#1 Posted by kevinpyon (50 posts) -

This game came out when I was in high school, and I remember being genuinely scared playing it on school nights. The wonky "insanity" effects of the game may seem cheesy in hindsight, but I still think they were well designed. I believe there are some games now that borrow some elements from this game (like that scary PC game Dave, Brad, and Snide just did a QL for). Anybody else have any fond memories of this game? 
#2 Posted by KennyPowers (247 posts) -

One of my favorites.  Loved that game

#3 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

I played a game called Half Life 2 once. Anyone ever heard of it?

#4 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -

I have very fond memories of that game.

#5 Posted by kevinpyon (50 posts) -

Actualy....never played any Half Life games. Not my cup of tea.

#6 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5257 posts) -

Wished I had.

#7 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -
@kevtheasian said:
" Actualy....never played any Half Life games. Not my cup of tea. "
I'm poking fun at the fact that you act as if Eternal Darkness is obscure. Its a pretty over hyped game.
#8 Posted by kevinpyon (50 posts) -

I wasn't aware Eternal Darkness was that over hyped and well known. When I bought and played the game back then, it was very much under the radar. I guess I haven't noticed that it's so well known now? And I got your sarcasm - just thought I'd answer your facetious question anyways. But thanks for the elaboration nonetheless :)

#9 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3782 posts) -

Too bad we'll probably never get a sequel.

#10 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

Played it when I was 14, but I watched my brothers play through it when I was 11.

Needless to say, at that age, the bathtub fucked me up bad.

#11 Posted by kevinpyon (50 posts) -

@Wrightous86

Maybe they'll pack in a sequel with Pikmin 3

#12 Posted by Undeadpool (4936 posts) -

I loved this little diamond in the rough of a game. This was always my barometer for someone's taste in horror: which do you find scarier? A zombie dog jumping through a window unexpectedly? Or the idea that World War I, one of the bloodiest conflicts in world history, was engineered in order to provide a supernatural cult with more corpses to feed their guardian?

#13 Posted by buzz_clik (6975 posts) -
@MysteriousBob said:
" @kevtheasian said:
I'm poking fun at the fact that you act as if Eternal Darkness is obscure. Its a pretty over hyped game. "
It's persistently hyped, yes, but I'm not sure that means that a lot of people have played it. It seems to me a lot of the hype comes from people on podcasts and a very vocal group of fans, which I'm not convinced is that widespread. I mean, it's a third party, smaller title on the Gamecube - that sounds pretty niche to me.

Oh, and I own it, have played a bunch of it, but never got around to finishing it. I'm sure I will at some point, though. Y'know, when game companies stop making new stuff.
#14 Posted by Hector (3364 posts) -

I played that game....really wierd.

#15 Posted by StarFoxA (5157 posts) -

I found it for cheap a week ago, so I bought it. Looking forward to checking it out later.

#16 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

Good game, love the sanity effects!

#17 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

I didn't, but my friend did.

#18 Posted by Yummylee (21622 posts) -
My favourite game on the Gamecube. RE4, get of cho pedestal, bitch!
#19 Posted by Rxanadu (508 posts) -

Just about to get the game in a few days.  Can't wait to get mindfucked!

#20 Posted by Warchief (657 posts) -

It is my favorite game of all time. it scared the crap out of me more than a few times when i was living alone in my apartment. 

#21 Posted by spiceninja (3062 posts) -

I borrowed it from a friend a few years ago and tried to play it. I didn't like anything about it.

#22 Posted by Yummylee (21622 posts) -
@TheFreeMan said:
" Played it when I was 14, but I watched my brothers play through it when I was 11.

Needless to say, at that age, the bathtub fucked me up bad. "
Oh man I remember that part. On subsequent playthroughs I made sure to never examine that bath..
#23 Posted by Warchief (657 posts) -

actually something worth noting. this and final fantasy tactics are the only games that I have never traded in, and its moved everywhere I have gone. 

#24 Posted by JusticeCat (113 posts) -

I lent my copy to a friend a while ago, should really ask for it back. HD remaster yo.

