#1 Posted by Devil240Z (3250 posts) -

By that I mean do you ever want to play a certain type of game but nothing you try seems to fit the mold?

I've been craving a kind of game but nothing seems to fit what I'm looking for. Its like I want a game that doesn't exist or something...

#2 Posted by Damodar (1283 posts) -

Ummmm... not that I can recall...

I am curious what sort of game you're craving though, maybe we can help point you towards something.

#3 Edited by Glottery (1099 posts) -

Kickstarter has a bunch of platformer/metroidvania type of games that I'd love to play right now, but none of those are coming before the end of this year. But well, still got SoTN to finish, along with Strider soon enough, which will hopefully lower the fever that Castlevania started.

#4 Edited by Devil240Z (3250 posts) -

@damodar said:

Ummmm... not that I can recall...

I am curious what sort of game you're craving though, maybe we can help point you towards something.

Hmm, well... I'm not even sure. I guess I just want to find something different from what I have been seeing/playing recently. I'm really trying to think of a good way to describe what i'm looking for. I can just think of some games that do exist but aren't out yet, like star citizen or that one space game they showed a trailer for during the VGAs.

#5 Posted by bigjeffrey (4699 posts) -

you should experiment and play games you would never play.

#6 Posted by Devil240Z (3250 posts) -

ha where do I start?

#7 Posted by Devil240Z (3250 posts) -

I have spent the last two nights just scouring the internet for a game that looks appealing. But other than steam I really dont know where to look. I know there are lots of other places to get PC games than steam I just don't know what they are.

#8 Edited by ripelivejam (3454 posts) -

came here to say i LOVE it when there's a bad itch on my back that i can't quite reach and i go to town on a corner or something, grizzly bear style :)

e: how the fuck did i not see the word "gaming"

my point still stands.

#9 Edited by Devil240Z (3250 posts) -

came here to say i LOVE it when there's a bad itch on my back that i can't quite reach and i go to town on a corner or something, grizzly bear style :)

e: how the fuck did i not see the word "gaming"

my point still stands.

Its true I totally do that too. I have the perfect spot in my kitchen for scratching.

#10 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

I have a frequent itch for Bioware and Blizzard games, but I can't scratch my itch for a Bioware game with a Bioware game I've already played - only a virginal Bioware offering will do the trick. For Blizzard games, I need the magic of *the Event* for it to really click, and only once I am obsessed, does it scratch my Blizzard game itch. This obsessions will last until I resent them for all the time their game asks of me, and I feel like I have other better things to do.

These experiences are pretty hard to come by. Outside of CD Projekt RED nobody has managed to capture that Bioware's *chose-your-own-adventure*-style of RPG just so, and Blizzard is still in a league of its own, when it comes to obsession-by-gamedesign.

#11 Posted by bigjeffrey (4699 posts) -

@bigjeffrey said:

ha where do I start?

Are you interested in dating alpacas cause boy do i got a game for you.

#12 Posted by SteadyingMeat (1101 posts) -

I had a real itch for some Twilight Princess a while ago but the internet wants way too much money for the GameCube version which is the one I wanna play. (I have the Wii one, but I hate the controls and flipped world).

#13 Edited by falserelic (5270 posts) -

(I fucking love horror games)

I got an inch to play a good survival-horror game. Outlast helped scratch that inch abit, but I hope to see more. Especially since I got a ps4 with amazing graphical capabilities. I want a horror game that's capable of giving me a heart attack. If we ever get some good devs to work on a nextgen Silent Hill game. Then that game should be more then capable of making my heart explode. I want to die happy and in the afterlife say it was all worth it.

#14 Posted by zombiepenguin9 (526 posts) -

I have spent the last two nights just scouring the internet for a game that looks appealing. But other than steam I really dont know where to look. I know there are lots of other places to get PC games than steam I just don't know what they are.

I'd try browsing around on GOG. There's bound to be something there you've never tried. If you're interested in Star Citizen, why not try some of the Wing Commander games?

#15 Posted by IIGrayFoxII (302 posts) -

I am in your same boat now. I was really into Call of Duty multiplayer, but got burned out around Modern Warfare 3. Now I really really have a competitive FPS itch and I do not want to waste it on the current COD release, or the current offerings of FPS games. I am waiting for Titanfall and am betting on it fulfilling that itch.

@devil240z: I can't even imagine having an itch that you have no idea how to scratch. You have no inkling of what you want? Slower pace, faster pace? Solitary or social? It is hard to point you to a game without any direction.

#16 Posted by Video_Game_King (35790 posts) -

Ew?

#17 Posted by gerrid (295 posts) -

Get Kerbal Space Programme, Euro Truck Simulator and Starbound. Maybe some combination of those 3 games will scratch the itch

#18 Edited by Jimbo (9767 posts) -

Yeah all the time because I grew up on games that don't really get made anymore. Or at least they didn't until Kickstarter came along, which hopefully will start to bear fruit in the near future.

