• 77 results
#1 Posted by wallee321 (79 posts) -

In the past week I tried to work on my backlog by attempting to play both Antichamber and Lone Survivor.

With Antichamber I originally played it for about half an hour when it came out, thought this is kinda neat, and then forgot about it. I tried continuing, but couldn't figure any of the puzzles out so, I decided to restart from the beginning thinking, "o'kay I'll just re-learn the rules of the game." Sadly, I made even less progress and just felt frustrated, that the game felt too much like work; eventually I decide it wasn't for me and moved on to the next game.

Lone Survivor has an excellent presentation with its graphics and sound design; it gives off a really creepy vibe. The game seems to be competently and well made game, but after 3 hours it just feels like work. I can understand from a design perspective why the controls are clunky and slow (to help enhance the fear and dread), but from my game-play experience their just bad and annoying. I'm probably just lacking the necessary skills, but the consistent food notifications, poorly lit hallways, and my inability to navigate the map just made me want to move onto the next game.

And that just seems to be the crux of the matter, I feel terrible leaving these 'well received games' unfinished, but since they failed to 'hook me' it only leaves two options: (1) push through wasting time on game that isn't enjoyable, but knowing that I 'should be enjoying it', or (2) regretfully remove it from the backlog, realizing my time is finite resource, and try the next game up, hoping it can 'hook me' and provide an enjoyable experience.

Option two is the logical choice, but dog gone it, feels like cheating and completely unsatisfying way to chip away at the backlog. </rant>

#2 Posted by RonGalaxy (3128 posts) -

Yes, and it's with Dark Souls. I fucking dig the methodical combat, which feels really amazing, but everything else about that game is poorly designed and poorly explained. Making it difficult to understand system level stuff unless you read a wiki is just poor design that adds no value or meaningful difficulty to the game. And the menu's are just atrocious. I hope that stuff is better in DS2, because I have a really hard time looking past it.

Though, I do enjoy watching Vinny play it!

#3 Posted by Sinusoidal (1424 posts) -

I like the idea of driving games. Unfortunately every time I play one, I last about a half hour before I'm like "I do this all the time in real life and don't enjoy it there." and quit. I bought Burnout Paradise really hoping it would be the one that clicked for me. It sits in my pile of "finished" games actually only about 1/20th completed.

#4 Posted by Animasta (14675 posts) -

I played a lot more than you did, but I think i'm right there with you on antichamber. It's been too long since I've played it and I probably forgot a lot of the stuff I was supposed to be doing.

#5 Posted by TruthTellah (8832 posts) -

Sure. I spent money on something. And sometimes, I've even heard great things about it. So, it really hurts when you feel like you're broken for not "getting" it.

Though, over the years, it has hurt less, as I've gotten more and more used to the fact that different games are for different people, and it's okay if you don't really enjoy something others enjoy or enjoy something others don't enjoy.

#6 Edited by CornBREDX (5125 posts) -

Ya, I couldn't get into Anti chamber either. I like it in concept but the puzzles were too obtuse for me. It reminded me of Myst in a lot of ways, though.

I don't feel bad about it. I'm not gonna like what others may like.

#7 Posted by Seikenfreak (379 posts) -

This is usually why I never force myself to play a game in my backlog unless I'm in the mood for that specific game. Otherwise it sours the experience

Sometimes I'll just be in a sort of open-minded mood and have fun playing/completing weird random backlog stuff. I went through this phase a couple months ago when I downloaded Vanquish off PS+ for free and had no idea what it was, but I ended up beating and enjoying it. So I thought to myself "Hey! F it.. lets play some other weird random stuff that I don't think I am in the mood to play.." and fired up my Killzone 2 save that I hadn't touched in years. Played it all the way to the end. Then I think I fired up Endless Ocean: Blue World and got around to finishing the story (great relaxing game, new ones needs to be made for next-gen hardware, ignore Jeff and Ryans QL of it, they are grumpy old men who didn't give it a chance :P). Next up was Alice: Madness Returns, another game I enjoyed but never finished. Knocked that off the list. Most recently it was L.A. Noire. I got it off Amazon black friday deals last November for $10 and it was still sealed on my shelf for months. Completed. Motorstorm was the first PS3 game I ever got and I stopped playing it years ago with only one or two races incomplete. Finished with gold in every race. Red Dead Redemption, another I was deep into the story but never finished. Checkmark done. Then throw in the RDR: Undead Nightmare DLC. Done.

