#1 Edited by MrOldboy (868 posts) -

OK, so I am at the point where I want to connect my 360, PS3, etc via ethernet. I've done some testing playing it via ethernet and over wifi and I can tell the difference at times. The problem is the router I have, which is built into my modem/cable box is in another room and should not be moved for the sake of everyone in my house as its closer to the center now and it still barely reaches everywhere. The TV is not that far from the router, but there is a hallway separating them.

I'll spare the details of my predicament, but simply I want to run a long ethernet cable from that room to the TV room when I want to play games online or just download large files and such. I typically play games late at night anyways so this isn't really a big deal as I can just roll it up when I'm done.

What I'm confused about is exactly what type of ethernet cable I want (cat 5, 5e, 6) and if anyone has a suggestion on a way to roll up the cable. I'm thinking a 75' or 100' cable would be plenty.

#2 Posted by MB (11984 posts) -

Why don't you get some fish tape and some Cat 6 rated for in-wall use (most cables are rated for this) and just run it through the wall and terminate them with the appropriate connectors...it's really not that difficult or expensive with the right tools. Plenty of guides online, too.

#3 Edited by MrOldboy (868 posts) -

That crossed my mind, but the simplicity of just unrolling a long cable when I feel like it seems like a way easier option to me.

I should have asked about powerline adapters though. Are they as fast as ethernet in terms of ping, the amount of data isn't a big deal, its the latency I want of ethernet. Reading online some people claim they suck, some say they work great.

#4 Posted by Nictel (2380 posts) -

Ethernet reels do exist so that is a possible solution do not a very tidy one in a home. @MB solution is maybe harder to implement but easier in the long run I would say, face it, half of the time you're not going to reel the cable in again after using it.

Powerline adapters, though I have no experience personally, work but the quality depends heavily on the infrastructure in your house. Like with any cable, the more it is a single uninterrupted cable the better. So the more switches, cable boxes, etc you have in your house the worse the quality of powerline adapters are.

#5 Edited by selbie (1844 posts) -
@mb said:

Why don't you get some fish tape and some Cat 6 rated for in-wall use (most cables are rated for this) and just run it through the wall and terminate them with the appropriate connectors...it's really not that difficult or expensive with the right tools. Plenty of guides online, too.

With the obvious caveat to BE CAREFUL OF LIVE WIRES. If in doubt, shut off all your mains power.

That aside, I have helped an electrician friend wire up a house with network cable and it is so goddamn satisfying when the job is done.

Edit: As for which type of wires, unless you are streaming raw video data between two PCs then you do not need Cat 6 (gigabit) cable. The normal Cat 5 is fine for internet use because I doubt even the fastest home internet connection would even come close to its rated maximum bandwidth. You will also save a bunch relative to Cat 6 :)

#6 Posted by Bass (692 posts) -

I don't agree with selbie. If you buy your cables in the right places (amazon/monoprice), you won't have to pay much of a premium for cat6, and you are future proofing your cable a bit. Especially if you go with an option like MB suggested, and put it in your wall.

Leaving wires on the ground is just asking for disaster, in my opinion. If you don't want to go the in wall route, consider laying some hooks or something similar in order to lift the cable off of the ground. Then you won't have to clean it up every time you finish your gaming session. I have a 100' cable and it is extremely long for my situation, even though I'm on the floor below the router and on the opposite end of the house. Make some measurements between the two spots and build in some slack. No need to have a really long bit of unused cable.

#7 Edited by MrOldboy (868 posts) -

The cable would never be left on the ground, its not like I'm going to lay it out during the day and just leave it there to be tripped over.

Looking up some guides on running wires and looking at my walls and room configuration it looks like it would be a bit more work than I want to commit to. I don't have an attic either to run wires. Its not something I find worth it just to make online gaming a bit more lag free. My wifi works fine for basic use, it would only be to improve my ping basically and its just not worth it to me.

At this point looking at monoprice a straight up 100' ethernet cable is pretty cheap and cat 6 is only like $2 more than cat 5e so why not just go with that?

I'll look more into powerline adapters and something to roll up the cable when I'm done. I was thinking something like this but smaller maybe. Anyone know of something similar to these?

#8 Posted by Butano (1728 posts) -

Personally I use a Netgear Powerline setup. Pretty easy and you don't have to go through the pains of rewiring your house. Just plug into an outlet and then buy a cheap 6ft ethernet cable. They can be a bit pricey for the higher speed ones, but they usually go on sale pretty often. Think I bought mine for around 50 bucks or so.

#9 Posted by MrOldboy (868 posts) -

OK after reading up a bit more I'm just going to get an affordable 100 ft cat 5e cable.

For the money it gives me what I need, less convenient, but gets the job done.

I am curious though if all cat 5e cables are the same, not quality, but in terms of what they do. For instance would a "patch" cable be the same thing as a basic cat 5e cable?

Thinking of getting this one http://www.amazon.com/BlueRigger-Cat5e-Ethernet-Patch-Cable/dp/B005LS2J14/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top or a cat 5e cable from monoprice, about $2 more.

#10 Edited by Azteck (7449 posts) -

I ran about 30m of CAT-6 to a switch I have under my desk to connect my PS3 and PC. Works like a charm. As for running the cables, I just got those little clamps with nails in them to strap the cable to the wall.