Ever played a game where you had an "OMFG *Heart Attack*" moment?

• 65 results
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Geno

Just booted up Stalker again after a month's hiatus. What happens to me just as I'm about to walk into the first room after my save? A freaking semi-invisible zombie demon with a tentacle mouth pops out of nowhere, slashes me twice and kills me. Didn't help that I was wearing earphones with sound turned to high either. First time in a long time where I felt my eyes go wide, heard my mouth gasping and my heart skip a beat. I subsequently closed the game after that. Will probably play it again when I can get my friends surrounding me during broad daylight lol.  

Ever had one of those moments with a horror or action title and which game was it? 

jim_dandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By jim_dandy

Um...same game. Pretty much what you just described except with more girly screaming.

Kblt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Kblt

I HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH'd through the goddamn Penumbra from the start to finish.

And Bloodsuckers in STALKER.  FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU WHAT LAYER OF HELL SPAWNED THAT MONSTER OH MY GOD WHERE CAN I HIDE FUCK FUCK FUCK

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Ghostiet
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Geno
@Kblt said:
" I HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH'd through the goddamn Penumbra from the start to finish.  And Bloodsuckers in STALKER.  FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU WHAT LAYER OF HELL SPAWNED THAT MONSTER OH MY GOD WHERE CAN I HIDE FUCK FUCK FUCK "
Omg is Penumbra really like that? I bought the complete pack and I've been meaning to play it. I guess I should learn to be a man first >.> 
Kblt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Kblt
@Geno said:
" @Kblt said:
" I HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH'd through the goddamn Penumbra from the start to finish.  And Bloodsuckers in STALKER.  FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU WHAT LAYER OF HELL SPAWNED THAT MONSTER OH MY GOD WHERE CAN I HIDE FUCK FUCK FUCK "
Omg is Penumbra really like that? I bought the complete pack and I've been meaning to play it. I guess I should learn to be a man first >.>  "
Once I got into a locker room, decided to search for stuff. THEN SOME UNHUMAN THING JUMPED ON TO MY FACE. I alt+f4'd like a motherfucker and my heart was racing.
clapperdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By clapperdude

Definitely had moments like that in Stalker myself -- also the first Fatal Frame got me quite a bit (tape recorder part especially)....I guess I let  psychological stuff get the best of me. 

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By MysteriousBob

The moment where a huge skinless Snatcher face suddenly swoops into the screen in Act 2. 

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By eroticfishcake

A lot of things in STALKER reminded me of the wuss that I am. Which is why I stayed on the surface most of the time. But THAT bloodsucker thought the same. I had a feeling something was up when I saw a few bloody corpses in that hut but I certainly wasn't expecting that thing.

Kblt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Kblt

Also the snowmonster in ski-something.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Geno
@Kblt: Lol, unexpected but you're right. When I was 6 that thing scared the crap out of me because it moved so quickly and unnaturally. 
Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

In BioShock, I was in this icy room, so it was hard to see. Anyways, I was looking at something, and when I tried to move and back-up, I couldn't for some reason. I turned around to see what was in my way, and there was this splicer just standing there, pressed up against me, staring at me. I did what I think would happen in real life: I screamed and beat him to death with a wrench. I kept hitting him over and over even after he was dead.

;(

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Geno
@Vito_Raliffe said:
" In BioShock, I was in this icy room, so it was hard to see. Anyways, I was looking at something, and when I tried to move and back-up, I couldn't for some reason. I turned around to see what was in my way, and there was this splicer just standing there, pressed up against me, staring at me. I did what I think would happen in real life: I screamed and beat him to death with a wrench. I kept hitting him over and over even after he was dead.  ;( "  
0_0 Remind people not to sneak up behind you irl then. 
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By zeforgotten
@Kblt: I just bought the games. 
Sounds like I'm in for a lot of "ARG! Alt+F4-and-forget-about-game"
Kblt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Kblt
@Geno said:
" @Kblt: Lol, unexpected but you're right. When I was 6 that thing scared the crap out of me because it moved so quickly and unnaturally.  "

No Caption Provided
spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By spacetrucking

A couple of Doom 3's closet monsters got me in a really bad way. I had a fully rigged PC back then with a pair of Seinheiser headphones and I'd decided it would be extra fun to play the game in the dark.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By eroticfishcake
@Kblt said:
" Also the snowmonster in ski-something. "
Ski Free it was called. I still have it on this PC.

