End of Generation: Nintendo 64

TheSilentGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 28

Edited By TheSilentGod

We are finally at the start of a new generation of games, with the Wii U already being here and the PS4 and Xbox One on the way by years end. There is a lot of talk about legacy in the air, and with that in mind I have been thinking about what were my favourite games of this generation, and the impact that previous consoles I owned had on my tastes in games. With that in mind I thought I would write a little about them, starting with the first console I ever owned; the Nintendo 64. I got the N64 for Christmas 1997, and enjoyed a few dozen games on it over my time with it.

These a the 10 games that have the strongest standing in my memories of my first home console, and that I think of most fondly all this time later, as well as play from timt to time:

10: Mortal Kombat Trilogy

No Caption Provided

My love of fighting games kicked off on the N64, and while I loved many, particularly Killer Instinct Gold and Mace the Dark Age, but Mortal Kombat Trilogy stood head and shoulders above them for me. It was not only my favourite fighting game on the system, it was the first game I ever actually owned, and started my continued love of the Mortal Kombat series to this day.

A great selection of characters, easy to pull off but hard to master move-sets, and some good-hearted violence really brought this game into my imagination. The fantastic physicality of the character models and the environments, the speed of the fighting and the damn good soundtrack all make Mortal Kombat Trilogy a special fighting game that was actually better than its successors for many years.

I still remember taking down Motaro and Shao Kahn to this day, and defeating the double team before facing those bosses remains one of the toughest challenges in my personal gaming achievements. It was always great to get some friends over for a few matches, beating each other till the characters exploded into bones and mulch.

9: Banjo-Kazooie

No Caption Provided

Rare created some outstanding games on the N64, and Banjo-Kazooie was one of their finest. Bringing together consummate 3d platforming with genuine charm, Banjo-Kazooie was was a must play experience. It has colour and vibrancy, actual humour with a smartly written script, and a strong amount of variety in its gameplay to keep things interesting for its duration.

Plenty of worlds with different settings, power-ups and unlockable moves, challenging boss fights, the ability to fart out eggs as a projectile attack, and even fly across what felt like vast levels at the time were all contributors to making Banjo-Kazooie a magical experience for me.

Taking on Gruntilda to save your young sister, meeting Mumbo Jumbo, and of course the running commentary of the squawking Kazooie are all things that stick in my head from this outstanding platformer, and easily the second best on the N64, which leads me to the one game that is probably a superior platformer.

8: Super Mario 64

No Caption Provided

Mario's Nintendo 64 debut was one of the most impactful games in history, and one of the best platformers I have played to this day. It had elegant and responsive controls that were a lot of fun to use. The levels were as varied as those of Banjo-Kazooie's, and also filled with colour and life.

The level design was among Nintendo's best in its history, not surpassed in my view until Super Mario Galaxy on the Wii. Great boss fights that felt like an achievement to overcome thanks to their scale, a great musical score and sense of pacing throughout, and a constant steam of fun unlockables made Super Mario 64 a fantastic experience on the N64.

7: Pokemon Stadium

No Caption Provided

I loved Pokemon when I was a kid, from the tv show and card game to the video games on the Game Boy Colour. When Pokem Stadium came out it blew away my expectations and became a massive time sink; finally I could see Pokemon battling it out in full scale battles on my tv screen.

The single player competitons of Stadium were good, but the mini-game collection was fantastic to play with friends, from the Lickitung eating contests to the Sandshrew digging races, they were just sublime.

However, what was best about Stadium was that you could not only play the Game Boy games via Stadium, but you could also transfer your handheld creatures into Stadium and battle against friends or the computer. It was an incredible experience for me, and cemented Pokemon Stadium as my favourite non-handheld Pokemon game ever since.

6: Lylat Wars

No Caption Provided

Lylat Wars, or Star Fox 64 in the U.S., was a game like no other for me. It was easy to pick up and play for a short period, but it also had a fun little storyline that felt great to experience time and again as a kid.

Divergent level paths depending on in-game action added huge replayability, and the use of both aerial and land sections really mixed things up. The multiplayer was not half bad against a friend and the bosses are just incredible; I will never forget the lava-mantis!