There is probably a bunch more that I can't think of. I was on a roll and it felt good. But that was a rare situation for me. Probably had to do with me not having a job and not much money to spend on new stuff.

Then I look at the other games I have that I actually know I need to play but just can't get myself to do. I know, for me at least, it's better to just wait for some random time when the stars align and I, for some reason, feel like I'm in the mood to play that game.

I have unfinished stuff like Ni No Kuni. I put a few hours into it and thought it looked amazing. I spent a large portion of those few hours just flipping through every page in the in-game book reading about everything. Xenoblade Chronicles sits on my shelf and I've only put a few hours into it. I love the music and the gameplay seemed fun but I guess I just wasn't in the mood. Assassin's Creed 3 I have a few hours in and was kind of enjoying the game. I didn't even get into the meat of the stuff but I just put it down and haven't gone back. And here I am planning on buying AC4 for PS4 and I haven't even completed AC3. Hell, now that I think about it I never completed AC2. Halo 4 I bought because.. well why not. Put like 3 hours into that and stopped. Rayman Origins looks and sounds gorgeous and I barely played it. Think I got pretty close to the end of Mark of the Ninja but didn't finish it. Lego Lord of the Rings was the usual good Lego game fun but I stopped at like the Helms Deep part. Probably many more I'm not thinking of.

So - TL;DR - I feel guilty about some games yes but I know it's better for me to play what I'm mentally into at the time, other my lack of interest will probably just poison the experience.

#8 Posted by Zeik (2390 posts) -

I guess Valkyria Chronicles...kinda. I don't dislike it, but I feel like I should have enjoyed it more than I did. I even bought it before I owned a PS3 because I was so sure I'd love it, but I don't feel like it all came together like I hoped, even though so much about that game seems totally up my alley.

Also, Darksiders to an extent. Although that was more falling into Giantbomb hype than anything, since I dismissed it at first and only took the plunge after everyone talked about how it was such a great "Zelda" game. It's not really that much like Zelda...

#9 Posted by PandaBear (1360 posts) -

You feel bad for not liking some critically acclaimed games? Talk about first world problems.

I've laboured through games to see what the fuss is about ... sometimes I find it, sometimes I don't. I'm glad I stuck with The Last of Us (really glad) but Saints Row The Third was basically a game of tutorials IMHO. But I don't feel bad for having an opinion different to other people's. Life's too short to play games other people like and I don't.

#10 Posted by JoeyRavn (4969 posts) -

Baldur's Gate for me. I'm trying to play it (the Enhanced Edition, to be more specific), but it's taking me huge amounts of patience and devotion to slug my way through it. Everything feels so... dated.

#11 Posted by Zeik (2390 posts) -

@joeyravn said:

Baldur's Gate for me. I'm trying to play it (the Enhanced Edition, to be more specific), but it's taking me huge amounts of patience and devotion to slug my way through it. Everything feels so... dated.

That reminds me of Morrowind. I went into that game too late to the party, and as much as I wanted to like that game I just can't get past some of the absurdly dated elements. Especially the fact that you walk at less than a snails pace and the only way to move faster is to sprint, which is on a limited meter that you also need to attack. That's just...no.

#12 Edited by jamesyfx (69 posts) -

@zeik said:

That reminds me of Morrowind. I went into that game too late to the party, and as much as I wanted to like that game I just can't get past some of the absurdly dated elements. Especially the fact that you walk at less than a snails pace and the only way to move faster is to sprint, which is on a limited meter that you also need to attack. That's just...no.