@Vito_Raliffe said:
" In BioShock, I was in this icy room, so it was hard to see. Anyways, I was looking at something, and when I tried to move and back-up, I couldn't for some reason. I turned around to see what was in my way, and there was this splicer just standing there, pressed up against me, staring at me. I did what I think would happen in real life: I screamed and beat him to death with a wrench. I kept hitting him over and over even after he was dead.  ;( "

Normally that would scare me shitless but for some reason I turned around and thought "O hai." and shot him in the face. It strangely amusing in morbid way.
Kblt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Kblt
@ZeForgotten said:
" @Kblt: I just bought the games. Sounds like I'm in for a lot of "ARG! Alt+F4-and-forget-about-game" "
you should play them alone and in dark.

not-sleeping-for-a-week-and-scared-of-most-simple-sound-for-the-rest-of-your-life material.
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By zeforgotten
@Kblt: I will try to become man enough to do that then :P 
Now that we're on the subject, what other games for the PC are freaking scary and gets under peoples skin (Stalker didn't do it for me :( )
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Geno
@ZeForgotten said:

" @Kblt: I will try to become man enough to do that then :P Now that we're on the subject, what other games for the PC are freaking scary and gets under peoples skin (Stalker didn't do it for me :( ) "

Although it may not look like it, I found Aquaria pretty scary in parts. It's an indie underwater adventure game that plays sort of like Metroid.  

How can this game be scary?
 How can this game be scary?

There are some parts of that with walls made of like organs and tissue and weird plant-like creatures trying to eat you, and then other parts where it's pitch black and you have to navigate while creatures are attacking you. It's fucked up.  

There was this one part where I snuck up to what I thought was a harmless plant, and as soon as I touched it, it opened its mouth and swallowed me. The crazy part was it was transparent so I could see myself getting eaten. I was so startled I banged my knee against my desk and had a bruise for like a week. 
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By zeforgotten
@Geno: I learned long ago never to judge a book by it's cover. 
So I won't judge this game based on the screenshot, I'll take your word for it and try it out :D
SeriousCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SeriousCat

Doom 3, that bathroom mirror thing really caught me off guard.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By stonyman65

Doom 3 was good.  The Gamecube REmake of Resident evil has messed up.   Silent hill 2.

Fatal Frame.     That game still scares me to this day. I won't even play it.

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By GunnBjorn

Unreal. 

Remember that moment in the beginning of the game where you enter that complex and all of a sudden you are trapped and all lights go out? 

And then you're standing in the dark,  hearing the growl of that Predator-like creature(Skaarj)?!  

I kid you not, i totally freaked out!
atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By atejas

First Bloodsucker wasn't nearly as bad as the first Controller. 
Or hell, the first poltergeist in X-18 was pretty terrible too. 

Also, anyone remember the spider tunnels in Penumbra? Goddamn.

MrYevrah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MrYevrah

The "Scary Maze Game" does tend to make one soil themselves. 

02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By 02sfraser

Eternal Darkness when you look into the bath. most people won't know what i'm talking about but to those who do will totally agree. never been so scared of anything in my life

Kblt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Kblt
@atejas said:
 Also, anyone remember the spider tunnels in Penumbra? Goddamn. "
OH JESUS CHRIST.
NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By NickM

The Condemned 2 bear, probably.
Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By Lunarbunny

System Shock 2 does a good combo of creepy atmosphere and scares. A lack of ammo helps add to the apprehension at running into enemies, since most of the time you'll want to beat them with a wrench instead.

Admittedly I still haven't finished the game. I should try, but the Dark engine has its issues on newer versions of Windows.

TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By TheJollyRajah

Haha, the OP's reaction made me laugh.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#32  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I've jumped where games have caught me off-guard once or twice but I've never had a reaction that strong.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#33  Edited By Yummylee

The dog jumping through the window in the original RE....i was like 6 and besides...that is some scary shit for its time O.O
Avatar image for mediumrightmaybe
MediumRightMaybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MediumRightMaybe
It's not a horror game and I've never played it but when I watched a review for Earth Defense Force 2017 I was incredibly freaked out. When the giant bugs were far away I had no problem but then they get closer and I almost had to turn off the review. This isn't the first time I was freaked out by bugs in a video game though. I remember when I was a kid playing Loaded, there were these scorpions that would move in the creepiest way. I'm okay with bugs in reality though but when it comes to virtual mutated insects I just can't stand it. Fallout 3 was almost too much for me.