#25 Posted by chilibean_3 (1639 posts) -

I never had a gamecube but I was always interested in playing this game.  I've seen it around for cheap here and there and wondering if it's worth picking up.  So I'm asking if it's still worth playing through today?  Would it hold up for someone playing it for the first time?

#26 Posted by Mmmslash (2168 posts) -

It definitely in my top 10.

#27 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5256 posts) -

Chatt'urga, Bankarok, Aretak, PARGON, PARGON, PARGON 

Aside from casting spells getting a little on the annoying side after awhile, I love the sweet fuck out of this game. Probably one of my top gamecube games for sure.

l always made sure to backtrack through that temple level to get the purple dude Mantarok just for completion sake.

My favorite level though still has to be Maximilian's when you go around doing research on the monsters and all that.

The first time it faked erased my memory card I nearly shit myself.

@TheFreeMan said:

Needless to say, at that age, the bathtub fucked me up bad. "

Okay strike what I said before. This dude has it right.
#28 Posted by Jasta (2217 posts) -

So many fond memories.

#29 Posted by DukeTogo (1504 posts) -
@kevtheasian:  Arguably the best game exclusively on that console.  You Wii owners looking for a good game should track it down, it's still pretty unique and games are still drawing from it for ideas.  It's a shame Silicon Knights didn't make a follow-up instead of that Too Human debacle.

It isn't for everybody though, I lent it to a friend and he couldn't get beyond the first story.  It is a product of its time and the controls are pretty dated.
#30 Posted by odintal (1095 posts) -

I didn't have a game cube so I got to the party a little late. I rented it after reading on many sites like this one about how it was one of the gems on the system. 
The hype killed it for me. I walked a way with an feeling pretty "meh" about it.  

#31 Posted by DukeTogo (1504 posts) -
@MysteriousBob said:
" @kevtheasian said:
I'm poking fun at the fact that you act as if Eternal Darkness is obscure. Its a pretty over hyped game. "
Actually it's not.  Quite a few people had already given up on the Gamecube by the time it came out, or they were kids playing Smash Bros or Rogue Leader.  It also was a game that was under the radar for most, since it was from a studio that hadn't done anything prior, it was a mature title on the Gamecube, and it was a new IP.  While in hindsight it is regarded as a great game and a critical darling, if you didn't own a GC at the time or didn't follow game press, you probably never heard of it.

As for it being over hyped, it's a matter of personal opinion.  For it's time it was unlike anything out there, let alone the Gamecube of all places, and it was more about the state of the characters' - and your own - sanity then the enemies killed or your score.  Playing it now would probably reveal some flaws that nostalgia is known to hide, and playing for the first time now after all that's been said about it would likely not live up to some of the lofty praise it has received over the years.

I wouldn't call it among the best games ever made, but it's a unique game that's worth checking out if you like games that do something different.  Just remember when and where it came out when you play it to give it some perspective.
#32 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -

While the game's graphics may not have aged that well, I do remember Eternal Darkness having great audio and soundtrack. Also, this scene did startle me once: 

#33 Posted by kevinpyon (50 posts) -
@Apathylad said:

" While the game's graphics may not have aged that well, I do remember Eternal Darkness having great audio and soundtrack. Also, this scene did startle me once: 

That scene was definitely a "holy crap! do I really want to continue playing this game in the dark?" moment. I remember being angry/going bonkers when the "muted volume" insanity effect first occurred.
#34 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

I remember enjoying it but getting stuck pretty early on in some Indiana Jones-esque temple.

#35 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

I've never played it, but I did find the manual for it at school years ago. I think I still have that manual. I should get the game some time.

#36 Posted by kevinpyon (50 posts) -

How about an Eternal Darkness sequel on the 3DS? Bloody bathtubs RIGHT IN YO FACE

#37 Posted by Icemael (6320 posts) -

Yeah, I've played it. It was pretty fun. Not very scary, though.

#38 Posted by chocolaterhinovampire (1289 posts) -

Proudly made in St Catharines Ontario!

#39 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

Yup, it blew my mind. Went back to it recently and it stills holds up really well. Just another unappreciated classic on the undervalued Gamecube.