Everything Gears 2 Should Be.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By End_Boss

Bombers, am I ever glad I logged onto XBOX Live, and more specifically Gears of War 2 today. This weekend has been designated "Old School Weekend," which means that all of the original Gears of War's multiplayer rules apply to the hotly debated Gears of War 2. Specifically, they've toned down the matches to the original four-on-four and (most importantly) have removed concussive smoke grenades. Upon reading this, I nearly teared up with joy.

Now, to say that they've removed concussive smoke grenades isn't completely accurate. In reality, they've only removed the god-awful animation associated with them and replaced it with exactly what I recommended in my Gears of War 2 review, which is the single, uniform, always-takes-the-same-amount-of-time "cringing" animation normally attached to heavy explosives going off near the player (frag grenades, mortars, etc.). I cannot stress enough what a drastic improvement this is and strongly recommend that anyone previously frustrated with Gears of War 2 pop it in over the weekend and give it another go. Thanks for reading.

Back in business, baby.
Back in business, baby.

-End Boss.
Cynical_M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Cynical_M

Well seeing as I never really played the Gears 1 multiplayer this should be fun for me......I like that they are changing it up a bit

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By JJWeatherman

So is this ONLY this weekend? Because I would prefer to have the smoke grenades thing be permanent.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By crunchUK

chainging it to 4 players seems to have fucked up the matchmaking system... i was over half an hour before i gave up

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By ArchScabby

This i stupid, if you want it to be exactly like Gears 1 why don't you just play that game?  What's the point of having a sequel if it's going to be exactly like the first one.

ShadowKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ShadowKiller

Dammit my friend still hasn't returned my copy... at least I bought Left 4 Dead today.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By End_Boss
JJWeatherman said:
So is this ONLY this weekend? Because I would prefer to have the smoke grenades thing be permanent.
As far as I can tell, this is the only weekend.

ArchScabby said:
This i stupid, if you want it to be exactly like Gears 1 why don't you just play that game?  ... [more]
Well, it isn't exactly like Gears, is it? There are still all of the weapons-balancing changes and new gametypes, as well as the additional weapons themselves (i.e, the flamethrower, mortar launcher, mulcher, etc.).

crunchUK said:
chainging it to 4 players seems to have fucked up the matchmaking system... i was over half an hour before ... [more]
Odd... Maybe it has something to do with your region? I've been getting into matches with relative ease all day.
DVious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DVious

Have they resolved the latency and matchmaking issues? That's the only real thing keeping me away.

gustavog117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gustavog117
JJWeatherman said:

I think its like a test, to see how people respond and if they like it better like this, then thay will change it.
Verdugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Verdugo

This old school idea is fine for the weekend, but not as a permanent update. I like things the way they are with GOW 2, with smokes knocking down people and all.

4 on 4 matches go by pretty damn quick though:D.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By mracoon

I prefer 5v5 but I agree that the concussive smoke grenades were a huge nuisance.

Avatar image for snoopeasystreet
snoopeasystreet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By snoopeasystreet

Looks like I'll have to put Gears 2 back in the 360.

I was a huge fan of Gears 1 multiplayer but for some reason Gears 2 didn't stick with me. 
SlimGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SlimGrim

I'd be more excited if this was a permanent thing. Still, I'll have to check it out...

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#14  Edited By godzilla_sushi

Not exactly great fun when you get smoked and pop up through a bridge so it's nice to have them out for a bit.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Nasar7

I sold my copy of Gears 2 long ago but this does sound like a much needed improvement.

Plasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Plasma

WHY DID I ONLY FIND OUT NOW ITS OVER D: !