Everyones Most Overrated Games Eva!

GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GnaTSoL

So fellow GB-users, I'm interested in everyone's opinion on what they think is the most overrated game ever. There's many out there I'm sure.

For me, I'll go with the Wii title 'Mario Kart Wii'.
Hell no this is not a great game! The game basically boils down to pure fudgin luck! There's no advanced stuff, just hold the a-button, randomly get a special move while racing, and hope it's a good one. When you're in front while racing I think the game even gives you zero chance at getting any good specials so everyone else behind you has a crazy easy chance of passing you.
Horrible.

Edit: LIST YOUR MOST UNDERRATED GAMES AS WELL NOW! :D

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By jakob187

Define "overrated".  You mean something that everyone loves but we think actually sucks?

I think debates and topics like this already exist on the forums, and all those threads are laden with "Final Fantasy VII, Halo 3, and GoldenEye".
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By BiggerBomb

I'd say the Final Fantasy, but I'm pretty sure that more and more people everyday are becoming aware of its flaws. That in mind, I'd have to go with Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas.

Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Gmanall

Gears of war I do not like it at all and it seems like all ratings are over 80

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By turbomonkey138

lol we think the same things

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By zityz
jakob187 said:
"Define "overrated".  You mean something that everyone loves but we think actually sucks?

I think debates and topics like this already exist on the forums, and all those threads are laden with "Final Fantasy VII, Halo 3, and GoldenEye".
"

This^
fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By fr0br0

That one game everybody likes...

Yeah, I don't like that game cuz everybody plays it.

REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By REDRUN

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue for the PS3... how long have we been waiting for the official game? Are they waiting for more PS3 units to be sold first before they can safely say they sold more copies then Killzone 2 and MGS4? In the end, its still just another pretty car simulator.

Halo 3 for the Xbox 360, lets be honest, its no CoD4 when comes to mechanics and scripted events.

Wii Fit on the Wii, my girlfriend does not look as hot as that girl playing the game in youtube.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BiggerBomb
LuckyWanderDude said:
"Mainstream game industry as a whole."

People who hate things on the basis that they are mainstream are jerks.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jakob187
BiggerBomb said:
"LuckyWanderDude said:
"Mainstream game industry as a whole."
People who hate things on the basis that they are mainstream are jerks."
People who hate people who hate things on the basis that they are mainstream are jerks, too...so who wins?
GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By GnaTSoL

Overrated meaning a game most people and other sources digged the hell out of it, but of course you don't find anything interesting or great about said game. What else would overrated mean?

I guess listing overrated games isn't enough, so why don't we all list our most underrated games as well:

Underrated - Lightning Force (Sega Genesis) - I'm not sure if it was a critical success or not but most people never mention Lightning Force when talking about the great past shoot-em up games like R-type, Graduis, etc. Lightning Force didn't particularly do anything different from other shoot-em-ups but it looked great for its time, had awesome rock-like music in it, and had good length to it.
Also, the game was caring enough to give us an unlimited lives cheat for those of us without the skills to evade enough enemy attacks to reach the end. That shouldn't go unsaid... I would know. :)

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jakob187

Define "underrated".

I ask for definition because there are too many times when someone makes a topic like this and then the argument eventually comes up of "oh, that's not overrated" followed with a half-assed justification.  Meanwhile, "underrated" is worse because I could say that Fear Effect is underrated...but it got really great reviews all the way around.  So, rather than being "underrated", it is "underappreciated" or "undersold".

So you see the dilemma?

Now, to answer your question:

Overrated - Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Underrated - Big Rigs
BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By BoG

Okami

No doubt in my mind this game is overrated. It had some of the most gorgeous graphics of all time, but the combat sucked, the puzzles sucked, it was too easy, and it just wasn't any fun. I was very disappointed.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jakob187
BoG said:
"Okami
No doubt in my mind this game is overrated. It had some of the most gorgeous graphics of all time, but the combat sucked, the puzzles sucked, it was too easy, and it just wasn't any fun. I was very disappointed."
All you have to say is "Zelda: Dog Edition" and it would've sufficed.  = D

LuckyWanderDude said:
"ToeJam and EarlKiller 7"
My mom would kill you for that T&J comment.  However, given that Panic on Funkotron was way cooler, we forgive you.  = D
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BiggerBomb
jakob187 said:
"BoG said:
"Okami
No doubt in my mind this game is overrated. It had some of the most gorgeous graphics of all time, but the combat sucked, the puzzles sucked, it was too easy, and it just wasn't any fun. I was very disappointed."
All you have to say is "Zelda: Dog Edition" and it would've sufficed.
"

I thought that's what Twilight Princess was.
Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Gruff182

Gears of war. The only clever thing in that game is the active reload. The other selling points for the game is that you can hide behind stuff... It's basically a watered down shooter.

Other than that, i'd go with any 1st party Nintendo stuff since the Wii.

GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By GnaTSoL

Overrated - A game that's almost universally loved cause they all generally believe its a great game, but you think otherwise, not just to stand out and be different, rather cause you didn't like your experiences with the game or hated certain aspects of a game (enough to warrant calling a game overrated).

Underrated - A game you believe deserved more appreciation cause most others never liked its concept, gameplay, style, or undervalued it. Pretty much a game you liked yet you felt most others didn't or gave it too much flak.

Explaining you answers would be nice. Make it interesting. Argue in a well mannered fashion if you need to ;)

Also please, give legitimate answers guys. Like Jakob187, you can't be serious about Big Rigs being underrated. Depending on how you defend your answer, that is not what I meant by underrated. O.o

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#22  Edited By natetodamax

Halo 3 is the most overrated game ever released.

prinny_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By prinny_god

the whole gta series

PowerSerj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By PowerSerj

Beating a dead horse here, but I think SFIV is overrated. Probably due to the fact that I'm not too great at the game and its persistance in making me rage. Bah.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By Absurd

Halo, I just could never really get into it.

prinny_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By prinny_god
PowerSerj said:
"Beating a dead horse here, but I think SFIV is overrated. Probably due to the fact that I'm not too great at the game and its persistance in making me rage. Bah."
I know what you mean it was fun for the first week but now it just frustrating and pisses me off
randiolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By randiolo

saints row 2.... so much hate 

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By Mushir

Ocarina Of Time.

OH YES I DID!
prinny_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By prinny_god
randiolo said:
"saints row 2.... so much hate "
what????? really?? you crazy
RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By RipTheVeins

I'm not really a fan of the Resident Evil series, not because the latter two don't allow you  to move and shoot at the same time since there's nothing wrong with that as long as it works well with the game, but it's just never clicked with me.

RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RipTheVeins

and as far as underrated goes I guess it would have to go to Onimusha: Blade Warriors. I didn't think the game was great or anything but I remember having more fun with that with my friends than I ever did with the Super Smash Bros. series.

randiolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By randiolo
prinny_god said:
"randiolo said:
"saints row 2.... so much hate "
what????? really?? you crazy"
yea man its just rubbed me tottaly the wrong way.. didnt find it funny or nuthin.. sure thier taking the oppisite road from gta but does that mean the game has to play like dog shit?...thats just my oppinion i kno other ppl like it but i spent $100 on it so i was pissed x2