Lylat Wars also has some of the incredible ideas for its levels, including a battle on a snow world against Star Wolf and his minions, and an Independence day like battle against scores of enemy ships and a mothership. I hope this franchised is revived at some point by Nintendo.

5: Diddy Kong Racing

No Caption Provided

Forget Mario Kart 64, Diddy Kong Racing was where the real karting action was on the Nintendo 64. Great selection of characters, incredible variety in the track settings, hilarious and tactical pick-ups that are used to screw over rivals, and a state of the art single player story with bosses and trophy races all make Diddy Kong Racing one of my favourite games of all time.

Playing this is 4 player with friends, lashing around tracks in either cars, planes or boats, and shooting each other with missiles or oil spills are just some of what make Diddy Kong Racing spectacular. This was an example of the height of Rare's talent at level design, easily a match for anything that Nintendo itself could produce at the time.

4: GoldenEye 007

No Caption Provided

The game that shaped my expectations for shooting game's multiplayer offerings, and the single best work of Rare was GoldenEye 007. This was the first game were I shot an enemy in the balls and they reacted by actually holding their crotch.

A great singleplayer experience that actually took advantage of its license, GoldenEye was phenomenal thanks to its intelligent AI opponents, deep selection of weapons and gadgets, changing mission objectives based on difficulties and even inclusion of limited boss encounters. As I said at the top, GoldenEye was best when experienced in multiplayer deathmatches with friends. The amount of summer holiday evenings I spent shooting my neighbours in the toilet cubicles or locking each other in the cells of the Siberian facility were shocking, and I would change none of it.

3: Turok 2: Seeds of Evil

No Caption Provided

GoldenEye was not the only great shooter that the N64 had; there was also Turok 2 from Iguana and Acclaim. Turok 2 Seeds of Evil was a game of rampant ambition, with great visuals for its time, among the most interesting selection of weapons I have seen in any shooter to the present, and a plethora of enemies to face. From Dinosoids to Flesh Eaters, Blind Ones to Sentient insects and zombies, Seeds of Evil was damn impressive.

Enemies limbs would actually blow off their bodies when you shot them with a suitable weapon, the levels were huge and sprawling, with enough variety in the actual gameplay to keep things interesting even if the aesthetic was not radically changing after every stage, Turok 2 was a dark and brilliant experience. The cerebral bore, a gun that homed in and ripped out the juices of an enemies brain, remains my favourite weapon in gaming to this day. The story was also ambitious, playing off different factions against each other and really enriching the lore of the Turok setting. It was also the last Turok game that I really liked, following on from its fantastic predecessor which I want to mention.

2: Turok: Dinosaur Hunter

No Caption Provided

Just like its sequel, Dinosaur Hunter had incredible variety in its weapons and level settings. Tree-top villages and ancient temple ruins to deserts and cybernetic fortresses, the first Turok game was no slacker when it came to scale. The enemies were also fantastic, from the chilling cave-dwelling Leapers to the mighty Purlin, and that is without considering the boss fights; especially the cyborg Tyrannosaurus Rex!

Dinosaur Hunter also had a huge amount of hidden areas and items spread throughout its worlds, prompting me to actually sit down and draw maps to mark where I found them. There are literally 3 games that I have done that for, and Turok Dinosaur Hunter is one of them. Acclaim and Iguana crafted a classic with this title, and I think it deserves a bit more recognition than it receives.

1: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

No Caption Provided

Yea it is the predictable number one for N64 favourites, but Ocarina of Time had a huge impact on me when I played it. I completely realised landscape to travel across was boggling at the time, but it also contained some incredibly memorable moments, moist poignant of which was the first time you ride across Hyrule Field with Epona; pure magic. The boss fights are also damn impressive, and the entire way the game actually plays is just plain fun and easy to get into, which in conjunction with the colourful and attractive visuals was an easy sell to the 8 year old me.

Ocarina of Time had lavish design in its Temples and dungeon sections, a beautiful soundtrack and a strength of character and identity that is extremely hard to capture in any medium, not just games. It is easily the pinnacle of the Legend Of Zelda series for me, Majora's mask felt like a shadow of Ocarina, and the other Zelda games that followed the N64 never attained the same level of excellence in my view.

