Posted by EpicSteve (6495 posts) -

THIS CONTEST HAS BEEN CANCELLED DUE TO LACK OF INTEREST.

Hey folks, you may remember EpicSteve's 75th Annual Achievement Contest held not too long ago. Needless to say, I saw terrific feedback and participation. Let's do that again, shall we? However, i'm not tasking to community with collecting achievement points. This time, you'll have to write me something. Consider this a Videogame Writing Exam. Sounds scary, but hopefully it won't be. I won't be a grammar Nazi. I am looking for good articulation and to learn myself. A prize will be awarded to the victor!

Ok, so what is this contest?

To put it simply, an essay contest. You will choose from one of three topics. Their is no word minimum, the maximum is 1200 words. However, I don't recommend you write just a paragraph or two. But if you're an excellent writer that can articulate valid points in limited space, go for it.

What subject do I choose from?

Great question, lad! You can pick one of three very general topics. Here are your choices:

Your Favorite Videogame:

It's difficult lasering in your favorite videogame. Hell, I probably couldn't tell you mine. Don't sweat it! If you can't decide your ultimate favorite between a few titles, just pick a game you're really passionate about and tell me why it's badass.

Biggest moment in the Videogame Industry:

This can be positive or negative. What historic moment made the biggest impact in our industry? Is it the crazy corporate espionage of the 70's? The death of the arcade scene? The Wii's launch? Brink? Something else!?

Ways Videogame Journalism can be Improved:

You're on GiantBomb, have an account, and made your way to this thread. Chances are, you have seen a decent chunk of Videogame coverage over the years. What can publications do better? Mind you, don't speak of any publications specifically. This isn't "How to improve GiantBomb", but the journalism aspect of the gaming industry as a whole.

C'mon, just tell me the prize already!

Ok, ok. The winner will get to chose from a small GiantBomb Throwback T-Shit, or $20 space bucks for the console of their choice. The twist is, I won't decide the victor, the community will. I will shift through all the submissions, and will post what I think are the best three. Two weeks from today, June 8th, I will post the finalists. The community will vote on which they think are the best. The winner will be decided on June 11th.

Rules?

You might want to read this part if you plan on participating. I will accept admissions immediately. You will submit your essay to my PM box. Be warned, all submissions are final! In the subject area of the PM, write "Contest". The blog in which the finalists are chosen will go up on June 8th, consider that your deadline. What time will I make my final selection? You can gamble on waiting until June 8th to turn in your essay, I don't recommend it. I do suggest your keep track of my GiantBomb profile and/or my Twitter for any and all updates. Be entertaining. Don't write this like some college book assignment! Post below if you plan on participating.

I don't understand anything!

Post your question below or PM me.

EDIT: Don't format this in any crazy ways. Treat this like writing a nice blog. No need to indent or give me half a page of sources.

Goodluck, and have Batman!

#1 Edited by EpicSteve (6495 posts) -

THIS CONTEST HAS BEEN CANCELLED DUE TO LACK OF INTEREST.

Hey folks, you may remember EpicSteve's 75th Annual Achievement Contest held not too long ago. Needless to say, I saw terrific feedback and participation. Let's do that again, shall we? However, i'm not tasking to community with collecting achievement points. This time, you'll have to write me something. Consider this a Videogame Writing Exam. Sounds scary, but hopefully it won't be. I won't be a grammar Nazi. I am looking for good articulation and to learn myself. A prize will be awarded to the victor!

Ok, so what is this contest?

To put it simply, an essay contest. You will choose from one of three topics. Their is no word minimum, the maximum is 1200 words. However, I don't recommend you write just a paragraph or two. But if you're an excellent writer that can articulate valid points in limited space, go for it.

What subject do I choose from?

Great question, lad! You can pick one of three very general topics. Here are your choices:

Your Favorite Videogame:

It's difficult lasering in your favorite videogame. Hell, I probably couldn't tell you mine. Don't sweat it! If you can't decide your ultimate favorite between a few titles, just pick a game you're really passionate about and tell me why it's badass.

Biggest moment in the Videogame Industry:

This can be positive or negative. What historic moment made the biggest impact in our industry? Is it the crazy corporate espionage of the 70's? The death of the arcade scene? The Wii's launch? Brink? Something else!?

Ways Videogame Journalism can be Improved:

You're on GiantBomb, have an account, and made your way to this thread. Chances are, you have seen a decent chunk of Videogame coverage over the years. What can publications do better? Mind you, don't speak of any publications specifically. This isn't "How to improve GiantBomb", but the journalism aspect of the gaming industry as a whole.

C'mon, just tell me the prize already!

Ok, ok. The winner will get to chose from a small GiantBomb Throwback T-Shit, or $20 space bucks for the console of their choice. The twist is, I won't decide the victor, the community will. I will shift through all the submissions, and will post what I think are the best three. Two weeks from today, June 8th, I will post the finalists. The community will vote on which they think are the best. The winner will be decided on June 11th.

Rules?

