• 66 results
#1 Posted by fargofallout (289 posts) -

Title says it all, and I'd also be interested in knowing what the outcome was (ended up enjoying it, finished it and hated yourself, etc.). I recently finally started playing Skyward Sword, even though I didn't really want to. I would count some of the Zelda games as among my favorite games, but I feel like I have moved on as a gamer since the last one. I'm not a fan of motion controls, and I thought having to wave your arms for every sword swing would be a pain. It was, and rather than annoy myself by playing through the whole game, I decided to not waste my time doing something I didn't think was fun. The last time I played a game to completion because I felt obligated to do so was Final Fantasy XIII, and I still regret having played that all the way through.

#2 Posted by Nephasth (13 posts) -

Yeah, I've played plenty of games because of a sense of obligation. The worst was World of Warcraft. After quitting the game a couple years ago and analyzing myself in hindsight, I can safely say I'll never play another MMO again in my life. I don't enjoy them, I just feel obligated to play them.

Other than that, the only other game that really jumps out at me that I only finished for the sake of finishing was RAGE.

#3 Posted by billyhoush (1192 posts) -

Animal Crossing on the DS. I loved the first Animal Crossing for Gamecube so much I was stoked to play the DS version with online capabilities. I couldn't stand it and stopped following AC games. I think I just grew up and have less time.

Same goes for Blizzard games or shit like Skyrim. I am sure I would like them and as a gamer I should check them out but I know I don't have time for that kind of shit anymore....back to Max Payne 3.

#4 Posted by Skyfire543 (691 posts) -

I played WoW because I felt obligated to. I ended up enjoying it for a few months but I kind of dropped out of it. It was fun while it lasted, though.

#5 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3052 posts) -

No.

#6 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

The Old Republic, bought that piece of shit for $150 and played the full month due to paying for that month.

Biggest waste of my time since the time...well, I can't make that joke now.

#7 Posted by Liquidus (946 posts) -

Yeah, definitely. I have that mentality Vinny has where he must play the previous entries in a series before diving into the newest installment.

#8 Posted by JCGamer (663 posts) -

Well, I bought SSX, and have played it for a totally of 10 minutes so far.

#9 Posted by csl316 (8696 posts) -
@Liquidus

Yeah, definitely. I have that mentality Vinny has where he must play the previous entries in a series before diving into the newest installment.

Same here.

But I've done the same for non-sequels, too.
#10 Edited by Liquidus (946 posts) -

@csl316 said:

@Liquidus

Same here. But I've done the same for non-sequels, too.

Yeah, I've done that. I played No More Heroes(which I ended up loving) only because the only Suda51 game I had played at that point was Shadows of the Damned. So yeah, if the developer of a game I like has other games, I feel an obligation to at least try them out.

#11 Posted by bellmont42 (321 posts) -

Playing Skyward Sword right now and am enjoying it more than I thought. Also I played through Diablo 3 and got bored in hell.... game sucks and it is a genre I enjoy.

#12 Posted by sickVisionz (1268 posts) -

No. The closest I've come is playing a game because I heard good things about it and wanted to play it. I don't really grasp the concept of feeling obligated to play a videogame.

#13 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11753 posts) -

I played Deus Ex Invisible War out of obligation to see how bad it really was and so I could trash it in the blog that I ended up writing. The Answer: Exactly as bad as people made it out to be. Listen. I don't worship the first game the way some people do, but at least you can commend it for actually acting on its ambitions. IW is everything from the first game done worse, to the point where it baffles me that it was pretty much the same team that made the first game. Also the plot is even more stupid than the conspiracy theory/bad voice acting mish mash of the first game, which is an accomplishment in and of itself.

In general however, I feel like I would have never gotten through all of stuff like Icewind Dale and Planescape Torment had I not a blog series dedicated to the playing of old games. That's a good thing though, as both Planescape and IWD are totally rad. Now I just need to get around to finishing Icewind Dale II...

#14 Posted by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -

Yes, Bastion. I dont really like that type of game.

#15 Posted by Jayesslee (105 posts) -

Diablo III is starting to get there...

#16 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

Dragon Age 2. I hated just about every moment of it, but my love of DAO made me push through it if for no other reason than to ave a master save file for DA3. God I hope they don't fuck up 3 too. I have next to no faith in them any more though, so we will see.

#17 Posted by egg (1467 posts) -

yep

#18 Posted by Soapy86 (2622 posts) -

Pretty much every Call of Duty after CoD4. I don't really enjoy the games all that much, but that's mostly all my friends want to play anymore. :/

#19 Posted by jonano (365 posts) -

Modern Warfare 2, I'm not a big fan of multiplayer shooters but I got caught up in the hype and bought it .Money was quite tight at the time so I played the shit outta of the multiplayer and it was ok I didn't really think it was all that great just needed to feel like I got my moneys worth.