I've always felt the same way about Morrowind. I played it after I'd already played Oblivion (as I never had an original Xbox) and I just couldn't get into it at all. I've picked it up several times trying to get into it but I always quit after an hour or so and get bored with it.

Another game I've never been able to get into is Saints Row: The Third. I've played it a handful of times and I just end up stopping and saying to myself "I can't even be bothered with this!" and exit. The game just doesn't feel tight enough for me to enjoy it I suppose. Which is weird, as I really enjoyed Saints Row 2 and I am enjoying Saints Row 4. Weird.

#13 Posted by Vuud (1961 posts) -

Dark Souls for me was 100% anti-fun. I tried three times to start it, I think I gave it more than a fair shot, but I just don't see what there is to like about it. I found myself grinding so I could go grind tougher monsters so I could grind a boss... whatever, I uninstalled and it's one of like three games I regret purchasing.

#14 Posted by Hunter5024 (5639 posts) -

I feel bad when there's any game I play that I don't enjoy. I want to enjoy everything.

#15 Posted by notdavid (837 posts) -

I was hyped to do nothing but Baldur's Gate for my Extra Life stream. I can see why it was great when it came out, but it seems to require in depth knowledge of the D&D rules before you even start. So I ended up moving on to a different game after 2 hours or so.

#16 Edited by Random45 (1158 posts) -

@joeyravn said:

Came to this thread to post this. I SO wanted to get into this game, and even got into a groove with it for an hour or two, but after that I just can't muster up the will to play it, and it has been so long that I would have to restart again because I forgot everything.

Edit:

Someone mentioned Valkyria Chronicles, that is also another game I really wish I could get into. Great art style, I was enjoying the story, the gameplay is fun and engaging - so what in the world could go wrong? I blame it primarily on the horrible maps that tell you absolutely NOTHING, and the fact that if you go into a mission blind, you're probably going to lose because they LOVE to throw in random encounters that you have NO way of knowing about before they happen, so they catch you completely off guard, and more often than not, you'll die to it. Then you have to reboot the mission and plan with THAT in mind and it goes smooth. Ugh, just a stupid game when it comes to that crap.

#17 Posted by falserelic (5413 posts) -

Nope I don't feel bad at all. Hell when I tried to play persona 3 I just couldn't get into it. Unlike two of my friends that actually enjoy the series, but then again they love anime style games.

#18 Edited by EXTomar (4687 posts) -

No. No way. The premise behind this idea is faulty. It implies there is something wrong with you because of the way you handled a video game which is kind of crazy.

#19 Edited by Brodehouse (9887 posts) -

I don't like Portal. I think it's style of humor is funny, and I think it's performed pretty well. But I didn't play the original until everyone else had drove every one of those funny jokes into the ground. And simply, it's style of puzzle is not the style of puzzle I'm into. I like my puzzle games to either be more about quick thinking and simple mechanics, like how Puzzle Fighter or Tetris Attack works, or be very narrative heavy, and the puzzle is more about how to resolve a situation. "Use portals to go over there" can get me for a couple hours, but at the point where I'm staring at a single room for 20 minutes until it sends me into another single room is not my kind of video game fun.

I also don't like RDR. I don't hate cowboys or westerns, but I just didn't buy what they were selling with the story. The entire world of GTA5 is an absurdist recreation, so the absurd archetypical characters fit in. The heavy archetypes in RDR just didn't fit with how grim and serious they treated Marston and the rest of the world. As such it felt like you were chained to these terrible people in a world that feels like you should say no.

Last of Us didn't click for me. I enjoy the parts where I fight guys, but the one-hit kill stealth sequences are annoying.

#20 Posted by Christoffer (1799 posts) -

Sadly, I feel like that with every other game I buy these days. I'm actually buying less and less games, and sticking more with the titles and franchises I know I like, because of that. Most of the times it's the indie darling type of games. It's well recieved, it looks fun and clever, I should like it... nope.

