#1 Posted by D_Bones (365 posts) -

Hey duders just have some general questions as I am trying to play a few games on my laptop for the first time and want to use my ps3 controller. In particular the games are Bastion and Metro which I want to play. I have windows 8 on this thing and have got some advice from a friend (motioninjoy or something) and watched a youtube video explaining the process. Just wondering if anyone else has done it, how hard it is etc.

Thanks

#2 Edited by thebunnyhunter (1417 posts) -

With motion joy its pretty easy, just launch it up with controller plugged in, load the driver and enable the 360 profile. Its that easy and I know cause I do it all the time

Might as well state that i have never had any problems with motion-joy (cant speak to the bluetooth portion of the connection though). The only annoyance i have is that you have to re-enable it when you re-connect the controller, which caused some mischief when i first stated using it.

#3 Posted by JacDG (2124 posts) -

I've tried to do it before, but I didn't really get it to work properly, so I had to beat Super Meat Boy on my keyboard..

#4 Posted by Petiew (1348 posts) -

I use motionjoy when I want to play games with a controller on my laptop, as long as you follow the guide you shouldn't have many troubles. I occassionally have trouble getting the controller to register, but I just take it out and plug it in again. If you remove the controller while your laptop is still on it might start up your PS3 though, it always does to mine.

Motionjoy is pretty good in that you can make it seem as if your controller is a 360 controller. When I first tried Bastion I had to do this in the settings, since it didn't recognise the controller otherwise.

#5 Posted by Icemael (6320 posts) -

Motioninjoy is great. Just plug the controller in and go, and when you use the Xbox 360 gamepad mode you can map the buttons and triggers however you like.

#6 Posted by AlexW00d (6275 posts) -

My controller is plugged into my PC all the time, mostly cause I never turn my PS3 on. I very rarely use my controller, but when I want to it's already there, simple as hell.

Also don't play Metro with a controller.

#7 Posted by Leafhopper (229 posts) -

Yup, motionjoy is a great thing, I switch between it and a 360 controller I own. PS3 controller is really responsive.

#8 Posted by Slaegar (709 posts) -

I highly recommend that you don't try and play Metro 2033 on a gamepad. It will go poorly. The game supports it, but it feels terrible.

#9 Posted by D_Bones (365 posts) -

@slaegar: I just don't wanna buy a mouse

#10 Posted by probablytuna (3657 posts) -

It's great, I've used it numerous times playing games like Sleeping Dogs and what not. I remember having some trouble setting up but once the installation was done and the controller was connected it worked flawlessly.

#11 Edited by WasabiCurry (422 posts) -

With motion joy its pretty easy, just launch it up with controller plugged in, load the driver and enable the 360 profile. Its that easy and I know cause I do it all the time

/end thread

#12 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

I cannot speak highly enough of avoiding Motion Joy. It's easy when it works, yes. When it doesn't, it can seriously fuck up your PC. You're better off with a less invasive option. Get a 360 gamepad. If you can afford a laptop that can play Metro 2033, you can afford a 360 gamepad and a wireless adapter.

I'm not going to get into why Motion Joy isn't a good thing to have on your PC beyond this: I've dealt with a somewhat common issue that completely bricked my input and forced me to reinstall windows. And Motion Joy is known to go bad when it breaks. It'll probably be fine, but it's better to go for a less invasive solution to be safe if you ask me.

Metro will be bad on a controller. It's a PC shooter and it's not an easy one either. And it's got a few too many things going on to really pull off comfortably.

#13 Edited by Slaegar (709 posts) -

I cannot speak highly enough of avoiding Motion Joy. It's easy when it works, yes. When it doesn't, it can seriously fuck up your PC. You're better off with a less invasive option. Get a 360 gamepad. If you can afford a laptop that can play Metro 2033, you can afford a 360 gamepad and a wireless adapter.

I'm not going to get into why Motion Joy isn't a good thing to have on your PC beyond this: I've dealt with a somewhat common issue that completely bricked my input and forced me to reinstall windows. And Motion Joy is known to go bad when it breaks. It'll probably be fine, but it's better to go for a less invasive solution to be safe if you ask me.

Metro will be bad on a controller. It's a PC shooter and it's not an easy one either. And it's got a few too many things going on to really pull off comfortably.