So these are my favourite games from my first console, the N64. I will talk about the PS1 next, which I got the year after the N64 and got to experience a whole new selection of games and series that I didn't even know existed before hand.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#1 chaser324  Moderator

Pretty nice list, duder. My only beef might be with how high the Turok games are on the list, but I'll admit that it's probably mostly just me. I know several other people that hold those N64 Turok games in high regard.

If I had to put together my own list, it might look something like this:

1. LoZ: Ocarina of Time
  2. Rogue Squadron
  3. LoZ: Majora's Mask
  4. Perfect Dark
  5. WWF No Mercy
  6. Paper Mario
  7. Diddy Kong Racing
  8. Star Fox 64
  9. Jet Force Gemini
  10. Mystical Ninja

I look forward to seeing your other console selections.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

I actually just got Ocarina of Time on the 3DS. I have previously played it on the Wii, where I got a little bit past the first time you meet Zelda, but on the 3DS I have made it to Dodongo Caverns. It seems to hold up quite nicely. I've also completed Super Mario 64 way back on the original DS and played a fair bit of the Wii version. Other than those, though, I was a Playstation kid, so I haven't played many N64 games.

Also, I wish someone could use the term "dinosoids" these days without making cynical fun of the '90's.

TheSilentGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TheSilentGod

@chaser324: Thanks man, it was hard to pick a 10 out of the many games on the N64 that I love, and WWF No Mercy just barely missed the cut, such a fun game! As for the Turok titles, I just really loved the way those games were put together and the surprising amount of depth that they had. I totally get why people wouldn't like them, but for me on a personal level they are complete classics.

I like your top ten there as well, Rogue Squadron was great and Perfect Dark was a damn fine shooter.

I never managed to finish Majora's Mask, but I am glad that it is getting love from somewhere!

TheSilentGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: Ocarina of Time holds up very nicely and the 3DS version is probably the best that the game has ever been, some nice refinements in it. It is long but you certainly get game time for your money. I do wish the save system was better in it but that would be my only gripe.

Super Mario 64 is excellent as well, and that DS version was a lot of fun with Luigi and Yoshi thrown into the mix.

The Playstation was my second console but I loved that as well, going to be doing a write up of my memories and top ten on it soon enough.

And yes, Dinosoids are the embodiment of the true creative genius of the 90's :).

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5  Edited By Hailinel

Nice list! It's cool to see entries in a top 10 N64 list that aren't all of the obvious choices (i.e.: Anything made by Rare/Nintendo's biggest guns). I never played much of the Turok titles aside from parts of the first two, but I do recall having fun with them. It's a shame what happened to that franchise.

Trying to put together a top games list of my own is a bit challenging; just too much time has passed since the last time I touched my N64 to really be a good judge. But I will say that any list I create would include Mischief Makers. That was my first Treasure game, and man, it's absolutely a blast. Also a little mind-blowing, too, for reasons you might not expect. The game's save files ask you to input your name, and your age. I remember when I was in college the time I was visiting home and popped the game in. My save file said 16. I was 21 and was just...where did the time go? And...Jesus, I'm 32 now. I'm just realized that I'm twice as old as I was when I first played it. My mind has just been freshly blown. O_o

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#6  Edited By DarthOrange

FOOOK. I have been working on a blog on this very same topic. It has been in a word document for a while though because I haven't had the chance to finish it with school. I was going to call it FotS (Favorites on the System). Now it is going to seem like I am a total copier. :(

No Caption Provided

Anyway, great minds think alike I guess. Good write up duder.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Pokemon Stadium is great, but know what's awesome? Pokemon Stadium 2. It has 2nd generation pokemon, which we all know to be the best generation. Not a bad list either way. Not the list I would make, since my memories of that console are mostly first party Nintendo and Rare and I was too young to be allowed to play Goldeneye and Turok when they were relevant. Oh well. I can play them now and wonder what anyone saw in them, and then talk about how they're overrated, on the internet.

jasonefmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By jasonefmonk

I must be one of the few that loved Perfect Dark way more than GoldenEye 007. Along with that, for N64 my list would have The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Super Smash Bros..

TheSilentGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: Thanks very much! I was aware of trying to have some level of variety in the list, though I did want to stay true to having the games that I enjoyed the most on the list, regardless of their development team.

The first two Turok games were so great, such strong concept and game design, and it is a tragedy the way that series ended up, it deserved something better, but I guess they can't all be winners.

Unfortunately I never played Mischief Makers, but what you just described about seeing the age inout all that time later sounds like the best fourth wall breaking in games maybe ever, surreal stuff. It is crazy to see the time go by. I am 23 now and was 8 when I got my N64... where did all that time go.

TheSilentGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheSilentGod

@darthorange: Haha don't worry about it, go ahead with yours, it sounds great from what I can see there, and I want to see your top SNES games list!

Thanks for the comment, and yes great minds and all that :)!

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Cold_Wolven

Pokemon Stadium was pretty great, I didn't own a copy but I played it over my friends house all the time especially the mini game portion. Super Smash Bros, Mario Kart 64 and Goldeneye were also great games to play with friends.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Tom_omb

The N64 was my golden age of gaming.

I go back and forth with both 64 Zelda games for my all time favorite. Majora's Mask's darker tone and unique structure made it a risky and divisive game, but it paid off for me. It may have been light on dungeons, and the 3 day cycle made it hard to enjoy them under the time restraint (especially if you wanted to collect fairies) but, for me, the main draw of Zelda games are the side quests. Majora's Mask was the king of side quests. Orchestrating events at the right time and day by following the schedules of NPCs throughout the cycle was what made that game truly special.

I'd also like to give honorable mention to Rare's other great platformers DK64 and Conker's Bad Fur Day. Plus Rogue Squadron, Episode 1: Racer and Shadows of the Empire for the Star Wars fans.

@jasonefmonk said:

I must be one of the few that loved Perfect Dark way more than GoldenEye 007. Along with that, for N64 my list would have The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Super Smash Bros..

You're not alone. It's my favorite multiplayer FPS of all time and I'll still go back to it (even if it's the xbox arcade version). I never really got on board the online revolution for shooters, they have never matched the feeling of playing a split screen vs match in the room with your friends.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Needs more WCW/nWo Revenge.

kidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By kidman

Needs more WCW/nWo Revenge.

FUCK YES! The reason I bought my N64. No joke.

MAGZine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amazing games. Though, I think Tony Hawk's Proskater would definitely have a spot on my list, along with Mario Party.

I can still remember seeing Ocarina of Time and being filled with wonder and awe. Games just don't have the same punch they used to, though that's probably my fault.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By HerbieBug

No love for Star Fox 64.

*wanders off to go do a barrel roll alone* :(

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

• Super Mario 64
  • Ocarina of Time
  • WCW vs NWO
  • San Francisco Rush
  • Goldeneye

Those were my favorite games on the system.

Artigkar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

No love for Star Fox 64.

ermm... he did put it as number 6 on the list: "Lylat Wars, or Star Fox 64 in the U.S., was a game like no other for me."

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artigkar said:

@herbiebug said:

No love for Star Fox 64.

ermm... he did put it as number 6 on the list: "Lylat Wars, or Star Fox 64 in the U.S., was a game like no other for me."

...oh. >____<

TheSilentGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheSilentGod

@arbitrarywater: Unfortunately I never played Pokemon Stadium 2. The second generation of Pokemon is my favourite but N64 had so declined in popularity where I live that its games were not really stocked in shops by the time the second Stadium came out.

As for Turok and Goldeneye, I was lucky enough to have parents who were ok with violence in games so I was able to play them, great memories.

TheSilentGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tom_omb: I liked Majora's Mask a lot, but the problem at the time was that it was so different from Ocarina that it went against what I expected from a Zelda game, and that it was difficult, I never managed to finish it.

I think I would appreciate it to a much greater extent today, which is why I hope there is a 3DS version released at some stage. Also, Shadows of the Empire was fantastic!