It's a sad development for me.

#21 Posted by oldenglishC (946 posts) -

Ni No Kuni: WWW. It was the big console JRPG that we don't get many of, and with that being my favorite genre and all, I was pretty hyped to play it. It looks nice and the music is halfway decent, but everything else about it did absolutely nothing for me. I quit playing after about twelve hours.

#22 Edited by JasonR86 (9659 posts) -

No. If it doesn't grab my attention fast enough then fuck it. I've got other stuff to do.

#23 Edited by GrantHeaslip (1573 posts) -

Fire Emblem: Awakening. Some combination of the fairly bland story and amount of grinding wore me down. I really wanted to like that game, and it's got so many things going for it, but I don't want to play it, and will probably never finish it.

#24 Posted by CooVee (147 posts) -

I really love that Demons Souls achieved as much success as it has but try as I might I just can't keep playing. It could be the feeling of isolation that also kept me from getting in to the Metroid games.

#25 Posted by Uppercaseccc (107 posts) -

Ocarina of Time is mine, I beat that game but I really don't get why people praise that game as much as they do.

#26 Posted by Tom_Scherschel (121 posts) -

Never. It's not my responsibility to make myself enjoy a game, it's on the game to make me enjoy it. I quit Hitman 3/4 of the way through because it just didn't feel like a Hitman game to me. Rage sat on my shelf for almost a year, unopened, and eventually I just traded it in without even trying it: if I couldn't muster up the enthusiasm to play it in a year, it was probably never going to happen. There is always going to be something else to play. Why force yourself to stick with something you're not enjoying just because other people think it's good?

#27 Posted by development (2261 posts) -

Fucking Bastion, man. I was numb to that entire game. I don't know what it was. I should have liked it. I didn't dislike it or... anything... I was simply completely numb to playing that game. I kept waiting for it to "kick in;" that feeling of "okay, I like this," but it never happened. I want to try it again after I've disassociated myself from it, as I'm not sure if my expectations played a part in the way I felt while playing it. I only got to the overgrown forested area (I think), and I hear the story gets good, so I'm not gonna give up on it.

#28 Posted by DeadpanCakes (857 posts) -

I think the closest thing to that for me would be Xenogears or Persona 2. Both for the reason that, knowing early-teenage me, I'm sure I woulda loved them if I played them when they were new. I've also had similar experiences with other people here, in regards to Baldur's Gate and Valkyria Chronicles, but I view it a little more optimistically. While I beat neither, I certainly got what I needed from then (then again, I bought both for less than half of how much they cost, originally)

I'm glad to say that I've never felt obligated to enjoy things (in the realm of video games, or otherwise) in the same way others do, just because others do. Of course it still bums me out to find myself not enjoying something that I've paid for...

#29 Edited by development (2261 posts) -

@notdavid said:

I was hyped to do nothing but Baldur's Gate for my Extra Life stream. I can see why it was great when it came out, but it seems to require in depth knowledge of the D&D rules before you even start. So I ended up moving on to a different game after 2 hours or so.

I played it and loved it to pieces when I was younger, and I had no idea what the to-hit rolls meant, or anything like that. But, really, it's all super simple and there's not actually that much to learn. Just download the original game's manual online (though it still kinda sucks at explaining things) and Google a few things like "to-hit rolls," "saving throws," and "AC," and look up what exactly the basic stats do (Charisma, Dexterity, etc.) and you'll know almost everything. It's deceptively simple. For example: "2d8" What the hell is that? It's 2 die being cast, each with 8 sides. So a character dealing 2d8 damage can do between 2 and 16 damage. Simple, right?

The real problem with the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale games is that you never get enough info on the enemies' strengths. You have no idea what their resistances are, what their hit dice are, what their levels are, etc. And that's just terrible from a gameplay standpoint if you're interested in knowing your chances in a fight.