What do you think of joytokey or xpadder? Do those even work with a PS3 Controller?

#14 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@slaegar: Wouldn't know unfortunately. I gave up on using a PS3 controller pretty quickly because I just picked up a dongle for my 360 controller (which I already preferred but I happened to have bluetooth on my PC at the time so went with that first). I'm sure there are other options. xpadder I believe does support the PS3 controller.

#15 Posted by Beforet (2921 posts) -

Just get a 360 controller. I wrestled with motionjoy for a long time: it's a dream when it works! But a pain in the arse when it doesn't. 360 controller just works more consistently. Hell, buy a receiver and use a wireless. It's what I do

#16 Posted by bobafettjm (1487 posts) -

I've been using MotionJoy for quite a while now and have yet to encounter any problems with it.

#17 Posted by oraknabo (1462 posts) -

@slaegar: xpadder works with any controller that has a working driver on windows. You can even make your own controller profiles by loading an image of the controller (which you can get from their community) and telling it where all of the inputs are and what type they are (buttons, sticks, triggers). I've set up some pretty nice configs with different button modes when something like left bumper is held or buttons that do different things for a quick press or a second-long hold.

@d_bones: I've had great success mapping STALKER, Thief and Amnesia to the 360 controller with xpadder, but I think it might be weird using controller mapping to play a game that already supports controllers.

#18 Posted by RetroVirus (1472 posts) -

I've had good success with using MotionJoy. I found it really useful for playing RetroCity Rampage and Alan Wake on Steam.

#19 Posted by D_Bones (365 posts) -

@mordeaniischaos: hmm so you would suggest get a mouse? I mean that or a 360 game pad yes. @oraknabo: thanks duder. I seriously have no idea what to do now, I'm no longer confident that Metro will even run properly on my laptop sigh I was really close to doing the motionjoy route but it seems I should just suck it up and get a mouse or a 360 controller and not get anything messed up.

#20 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

I used to use motioninjoy drivers, and they worked quite well. Recently though there's been talk that the Motioninjoy software is also some kind of spyware or something so I've stopped using it since.

#21 Posted by MeganeAgain (123 posts) -

I use MotioninJoy, and it works fine for me. I would have preferred not to use it though, as I have heard a decent amount of MotioninJoy horror stories. Unfortunately, it seems like the only option other than the new gamepad route. Like @mordeaniischaos said, try to play it safe with an alternative.

#22 Posted by Caustic_Fox (112 posts) -

I used to use motioninjoy drivers, and they worked quite well. Recently though there's been talk that the Motioninjoy software is also some kind of spyware or something so I've stopped using it since.

There is something a miss going on with Motionjoy that I've noticed from a few months ago. On occasion when I open Motionjoy I get a spam pop-up that leads to a site called: Network Classroom. Along with it, the URL is: 'www.sh.com'

I am now weary of using Motionjoy.

#23 Posted by Gnubberen (770 posts) -

The only thing you really need to be careful about is, connecting the controller via usb before you start the game. If you do it while you're in-game, it might result in a Blue Screen. Which can damage your windows installation

#24 Edited by Zero_ (1973 posts) -

+1 to MotionInJoy. I used my PS3 controller to play Super Meat Boy and a few other games and it was great. Though, as some have said, MotionInJoy can be pretty finicky sometimes.

#25 Edited by Snail (8604 posts) -

I don't remember what software I used exactly, but I remember it working just fine so a friend and I could play some Rock of Ages multiplayer just fine.

There used to be a pretty good guide on Giant Bomb about using all sorts of different controllers with desktop/laptop computers, with links to software, drivers, and the like, but it was probably lost during the transition to the new site (unless @lordandrew or another user devoted to preserving GB guides saved it I suppose).

#26 Edited by chrissedoff (2097 posts) -

@beforet said:

Just get a 360 controller. I wrestled with motionjoy for a long time: it's a dream when it works! But a pain in the arse when it doesn't. 360 controller just works more consistently. Hell, buy a receiver and use a wireless. It's what I do

I use Motioninjoy and I've never had any problems at all. The only bad thing about using a PS3 controller on the PC is that whenever you unplug your controller, it automatically switches on the Playstation. At least, that's what always happens to me. So yeah, using a 360 controller is better, that's true, but I suspect using Motioninjoy will save @d_bones a bunch of money.