You might want to read this part if you plan on participating. I will accept admissions immediately. You will submit your essay to my PM box. Be warned, all submissions are final! In the subject area of the PM, write "Contest". The blog in which the finalists are chosen will go up on June 8th, consider that your deadline. What time will I make my final selection? You can gamble on waiting until June 8th to turn in your essay, I don't recommend it. I do suggest your keep track of my GiantBomb profile and/or my Twitter for any and all updates. Be entertaining. Don't write this like some college book assignment! Post below if you plan on participating.

I don't understand anything!

Post your question below or PM me.

EDIT: Don't format this in any crazy ways. Treat this like writing a nice blog. No need to indent or give me half a page of sources.

Goodluck, and have Batman!

#2 Posted by Brendan (8027 posts) -

I already swallowed six Adorall, and I am ssooo redy tah goooo.....

#3 Edited by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -

I just got done with Finals, not sure if this is something I want to do right now, but it sounds like a cool contest.

#4 Posted by Enigma777 (6084 posts) -
Keyboard warriors assemble!  
#5 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i might try this. i have nothing else to do :P

#6 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2453 posts) -

No amount of spacebucks could make me voluntarily write another essay!! I only need one more upper level English course for my major and then hopefully I never have to do serious writing again!!

#7 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12006 posts) -

My essay writing talents aren't sublime, but maybe I'll consider entering, if only for the assumption that not many else will.

#8 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

So it's going to be Epic Steve's English 101? OK. Wait, question: what citation style do we use? Do we need citations, or will you accept dirty dirty plagiarism?

#9 Posted by EpicSteve (6495 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:
So it's going to be Epic Steve's English 101? OK. Wait, question: what citation style do we use? Do we need citations, or will you accept dirty dirty plagiarism?
How you cite your material (if you even choose to do so) is completely up to you. I don't intend to get crazy with the standard. 
#10 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2713 posts) -

Sounds fun, I'll do one when I get up tomorrow. 
#11 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Might as well ask another question: will you make the final submissions anonymous during voting? It'd prevent people voting by name, even though that's probably not going to be an issue.

#12 Posted by HistoryInRust (6380 posts) -

Giantbomb Throwback T-Shit.

#13 Posted by Pepsiman (2488 posts) -

You've got my interest piqued. As much as this community seems to actually enjoy the act of writing, I don't think I've ever seen this sort of event take place on here, so I'll probably throw my hat into the ring soon. We could use more writing-specific community events since we already have a lot of other talented artists, musicians, and video editors here who consistently pour in good content.

#14 Posted by Enigma777 (6084 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:
Might as well ask another question: will you make the final submissions anonymous during voting? It'd prevent people voting by name, even though that's probably not going to be an issue.
Screw that! I need all the votes I can get! >:]
#15 Posted by SonicFire (821 posts) -

Steve, you continue to be a great internet Citizen. Cheers.
#16 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@Enigma777

I do, too. We all do. I just want you to have no excuses when I inevitably beat your ass into a fine pulp.
#17 Posted by Enigma777 (6084 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:
@Enigma777:   I do, too. We all do. I just want you to have no excuses when I inevitably beat your ass into a fine pulp.
That crown of yours, polish it up so it's all nice and shiny when I take it from you. 
#18 Posted by DocHaus (1360 posts) -

Time to prove those writing classes in college were not wasted.

#19 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -

alright- time to articulate some splines dammit!

#20 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@Enigma777

But it will be of no use to a plebeian such as yourself. Only those of royal blood can harness its wondrous powers.
#21 Posted by EpicSteve (6495 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:
I would hope it wouldn't be an issue. However, the finalists will be anonymous just to protect against biased voting. 
#22 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

I love sweet shirts and spacebucks! If I can't write a decent essay, well then I'm screwed aren't I? I mean, as a philosophy student.

#23 Posted by RagingLion (1366 posts) -

I'll consider it.  Only thing I'm not sure about is being 'entertaining'; I can manage 'thoughtful' and 'well-argued' better.

#24 Posted by EpicSteve (6495 posts) -
@RagingLion said:
I'll consider it.  Only thing I'm not sure about is being 'entertaining'; I can manage 'thoughtful' and 'well-argued' better.
A good argument is entertaining. Just don't be boring is all. 
#25 Posted by RagingLion (1366 posts) -
@EpicSteve: Ok, that's good.  Also, does the money prize for the console of your choice include Steam?  I don't own a console and I probably wouldn't wear the T-shirt.
#26 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Submission = done. Off to work now.

#27 Posted by EpicSteve (6495 posts) -
@RagingLion said:
@EpicSteve: Ok, that's good.  Also, does the money prize for the console of your choice include Steam?  I don't own a console and I probably wouldn't wear the T-shirt.
If you prefer to be gifted something through Steam, that is fine. 
#28 Posted by Dudacles (1461 posts) -

I'd like to get in on this, actually. Writing essays is fun. :D

#29 Posted by melcene (3056 posts) -

I'm definitely down.

#30 Posted by EpicSteve (6495 posts) -

Hey! It's the weekend! Use this time to write something badass. Post your essay as a blog, kill two birds with one stone. 

#31 Posted by melcene (3056 posts) -

So I've been away from GB for a bit... is this on hold due to E3 coverage?
#32 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Cancelled? I am sad. My genius will go unknown (unless I post it in my blog).