#30 Posted by Shaunage (700 posts) -

I tried so hard to like Dark Souls, but the game found so many ways to make me hate it. Eventually I cheated for infinite health and STILL kept dying, falling off walkways in Blighttown. I uninstalled it, disgusted. Watching Vinny play makes me appreciate the game, but I hated every second of actually playing it.

#31 Edited by CaLe (3964 posts) -

I used to, for games that require a lot of learning to fully understand and get into, you know, games like EVE, Crusader Kings, 4X space games, etc. I'm lucky in that I'm good at any game I play the moment I pick up the controls (this sounds like bragging but I'm simply stating a fact), so as long as the game doesn't require a lot of learning to understand, I can get into anything quickly. I pity the fools who can't.

#32 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

Well i feel bad if i dont like a game i just bought.

#33 Edited by Crembaw (378 posts) -

Uhh, I guess the latest one is GTA5.

Think it came to me when I took a drive over to the airport to do the second heist (I spent all my time dicking around, okay?); I heard, for maybe the sixth time, that little commercial for some 'Xrote 9000' or whatever shooter game, talking about how it was totally derivative but critics loved it anyway. I sort of stared at the controller in my hand for a bit, then looked at the map.

I did not want to do *any* of the missions other than the heist. And I sort of had this moment of just, 'What am I playing?'

I suppose it was easy to say, 'well, I bought a GTA game, what did I expect?' But that's just it: I have never enjoyed GTA games. They are always mostly technically competent, but I can just never get interested in them. They are always my least-enjoyed releases from Rockstar. Sure, Red Dead Redemption carried smatterings of mechanical similarities with them, but I never felt fatigued doing a mission, never let out an exasperated sigh that I would have to ride my horse all the way over to that big letter on the map. I also never felt obligated to do them, as weird as that sounds. Nobody pressed a gun to my head and said 'play the Strangers and Freaks missions' yet I felt beholden to something, maybe some expectation of myself, to do them. So, I dunno. I'm not going to blame the hype machine - clearly people really genuinely enjoy it. As a product GTA5 is a fine game, but I think I had been trying to make myself like something that I historically never have liked. I gave it a good amount of time, tried to hit it with an open mind, and I still just did not enjoy it.

#34 Posted by DeadeyeMcCoy (257 posts) -

GTAV. I played up until right before the first heist and realized I'd sort of been forcing myself to play instead of really wanting to the entire time. I think it's a combination of not really enjoying a lot of the action (driving can be fun, but shooting always feels like a chore with a controller for me) and just straight-up having a hard time playing a game on a console in front a TV after having played solely on a PC in front of a monitor for so long. It was the first game I'd bought for a console in a long time, and trying to go back to that I find I just can't really get engaged in it anymore.

#35 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

Feel bad? No I wouldn't say I feel bad for not getting into a game. I will say that sometimes I feel left out (like with GTAV).

#36 Posted by VoshiNova (1677 posts) -

Yup.

I can't get into any Saints Row after the first one, and the first one was enjoyable for being a graphically advanced GTA.

It bugs me mostly because the bomb squad & community love the third so damn much, and I've tried numerous times to finish it. (or even enjoy finishing it)

I think it's because I enjoy immersion most from games of that genre, and it's game-y qualities are about all I see. The humor does nothing for me either; it seems like an adult swim show that didn't make it.

Whoa. Blame it on the coffee.

Yea it bums me out every time I re-install the third, and has stopped me from buying the fourth.

#37 Edited by DeeGee (2121 posts) -

I think Bioshock 1 is such a bad game that I could not get more than a few hours into it before quitting and never playing again. However, the gaming world seems to consider it some sort of amazing, genre-changing savant of a game and it bums me out that I can't see in it what everyone else does.

Urgh just thinking of how bad the shooting/combat is in that game makes me want to uninstall it all over again.