#20 Posted by captain_max707 (490 posts) -

I've bought plenty of games because I felt obligated, but in general I only play what I want to play. 

#21 Posted by Raven10 (1793 posts) -

@Liquidus said:

I do this as well. I played the first two DMC games before I played the third. First one I enjoyed. Second one was one of the worst games I ever played. I only played the first disc. Couldn't bring myself to play the second. I've also tried some classics that I missed due to not owning the system they were on at the time. Usually don't finish those, though. Also, being a member of PSN Plus I have at least a dozen games that I would have never bought on my own that I now have sitting on my hard drive. I've played a couple of them for a bit. Some of the games they put on there I absolutely would have purchased eventually, others I didn't even know existed but I try to play them all for a bit at least.

#22 Posted by Khann (2852 posts) -

No, that's fucking retarded. I play games to enjoy them, not because they're some kind of bloody chore.

#23 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@JCGamer said:

Well, I bought SSX, and have played it for a totally of 10 minutes so far.

Yeah, that's sadly the unanimous verdict with that game.

#24 Posted by stinky (1549 posts) -

baby pacman, i knew the parents.

#25 Posted by Draxyle (1855 posts) -

The original Deus Ex. With everyone calling it the best game ever and one of the greatest PC classics, I did feel obligated to play it. It took me two tries to truly get into it and push through to the end, but I'm glad I did. Still though, old PC games are an impenetrable beast sometimes.

Similar story with Planescape Torment. As a huge fan of Baldur's Gate, I did feel like I had to play this, given that it was made in a similar spirit to BG. I haven't made it that far yet, but I do hope that it will "click" with me soon.

And then there's the original Thief and Fallout that I have from GOG.. mostly the same story yet again.

#26 Posted by ozzdog12 (861 posts) -

@sickVisionz said:

No. The closest I've come is playing a game because I heard good things about it and wanted to play it. I don't really grasp the concept of feeling obligated to play a videogame.

#27 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1791 posts) -

Off the top of my head...

• Fez - because of the hype and critical acclaim
  • Braid - same as Fez
  • World of Warcraft - had to try the phenomenon myself, lasted 6 months
  • Dragon Age 2 - because I loved the first game so much, and I had to know

There's probably a bunch of games in the other gens as well.

#28 Posted by bonafide (35 posts) -

I've always been one to tell people that if they're not having fun with a game that they should drop it, but. Yeaaaaaah, I can't talk. My current situation is sort of weird. A while ago I bought a ton of games on Steam sales, and a handful of them I never got to or just didn't play for various reasons. So this year I finally sat down and started playing through that handful. I made a whole list, told myselfI I'd finish them this year as a kinda cool New Years resolution, etc. Luckily, most of them have been really awesome but there's points where they turn into obligation because I wanna just finish them and move on through my list. It usually passes and I have fun with it again, but I think I can definately relate to the whole obligation thing in that way when I get impatient and wanna "finish it already".

Occasionally it also applies if I want to try out the previous games in a series with an upcoming installment that I'm interested in, but I get over that one pretty quick too if I'm unsure. Again, luckily most of the time the obligated feeling goes away pretty fast.

#29 Edited by PenguinDust (12523 posts) -

@captain_max707 said:

I've bought plenty of games because I felt obligated, but in general I only play what I want to play.

This. I have a Steam library full of games I feel obliged to play, but I've only downloaded and installed the ones I actually felt like playing. Practically anything by Tim Schafer falls into this category.

#30 Posted by Village_Guy (2581 posts) -

Nope, the closest I have gotten was probably Fez, but still I wanted to play that myself.

#31 Posted by BonOrbitz (2193 posts) -

Yeah, I'm at that point in Xenoblade Chronicles now. I want to just put it down and move on to other games, but after investing 75 hours in I feel I need to ride it out... It's not a bad game it's just that it goes on and on and on though the plot is paper-thin. Help me break these chains!

#32 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

Nope if I'm not having fun/seeing anything interesting then I don't play, unless is a new game that I at least need to play to justify the purchase even if I don't enjoy playing it but that doesn't happen anymore.

#33 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Half the games I play...... 

:$

#34 Posted by Tennmuerti (8108 posts) -

Nothing jumps to mind atm.

So hell no!

I mean i still have Portal 2, Amnesia, and a bunch of other unplayed stuff siting on my desktop, i'm just not in the mood.