@02sfraser said:
" Eternal Darkness when you look into the bath. most people won't know what i'm talking about but to those who do will totally agree. never been so scared of anything in my life "
I still need to get that game. I've been saying that for the last five years or so.
NintenDood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By NintenDood

I have a few: 
Fatal Frame- Holy crap was this game unnerving. I was moving the character around so slow, as to avoid being caught off guard, but it always happened anyways. Also, the Doll Room was KSJDBFBSEG 
RE4- The guy jumping out of the fridge scared the crap out of me. I immediately jumped up, and turned all of the lights on in my house xD 
Fallout 3- When I first encountered those giant red ants, I tried to get closer to one, so I could have a better shot. When I get right in front of it (my speakers were turned way up), he blew fire in my face, and I screamed like a girl and jumped out of my chair. It didn't help that my brother got to witness this, and kept laughing while my heart was pounding.

Crixaliz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Crixaliz

Thief 3, when you go into the Insane Asylum/ Orphanage, after that point that game just to a turn for the wtf this is creepy! (Probably the scariest game I've ever played too). I stopped playing that game for a month after seeing my first enemy on that level.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#37  Edited By bed
@eroticfishcake said: 
Ski Free it was called. I still have it on this PC.

Ski Free.. i remember that game. fucking monster scared me lol 
Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Brunchies

I had some when I wasn't paying attention in other games and something attacks me from the back. The most recent one though would have to be these organ monster that come from the walls in Dead space.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#39  Edited By jakob187
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Karmum
@jakob187 said:
" The ending of F.E.A.R. 2, when: 

"
You're kidding, right? Reminds me of a certain movie series (which I can't name at the moment), with an Alien woman who tries to get with any man so she can get pregnant with alien babies.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#41  Edited By jakob187
@Karmum said:
" @jakob187 said:

"
You're kidding, right? Reminds me of a certain movie series (which I can't name at the moment), with an Alien woman who tries to get with any man so she can get pregnant with alien babies. "
Species.  Those sucked, though...well...aside from when you're hitting puberty and see the first one in the theatres and yell "WHAT THE FUCK IS HAPPENING WITH MY PENIS?" when Natasha Henstridge is banging that one dood.  I mean, just as a joke, but it's great the kinds of reactions you can get out of making people think that you're popping a boner and don't know it...especially when you're only 13 years old.  LAWL 

Aside from that...yeah...not even NEARLY the same.
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Karmum
@jakob187 said:
" @Karmum said:
" @jakob187 said:

"
You're kidding, right? Reminds me of a certain movie series (which I can't name at the moment), with an Alien woman who tries to get with any man so she can get pregnant with alien babies. "
Species.  Those sucked, though...well...aside from when you're hitting puberty and see the first one in the theatres and yell "WHAT THE FUCK IS HAPPENING WITH MY PENIS?" when Natasha Henstridge is banging that one dood.  I mean, just as a joke, but it's great the kinds of reactions you can get out of making people think that you're popping a boner and don't know it...especially when you're only 13 years old.  LAWL  Aside from that...yeah...not even NEARLY the same. "
Just remembered the movies before I read the post. Wasn't particularly scary, but some crazy shit.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While first playing Dead Space and I went into the bathroom, the lights shut off and I almost shit my pants but soon it was all about jump scares and it got old quickly.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#44  Edited By TheGreatGuero
@02sfraser: Ha! Yeah, the bathtub in Eternal Darkness was a good one.
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#45  Edited By StarFoxA

FEAR had a few good scares in the three levels I played of it. Falling into a puddle of blood and being attacked by a skeleton stands out.

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By bicycleham

The second I finished installing Modern Warfare 2.

h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By h0lgr
@SeriousCat: Exactly. The freakin' mirror scene, it built up all that time and you knew something was coming. It was worse than you thought.
renmckormack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By renmckormack

Resident Evil One.  The first time you walk through the golden hallway with the arrow head and one of the zombies gets up and starts sprinting at you as the terrifying crimson head.  Check Mate.  And or anything that involved fighting Lisa, particularity in the RE make which was very well done. 

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Evilsbane
@SeriousCat said:
" Doom 3, that bathroom mirror thing really caught me off guard. "
Yea it takes alot to for a game to scare me but I had just built a computer for that game and I was woefully unprepared I actually had to take a about a 15min break after that never before or after has a game caused me to pause it stand up and have to walk away from it as badly as that scene did it just came out of fucking nowhere and yes I was wearing headphones.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RE2 when Nemesis (I think it was Nemesis) would randomly bust through walls and chase you while you were casually exploring. That got my heart racing.

Similarly, in HL: Episode Two when in the Ant-Lion caves and that guardian chases you around.