My biggest problem with gaming at the moment is that everything on PC seems to be getting released as beta / early access, or in episodes. Finding a full, finished game to play has become at best a hassle and at worst impossible.

#19 Posted by ProfessorEss (7253 posts) -

More Viva PInata :(

#20 Edited by crusader8463 (14411 posts) -

All the time. They just don't make the kind of games I enjoy anymore, or when the odd one comes along it's always a poor mans version of the old game it's trying to emulate. So I seem to be stuck always playing poor mans copy, or replaying the same old game for the hundredth time. Gets kind of old real quick.

Also, I have been getting my itch to play City of Heroes every couple months as I always did but now that it's gone I can't ever scratch it. No other MMO was like that game in so many ways and it makes me sad it's gone now. What I wouldn't give to be able to just play that game for another few hours. So many good memories. So many days spent in that world.

#21 Posted by noizy (652 posts) -

Too many games. Too few good ones. Normally I can't seem to find enough good CRPGs.

#22 Posted by YI_Orange (1123 posts) -

Yeah, once I finished Fire Emblem awakening I wanted another game like that. Replaying XCOM or one of the earlier Fire Emblems won't work. Partially because a big part of Awakening for me was the support conversations.

#23 Posted by egg (1452 posts) -

yea that is why I play 3d sonic games, or used to.

ppl react rather hostilely to it though. Like "how dare you seek a specific type of experience!! hardcore gamers play anything with a high review score on it, who cares what type of game it is or how it plays!"

#24 Posted by m4r71n2012 (39 posts) -

Yeah sometimes I'll put a game on and before its even finished loading I've already quit it and looking for something else, sometimes i waste an hour starting loads of games and turning them off again. I have no attention span, i cant watch movies for the same reason. It really winds my girlfriend up as she loves watching films

#25 Edited by SunBroZak (976 posts) -

More loot-driven FPS games with skill trees? Something akin to Borderlands, but not like Fallout 3 because I'd like shooting that actually feels somewhat decent.

I could go for more trading card games on the Vita, too. That Uncharted one isn't really doing it.

#26 Posted by thatdutchguy (1267 posts) -

I got a real itch on my back and it itches every fucking night.

#27 Posted by Nightriff (4859 posts) -

Civ is great for my desire but I really want it to be even micro managing systems because I'm dumb. Like I would love to design all the cities, where to put the buildings, build highways to connect cities and individual roads inside the cities, so basically I want Sim City inside Civilization. Does the exist?

#28 Edited by Jeust (10448 posts) -

A great action open world zombie survival game, with a lot of ground to cover and very few inacessible places.

#29 Posted by ripelivejam (3454 posts) -

3rd person unreal with gunsaws

@devil240z said:

I'd try browsing around on GOG. There's bound to be something there you've never tried. If you're interested in Star Citizen, why not try some of the Wing Commander games?

or TIE FIGHTER!!!

:'(

#30 Edited by Tennmuerti (7951 posts) -

Yea sometimes. It's at those times that I look at a massive well of older games I've already played and replay the exact stuff I have an itch for and know i'll enjoy.

Like I'm replaying Bulletstorm right now because I am craving a fun fast shooter with different stuff to do, a progression mechanic and doesn't take itself seriously at all. I must have replayed Fallout Tactics like a dozen time (literally) over the years because of how tight and snappy it feels, robust in mechanics and my love for the overall universe, there is just nothing quite like it on the market. Over the new years holidays I dug into some C&C titles again. It doesn't even have to be only super good games either, as long as it fits the mold of the particular "itch" i'm having at the moment average stuff can do the job just fine. I've replayed stuff like Xmen Origins: Wolverine several times just because I felt a need for a bloody beat em up but didn't want to replay God of War or the like.

#31 Posted by RonGalaxy (2827 posts) -

There's a cream for that, I think

#32 Posted by CByrne (177 posts) -

Yes, ALL THE TIME!!!!

I'll spend 40 minutes staring at steam or the consoles and there is nothing that I want to play. By that time my gaming time is up and I go do other stuff. It's a weird sad feeling.

#33 Posted by Devil240Z (3250 posts) -

@devil240z: I can't even imagine having an itch that you have no idea how to scratch. You have no inkling of what you want? Slower pace, faster pace? Solitary or social? It is hard to point you to a game without any direction.

I am looking for something maybe slower paced. Like a strategy game and definitely a solitary experience.

@devil240z said:

Well those games are really old, not really interested in old games. I'm hoping there is some new game that I just haven't heard of yet...

@gerrid said:

Get Kerbal Space Programme, Euro Truck Simulator and Starbound. Maybe some combination of those 3 games will scratch the itch

Played KSP and Euro Truck awhile back. Starbound looks like Terraria which I'm not into. I cant deal with side scrollers that make you use a mouse for some reason. I guess I just expect side scrollers to be playable with a game pad.

