Entertaining Game Videos/Let's Plays?

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

So this is probably a weird question to pose on Giant Bomb, but where does everyone go to for game-related videos or streams that are just straight up funny or entertaining?

Giant Bomb used to be really reliable in that regard for me, but lately the majority of its content just feels really dry to me and doesn't make me laugh like it used to. I've been having trouble finding coverage that fills that void - I really enjoy watching other people play videogames when they're just joking around and having a good time but I kind of have no idea where to find it. It's a tough line to balance, because it seems like a lot of the time people on youtube wind up trying too hard. Giant Bomb used to always be fairly effortless.

So, if you regularly watch video game coverage from other sites, youtube channels or streamers that makes you laugh tell me about it so I can check it out.

(this isn't to say Giant Bomb's game coverage isn't good, it's just become less of what I'm looking for - outside of excellent, really entertaining content like Metal Gear Scanlon and Demo Derby)

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

EwanSuttie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I really enjoy Game Informer's YouTube channel. Check out their Replays, or Super replays. I'm sorry to hear that Giant Bomb isn't doing it for you anymore. I find GI to be the next best thing to GB.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@tom_omb said:

I really enjoy Game Informer's YouTube channel. Check out their Replays, or Super replays. I'm sorry to hear that Giant Bomb isn't doing it for you anymore. I find GI to be the next best thing to GB.

This. Though I find their LPs are better than GBs even, particularly because of all the weird shit they play as opposed to, say, big name franchises like MGS or the Souls games, to which I have zero interest in watching. Part of that is down to their massive staff list, as they do still play more well known games, but they're able to have a good balance between the household names and the obscure. Tim Turi is also a goddamned champ for how he perseveres through so much absolute shit till the very end! Blue Stinger, Illbleed, Overblood 1 + 2, and Trapt (which is played by Dan) are some of my favourites.

Duluoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Duluoz

https://www.youtube.com/user/yahtzee19

Yahtzee (of Zero Punctuation) has a pretty good youtube channel where he plays games with one of his friends. They are currently doing a series called Ego Review and are playing through all of Yahtzee's old adventure games that he made, so its an interesting twist to hear his thought process on game design from more of a constructive standpoint, as opposed to his other persona which is all about tearing things down.

Avatar image for valorianendymion
ValorianEndymion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By ValorianEndymion

I would recommend the LoadingReadyLive they do have some really good let´s plays, specially the one with Zoo Race and Prayer Warriors.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By TobbRobb

I'm just gonna keep plugging Chip and Ironicus as the high standard of let's play quality. Funny and indepth, with increasingly high production value as they go along.

As I've been diving deeeeep into Street Fighter since Ultra came out, I've been watching a huge amount of video content related to it as well. Aside from tournaments and replays etc. There is also a giant backlog of more entertainment focused video from the guys known as Gootecks and Mike Ross. The core series is called Excellent Adventures, but they have done a ridiculous amount of other videos under varying names, branding and websites. Fun stuff, sometimes educational, but mostly not. Mike is also currently hosting the entertaining Capcom Pro Talk every week.

That's kind of all I'm watching for gaming entertainment outside of Giant Bomb. I tend to leap between Channels depending on whatever my primary multiplayer obsession is at the moment. Which was a mix of League and Dota for the past... Forever. But those channels haven't stuck in my memory especially well. Dunkey was a quality entertainer if you like his style of humor. Skyrim video as an example, but mostly LoL stuff.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Thanks for all of the recommendations, guys, I'll have to check all of this stuff out and see what floats my boat. :)

Avatar image for deactivated-58a740bba39f5
deactivated-58a740bba39f5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anything on youtube by General Minus is great. He's from the UK and he constantly team kills on Call of Duty. They start cussing and he tells them not to use that kind of language and apologizes for being confused and stuff, lol. He kept killing one of his teammates because he was camping. The dude just flew off the handle.

It's awesome if you like hearing Brits throw around hilarious vulgarities at each other.

Danforth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Danforth

I will second the Chip and Ironicus love.

Also please check out the Jurassic Park: Trespasser LP by Research Indicates. Not only is it topical because of the upcoming movie, but for my money it is also a terrific examination of a wildly ambitious and ultimately disastrous game. In terms of informational content, it's hard to beat!

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By gatehouse

I would say check out Matt Lee's YouTube channel, his videos of Dark Souls and X-Com are very entertaining, especially as he's not really taking the whole thing super seriously.

EDIT: Now with lovely links!

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I would recommend the LoadingReadyLive they do have some really good let´s plays, specially the one with Zoo Race and Prayer Warriors.

These are some of my favorite people. It's the basically the Unskippable guys and their friends doing their unskippable thing for hours at a time.

PerfidiousSinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 3

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By DocHaus

There's always the "Retsupurae" channel by a couple of OG "Let's Play!"ers. Sometimes they just make fun of games by other LPers, other times they actually play the games. Currently they're taking on the task of surviving the awful Sonic 2006 game, and Afterfall: Insanity as a palette-cleanser.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Jeff Green where he plays Dark Souls and eats a big bowl of Spaghetti after talking about his colonoscopy. Good stuff. Also- Hamster, his Amnesia play through is pretty great.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: I'll also rep GI for their God Hand Super Replay. Dan's reactions to the special attacks are gold.

(But not Chicken Fries gold)

Avatar image for tournamentofhate
TournamentOfHate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Yeah I don't really watch too many QLs or Unfinisheds anymore unless it's a game I'm curious about. I don't know if it's because along with all the GB podcasts I was getting sick of that stuff taking up my entire week/weekend so I just decided to cut them out or what. Basically I just do the livestreams & podcasts now, and even those take up quite a bit of time.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#21  Edited By armaan8014

@meatball: Oh man I was gonna write a thread about the same topic but didn't cause I felt people might get offended and stuff.

Anyways, check out Funhaus (initially known as Inside Gaming). They just shifted to a new office and have that old GB feel about them due to that. They're about 5-6 (7-8?) guys with great chemistry and do really dumb stuff (in their gameplays at least) The videos are quite funny and immature, but most of all very light hearted. Seriously do check it out if you miss old GB QLs

Loading Video...

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheBlue

I'd recommend Lobos Jr. if you've got a need to watch some Souls or Bloodborne. He's also got some pretty awesome speedruns and occasionally plays other games. Normally I find streamers annoying with all the subscribing and donations but he rarely lets that interrupt him playing the game. It's also nice to watch someone just enjoy the games that they play and not feel the need to critique everything.

I also second retsupurae. Slowbeef uploaded his entire Metroid Prime Triology playthrough to his channel. It's hit or miss at times with guests (and Echoes is a slog) but it's mostly enjoyable. Diabetus also has a pretty good LP of Super Mario Galaxy 2 and he's uploaded his streams where he plays through the entirety of some games like Mega Man X and such.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@dochaus said:

There's always the "Retsupurae" channel by a couple of OG "Let's Play!"ers. Sometimes they just make fun of games by other LPers, other times they actually play the games. Currently they're taking on the task of surviving the awful Sonic 2006 game, and Afterfall: Insanity as a palette-cleanser.

Slowbeef and diabetus talking crap over awful games, slowbeef reading the worst creepypasta ever while diabeetus tries to play mario or something, and slowbeefs INCREDIBLE bullet hell journey...Retsupurae is the best. By a long shot. Slowbeef's 1cc playthrough of Alien Soldier is cool too.