#35 Posted by Godak (166 posts) -
#36 Posted by Brodehouse (9952 posts) -

I played through Red Dead Redemption because I HAD TO KNOW why everyone was so enthusiastic. I had quit when I got to Mexico because I thought they were all crazy Rockstar fanboys. For 11 months I slowly chipped away at Mexico, gettin angrier every time. When I finally got through Mexico and the Blackwell chapter opened up, I started to like that game. After finishing it I maybe understand why people love that game. But fuck if Mexico isn't the worst shit ever. Mexico is worse than the Mass Effect 3 ending, worse than Metal Gear Solid 2, the Fallout 3 ending. Mexico is dogshit.

#37 Posted by Little_Socrates (5677 posts) -

Yes, and it's gone well and poorly in equal measure.

#38 Posted by Maystack (906 posts) -

All my friends always go on about how amazing Dragon Age is, so I felt I needed to give it a chance whenever they bring it up. Each time though I get bored about an hour in. I've never felt obligated to finish a game though if I get tired of it.

#39 Edited by JoeBigfoot (107 posts) -

Controversial but Resident Evil 4. 

Im one of the 10 people that still pine for the pre-rendered backgrounds and awful controls (not that Resi 4/5 have much better controls). It just wasn't a Resi game, you kinda lose the tension when you can blast through a million enemies through the games. The day my girlfriend sold my ps2 silent hill collection (2,3 and the room) on ebay I almost cried.

#40 Posted by TheQuotedNegro (36 posts) -

Street Fighter. I own every one and I play everyone that comes out, even the versus series. I'd actually feel bad if I didnt

#41 Posted by JoeBigfoot (107 posts) -
@Godak said:

Final Fantasy XIII. It took me a couple of years to get around to it, but I am finding it to be oddly engaging. I'm 25 hours in, though, and the tutorial finally ended.

It's bizarre that that part was not exaggerated. Not much, anyway.

I crapped out around 9 hours in, got bored of the press-X-athon that was the opening segment of that game
#42 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

yeah, WoW. girlfriend at the time insisted we played together, i didnt hate it, and playing an MMO together is a great activity for a long distance relationship actually. but that was ages ago.

#43 Posted by jaycrockett (451 posts) -

Yes. There are different types of obligation.

Because I think I should like it: It was talked about on a podcast, or is from a series / developer I like.

Money: I bought this game on sale or on an impulse, now I feel like I need to get my money's worth. Also feel some obligation from games given as gifts.

MMO: Almost the definition of obligation gaming. You don't want to waste your subscription fee, or your friends want you to play, or you feel bad for your languishing toon. (I'm totally done with this type).

As I get older my time is more constrained, so while I might be obligated to pick up a game, I don't feel obligated to keep playing it.

#44 Posted by Bucketdeth (8012 posts) -

Bought Black Ops because of friends playing it, regretted decision within a week. Single player was interesting though.

#45 Posted by andriv (256 posts) -

The lost game, I knew it was short and boring so I just went through it in one sitting to get it out of the way

#46 Posted by Godak (166 posts) -

@JoeBigfoot said:

@Godak said:

Final Fantasy XIII. It took me a couple of years to get around to it, but I am finding it to be oddly engaging. I'm 25 hours in, though, and the tutorial finally ended.

It's bizarre that that part was not exaggerated. Not much, anyway.

I crapped out around 9 hours in, got bored of the press-X-athon that was the opening segment of that game

It really does get much more intense and interesting once you are allowed to use all of the tools at your disposal. There was absolutely no feasible reason for Squeenix locking away all the goodies so that you can be treated like a mentally delayed chimpanze who has suffered severe brain trauma for 20+ hours of tutorializing.

Pacing. It's a thing.

#47 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

I don'y really delegate my time like that, I try to only play games that I might like and if there is a demo or a trial then that great. I had to become more stingy with my money.

#48 Posted by Plasticstars (171 posts) -

I kind of had that feeling when I played the original Half-Life last year. I loved HL2 but missed the original, and while I had a good time with it the only thing that kept me going through the alien world at the end was the thought that I owed it to myself to finish the damn thing.

#49 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Duke Nukem forever. It had to be played. I knew it would be bad but it had to be done. 

#50 Posted by Sdoots (205 posts) -

@captain_max707 said:

I've bought plenty of games because I felt obligated, but in general I only play what I want to play.

Pretty much this. I try to buy any games that look interesting and worthwhile, but probably won't make any profit. As a result, I own copies of both No More Heroes, Shadows of the Damned, Rayman Origins, You Don't Know Jack, and so forth.