#34 Edited by hans_maulwurf (120 posts) -

I want the game equivalent to a tv crime drama. No supernatural elements, no crazy serial killer, just one murder, one case to solve. Far to many adventure games rely on these tired tropes. L.A. Noire was kinda allright in that regard with some of its cases, but other than that not many games fit hat description.

#35 Posted by Devil240Z (3250 posts) -

I want the game equivalent to a tv crime drama. No supernatural elements, no crazy serial killer, just one murder, one case to solve. Far to many adventure games rely on these tired tropes. L.A. Noire was kinda allright in that regard with some of its cases, but other than that not many games fit hat description.

aren't there video games based on CSI? They're probably not very good though but I know there have been quick looks.

#36 Posted by ajamafalous (11798 posts) -

Yes, all the time.

#37 Posted by IIGrayFoxII (302 posts) -

@devil240z: Have you played XCOM: Enemy Within? Slower pace strategy game with base building (always a huge plus in any game), tech trees and tactical turn based combat with a focus on smaller unit counts (6 controllable units) as you would find in say Civilization or Starcraft for example.

#38 Posted by hans_maulwurf (120 posts) -

@devil240z: Yeah, you're right. I think those were even made by Telltale (though still not very well regarded). But I meant something like Columbo, Kojak, the more "classic", deductive thinking/interrogation approach, not the modern hightech overkill.

#39 Posted by SuperCycle (332 posts) -

I kind of have a craving to try a bioware style rpg set in modern times with no fantastical elements. No biotics or Mage powers, no orcs or elves. I would love to try out a game like that.

#40 Posted by Devil240Z (3250 posts) -

@devil240z: Yeah, you're right. I think those were even made by Telltale (though still not very well regarded). But I meant something like Columbo, Kojak, the more "classic", deductive thinking/interrogation approach, not the modern hightech overkill.

Ah, I gotcha.

#41 Edited by warpr (77 posts) -

@devil240z said:

By that I mean do you ever want to play a certain type of game but nothing you try seems to fit the mold?

I've been craving a kind of game but nothing seems to fit what I'm looking for. Its like I want a game that doesn't exist or something...

Yes, I have two of those:

My first itch is for story-driven open world games set in a modern setting which aren't too challenging. When I finish my working day I just want to sit on the couch and relax, so I'm not in the mood for any kind of challenging shooting/fighting/etc.. I probably should just go watch a movie, but my hands get bored after 20 minutes of doing nothing ;) So, I basically want to have a movie I can walk around in, progress the story at my own pace and explore the world when I'm not progressing the story. Sleeping Dogs was a great fit for this itch. I expect GTA V will also be good when I get the hardware to play it.

My second itch is for a music-rhythm game without any story nonsense, without the need for a silly controller, and straight-forward press-the-button-at-the-right-moment gameplay. So basically something like Dance Dance Revolution, but designed for keyboard (or xbox360 controller) and sits in my steam library. The closest I have to this is DJ Max Trilogy, but even that has this weird multiplier nonsense.

#42 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2855 posts) -

I know exactly what you mean.

Your brain wants something that's like something else. Only problem is it doesn't exist (only the else does) so you get the next closest thing, then the next closest thing, then the next closest until you realize that the closer you get the farther away you really are...

O.o

and then, uh, you become the very thing you sought to destroy?

#43 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Always.

It's infuriating.

#44 Posted by goreyfantod (113 posts) -

In answer to the actual question: yes, I feel like I've been waiting all my life for games that don't exist, yet.

Most games still just feel empty & artificial to me, which is a big part of why I end up listening to music/podcasts/audiobooks/etc. while I'm playing games. I've tried to get into various kinds of multiplayer games, but since I don't have any close friends who are into games, all of my multiplayer experiences have been pretty alienating.

The Kinect/MOVE and the Wii were stumbling infant steps toward something promising, but still nowhere near what I envision. The Oculus Rift has given me some renewed hope that maybe - just, maybe - the games biz is advancing at a pace that might get us there in my lifetime, but we're still definitely not there. I suppose I've been waiting all my life for the Star Trek holodeck to become real.

#45 Posted by lanerobertlane (134 posts) -

I do. For the past couple of weeks I've wanted both a Really Deep Fantasy RPG like Baulder's Gate that I could really sink into, or A game similar to Bloodwych or Dungeon Master that isn't Legend of Grimrock or M&MXL

#46 Posted by believer258 (11555 posts) -

I think the itch is saying that you should do something other than play video games.

Learn to play guitar, program, watch a movie, read a book, write a book, go somewhere... anything, really.

#47 Posted by Scrawnto (2432 posts) -

Frequently. I really want to play something like Fallout, but I've played the start of Fallout and Fallout II dozens of times. I just really want to play a new Fallout, but I'd prefer to wait until Wasteland 2 is actually done before I try that out.

Sometimes the itch is for something like Homeworld. Not a lot of options there.

Sometimes I just want a solid, single-player shooter but can't pick one to play.

#48 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5117 posts) -

Yeah, every now and then.