#1 Posted by Aegon (5125 posts) -

Of course this is a taboo subject, but this isn't about requesting an Endurance Run. This is me asking the community what games they think would be a good fit for the ER and what giant bomb members would ideally be playing them. So this is more of a "what if" scenario.

Personally, I think the ideal ER candidate is:

• A game with the potential to be goofy.
  • Makes you feel like you've been on a long and winding adventure with some crazy twists and turns.
  • Mechanically fun / rewarding to play.
  • Not easy

With that in mind, I can imagine both The Witcher 3 (Vinny and Jeff) and Dark Souls II (Rorie and Vinny [or rotating guests]) being more than adequate for the role. While on the surface The Witcher seems like a self-serious game, the series has its fair share of intentionally funny / goofy moments, not to mention the comedic awkwardness the sex scenes would arouse. Dark Souls II is a different kind of funny (schadenfreude and rag-doll fun) and a different kind of adventure ( YOU DIED AND SOMETIMES YOU DEFEATED).

#2 Edited by believer258 (11063 posts) -

For some reason, Final Fantasy X-2 as played by Vinny Caravella comes to mind.

#3 Edited by Aegon (5125 posts) -

Haha, that's actually not a bad idea.

#4 Posted by McGhee (6091 posts) -

@aegon said:

@believer258 said:

Yes, that's pretty good. Play the new HD version coming out.

#5 Posted by Hengst (45 posts) -

No way. He would have to play all the previous Final Fantasy games first.

#6 Posted by Excast (695 posts) -

Dark Souls isn't really an ER kinda game. To much repeatedly running over old content due to deaths and not really enough story. I have enjoyed watching Rorie's streams and would like to see more of that sorta stuff on the site, but probably not in an ER.

#7 Posted by believer258 (11063 posts) -

@mcghee said:

@aegon said:

@believer258 said:

I hope we get a Quick Look of it at least. This site seems prone to making fun of things ironically, so I can definitely see a QL of X-2 HD happening.

#8 Edited by oraknabo (1426 posts) -

Dragon Quest VIII is still the best choice

#9 Posted by bushpusherr (714 posts) -

Not at all in the goofy sense that made stuff like Persona 4 so much fun, but with the recent revelation that Vinny never completed Dark Souls, it would be awesome to watch Vinny and Rorie tackle that game from start to finish. It would be much more of an endurance run in the truest sense of trying to finish a game without it breaking you.

#10 Posted by Aegon (5125 posts) -

Not at all in the goofy sense that made stuff like Persona 4 so much fun, but with the recent revelation that Vinny never completed Dark Souls, it would be awesome to watch Vinny and Rorie tackle that game from start to finish. It would be much more of an endurance run in the truest sense of trying to finish a game without it breaking you.

Yes, it would definitely capture the spirit of the name.

#11 Posted by stalefishies (324 posts) -
#12 Posted by ch3burashka (4914 posts) -

I'm playing Steambot Chronicles right now. It's goddamn mediocre, which is a goddamn shame, but there's plenty to like about it - it has a dialog system akin to Persona 4 (read: it barely matters but adds flavor) and the mechanics are at least unique, although somewhat unwieldy. Also, it'd be great it the framerate didn't fall to ~10fps whenever it renders a long distance. And if it had a quest log.

#13 Posted by Haruko (262 posts) -

Roadkill this was one of my favorite Midway games in the PS2 era and even now I pop it in once in a while. Think GTA style free roaming gameplay with the gameplay of twisted metal car combat plus when you hit pedestrians there is a chance they will get stuck in the wheel well. The missions are ridiculous, the soundtrack is insane (the title track being Don't fear the reaper by Blue Oyster Cult), and the story is batshit insane (superflu wipes out 99% of mankind survivors go mad max and strap guns to everything.

#14 Posted by Flacracker (1395 posts) -

Yakuza games. I have never played them but I'm sure they are filled with stupid Japanese stuff.

#15 Edited by TheKramer89 (422 posts) -

Shenmue on the dreamcast.

#16 Posted by narujoe93 (2462 posts) -

My tastes are wildly different than tge bomb squad, so I couldnt say. It should be a game they havent played, imo. Going in blind makes it more interesting

#17 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11040 posts) -

@mcghee said:

@aegon said:

@believer258 said:

I think Jeff and Vinny would be a pretty fantastic team for that game, mostly because it's so stupid in every facet of its plot and characterization and as a result, perhaps the greatest unintentionally comedic RPG ever made. I'll settle for a quick look though.

I would also accept Patrick being forced to play Chrono Cross, but sadly that doesn't seem possible anymore.

#18 Posted by Maajin (1039 posts) -

Yakuza games. I have never played them but I'm sure they are filled with stupid Japanese stuff.

God damn it. Now I'm sad we'll never gonna see that.

#19 Edited by kerse (2042 posts) -

Persona 3, but since that has a 0% chance of happening I'd say one of the Yakuza games would be pretty good.

#20 Edited by BeachThunder (11278 posts) -

I would love to see more DOS; I think DreamWeb would be great.

#21 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (5808 posts) -

In five or six years, I'd love to see an ER with something like B&K: Nuts and Bolts. It'd be neat to have the side-by-side ER, if just to see how different people approach the same sort of objectives.

#22 Edited by Green_Incarnate (1782 posts) -

I dunno, Morrowind maybe. Hopefully another gem comes along sometime.

#23 Posted by Olu (95 posts) -

Xenoblade chronicles

#24 Edited by Tarsier (1052 posts) -

someone who doesnt commit to new games playing dark souls. i want to see jeff or ryan.

#25 Edited by Aegon (5125 posts) -

@tarsier said:

someone who doesnt commit to new games playing dark souls. i want to see jeff or ryan.

Ryan playing and Jeff talking might actually work really well. Ryan was actually picking things up pretty quickly that one time he played Dark Souls.