#38 Posted by CByrne (200 posts) -

Yes. Civilization games, I own a few of them but can never get into them. I want to be into them, but never really go in for a long hall. After 20 hours, I just lose all will to continue.

#39 Posted by Verendus (348 posts) -

No. People have opinions, many of us have our favorite genres and priorities when it comes to games. Some of the indie are something I don't really get the hype for, and back in the day when everyone creamed their pants over WWII games, I hated them. I still fear the day Battlefield series goes back to WWII.

#40 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

I today pushed through Sleeping Dogs, which I at first disliked very much, mainly because the connective tissue -the open world and driving- feels superbad to me, especially coming hot off GTA V. I much enjoyed the martial combat and hong kong movie style shootouts, and some of missions are excellent - but all of the driving drove me up the walls. I soon began quicktraveling with taxis, and making a beeline for the main missions to finish it up quickly. I almost didn't get into it - which would have been a shame. I ended up enjoying myself quite a bit.

Mafia 2 was on PS+ recently. I played it sometime after GTA V's launch. I liked a lot about that game, but it being an open world game with slow cars and shitty music and no fast travel... well... I called it quits after the first lengthy session (I got to the act after prison). The pacing was so slow, and I still had a rabid hunger for GTA Online, I just couldn't dedicate more time to it. I mean, as I quit I handed out cartons of cigarettes for like 10 mintues. What a drag.

I feel bad about not liking Mafia 2 more. It's a quality game throughout, but it's a drag.

#41 Posted by AlexW00d (6240 posts) -

@deegee said:

I think Bioshock 1 is such a bad game that I could not get more than a few hours into it before quitting and never playing again. However, the gaming world seems to consider it some sort of amazing, genre-changing savant of a game and it bums me out that I can't see in it what everyone else does.

Urgh just thinking of how bad the shooting/combat is in that game makes me want to uninstall it all over again.

I felt the same with Bioshock, but it was so damn short I managed to finish it before my urge to uninstall got the best of me. It wasn't a good game.

#42 Edited by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

@naru_joe93: From the beta I played it's a bit easier to control, the menu's improved and they do include more help with explaining stats, which is nice.

It's basically more of the same, but more polished.

#43 Edited by cloudnineboya (807 posts) -

at the moment i am having a hard time getting into splinter cell blacklist. I have liked an played all the other games but for some reason i just can't get into this one finding it kinda boring. think i am over this style of stealth game and sam fisher and his story just feels too samey compared to past games, need a new dishonored for my stealth porn .

#44 Posted by Shaka999 (470 posts) -

I wouldn't say that I felt bad (or that I didn't enjoy the experience), but I didn't enjoy the Last of Us like I hoped I would. Everyone talked about how cool and unique it was... but (to me of course) it was just a pretty 3rd person shooter with a crafting mechanic and some stealth sections.

#45 Posted by vonFlampanker (327 posts) -

I feel exactly the same as OP about Lone Survivor.

#46 Posted by Milkman (16682 posts) -

Everyone I've ever heard from that has played Vanquish tells me how amazing it is but I played it for a couple hours and thought it was real dumb. I think this might be my fault but I really don't get it.

#47 Edited by 1337W422102 (1009 posts) -

No.

#48 Posted by GalacticGravy (548 posts) -

Every single old Infinity engine cRPG. I know they're masterpieces, but maybe it's just that there's too much in them. 45 minutes in your quest log is 90 pages long, and you already forgot what your main quest is.

#49 Posted by TobbRobb (4603 posts) -

Not for very long. I have a bad habit of giving genres and franchises I can't get into way too many chances though... The amount of fighting games and MMOs I have lying around are too many to not feel a little bad.

#50 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5438 posts) -

I'm usually good about judging whether or not I'll like a game, so when I don't it's not much of a thought for me.

There have been cases where I hated a game at first and eventually it grew on me. Dark Souls for instance. Really disliked the game at first, but now it's one of my all time favorites.