always like things they want for free.

I would say the downside of gaming news online (the majority of it) is the lack of good writing and the constant copying and pasting of news articles taken from other sites, with little info added by the site who copied it, but there are a few gaming news sites that are actually good and always have a good article to read on a daily basis.
Torb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Torb

Eh, I know what you mean about having it in your hand, but EGM specifically I was never really fond of. Their reviews always seemed so....wishywashy. Dunno. That';s just me though.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#8  Edited By LordAndrew

EGM is already online. It's called 1UP.

If I'm not getting it in print form, what's the point any more?

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By super_machine

Ah that sucks. One thing you cant do with the online content, is read it in the bathroom. I've been an EGM reader since the Gi-Joe NES cover issue. That was a long time ago.

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By super_machine
brukaoru said:
"Sweep said:
I would agree to some extent, but in terms of gaming magazines, I just think it's rather difficult to stay on top of the latest news when your publication only releases once a month. The internet can produce and distribute news almost instantly when compared to magazines. This is the major reason why I personally don't read game magazines right away when I get them in the mail. Also, now that I think about it, the gaming news on the internet is free, and while a subscription doesn't cost much for magazines, people always like things they want for free.

I would say the downside of gaming news online (the majority of it) is the lack of good writing and the constant copying and pasting of news articles taken from other sites, with little info added by the site who copied it, but there are a few gaming news sites that are actually good and always have a good article to read on a daily basis."
Yes, in the age of the internet it is hard for magazines to compete with the instant update. The last time I read a gamepro mag, they had news under speculation that was two months old and already proven true. But, for magazines like EGM its more about the special stories and interviews that sets it apart.
giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By giyanks22

I don't have the dough for magazines, but I'm glad you seem to enjoy them.

Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Warfare
MasterSplinter said:
"I am a long time EGM subscriber and I have grown to love every Ziff Davis employee at 1UP and EGM. They produce quality material and each have great personalities that shine in their content. I was also really upset when I heard the news, but I know that no matter where the content is placed, it is still going to be from the same quality people behind it. Digital killed the print media star. =("
Indeed. T_T
zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By zitosilva
super_machine said:
"Ah that sucks. One thing you cant do with the online content, is read it in the bathroom. I've been an EGM reader since the Gi-Joe NES cover issue. That was a long time ago."
I think that's the only reason I still buy videogame magazines.
Damonation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Damonation

Wait what? I hope I get a refund because I just renewed my subscription.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By lordofultima

1UP has fantastic editors. Tis a shame. We miss you Jeff Green /Shawn Elliot / Crispin Boyer!

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By Dalai

Just another casualty to the internet, I guess.  I wasn't a fan of EGM I'm still not too crazy for 1UP, though.

dj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17  Edited By dj

I think that it was bound to happen. Though having the physical magazine in hand can't be replicated online.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By RHCPfan24

I haven't heard about this.  That is too bad.  I have bought many a newsstand issue in my years...as long as 1up is around though, I will be content.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Gizmo
Sweep said:
"Sorry for your loss dude. I still buy EDGE monthly because, despite already having heard all the breaking news live on the internet, their writing style is so fresh and inspired.

People should read more."
I also reccommend EDGE, aside from having the best looking gaming magazine, they talk about video-games as a art, instead of a quick fix.
RenegadeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RenegadeSaint

It's a sad day indeed.  I spent many teenage years reading EGM.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By daniel_beck_90

like it or not  ,  everything will be online in the future

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By pause422
daniel_beck_90 said:
"like it or not  ,  everything will be online in the future"
That's completely fine, but it isn't the future yet, and out of any magazine I'd like to keep actual print copies of and keep receiving, EGM is at the top of the list....so this saddens me a lot.
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unfortunately, long-form journalism is dead; not just in gaming.

I wish there were more magazine form publications you could get digitally about gaming (and tech in general), but even the ones I have backed on Kickstarter are lackluster. Primarily, their distribution methods are always crap. The focus is always on restrictive DRM rather than a pleasant presentation that is easily portable and usable across devices.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

sigh, the glory days, felt like a massive toy shore ad.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@brukaoru said:

Sweep said:

I would say the downside of gaming news online (the majority of it) is the lack of good writing and the constant copying and pasting of news articles taken from other sites, with little info added by the site who copied it, but there are a few gaming news sites that are actually good and always have a good article to read on a daily basis.

Problem is, there isn't a single decent long form writer who writes about video games on the internet. Online is great for posting PR straight from ubisoft and sub-mediocre "content" mills like kotaku where interns post rambling shit every 30 minutes for clicks, but long form no ones doing anything worth even skimming through as far as I can tell.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Necroed thread. Plus the new conversation could be folded into some active threads about games journalism. Thread locked.